Page 528 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 284284785185245255265275285295305315325385786281028 ... LastLast
Results 7,906 to 7,920 of 20948

What if it doesn't build up to a solo movie? What if it is just cameos and supporting role for Superman for the rest of Cavill's tenure as Superman?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I don't think he was well served by a lot of the films he was in, but I think he's got more than enough potential to be a great Superman. I think it's inevitable that we'll see Superman vs. Black Adam on screen.
    i really hope so.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    What if it doesn't build up to a solo movie? What if it is just cameos and supporting role for Superman for the rest of Cavill's tenure as Superman?
    That would be disappointing, but still preferable to pretending Superman doesn't exist or matter.

And in a way, cameos and supporting roles could be a very convenient way to recognize his importance, debatably more so than if he just had another self-contained solo film. By having him help or mentor other heroes, fight exciting villains, and serve as a part of various plots, it becomes more impossible to ignore or forget him.

Now there are plenty of ways that could go wrong, from forcing him to job to heroes/villains to marginalizing/satirizing him to the point of being ineffective. But it shouldn't be too hard to have him be a positive and fan-pleasing presence on various DC projects.

I'll take that over where we were previously, which was no Superman. Or, at best, this.

(And I say this as someone who loved Shazam.)

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Superman is a character who has not had a film that was a complete critical and financial success since the 80s. That's why they've been hesitant with the character (especially since MOS and BVS were both insanely expensive), and are now and more than happy to pursue other characters since Aquaman and Wonder Woman's solo movies were more successful.

If putting him in supporting roles to build up interest is what it takes to eventually get another solo movie, I'm fine.
    Very true but apparently they’re still planning on making HQ movies after SS was a critical disaster and BoP was a flop, so **** em, they keep giving HQ chances and have benched Supes even though Supes failures have been entirely their fault. They’re the ones who rushed MoS out to keep the Superman rights even though they have openly treated Supes with disdain. They let Snyder shove Batman into the sequel, went ahead with JL then created this current mess by firing Snyder and hiring Whedon instead of just letting Snyder finish and rebooting afterwards. I have no sympathy for them.
    Last edited by Vordan; 05-28-2020 at 08:48 PM.

Sad but still miles ahead of the no-show we have now.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Superman is becoming the Tony Stark/Nick Fury of future DC movies?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    That would be disappointing, but still preferable to pretending Superman doesn't exist or matter.

And in a way, cameos and supporting roles could be a very convenient way to recognize his importance, debatably more so than if he just had another self-contained solo film. By having him help or mentor other heroes, fight exciting villains, and serve as a part of various plots, it becomes more impossible to ignore or forget him.

Now there are plenty of ways that could go wrong, from forcing him to job to heroes/villains to marginalizing/satirizing him to the point of being ineffective. But it shouldn't be too hard to have him be a positive and fan-pleasing presence on various DC projects.
    @bold i would prefer to wait or have no superman than this.

Hopefully it will lead to more of Henry's Superman. I found Zack's take on it refreshing because it's something you don't get see a whole lot in comics.

Superman being conflicted, thinking if he's actually making a positive impact or just making things worse etc. Most comics just don't explore the aftermath of Superman's fights (people do get hurt...and at least some of them aren't gonna be happy, and are gonna blame Clark on some level. So it was interesting to see the world in DCEU being divided about him. Although to be fair, most comics don't explore early years of Superman as much....plus, we all want to have a bit of escapism in our comics).

I always found it interesting how Clark (being who he is) could ever stop being Superman (that is, not putting on the suit 24/7).

In one sense, every moment he is not, he's potentially not saving another life; there's always someone in danger. So you could technically make the argument that on some level. he's being selfish by trying to lead a normal life (nothing wrong with it; Clark deserves to lead a normal life).
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

It stuck me recently how similar DC and Marvel's movies have started to reflect their comics. Marvel started out putting out generally shabby stuff while DC was indisputably top dog of the entire genre, only for Marvel to overtake DC by giving audiences a truly cohesive world that was more irreverent and fun than the more stodgy DC stuff. And now, like in the comics, the DC films have begun a trend of revising their own continuity by allowing directors to recut previously released films, starting with the Donner Cut of Superman II, then the Snyder Cut of Justice League and, now, potentially a David Ayer Cut of Suicide Squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple J View Post
    Hopefully it will lead to more of Henry's Superman. I found Zack's take on it refreshing because it's something you don't get see a whole lot in comics.

Superman being conflicted, thinking if he's actually making a positive impact or just making things worse etc. Most comics just don't explore the aftermath of Superman's fights (people do get hurt...and at least some of them aren't gonna be happy, and are gonna blame Clark on some level. So it was interesting to see the world in DCEU being divided about him. Although to be fair, most comics don't explore early years of Superman as much....plus, we all want to have a bit of escapism in our comics).

I always found it interesting how Clark (being who he is) could ever stop being Superman (that is, not putting on the suit 24/7).

In one sense, every moment he is not, he's potentially not saving another life; there's always someone in danger. So you could technically make the argument that on some level. he's being selfish by trying to lead a normal life (nothing wrong with it; Clark deserves to lead a normal life).
    Yeah! That's entirely false. Postcrisis superman is taken to task by batman for all the navel gazing, not enough action and inspiration .

You want early years of superman? Read morrison's action comics run or siegel and shuster's action comics run. And yeah! Pretty controversial there as well.

Where do people get this narrative?postcrisis, For tomorrow, earth one.. Etc stories like that all have the conflicted superman. It's like people don't actually read his stuff. Just buy into a narrative on hindsight. Btw, man of steel has taken lots of influences of those stories. This superman is an amalgam of every iteration of the character. Hence,no one really gets a singular vision from the dude.
    Is it goldenage man of action? Nope and yes.
    Is it silverage man of tomorrow? Nope and yes.
    Is he donner superman? Nope and yes.
    Is it postcrisis byrne man of steel? Nope and yes.

Nope! Not really he is superman. Not god. He is only human. He can't save everyone.

Though savior interpretation is very much a thing. He is originally a champion. There is a difference. People may expect a savior. He can try pretty hard to save people as well. But, he ain't gonna be some divine savior. ( i do wish sometimes the savior complex didn't get tacked on to him. he started saying eff of to all bullshit like goldenage guy would, walk with head held high and real smile on his face)

"Nobody is as strong as they say i am"

right from the horses mouth. Sheesh! Superman can't catch a break. As said, superman will always be a controversial figure interpreted in different ways.Nothing in there is out of comics, its all from superman comics with zack Snyder’s own interpretation and leanings tacked on. Its just people will see what they hate about different interpretation. Those who like to see the negatives of those interpretations will get fixated on just that. Those who are unhappy with superman would think,cool!a new kind of superman. When the reality is something else.Also, superman is about creating supermen. If genre's existence and success isn't good enough proof of that then, i don't know what is. Superman's popularity is big factor in the genre creation.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-29-2020 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    It stuck me recently how similar DC and Marvel's movies have started to reflect their comics. Marvel started out putting out generally shabby stuff while DC was indisputably top dog of the entire genre, only for Marvel to overtake DC by giving audiences a truly cohesive world that was more irreverent and fun than the more stodgy DC stuff. And now, like in the comics, the DC films have begun a trend of revising their own continuity by allowing directors to recut previously released films, starting with the Donner Cut of Superman II, then the Snyder Cut of Justice League and, now, potentially a David Ayer Cut of Suicide Squad.
    I'm happy there isn't a need for a Jenkins cut...

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Yeah! That's entirely false. Postcrisis superman is taken to task by batman for all the navel gazing, not enough action and inspiration .

You want early years of superman? Read morrison's action comics run or siegel and shuster's action comics run. And yeah! Pretty controversial there as well.

Where do people get this narrative?postcrisis, For tomorrow, earth one.. Etc stories like that all have the conflicted superman. It's like people don't actually read his stuff. Just buy into a narrative on hindsight. Btw, man of steel has taken lots of influences of those stories. This superman is an amalgam of every iteration of the character. Hence,no one really gets a singular vision from the dude.
    Is it goldenage man of action? Nope and yes.
    Is it silverage man of tomorrow? Nope and yes.
    Is he donner superman? Nope and yes.
    Is it postcrisis byrne man of steel? Nope and yes.

Nope! Not really he is superman. Not god. He is only human. He can't save everyone.

Though savior interpretation is very much a thing. He is originally a champion. There is a difference. People may expect a savior. He can try pretty hard to save people as well. But, he ain't gonna be some divine savior. ( i do wish sometimes the savior complex didn't get tacked on to him. he started saying eff of to all bullshit like goldenage guy would, walk with head held high and real smile on his face)

"Nobody is as strong as they say i am"

right from the horses mouth. Sheesh! Superman can't catch a break. As said, superman will always be a controversial figure interpreted in different ways.Nothing in there is out of comics, its all from superman comics with zack Snyder’s own interpretation and leanings tacked on. Its just people will see what they hate about different interpretation. Those who like to see the negatives of those interpretations will get fixated on just that. Those who are unhappy with superman would think,cool!a new kind of superman. When the reality is something else.Also, superman is about creating supermen. If genre's existence and success isn't good enough proof of that then, i don't know what is. Superman's popularity is big factor in the genre creation.
    Oh not saying that we don't get a conflicted Superman (Incidentally, Earth One is one of my favorites), that it is not as explored...I suppose it was just my impression (confirmation bias, perhaps). I will check out Morrison's run; thanks.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

I would be surprised if these cameos/guest appearances aren't still hard shifts from Cavill under Snyder.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple J View Post
    Oh not saying that we don't get a conflicted Superman (Incidentally, Earth One is one of my favorites), that it is not as explored...I suppose it was just my impression (confirmation bias, perhaps). I will check out Morrison's run; thanks.
    I apologise for coming a little strong. I am gonna warn you though. If you go in thinking superman is this and this you may not like it. Its the same deal with anything that's goldenage superman interpretation(morrison's run touch on goldenage and transitions superman into silverage).The guy(superman) runs from police, is a complete vigilante that transitions to silverage heroics and he is back to goldenage strongman powerlevels that changes, ofcourse. Superman as a proletariat champion is the focus.Also, read superman smashes the klan. It has the same goldenage to silverage transition aspect. Personally, i am more of a pulp outlaw superman fan than even the silverage "superhero". I like the man of tomorrow but not as much. I don't particularly carefor "pop" culture idea of superman. I have major issues with postcrisis. So, i am biased. There will be others who can give a better recommendation. I grew up with phantom and one piece. A superman that's like that, just fit my taste.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-29-2020 at 10:23 AM.