Page 563 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 634635135535595605615625635645655665675736136631063 ... LastLast
Results 8,431 to 8,445 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    He's a child soldier. It's gonna be pretty hard. Especially, on a medium that is based more on realism. Then again, We had a sidekick in kickass. But, bruce would need to look more deranged.
    I mean, Titans and the Arkham games had Robin within a more realistic setting and I don't think people balked at it too much. It really just depends on the handling of it.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Arkham games doesn't work in the frame of realism, though. I don't know what the demographics is for titans tv show. Anyways, i think the stigma with robin also has to do with old robin costume and adam west tv show.It's sort of like aquaman and the talking to fish thing.

Arkham games doesn't work in the frame of realism, though. I don't know what the demographics is for titans tv show. Anyways, i think the stigma with robin also has to do with old robin costume and adam west tv show.It's sort of like aquaman and the talking to fish thing.
    From a design and world standpoint I think there's enough of a sense or reality to where it could migrate to an actual live-action property.

The demographic for Titans is pretty adult.

I mean, if Batman and Aquaman can overcome those same stigmas, why can't Robin?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

The demographic for Titans is pretty adult.

I mean, if Batman and Aquaman can overcome those same stigmas, why can't Robin?
    I meant the familiarity of audiences to the source material . Mass audiences would have people with no idea about the source material. Titans tvshow might have only attracted people who have a connection to the source material.

I am not saying robin can't. In fact i would welcome it. But, i am just saying these might be the factors for reluctance by the suits with character. At any rate, they could do nightwing.

I don't think he's that hard to pull off, though.
    No, not as a solo side thing. But the kid sidekick? No. I don't think it's wrong to leave him out of film. The other stuff works for him.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I mean, Titans and the Arkham games had Robin within a more realistic setting and I don't think people balked at it too much. It really just depends on the handling of it.
    I saw a few people wondering why a late twenty something Dick Grayson was still dressing up as Robin and wanting him to switch to the Nightwing identity quickly.

People seemed cool with Jason Todd's Robin though.

Marvel made Bucky the same age as Cap rather than go the teen sidekick route.

We may be seeing teen sidekicks/apprentices in Hawkeye the series and next Ant-Man film so it will be interesting to see how audiences respond to that.
    Last edited by chamber-music; 07-15-2020 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Except it isn’t real when you consider the fact that 5/6 last Marvel films released grossed over a billion versus 2/6 last DC films grossing over a billion (2 didn’t even make half a billion lol, and the other one barely did). I think something is wrong when Black Widow has a higher chance of reaching a billion than Wonder Woman does.
    I meant for me. The everything is connected fatigue is real for me. I get financially that the MCU is going strong and people are watching, but I just want to see more stand alone one hero stuff that won't impact the rest of the universe for a while.

And of the DC films that made a billion, one was a Elseworld. I think the MCU makes so many billion dollar movies because they are good and has audience trust. DC doesn't need to be a shared universe to make a billion dollar Wonder Woman movie.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Shared universe fatigue is real outside of the MCU. Other studios have tried to launch one and failed. DC came the closest because they have one of the greatest catalog of characters and full access to all of them, but they somehow managed to **** that up and now by necessity they pretty much have to focus on self contained movies of quality rather than worrying about crossing over. They haven't done much to show they get Superman on his own let alone worrying about having him interact with Batman.

As for Robin, the concept would work fine depending on how they do it. It's too vital of a relationship for Bruce to keep leaving out of adaptations. Just don't go all in on the child soldier thing, introduce Dick as a 13-14 year old and then time jump to the sequel where is around 18-19 and you can get a BTAS setup. Its not that hard

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    As for Robin, the concept would work fine depending on how they do it. It's too vital of a relationship for Bruce to keep leaving out of adaptations. Just don't go all in on the child soldier thing, introduce Dick as a 13-14 year old and then time jump to the sequel where is around 18-19 and you can get a BTAS setup. Its not that hard
    Yeah, I think this is more than doable. Make Robin competent enough, make Bruce and Alfred initially reluctant to put him in harm's way, and the audience will forgive the rest. He invented the concept and is so iconic, I don't see it as a big hurdle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Yeah, I think this is more than doable. Make Robin competent enough, make Bruce and Alfred initially reluctant to put him in harm's way, and the audience will forgive the rest. He invented the concept and is so iconic, I don't see it as a big hurdle.
    But is it a hurdle that's worth it?

I meant the familiarity of audiences to the source material . Mass audiences would have people with no idea about the source material. Titans tvshow might have only attracted people who have a connection to the source material.

I am not saying robin can't. In fact i would welcome it. But, i am just saying these might be the factors for reluctance by the suits with character. At any rate, they could do nightwing.
    I don't think it expected enough familiarity with the source material to where it would be all that different from a feature film. At least in my opinion.

Even stuff arguably more geared towards general audiences like the Arrowverse shows have Arsenal/Speedy and Kid Flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    No, not as a solo side thing. But the kid sidekick? No. I don't think it's wrong to leave him out of film. The other stuff works for him.
    Sidekicks are kind of a quinetessential archetype in action movies. I'm not expecting Golden Age Robin but that doesn't mean the character can't work.
    I think most people forget DCAU Robin was college-aged until Tim came along.
    For an established part of the mythos that the movies haven't done anything with in a while? I don't think so.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Considering Dick is the fourth most published character at DC and vitally important to Bruce, the answer is definitely yes.

Sidekicks are kind of a quinetessential archetype in action movies. I'm not expecting Golden Age Robin but that doesn't mean the character can't work.
    Doesn't mean he has to be added just because he could theoretically work, especially if the filmmakers don't want to add him (I don't think Reeves or Pattinson want Robin, not stated just my impression).

For an established part of the mythos that the movies haven't done anything with in a while? I don't think so.
    You don't think it's worth the hurdle either, or did you type that wrong?
    Considering Dick is the fourth most published character at DC and vitally important to Bruce, the answer is definitely yes.
    But comic success doesn't equal movie success. Superman is having trouble getting a good movie, Harley Quinn had a good movie that didn't do well, meanwhile Aquaman made a billion. No reason to believe Dicks success would translate - never mind he hasn't been Robin in decades, and Pattinson's Batman is too young to have gone through the whole Robin to Nightwing story.

Doesn't mean he has to be added just because he could theoretically work, especially if the filmmakers don't want to add him (I don't think Reeves or Pattinson want Robin, not stated just my impression).
    I don't think either has commented on it at all. Other than their approach (which doesn't rule it out because there's so much about it we're not sure about yet) I wouldn't rule anything out.

He doesn't have to be added but that doesn't mean he can't.
    You don't think it's worth the hurdle either, or did you type that wrong?
    I don't think it's even that much of a hurdle to begin with.
    But comic success doesn't equal movie success. Superman is having trouble getting a good movie, Harley Quinn had a good movie that didn't do well, meanwhile Aquaman made a billion. No reason to believe Dicks success would translate - never mind he hasn't been Robin in decades, and Pattinson's Batman is too young to have gone through the whole Robin to Nightwing story.
    That doesn't necessarily mean these characters are any less significant/important though.

No one is expecting Pattinson to start out with Robin but if this is really turning into a trilogy there is probably some expectation that they'll get into the sidekicks at some point.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I think fans and casuals alike would go crazy for an athletic and charismatic new Robin on screen.