Page 597 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 974975475875935945955965975985996006016076476971097 ... LastLast
Results 8,941 to 8,955 of 20948
    Astonishing Member

Dark Knight Was banned in China at the time, but Rises from what I can recall did fairly well, though not as well as either Amazing Spider-Man or Avengers(both released in the same year).
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Reboots doing worse than their immediate predecessor is usually an issue when said predecessor was hugely loved. Doubt that's an issue here. Batfleck himself had acclaim, but the three movies he appeared in were polarizing at best and panned at worst. You're not gonna have legions of viewers boycotting The Batman because someone else is in the suit.
    Last edited by Holt; 08-25-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Dark Knight Was banned in China at the time, but Rises from what I can recall did fairly well, though not as well as either Amazing Spider-Man or Avengers(both released in the same year).
    And even without China The Dark Knight did over a billion dollars with critical acclaim. And if the sequel didn't do as well in China? Still didn't do badly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Reboots doing worse than their immediate predecessor is usually an issue when said predecessor was hugely loved. Doubt that's an issue here. Batfleck himself had acclaim, but the three movies he appeared in were polarizing at best and panned at worst. You're not gonna have legions of viewers boycotting The Batman because someone else is in the suit.
    Plus the last solo film was nearly a decade ago, about the same time as Batman and Robin to Batman Begins. Time is a factor on how well reboots do I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    They also planned a lot of things before the failure of The Justice League shook things up. That Cyborg film isn't happening. I also don't agree with the idea that them merely existing in the same world draws huge interest. Maybe from a select segment of us comic fans, but the general audience? Sure it had their attention when Marvel pulled it off well, but after the Snyder films they've learned differently. The shared universe does nothing for them, the movies have to be good. And after 20+ MCU films I think that there's some tiredness of shared universes.

I really just don't believe that the shared continuity of the DCEU is as big a deal or as good a thing as you feel it is in a big picture general audience sort of way. The most successful DC films in recent years have been Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and JOKER. Only two shared continuity - of those two Aquaman only kind of acknowledged the previous movie in a joke line from what I remember and Wonder Woman is flat out contradicting stuff. So two movies have downplayed the shared continuity, and one exists outside it.
    Aquaman and Wonder Woman didn't really downplay continuity though, I mean, they directly events in BvS. This is what you would expect from a property in a shared universe. I like shared universes if their done well because its a great aspect of world building. I mean, wouldn't it be cool if for SS 3, some of the villains in the roster were pulled from other films? Like we have Black Manta or Cheetah, etc.

Nolan's trilogy was a reboot, it had a lot of interest. And that was coming after the Schumacher films years earlier. The Nolan films also didn't do so hot in China I imagine (were they even screened in China? I doubt The Dark Knight was considering the Chinese criminal Batman kidnapped/extradited out of the country). Nevermind Batman's biggest villain just got over a billion without China. The Batman is going to do just fine.
    The 1989 Batman film made 411 million in 1989 (about a billion sheks in today's dollaroos), while the first Nolan film made 350 in '08. It's a pattern we see in other franchises as well, like Superman, Spiderman and really every other Hollywood do over. Reboots cause a lot of people to loose interest and so the film performs worse at the box office than the original film. Sequels to rebooted films to do better though, but that's often because they overcome that initial stigma.

The Dark Knight wasn't released theatrically in China because of the Chinese subplot, but that's not the reason why I don't think it will do well in China. Traditionally, darker films like this don't do well in that market.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Aquaman and Wonder Woman didn't really downplay continuity though, I mean, they directly events in BvS. This is what you would expect from a property in a shared universe. I like shared universes if their done well because its a great aspect of world building. I mean, wouldn't it be cool if for SS 3, some of the villains in the roster were pulled from other films? Like we have Black Manta or Cheetah, etc.
    One line of dialogue because they kind of had to acknowledge the elephant in the room. I'd say that's definitely not playing it up for sure. I think it was playing it down, you can disagree, but I don't think there's an argument to be made that BvS or JL mattered at all.

And I get that you like shared universes when they're done well, but this one hasn't been. It's been hit or miss, mostly miss. The team ups especially hurt it. Epically in fact. That's not nothing, and hard to dismiss. We're not going to see another JL movie in a long time. 2027 at the earliest, give it a decade since the last one.

Personally, I don't care for the team ups. My favorite MCU movies have all been solos. Iron Man, Ant Man, the two Guardians of the Galaxy (a team, but not a crossover team up), etc. The Avengers have been more fun CGI spectacle fight scenes for me.

The 1989 Batman film made 411 million in 1989 (about a billion sheks in today's dollaroos), while the first Nolan film made 350 in '08. It's a pattern we see in other franchises as well, like Superman, Spiderman and really every other Hollywood do over. Reboots cause a lot of people to loose interest and so the film performs worse at the box office than the original film. Sequels to rebooted films to do better though, but that's often because they overcome that initial stigma.

The Dark Knight wasn't released theatrically in China because of the Chinese subplot, but that's not the reason why I don't think it will do well in China. Traditionally, darker films like this don't do well in that market.
    Again, Batman Begins came years after Schumacher, The Batman comes years after the Nolan trilogy. Add that Batman is even bigger now, with videogames galore, Affleck's non-solo outings, the animated movies, and more keeping him in the public spotlight, and there's a hunger for a new solo picture of the quality of the Nolan films.

And say that you are right about the reboot not doing as well because reboot? So what? It'll still be successful and then by your own logic the sequel will be freaking huge. Still dominating.
    And I don't think a solo DCEU Batman movie could do so hot after BvS and the JL...

And again I am saying it doesn't matter if it doesn't do as well in the Chinese market, it will more than make it up elsewhere. Why should movies be so beholden to the Chinese? The Dark Knight made a billion, the JOKER made a billion, several R-rated movies have been big successes and I don't think that you can show movies with that rating in China, yet Deadpool and Kick-Ass did well enough to get sequels. China isn't the only market.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I think having 2 Batmen would be ideal.

Let Ben Affleck continue as your shared universe Batman and let him have creative control over his own movies. Maybe premiere them on HBOMax. These could easily exist alongside Matt Reeves' THE BATMAN flicks.

The more quality BATMAN the better, and both actors are interesting and different enough that each series could offer something totally different.

Astonishing Member
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

I’m sure The Batman will be a fine film but my biggest gripe is that it looks like it’s trying to out Nolan the Dark Knight trilogy. The Riddler with no real costume (but hey it’s green) who is a “real world” killer. The Batmobile that looks like a suped up street racer. I just wish we could get a Batman movie that was more comic accurate. Yes it should be dark, Batman is a dark character, but I would love to see them create a world that has a dark vibe but one in which a character like Clayface or Man-Bat could legitimately exist in. Batman perched on rooftops with Robin, Nightwing, or Batgirl at his side. Pattinson was adamant that Batman “isn’t a superhero.” I don’t have high hopes that he’ll be too excited to add sidekicks to the mix.

Sadly, the most comic accurate Batman was the Affleck version but we didn’t get a full solo flick to explore that world.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The most comic accurate live action Batman we've had relative to the comics it was adapting remains the Adam West version.

Post-Crisis Batman comics were still able to have Year One in canon alongside Batman's entire history of sidekicks, so it's not impossible. It's a little too early to tell how this film series will go since it's so early on and none of the villains are their full selves yet and they may be later. I'd be annoyed if we went an entire film trilogy without Selina donning a no-bullshit Catwoman costume, but this early it's ok that she doesn't have it.

I would think getting Pattinson Batman from..well, this to mentor figure to Robin in a believable/organic way would actually be a challenge to both Reeves as a storyteller and Pattinson as an actor that would be rewarding if they manage to pull it off. Maybe it would interest them on some level.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The most comic accurate live action Batman we've had relative to the comics it was adapting remains the Adam West version.
    How can a show nominated for an Emmy as best comedy show have the most accurate live-action Batman?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Whole heartedly agree.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    How can a show nominated for an Emmy as best comedy show have the most accurate live-action Batman?
    1) the characters looked like the comic.

2) the comics were silly comedies in the 60's so the show was a perfect reflection of the comics of the time.

3) Nowhere else have we seen a man who can literally plan for ANYTHING. This is the man who had prepared Shark Repellant... in an aerosal format... which he stored not in the batboat, but the BATCOPTER! He was literally prepared for a Sharknado decades early.

Adam West = Batgod

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Whole heartedly agree.

1) the characters looked like the comic.

2) the comics were silly comedies in the 60's so the show was a perfect reflection of the comics of the time.

3) Nowhere else have we seen a man who can literally plan for ANYTHING. This is the man who had prepared Shark Repellant... in an aerosal format... which he stored not in the batboat, but the BATCOPTER! He was literally prepared for a Sharknado decades early.

Adam West = Batgod
    A noble porpoise also sacrificed itself to save him because it loved him and Robin that much. SUCK IT AQUAMAN.

Also Catwoman had a goddamn attack cat she would just throw at people, that show was great.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Remember when Doug Liman (of Bourne and Edge of Tomorrow fame) was set to direct the "Justice League Dark" movie but ultimately didn't?

Three pieces of concept art from his version of the film have been released. Seems like it would've taken some liberties with the source material...

(One of the images is NSFW)
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 08-26-2020 at 06:29 PM.

Astonishing Member

A noble porpoise also sacrificed itself to save him because it loved him and Robin that much. SUCK IT AQUAMAN.

Also Catwoman had a goddamn attack cat she would just throw at people, that show was great.
    Julie Newmar is the best Catwoman of all time, Hathaway comes second.

That Klarion take is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard lmao.