Page 601 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1015015515915975985996006016026036046056116517011101 ... LastLast
Results 9,001 to 9,015 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think it's from when the contract was first signed. I am no expert on this particular aspect of Hollywood contracts though. The first time I heard of it was when the cast of the Star Trek reboot had to be resigned for Star Trek Beyond because they'd waited too long to do the sequel. As a result, the studio doesn't want to do Star Trek 4 because they're contractually obligated to pay Pine and Quinto more money than the studio thinks would be profitable
    Then Cavill’s contract must either already be up or will be soon, it’s been 7 years since MoS and over 7 since he was first announced for the role.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They don't, it can just make for nice symmetry .
    Well, that kind of symmetry always has batman being the core of it and never the other way around. Its forced. The only difference between superman and batman is that, one is a rich detective fighting to take back from the Personal tragedy that occurred to him and the other is a working strongman who protects the weak because its the right thing to do and no matter other personal reason.One doesn't have much of a personality. The other seem to have lost it along the way. One is about controlling things. The other is about breaking chains.

Also, contracts get extended. We don't know what they have planned. I believe something is in the works or maybe not. Hopefully, we won't have superman being a wet towel compared to blackadam. Because that would just suck.I mean, they should really write "whatever happened to the man of action". Pronto,Get alan moore.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-29-2020 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Well, that kind of symmetry always has batman being the core of it and never the other way around. Its forced. The only difference between superman and batman is that, one is a rich detective fighting to take back from the Personal tragedy that occurred to him and the other is a working strongman who protects the weak because its the right thing to do and no matter other personal reason.One doesn't have much of a personality. The other seem to have lost it along the way. One is about controlling things. The other is about breaking chains.
    I think it's been the other way around depending on the story and there are plenty of other things that differentiate Batman and Superman.

I think it's been the other way around depending on the story and there are plenty of other things that differentiate Batman and Superman.
    From what i have read and from the progression i have felt.It's always superman being Batman's yang. "superman can't do this or that because that's too much like batman". When the truth is superman was scaring the corrupt before batman was a thing. Well, i don't see it. Other than personality, outlook about life, reasoning for being a vigilante and social standing. They are pretty much the same. It's just Batman in many good stories still has the samurai/western/pulp hero feel. I mean, he had a 3-way showdown in under the redhood. Superman on the other hand doesn't.He is stuck being metropolis's dad.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

From what i have read and from the progression i have felt.It's always superman being Batman's yang. "superman can't do this or that because that's too much like batman". When the truth is superman was scaring the corrupt before batman was a thing. Well, i don't see it. Other than personality, outlook about life, reasoning for being a vigilante and social standing. They are pretty much the same. It's just Batman in many good stories still has the samurai/western/pulp hero feel. I mean, he had a 3-way showdown in under the redhood. Superman on the other hand doesn't.He is stuck being metropolis's dad.
    There is a quote from Dave Gibbons in his introduction to the World's Finest miniseries from the 90s where he compares them to a yin and yang. Specifically he said Superman "embodies all that is powerful, clear and bright; Batman is all the is subtle, obscure and dark." And I feel there is a truth to that, but DC/WB creators seemed to have lazily focused on the bright/hopeful and dark stuff and ignored the other things to the detriment of both characters.

Especially Superman. There isn't a lot of "power" in the character as a symbol/force anymore. Batman lost a lot of the mystery as well, but the edgelord stuff they turned him into still sells unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    There is a quote from Dave Gibbons in his introduction to the World's Finest miniseries from the 90s where he compares them to a yin and yang. Specifically he said Superman "embodies all that is powerful, clear and bright; Batman is all the is subtle, obscure and dark." And I feel there is a truth to that, but DC/WB creators seemed to have lazily focused on the bright/hopeful and dark stuff and ignored the other things to the detriment of both characters.

Especially Superman. There isn't a lot of "power" in the character as a symbol/force anymore. Batman lost a lot of the mystery as well, but the edgelord stuff they turned him into still sells unfortunately.
    Well, that happens. Humanity rarely sees beyond absolutes. But, that's not the point though. we now have heroes that can be more uberpowerful than Superman and do the morality plays without the pretentiousness of "god amongst man" and boringness of discussion like that. For instance, one punch man ended the discussion on "collateral damage" in a page or two. While, superman had an entire issue dedicated to the aftermath of doomsday rampage. Yet, couldn't get the point across effectively. At this point, superman has no department where he can excell that others can't.

Being a loser who struggles with life despite the power-spiderman has it covered
    Fighting for convictions and freedom- caps got it
    Fighting for justice, finding the truth and scaring the corrupt - batman does it
    Morality plays of an all powerful being-one punch man has it covered with humour, i might add.

There is no domain for superman left. So, if the writers keeps trying to have the character be "not something else". Instead of telling a good and imaginative story with character, according to needs and requirements of the story. Where the character can be entertaining first and have some depth on top . The character would be negated to nothing. eg-let's say, superman is forbidden to have morality plays. Why cause one punch man does it? Superman just gives it up? Then what?

If you scale back a lot of the unique layers to Superheroes then they all look pretty much the same, but that's why there's a point to introducing unique elements that differentiate them.

I don't see Batman getting into the kind of fights that Superman gets up to so I'm not really seeing the issue there.
    Well, that happens. Humanity rarely sees beyond absolutes. But, that's not the point though. we now have heroes that can be more uberpowerful than Superman and do the morality plays without the pretentiousness of "god amongst man" and boringness of discussion like that. For instance, one punch man ended the discussion on "collateral damage" in a page or two. While, superman had an entire issue dedicated to the aftermath of doomsday rampage. Yet, couldn't get the point across effectively. At this point, superman has no department where he can excell that others can't.
    They're two different characters/stories in my opinion. Just because one handles a concept one way doesn't mean another series handling it differently is an automatic narrative, especially when the tone and style of storytelling for Superman up to that point was different from the kind of series One Punch Man is.
    Being a loser who struggles with life despite the power-spiderman has it covered
    Fighting for convictions and freedom- caps got it
    Fighting for justice, finding the truth and scaring the corrupt - batman does it
    Morality plays of an all powerful being-one punch man has it covered with humour, i might add.
    I don't think Superman has ever been like Spider-Man in that regard, or at least in an equivalent respect.

I would say he captures those aspects in a way unique to him to where there's no issue with overlap. Wonder Woman also overlaps in those respects but they're expressed uniquely in a way you could only do with her in my opinion.

Incredible Member

Problem with Superman is that he's seen as the "straight-laced" sort guy with no real personality that most people can't relate to. That, plus being TOO powerful at times, makes the character a hard sell.

Personally, I would scale back his powers; put definite limits on him. Focus on him actually like helping people in need, instead of seeing his role as a superhero a "burden of responsibility". And, above all, have Superman RELAX. He knows his next opponent could be his toughest one yet. But you know what? Superman RELISHES the challenge to test both his mind and body. Crack a joke once in a while. But above all, make him appreciate the wonders of the Universe, in all it's glory (shades of "All-Star Superman" meets "Man of Steel" meets George Reeves's "Superman").

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Problem with Superman is that he's seen as the "straight-laced" sort guy with no real personality that most people can't relate to. That, plus being TOO powerful at times, makes the character a hard sell.

Personally, I would scale back his powers; put definite limits on him. Focus on him actually like helping people in need, instead of seeing his role as a superhero a "burden of responsibility". And, above all, have Superman RELAX. He knows his next opponent could be his toughest one yet. But you know what? Superman RELISHES the challenge to test both his mind and body. Crack a joke once in a while. But above all, make him appreciate the wonders of the Universe, in all it's glory (shades of "All-Star Superman" meets "Man of Steel" meets George Reeves's "Superman").
    I think that's more of a legitimate complaint against Barry Allen. It's why adaptions seem to feel they need to inject other Flash's into his personality to make him more interesting.

I think that's more of a legitimate complaint against Barry Allen. It's why adaptions seem to feel they need to inject other Flash's into his personality to make him more interesting.
    While he doesn’t look exactly like comic book Barry, I think Grant Gustin has done a great job. He’s got a good personality but isn’t overly a wise ass “quipper” and he’s not the hyper active Bart Allen-like Flash. He just portrays Barry as a nice guy trying to do good. He somehow makes it work.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post

Overall I think Bendis’ Superman run has been average at best, but I’ve really enjoyed the voice he’s given Superman. Confident but also humble and even at times self deprecating, he’s funny but not again not a “quipper”. I don’t know Cavill’s range but I’d at least like to see him get a chance of a MoS sequel. Hopefully with a script that allows him to channel a more classic Superman. I recall a lot of people liking his portrayal of Supes in Whedon’s Justice League, if nothing else.
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-30-2020 at 09:22 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    While he doesn’t look exactly like comic book Barry, I think Grant Gustin has done a great job. He’s got a good personality but isn’t overly a wise ass “quipper” and he’s not the hyper active Bart Allen-like Flash. He just portrays Barry as a nice guy trying to do good. He somehow makes it work.
    Right. Sounds like CB Barry to me to a T.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

It’s a legit complaint about Snyder’s Superman who is indeed very dull and personality less. But that WB has basically turned the Flash into a Batman sidekick (when will Barry start talking about “Mr. Wayne” I wonder?) is a pretty damning indictment of how they view Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Right. Sounds like CB Barry to me to a T.
    I don't disagree, and I love Barry, but there have been plenty of other adaptions or instances of them making him act more like Wally or other Flashes to where it seems like an issue.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I don't disagree, and I love Barry, but there have been plenty of other adaptions or instances of them making him act more like Wally or other Flashes to where it seems like an issue.
    Snyder's JL run is a stand-out example, and he's been inconsistently portrayed in the New-52 era animated movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Why are you people so reboot crazy? You can just make a sequel to MoS that has a different tone.
    I'd rather reboot then continue on from MoS. That whole take just feels dead and done for me and I don't think there's any turning around. It's either reboot or accept the end of Superman as a solo film hero.