Page 602 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1025025525925985996006016026036046056066126527021102 ... LastLast
Results 9,016 to 9,030 of 20948

I don't think it's that dire. A new creative team on a sequel can turn things around. The Wolverine trilogy started with X-Men Origins: Wolverine and ended on Logan, after all.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Snyder's JL run is a stand-out example, and he's been inconsistently portrayed in the New-52 era animated movies.
    IMO, it's more a blender mix of the three (certainly for the JL film) than any one of the three by himself.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I don't think it's that dire. A new creative team on a sequel can turn things around. The Wolverine trilogy started with X-Men Origins: Wolverine and ended on Logan, after all.
    Yeah, but Jackman's Wolverine had already become a popular character who featured in popular movies. Cavill's Superman doesn't have that. And that's a huge difference.

I don't dispute that. I just don't agree with the idea that because he's been in iffy movies he can never have a good one. Especially when Wonder Woman and Aquaman originated in one of those same iffy movies and still managed to find massive success under different creative teams.

Edit: lol, nevermind.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 08-31-2020 at 07:14 PM.

Snyder's JL run is a stand-out example, and he's been inconsistently portrayed in the New-52 era animated movies.
    I actually thought those animated movies had a good take on Barry for what little screentime he actually got in those films.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If you scale back a lot of the unique layers to Superheroes then they all look pretty much the same, but that's why there's a point to introducing unique elements that differentiate them.

I don't see Batman getting into the kind of fights that Superman gets up to so I'm not really seeing the issue there.

They're two different characters/stories in my opinion. Just because one handles a concept one way doesn't mean another series handling it differently is an automatic narrative, especially when the tone and style of storytelling for Superman up to that point was different from the kind of series One Punch Man is.

I don't think Superman has ever been like Spider-Man in that regard, or at least in an equivalent respect.

I would say he captures those aspects in a way unique to him to where there's no issue with overlap. Wonder Woman also overlaps in those respects but they're expressed uniquely in a way you could only do with her in my opinion.
    Sure there is that, they all are. That doesn't mean the character has a domain anymore. Just because they are all a bit similar doesn't mean. We should stop searching for new elements. That would just create a stagnated product(even if i was talking about such a trait) . Moreover, that's the point i am making a character like superman needs to embrace everything in its arsenal now more than ever. And i mean, everything.Because, we are getting to the limits of the genre and character would need to tell atleast entertaining stories.

Really? Batman was taking on darseid. If you really want to split hair. He does the whole scifi thing and the action thing. It's not like batman is just a detective. His detective stories are really in the minority. The guy goes mecha most of the time. But, that's a topic for another discussion.

Them being two different characters doesn't negate that one punch man discussed the same point that superman did, and better. For people that would be all that matters. The character seems to be able to do the discussion without all "god" thing.There is a limit before people will tap out with that kind of discussion and yes, it has a limit as well. One punch man is entertaining, written well, does some discussion on the medium and the society itself in an imaginative way. That will be all that will matter when it comes to readers. Being different wouldn't matter. That superman book i mentioned is overwritten and boring. If i had to choose between the two. Guess, what i will pick?Stop making character boring.

When this, a cartoon does better job of being entertaining and getting the point across with powerful being than many superman stories. Then you know the so called morality plays aren't working. To engage in such discussions you need the obvious thing. Audience's attention.

Maybe not like him. But, he was a loser in different way. He is a working class spaceman. The man who has "everything".There is a real sense of solitude to the character that even spiderman could never have.(That doesn't mean angst either or it could depending on the audience. I mean superman does go cw drama now.)

If he did. There wouldn't be complaints of him being boring. I tend to agree. The character is written to be this boring figure. There is no imagination being put into the character at all. All i get is a spacedad. It gets old fast. Especially, when i can get other characters that explore the same things without being like that. Here is something that siegel and shuster never created superman for - "being boring". There is a reason wonder woman has ditched "flight" in the traditional sense for two movies. She swings on lighting and jumps around, gliding on the wind. Superman's "flight" as flying paragon is creatively bankrupt and easy idea.A guy running on electric cables>>>>>> a guy flying with the same old boring pose. Yes, i am being metaphorical . Also, the overlaps also means that superman would have an even harder time finding audiences. Because ww has used up an avenue. So, as said forget about about trying to be unique by being a paragon(hello! There are hundreds of flying bricks now). Just use everything to create a good stories. Overall, stop making character boring. Superman as a character was original unlike the gazillions that came after(yes! Taking inspiration from multiple sources doesn't make something not original) . All the more reason, for the character needing better care and way of telling stories. People have been saying superman is boring for decades now. And no, it's not because if powerlevel. It's the lack of creativity.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-31-2020 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Sure there is that, they all are. That doesn't mean the character has a domain anymore. Just because they are all a bit similar doesn't mean. We should stop searching for new elements. That would just create a stagnated product(even if i was talking about such a trait) . Moreover, that's the point i am making a character like superman needs to embrace everything in its arsenal now more than ever. And i mean, everything.Because, we are getting to the limits of the genre and character would need to tell atleast entertaining stories.
    I won't disagree that they should be making good use of the material they have available for Superman, as certain adaptions have.
    Really? Batman was taking on darseid. If you really want to split hair. He does the whole scifi thing and the action thing. It's not like batman is just a detective. His detective stories are really in the minority. The guy goes mecha most of the time. But, that's a topic for another discussion.
    I'll just say Batman doesn't usually take on Darkseid like Superman does, and I think his detective stories outweight any times the character has leaned more sci-fi.
    Them being two different characters doesn't negate that one punch man discussed the same point that superman did, and better. For people that would be all that matters. The character seems to be able to do the discussion without all "god" thing.There is a limit before people will tap out with that kind of discussion and yes, it has a limit as well. One punch man is entertaining, written well, does some discussion on the medium and the society itself in an imaginative way. That will be all that will matter when it comes to readers. Being different wouldn't matter. That superman book i mentioned is overwritten and boring. If i had to choose between the two. Guess, what i will pick?Stop making character boring.
    Personal preferences aside, again I just don't see the need to directly compare them to when the style of storytelling, tone, and mythos are as different as they are. One Punch Man's humorous bent works well for the kind of Manga it is and the genre it's at times parodying but I don't think that means the stories of Superman in the comics are wrong in how they approach their stories.
    When this, a cartoon does better job of being entertaining and getting the point across with powerful being than many superman stories. Then you know the so called morality plays aren't working. To engage in such discussions you need the obvious thing. Audience's attention.
    I've personally watched and read a lot of entertaining Superman content but I guess it depends on what you're looking for.
    Maybe not like him. But, he was a loser in different way. He is a working class spaceman. The man who has "everything".There is a real sense of solitude to the character that even spiderman could never have.(That doesn't mean angst either or it could depending on the audience. I mean superman does go cw drama now.)
    I don't think that makes him a loser.
    If he did. There wouldn't be complaints of him being boring. I tend to agree. The character is written to be this boring figure. There is no imagination being put into the character at all. All i get is a spacedad. It gets old fast. Especially, when i can get other characters that explore the same things without being like that. Here is something that siegel and shuster never created superman for - "being boring". There is a reason wonder woman has ditched "flight" in the traditional sense for two movies. She swings on lighting and jumps around, gliding on the wind. Superman's "flight" as flying paragon is creatively bankrupt and easy idea.A guy running on electric cables>>>>>> a guy flying with the same old boring pose. Yes, i am being metaphorical . Also, the overlaps also means that superman would have an even harder time finding audiences. Because ww has used up an avenue. So, as said forget about about trying to be unique by being a paragon(hello! There are hundreds of flying bricks now). Just use everything to create a good stories. Overall, stop making character boring. Superman as a character was original unlike the gazillions that came after(yes! Taking inspiration from multiple sources doesn't make something not original) . All the more reason, for the character needing better care and way of telling stories. People have been saying superman is boring for decades now. And no, it's not because if powerlevel. It's the lack of creativity.
    I feel like any character can get the "boring" complaint no matter how popular they are. Even characters like Batman or Spider-Man are probably viewed as boring to a certain sect of people. I don't use it as a strong barometer of criticism against a character, personally.

A lot of Wonder Woman fans want to see her fly in the movies.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I actually thought those animated movies had a good take on Barry for what little screentime he actually got in those films.
    I think for the most part, he was. He's adapted seriously in Flashpoint, for example. But then he's cracking jokes about Batman in the watchtower in one of the later ones in that awkward juvenile way that sometimes feels off.

A lot of Wonder Woman fans want to see her fly in the movies.
    If you don't disagree that superman should use everything in his source material. Then you should also agree that a superman doesn't fight for the weak as a working class man is no superman at all. The character has defined strength as acting to protect the weak. That is fundamental of the character. Superman is champion of the oppressed. Scaring the corrupt powerful is something the character does. The character isn't nearly a goody twoshoes guy. He did do the dickish stuff for both humor and straight reasons.

I haven't read many interesting superman stories with this premise to be honest. I get bored very easily. As said, superman starts to act like metropolis's dad. That instantly makes me tune out. But,i guess people like that.I personally want a superman in personality that's close to luffy or black adam in that promo or goldenage superman. That's who i think of when i think of superman, not clark kent. Superman should be the guy that makes you feel that he is gonna a punch that wall even if his hand gets broken in the process.

Heck! I would even accept some humorous supedickery moments like silverage guy did and jon does at this point. And the best of all, he should have one mean right hook.Anything that's not boring and doesn't have the personality of a stick.

The guy is partially responsible for his rut, same as peter. He makes things difficult for himself by all the lies and wimp acts. His own dickishness is also the reason why lois rejects him. So conclusion, He is a loser.Peter makes things difficult because of his own selfish desires. Clark does it because he is terrified of human nature and rejection.

I seriously doubt they want wonderwoman to fly like superman. What she is doing is miles better visually. Flying is the most overrated thing. Especially, when done unimaginatively. That was my point. Superman was never supposed to take to the sky. It was due to limitations of animation that he started flying. The character has more to offer than that kind of flight if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I don't dispute that. I just don't agree with the idea that because he's been in iffy movies he can never have a good one. Especially when Wonder Woman and Aquaman originated in one of those same iffy movies and still managed to find massive success under different creative teams.
    Yeah, but it's an uphill battle with the foundation as is and the perception of that take. Could you do it justice? Yes. Can you convince the executives and the audience to give him another chance? Meh.

What's the reward here? He's not a big deal actor, he's never going to turn in the masses. Recasting just seems the better option to me.

I think for the most part, he was. He's adapted seriously in Flashpoint, for example. But then he's cracking jokes about Batman in the watchtower in one of the later ones in that awkward juvenile way that sometimes feels off.
    He cracked jokes although it didn't feel too Wally-ish so it felt fine to me. I don't subscribe to Barry not having a sense of humor, just not DCAU Wally style of humor.

I didn’t find Barry’s portrayal in the recent animated movies too off. I think as a Flash, he’s going to be one step ahead of everyone around him. He should have a quick sense of humor. Barry wasn’t overly quippy or silly like JLU Wally. Really if fans are saying Barry doesn’t have much of a personality, DC really shouldn’t go out of their way to make him boring. In fact it should be the opposite. As long as it’s done in moderation, I say make him funny.

I think a lot of the complaints come from Wally West fans who think Barry is stealing his personality. The thing is Wally was only rarely portrayed as a funny guy in the comics. Anyone remember NTT? Wally was kind of a jerk.
    Last edited by Robotman; 09-01-2020 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I didn’t find Barry’s portrayal in the recent animated movies too off. I think as a Flash, he’s going to be one step ahead of everyone around him. He should have a quick sense of humor. Barry wasn’t overly quippy or silly like JLU Wally. Really if fans are saying Barry doesn’t have much of a personality, DC really shouldn’t go out of their way to make him boring. In fact it should be the opposite. As long as it’s done in moderation, I say make him funny.

I think a lot of the complaints come from Wally West fans who think Barry is stealing his personality. The thing is Wally was only rarely portrayed as a funny guy in the comics. Anyone remember NTT? Wally was kind of a jerk.
    He was a funny dude in the jl animated series as well. Many writers do write barry like they do wally. They wanted to sweep the character under the rug. That created more mess than they bargained for. Being jerk doesn't negate being funny as well. In fact, sometimes it helps.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

So strange to me DC is essentially at the point of the Fox X-Men movies continuity wise. Is any of it connected? Maybe. How? Don't worry about it.