Page 609 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1095095595996056066076086096106116126136196597091109 ... LastLast
Results 9,121 to 9,135 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Tenet projected for a dismal 20 million NA opening. Wonder Woman 1984 'bout to be delayed again.
    Hard to take numbers seriously this year. Theaters in Michigan are still closed statewide. Lot of movies i'd love to see, but not driving 4 hours to an Ohio theater >.<

That said... I think Tenet is a hard sell. Looks really weird and vague and the average person doesn't like to go see a show without any idea what the heck it's supposed to be.

"I" do... but movies that are advertised so vague tend to do a bit more poorly. Still, without theaters the numbers are useless.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Hard to take numbers seriously this year. Theaters in Michigan are still closed statewide. Lot of movies i'd love to see, but not driving 4 hours to an Ohio theater >.<

That said... I think Tenet is a hard sell. Looks really weird and vague and the average person doesn't like to go see a show without any idea what the heck it's supposed to be.

"I" do... but movies that are advertised so vague tend to do a bit more poorly. Still, without theaters the numbers are useless.
    Doesn’t help that Tenet’s reviews seem to be just “meh”.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I wouldn't mind WW1984 being delayed again.

Chiefly because we don't want people going to the theaters until things are safer. Secondly, we want this thing to do as well as it can based on it's own merits and not have the legs cut out from under it due to factors outside of anyone's control.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I wouldn't mind WW1984 being delayed again.

Chiefly because we don't want people going to the theaters until things are safer. Secondly, we want this thing to do as well as it can based on it's own merits and not have the legs cut out from under it due to factors outside of anyone's control.
    Agreed. I wish everything was delayed at least till the theaters open up. Mine are never full enough during the day to be worried about virus... so i'll be going as soon as they open. However until they do... i'm out of luck and i want to see these things on the big screen!

Why? I thought people were moving away from wanting 2-hour movies and preferring 10 episode series on HBO or whatever. The whole new 'golden age of Television' stuff. TV gets better character development of 10-20 hours than a big budget movie will ever get in 2...
    Not really - considering the MCU makes 2 or 3 billion dollar movies a year, there's not a chance in hell that people are moving away from wanting 2 hour big budget movies entirely. Yes, there are a ton of people who want and/or prefer a show, but that's not the same as everyone. We're getting to the point where there's a healthy mix of people who want one or the other or both. Which was my point - some of us will always prefer film, some shows, and some get even more picky. For example, you may want a show, imagining some big budget 10 episode Netflix/HBO show only, but the reality is that you got some cheap CW show instead. Or you want a big interconnected universe movie that'll introduce your favorite Batfamily characters to the cinematic universe, and they reboot outside the cinematic universe instead. Point is, people are always going to want a specific media representation of certain characters, and pointing out there's another version elsewhere is sometimes less good and more poking at a wound.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Why? I thought people were moving away from wanting 2-hour movies and preferring 10 episode series on HBO or whatever. The whole new 'golden age of Television' stuff. TV gets better character development of 10-20 hours than a big budget movie will ever get in 2...
    A show like Game of Thrones was getting fifteen million per episode, which is comparable to a 30-45 million dollar film, FWIW.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

WRT Tenet, the international numbers look decent. Not great, but arguably better than I would have expected.

So I think it's a tossup if the premiere of Wonder Woman 1984 will be postponed again. Though the situation is really strange in the US, given that cinemas being open in one state and closed in another can lead to long-distance travelling, which is another thing you want to avoid, if possible.

On another note, Ray Fisher posted an Instagram video with him commenting on the way things are going between him and WB right now. Not much new details, but to me he seems credible and more concerned about getting good results than with stirring shit up just because he wants to stir things up.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Not really - considering the MCU makes 2 or 3 billion dollar movies a year, there's not a chance in hell that people are moving away from wanting 2 hour big budget movies entirely. Yes, there are a ton of people who want and/or prefer a show, but that's not the same as everyone. We're getting to the point where there's a healthy mix of people who want one or the other or both. Which was my point - some of us will always prefer film, some shows, and some get even more picky. For example, you may want a show, imagining some big budget 10 episode Netflix/HBO show only, but the reality is that you got some cheap CW show instead. Or you want a big interconnected universe movie that'll introduce your favorite Batfamily characters to the cinematic universe, and they reboot outside the cinematic universe instead. Point is, people are always going to want a specific media representation of certain characters, and pointing out there's another version elsewhere is sometimes less good and more poking at a wound.
    That, too.

I also think it's less that there is a TV show and more the specific type of TV show.
    There is a golden age of television, but I don't think I would include the CW stuff in that. When I think "golden age," I think of the really well regarded stuff like Westworld (at least the first season), the Game of Thrones seasons that had the book material to draw from, Hannibal, Sharp Objects, True Detective's first season,or basically anything that isn't related to live action superheroes on the small screen.

Would an HBO series that was 13 episodes a season with an MCU level budget for Superman be my dream come true? Yes because that's the level of budget he'd need and the network would allow freedom and more hours for the story to breath. Is that realistic? Not even remotely. But characters of that type need either a film and film-level budget to be done justice, or a serialized animated series. I don't think the middle road of a CW type show is going to cut it. So being told Superman is getting a CW show (let alone one based around a premise I'm totally not into) isn't really a consolation for not getting a movie. Why would I care if it's not what I'm looking for?

Ultimate Member

My theory is that he realized he doesn't like hollywood... so instead of quitting and disappearing, he's making as much noise as possible to turn himself into some martyr for some cause. Nowdays you don't actually need proof or evidence or anything.. Accusations get you along just fine. So now when he doesn't get any more acting jobs... he can blame 'the Hollywood Machine'.

Well seeing that they are trying to get him in the Flash movie-all this mess doesn't help your cause.

Also, exact phrasing and voice matters. "If you go ahead with this, you will never be able to work in this industry again" can either be a threat or a warning, depending on relative power, their positions in the industry, personal relation, and exact tone quality.
    If the WB was the ONLY studio-I could see that as a real threat.

However Johns can't tell other studios what to do or who to hire. Johns is not going to tell Jordan Peele, Tyler Perry, Michael B Jordan, Ryan Coolger or others to not hire Ray.
    He can't tell folks who OWN their own stuff what to do. No one at Warner Brothers can either.

Lets say Marvel or Valiant or another company wants Ray-what can Johns do? Nothing. At worst that movie makes more than JL?

This could easily be another case of a talented young actor surrounded by agents and hangers-on feeding his paranoia and egging him on towards the worst career decisions possible, but, if this story has proven anything, it's that, just when you think it's over, another twist gets thrown in.
    I suspect this and probably some bitter agent using him to get back at a studio.

I also think it's less that there is a TV show and more the specific type of TV show.
    There is a golden age of television, but I don't think I would include the CW stuff in that. When I think "golden age," I think of the really well regarded stuff like Westworld (at least the first season), the Game of Thrones seasons that had the book material to draw from, Hannibal, Sharp Objects, True Detective's first season,or basically anything that isn't related to live action superheroes on the small screen.

Would an HBO series that was 13 episodes a season with an MCU level budget for Superman be my dream come true? Yes because that's the level of budget he'd need and the network would allow freedom and more hours for the story to breath. Is that realistic? Not even remotely. But characters of that type need either a film and film-level budget to be done justice, or a serialized animated series. I don't think the middle road of a CW type show is going to cut it. So being told Superman is getting a CW show (let alone one based around a premise I'm totally not into) isn't really a consolation for not getting a movie. Why would I care if it's not what I'm looking for?
    Exactly! I'm the same, telling me about the CW show makes not getting a Superman movie hurt worse, not less.

Exactly! I'm the same, telling me about the CW show makes not getting a Superman movie hurt worse, not less.
    I'd sacrifice the show for a movie in a heart beat. The recent DTVs too (it's not like any of them have been great recently- just listen to the flat voice acting). He doesn't need all that if the quality isn't there, IMO.

Main stuff I want is a film, an animated series (fat chance these days) and a video game. Those scratch the itches for me that live action cheap TV and DTVs can't really satisfy. And not just for Superman, I want that for Wonder Woman, Aquaman (at least they're doing great on the movie front), and others who have had even less.

I'd sacrifice the show for a movie in a heart beat. The recent DTVs too (it's not like any of them have been great recently- just listen to the flat voice acting). He doesn't need all that if the quality isn't there, IMO.
    I thought Jason Isaac and Jerry O'Connel did good jobs this year (haven't watched Man of Tomorrow yet).

Yep. It's like being sent down to Triple A in the minors. Superman should always be in the majors!

Main stuff I want is a film, an animated series (fat chance these days) and a video game. Those scratch the itches for me that live action cheap TV and DTVs can't really satisfy. And not just for Superman, I want that for Wonder Woman, Aquaman (at least they're doing great on the movie front), and others who have had even less.
    I don't know, I loved The Death of Superman one. Sure, it's the third dang time seeing it in film, but at least it was done right and with justice that time. But other than that, and that I don't care about a game, I gotta agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yep. It's like being sent down to Triple A in the minors. Superman should always be in the majors!
    He should be in the majors! There should be talk about animating Superman Smashes the Klan! There should be a Lex Luthor movie in preproduction after the success of JOKER! He should have a place in Legion of Superheroes to go against Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy! There's a lot of gold and silver left in the Superman mine if they just cared!

Eh, got worked up there. But he's one of my favorite characters of all time. If only the Superman fan in me had as much to celebrate as my inner Batman fan.

(I used to be much more of a Batman fan, but as I got more into Superman material he's risen to either an extremely close second or dead even right now. How can the studio not love Superman?)