Page 63 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667731131635631063 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Also Winter Soldier. Barely had any jokes and handled serious tones really well.
    Yeah, any Russso Marvel film is probably a good example of what I'm thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Quoted for truth. Im so glad we're moving away from Snyder's tone and actually matching each character with the tone that fits them.

Who would have thought that Wonder Woman and Aquaman would end up being DC's biggest properties!? Especially back when BVS was announced...
    Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam just may become the new DC Films Trinity.

I love Snyder's movies. I don't like them, I love them (I'm not counting Justice League, since it's not his movie so far). That said, I have high hopes for Aquaman and Shazam, especially because I don't think every movie should have the same tone or the same depth. This is what I love about comics, you can read something funny, then read a more serious one.... and I think it's great that we can have this diversity of tones in the movies too.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    I love Snyder's movies. I don't like them, I love them (I'm not counting Justice League, since it's not his movie so far). That said, I have high hopes for Aquaman and Shazam, especially because I don't think every movie should have the same tone or the same depth. This is what I love about comics, you can read something funny, then read a more serious one.... and I think it's great that we can have this diversity of tones in the movies too.
    I don't want all DCEU movies to look like Snyder's. But I also don't want them to look like the MCU. And that's the vibe I getting from the trailers (especially "Shazam") and these early reviews for "Aquaman". I'm still giving it the benefit of the doubt because I'm aware that most of this current generation of critics don't know how to articulate their thoughts and for them a good superhero movie = a MCU movie.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    I don't want all DCEU movies to look like Snyder's. But I also don't want them to look like the MCU. And that's the vibe I getting from the trailers (especially "Shazam") and these early reviews for "Aquaman". I'm still giving it the benefit of the doubt because I'm aware that most of this current generation of critics don't know how to articulate their thoughts and for them a good superhero movie = a MCU movie.
    Based on your posts, I can say we share a mutual sensibility when it comes to the DCEU movies so far, but I think we must stay positive.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A Superhero movie being fun and having jokes does not instantly make it a Marvel movie.

From all the promotional material and trailers we've seen I don't foresee this movie being as quip-a-minute as some Marvel movies. I think if anything it'll be closer in tone and style to Black Panther, which wasn't humorless but wasn't as comedic as other MCU movies.
    That would be a good balance for me. But I'm not sure the trailers suggest that. "That was awesome", "could have just peed on it", "redheads, gotta love em", "that was the worst pep talk like ever"...it worries me a bit. Not enough that I won't enjoy the movie, but there are signs of bathos.

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam just may become the new DC Films Trinity.
    If it means successful and well-liked films, all power to them .
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    That would be a good balance for me. But I'm not sure the trailers suggest that. "That was awesome", "could have just peed on it", "redheads, gotta love em", "that was the worst pep talk like ever"...it worries me a bit. Not enough that I won't enjoy the movie, but there are signs of bathos.
    I mean, I've had problems buying into Momoa as Aquaman from the beginning, but him in the suit and everything else about the movie looks like a pitch-perfect Aquaman adaption in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    Early reviews are also saying that the scope of Aquaman is unlike anything they've seen in a comic book origin film. So, there are still elements that separate Marvel from DC on that front. No one should have ever expected an Aquaman movie featuring Jason Momoa to be anything other than a rollicking good time. Not even Snyder wanted a dour and dreary Aquaman, which is why he cast a rock and roll Aquaman. Shazam should be Big, Elf, and Harry Potter rolled into one. You won't find anything like Aquaman or Shazam at Marvel.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Jaime Reyes ‘Blue Beetle’ Latino Superhero Movie in Development at DC and Warner Bros (Exclusive): https://www.thewrap.com/jaime-reyes-...ino-superhero/

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If it means successful and well-liked films, all power to them .

I mean, I've had problems buying into Momoa as Aquaman from the beginning, but him in the suit and everything else about the movie looks like a pitch-perfect Aquaman adaption in my opinion.
    I do love him in the suit and the world they're building. I just prefer him when he's serious and would prefer if they didn't go overboard with the jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Jaime Reyes ‘Blue Beetle’ Latino Superhero Movie in Development at DC and Warner Bros (Exclusive): https://www.thewrap.com/jaime-reyes-...ino-superhero/
    I can see this being a surprise hit.

The radio silence from Matt Reeves’ Batman is a little weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
    Is it weird? DC/WB is doing a lot of damage control sweeping the past Synder movies under the rug and focusing on WW84, Captain Marvel, and Aquaman. These movies need to reestablish faith in them and once that happens they announce the plans they have been doing quietly which will make fans go crazy.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
    Latest credible rumor was that he submitted the script and I think they liked it, but there is a strange silence.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Is it weird? DC/WB is doing a lot of damage control sweeping the past Synder movies under the rug and focusing on WW84, Captain Marvel, and Aquaman. These movies need to reestablish faith in them and once that happens they announce the plans they have been doing quietly which will make fans go crazy.
    This is true

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    DC/WB is doing a lot of damage control sweeping the past Synder movies under the rug
    In other words, they will once again use Snyder as scapegoat instead of owning their mistakes and trying to make amends with the fandom that supported the franchise since the beginning. Because they're only interested in pandering to critics, bloggers and MCU fanboys. And a lot of people here are TOTALLY okay with that. Hell, I bet if dig around, I will find out that some of these people even CELEBRATED when Snyder announced he was stepping down because of his daughter's death.

I remember when people here screamed at the sky that they would NEVER buy any comic from DC ever again every time someone walked away from a book because of disagreements with the editors. And here we are, with "fans" siding with studio suits against an actual filmmaker.
    Last edited by Thomas Crown; 11-29-2018 at 03:25 PM.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison