Page 658 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1585586086486546556566576586596606616626687087581158 ... LastLast
Results 9,856 to 9,870 of 20948
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well that didn’t age well lol.

Yeah AT&T/WB just got bodied badly. I have no clue what they’re going to do, the Marvel machine is just cranking out content. Meanwhile DC is awash in scandals, a controversial director in Snyder seems to be on the verge of taking back the reigns, AT&T is drowning in debt, and a lot of creators are pissed about HBO Max. Plus The Mandalorian managed to salvage Star Wars and is helping to rebuild the brand after the disastrous ST and now that franchise is cranking out content as well.

WB needs to get their act together fast. A Peacemaker show isn’t going to get people to sub, they need to figure out what they’re doing with DC and commit. Is Cavill in or out? Are they following Snyder’s vision or not? Make a choice execs.
    And their push into the Multiverse, which could have differentiated them from Marvel's more cohesive MCU, has already been on-upped by the Spider-Verse and Spider-Man 3 is leaning full bore into that, making Flashpoint look like it's playing catch up.

I love the DCU, but I don't see how they recover from these staggeringly stupid self-inflicted wounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    And their push into the Multiverse, which could have differentiated them from Marvel's more cohesive MCU, has already been on-upped by the Spider-Verse and Spider-Man 3 is leaning full bore into that, making Flashpoint look like it's playing catch up.

I love the DCU, but I don't see how they recover from these staggeringly stupid self-inflicted wounds.
    They’re just lucky they were able to do Crisis on Infinite Earth in the Arrowverse. At least they have some way of showing mainstream audiences that they had a multiverse to play with. The Flash is basically the founder of the comic book multiverse concept. It’s a bummer that he’ll always be running behind Spider-Man and Dr. Strange. But I guess running late is Barry’s thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    They’re just lucky they were able to do Crisis on Infinite Earth in the Arrowverse. At least they have some way of showing mainstream audiences that they had a multiverse to play with. The Flash is basically the founder of the comic book multiverse concept. It’s a bummer that he’ll always be running behind Spider-Man and Dr. Strange. But I guess running late is Barry’s thing.
    I tend to think that just focusing on doing the best possible version of a "Flash..." multiverse story feels like the smartest move.

Sort of a "You Are Competing Against Yourself..." approach.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    They’re just lucky they were able to do Crisis on Infinite Earth in the Arrowverse. At least they have some way of showing mainstream audiences that they had a multiverse to play with.
    But they actually did it in the worst possible way.
    For DC shows and movies these days the multiverse looks just like a way to justify continuity problems. In the Spider-Verse cartoon it was actually used in a creative way.
    Last edited by Myskin; 12-11-2020 at 01:11 AM.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

edited post.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    But they actually did it in the worst possible way.
    For DC shows and movies these days the multiverse looks just like a way to justify continuity problems. In the Spider-Verse cartoon it actually was used in a creative way.
    The shows have been fairly creative with the multiverse. It wasn't just for continuity problems.

DC isn't perfect but people just feel the need to pick apart every single thing they do just because it isn't exactly like Marvel.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The shows have been fairly creative with the multiverse. It wasn't just for continuity problems.

DC isn't perfect but people just feel the need to pick apart every single thing they do just because it isn't exactly like Marvel.
    The problem is not that DC is not Marvel.
    The problem is just that Marvel is THE winning model these days and 90% of what DC does couldn't even be considered as an alternative model in any possible way.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I am just happy that the first family of marvel is gonna be get a movie.Finally!fantastic four!I am a hulk fan.But,she hulk hasn't been able to attract me.Overall more interested in bucky and sam's adventures.I don't think wb can ever compete with the disney machine.They organise and present things in much better way.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

The problem is not that DC is not Marvel.
    The problem is just that Marvel is THE winning model these days and 90% of what DC does couldn't even be considered as an alternative model in any possible way.
    Of course it's about how they aren't Marvel. That's exactly what the criticisms in this conversation are about. Look at the comments, your included.

DC's track record is nowhere near as bad as what people are claiming. The only truly badly received movies in the DCEU are Suicide Squad and Justice League. Everything else had, at worst, a mixed reception and still pulled in money. The CW shows are still regularly popular and DC animation is also leaps ahead of what Marvel is doing. Not to mention their success with games like Injustice.

Yes Marvel is the winning model but DC is not that far behind. It's just that forums like this like picking apart every mistake they make creating an at times rather obnoxious echo chamber of "the sky is falling" views. It's basically like being a Star Wars fan. Every day is a new screed about how DC is ruined forever and they will never recover until they do and then something we start the whole cycle all over again. Rather than judge DC on its own merits we judge them by what they aren't while the actual problems they have don't get anywhere near the proper nuance and examination they deserve. If you make it about how they can't one up Marvel, of course they're going to look bad every time but maybe, just maybe, that shouldn't be the goal.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-11-2020 at 01:56 AM.

the problem is marvel feels like it has game plan and things feel structured.They don't feel reactionary.Even when things go bad.It feels like there is a system that deals with it and resolves it silently.For example,the natalie portman situation.This efficiency allows them to turn back clock and even change failure's like incredible hulk or f4 into success,slowly.they build on things and everything gets used if need be.DC/WB in comparsion feels like unorganised people speaking over people and stepping on each others toes.Disney feels like professionals dealing with costumers.WB feels like that dude who might have somethings that people want,might know his stuff and might be honest .But,he can't sell squat except for the things that get noticed by mistake.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-11-2020 at 02:11 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Of course it's about how they aren't Marvel. That's exactly what the criticisms in this conversation are about. Look at the comments, your included.

DC's track record is nowhere near as bad as what people are claiming. The only truly badly received movies in the DCEU are Suicide Squad and Justice League. Everything else had, at worst, a mixed reception and still pulled in money. The CW shows are still regularly popular and DC animation is also leaps ahead of what Marvel is doing.
    Look, if you really think that CW Supergirl and CW The Flash, or even direct-to-video animated movies could be comparable with what Disney is currently producing for Disney+, or even in general, we are living in two different worlds.
    Creatively speaking, almost nothing DC/At&T is currently producing is that different from Marvel works. Most of DC shows/movies look and sound as secondhand Marvel movies. It's not that we have, I don't know, Disney-quality works and classic-HBO-quality works. We have Disney-quality works and imitations of Disney-quality-works.
    As far as I am concerned, I won't probably even watch most of this stuff (Disney OR DC) - thankfully I am too old for superhero stuff or even Star Wars - but seriously thinking that this could be a real alternative model to Disney is almost delusional at this point.
    Last edited by Myskin; 12-11-2020 at 02:42 AM.

WB has the hanna barbera,dc,looneytunes,tom&jerry...etc.Yet,these brands aren't what they used to be.Especially,now when they need it to be.Even batman can't save these guys now.Pretty soon even batman is gonna get buried or bought out by another because of the sheer amount of diversity they put forward for mainstream audience and in organised quality manner.Even batman will be yesterdays news.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While I'd have to look around for the article, I could almost swear that HBO(At the time soon to be HBOMax...) passed on it because they thought that it was too expensive.

Which is kind of a mind blower.
    Good lord.. if that’s true I don’t even know what to say. One of the greatest DC comics ever and they passed it on to their competitor?? There’s so much potential in that (altho I still feel it’s super hard to adapt so it may not end up perfect) but a Sandman that hits could possibly be a major success

I just don’t get it. I hope that isn’t true and it’s just bad timing instead of incompetence

Edit: I saw that it was HBO itself and not HBO Max that passed on it. That’s a completely different story then. HBO is pretty independent in choosing projects so they can’t be forced to take anything. At least we got a masterpiece Watchmen from them. If Max had passed on Sandman though, it would have been horrifying
    Last edited by The Kid; 12-11-2020 at 02:51 AM.

Look, if you really think that CW Supergirl and CW The Flash, or even direct-to-video animated movies could be comparable with what Disney is currently producing for Disney+, or even in general, we are living in two different worlds.
    HBO Max has the Watchmen series. Maybe Disney will produce something of similar caliber and maybe they won't. But to claim nothing of any great merit has come from WB/DC that is comparable is false.

Creatively speaking, almost nothing DC/At&T is currently producing is that different from Marvel works. Most of DC shows/movies look and sound as secondhand Marvel movies. It's not that we have, I don't know, Disney-quality works and classic-HBO-quality works. We have Disney-quality works and imitations of Disney-quality-works.
    And now you're moving the goal posts.

As far as I am concerned, I won't probably even watch most of this stuff (Disney OR DC) - thankfully I am too old for superhero stuff or even Star Wars - but seriously thinking that this could be a real alternative model to Disney is almost delusional at this point.
    But apparently you're not too old to complain about it. What exactly are you getting out of this conversation if you think yourself so above it? Why are you even so invested in their quality if you think it's out of your age range? I don't go commenting on shows I'm too old to bother with.

You don't wanna watch, fine. But I'm not sure what you think you're contributing here with these comments over something you're too old for. It all just reeks of old man yelling at clouds, at the risk of using a cliche.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-11-2020 at 02:53 AM.

Link to the article and the bit in question...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/...lix-tv-series/

In 2013, news broke that Gaiman had teamed up with actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt to develop a feature film at New Line (owned by Warner Bros.), but Gordon-Levitt ultimately left the project over "creative differences" three years later. Sandman/Dream/Morpheus looked like he would again dissolve into development hell, but one of the last screenwriters to work on the project, Arrival's Eric Heisserer, opined that Sandman should really be a TV series.

So Warner Bros. started shopping around a TV adaption of The Sandman. HBO passed—it's got a lot of pricey Game of Thrones spinoff series eating up the budget—but Netflix pounced, with a straight-to-series order. Gaiman will serve as an executive producer along with David Goyer, whose filmography is nothing to sneeze at. Allan Heinberg, whose credits include Wonder Woman and Grey's Anatomy, has reportedly signed on as showrunner.