Page 659 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1595596096496556566576586596606616626636697097591159 ... LastLast
Results 9,871 to 9,885 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Link to the article and the bit in question...

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/...lix-tv-series/
    Yea thanks for the link! Imo that’s not as bad since HBO and HBO Max are two different things. Max is just using the HBO brand name to try and sell. It’s a shame they passed on it but it’s more understandable that it was regular HBO that didn’t take it. The good news is that they apparently only passed on it for budget reasons so the script might actually be really good. Fingers crossed the Netflix series is a banger. I’d be down to see a lot of DC’s Vertigo series get great adaptations

Imagine a comic accurate Hellblazer..

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    HBO Max has the Watchmen series. Maybe Disney will produce something of similar caliber and maybe they won't. But to claim nothing of any great merit has come from WB/DC that is comparable is false.
    ALMOST nothing. Read what I have written above. It's not that Watchmen is an average DC product. It's the exception to what have become an incredibly depressing rule.

But apparently you're not too old to complain about it. What exactly are you getting out of this conversation if you think yourself so above it? Why are you even so invested in their quality if you think it's out of your age range? I don't go commenting on shows I'm too old to bother with.
    I do, because the evolution of commercial products (including entertainment-related works) and fan drama are quite interesting, or even funny, to watch.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    AT&T is billions of dollars in debt. I don’t think there’s any way they could afford to create shows anywhere near the level as Disney.

Why do we have Superman in a CW quality show but War Machine and the Winter Soldier in the highest level of tv production? Look to their parent companies. But truthfully, no one can compete with Disney.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

It's not that DC movies or other competitors are exactly "above" Disney in creative terms. Disney is just the largest shark in a sea of other, smaller sharks who'd like to be Disney but they are not. If I want real, good movies, I'll look for them among A24 works. With possibly very few exceptions such as Dune.
    Last edited by Myskin; 12-11-2020 at 03:40 AM.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    cue star wars music
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Like how they boycotted Fantastic Beasts or the Pirates movies because of Depp?
    Yeah, the boycott against Aquaman 2 over Heard is a nonstarter, especially after Depp losing in court recently.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Of course it's about how they aren't Marvel. That's exactly what the criticisms in this conversation are about. Look at the comments, your included.

DC's track record is nowhere near as bad as what people are claiming. The only truly badly received movies in the DCEU are Suicide Squad and Justice League. Everything else had, at worst, a mixed reception and still pulled in money. The CW shows are still regularly popular and DC animation is also leaps ahead of what Marvel is doing. Not to mention their success with games like Injustice.

Yes Marvel is the winning model but DC is not that far behind. It's just that forums like this like picking apart every mistake they make creating an at times rather obnoxious echo chamber of "the sky is falling" views. It's basically like being a Star Wars fan. Every day is a new screed about how DC is ruined forever and they will never recover until they do and then something we start the whole cycle all over again. Rather than judge DC on its own merits we judge them by what they aren't while the actual problems they have don't get anywhere near the proper nuance and examination they deserve. If you make it about how they can't one up Marvel, of course they're going to look bad every time but maybe, just maybe, that shouldn't be the goal.
    Batman vs. Superman as well given it’s critical reception and how hard it dropped off.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I get where he's coming from insofar as local cinema houses and art house theaters, those places need to be nurtured and kept afloat. Generally the big megaplexes are where these movies are seen though and they're in no way 'shaping culture'. Going to see Avengers 16, or hell even something like Dune, in a filthy AMC is not the forward thrust of civilization.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-11-2020 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yeah, the boycott against Aquaman 2 over Heard is a nonstarter, especially after Depp losing in court recently.
    Your average person doesn’t even know or care about that stuff. If it gets good reviews people will go see it.

Yeah, HBO Max will need Harry Potter.

At least one high level executive on HBO Max have as the main job convicing JK Rowling to let them do a Wizarding World tv show.

I find it strange that Disney can have one of its worst years in history and people still imagine them as being an unstoppable juggernaut.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 12-11-2020 at 10:00 AM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Batman vs. Superman as well given it’s critical reception and how hard it dropped off.
    The majority of the Transformer movies did the same thing at the box office, yet people still kept seeing them (despite being negatively critiqued more for the usual reasons, unlike expectations in regard to BvS).

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I find it strange that Disney can have one of its worst years and history and people still imagine them as being an unstoppable juggernaut.
    The future looks bright for them. Sure it could all crash and burn but it looks like they’ve put the right people in charge to run things. Meanwhile over at WB we still don’t know what the plan is or if there even is a plan at all. AT&T is drowning in debt and the Bloodbath cut DC to the bone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The majority of the Transformer movies did the same thing at the box office, yet people still kept seeing them (despite being negatively critiqued more for the usual reasons, unlike expectations in regard to BvS).
    JL crashes pretty damn hard though. BvS had the hype of Batman & Superman meeting and fighting for the first time ever. Afterwards though many people totally wrote Snyder and his movies off. We’ll see just how large the Snyder fanbase is when the Snyder Cut comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Your average person doesn’t even know or care about that stuff. If it gets good reviews people will go see it.
    Agreed. As they used to say somewhere, that dog don't hunt.