Page 674 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1745746246646706716726736746756766776786847247741174 ... LastLast
Results 10,096 to 10,110 of 20948

I’ve seen a lot of people who are pissed that the movie was set in the 1980s but has zero 80s music on the soundtrack.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’ve seen a lot of people who are pissed that the movie was set in the 1980s but has zero 80s music on the soundtrack.
    The movie doesn’t really capitalize on its 1984 setting for either thematic purposes or cheesy jokes. It easily could have been set in the present and nothing would need to be changed except a handful of fairly limp jokes on 80s fashion and a couple seconds of Diana destroying cameras in order to keep up the ridiculous notion that Batman has never heard of Wonder Woman prior to BvS, even though literally hundreds of people witness her in broad daylight and she's involved in a serious security breach at the White House that would have put her on the radar of every American intelligence agency.

What I'd like to know is why it was set in the 80s or what there was to be gained by that setting apart from banal fashion jokes. I think if one were to ask Patty Jenkins (or anyone involved with that decision) why this was set in the 80s the only honest answer would be "We forgot. We actually forgot why did that. We must have had a reason, right?"

It gives me no pleasure to say that this was a bad movie. How disappointing.

It’s such a bummer that Wonder Woman 84 is getting such mediocre to poor reviews.
    It's a considerably bigger bummer that the movie deserves such reviews. It went from a high 80s aggregate on RT to 67, meaning it lost its "fresh" certification. No surprise there. It was rotten.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    It's a considerably bigger bummer that the movie deserves such reviews. It went from a high 80s aggregate on RT to 67, meaning it lost its "fresh" certification. No surprise there. It was rotten.
    so what with these ratings, Aquaman got 65 score and went to be the greatest DCEU hit, that no other movie from the same dceu came even close to.
    Its the audience that has the ultimate say, not a handful reviewers who give ratings.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    What I'd like to know is why it was set in the 80s or what there was to be gained by that setting apart from banal fashion jokes. I think if one were to ask Patty Jenkins (or anyone involved with that decision) why this was set in the 80s the only honest answer would be "We forgot. We actually forgot why did that. We must have had a reason, right?"

It gives me no pleasure to say that this was a bad movie. How disappointing.
    The Cold War, it was the era of "me" and "greed is good," and villain himself was 80's businessman Trump. It's not like the story didn't acknowledge that it was in the 80's, they went into various things which happened in the 80's to establish the status quo for Steve. It was also heavily influenced by 80's movies, like Donner's Superman.

It wasn't a bad movie, in my opinion. In fact, I'd call it a highlight of the DCEU.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, I liked the Ares fight, so maybe I have a better chance of actually enjoying it .
    Ares? She fought Ned Flanders at the end of the first movie.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    The Cold War, it was the era of "me" and "greed is good," and villain himself was 80's businessman Trump. It's not like the story didn't acknowledge that it was in the 80's, they went into various things which happened in the 80's to establish the status quo for Steve. It was also heavily influenced by 80's movies, like Donner's Superman.

It wasn't a bad movie, in my opinion. In fact, I'd call it a highlight of the DCEU.
    Yeah, the time period is pivotal to the story.

I'm really glad they didn't overdo the 80s jokes. Gordon Gekko's "Greed is Good" Reaganism is the point. More, more, more vs Wonder Woman.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-26-2020 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Yeah, the time period is pivotal to the story.

I'm really glad they didn't overdo the 80s jokes. Gordon Gekko's "Greed is Good" Reaganism is the point. More, more, more vs Wonder Woman.
    I loved the 80s

I almost wonder if some folks didn't expect the "Eighties Music..." equivalent of the G.O.T.G. soundtrack.

Even though that felt like the last thing they were going to actually do.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I almost wonder if some folks didn't expect the "Eighties Music..." equivalent of the G.O.T.G. soundtrack.

Even though that felt like the last thing they were going to actually do.
    Well they had Blue Monday playing during the trailer so you can’t really fault people for thinking that at least one 80s song would be in the actual film.

Fantastic Member

Well they had Blue Monday playing during the trailer so you can’t really fault people for thinking that at least one 80s song would be in the actual film.
    There is Gary Numan playing where she meets the GUY for the first time during the gala.

Was planning on watching the movie today. I’ve avoided spoilers but saw a review that compares WW84 to Superman II. That pretty much killed my enthusiasm. I recognize the old Superman films are groundbreaking but I absolutely despise them. They’re just too corny and “Sweet”. I enjoyed the first WW movie so I’m still holding out hope for 84.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Ares? She fought Ned Flanders at the end of the first movie.
    Well, that was the whole point of the disguise...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    Was planning on watching the movie today. I’ve avoided spoilers but saw a review that compares WW84 to Superman II. That pretty much killed my enthusiasm. I recognize the old Superman films are groundbreaking but I absolutely despise them. They’re just too corny and “Sweet”. I enjoyed the first WW movie so I’m still holding out hope for 84.
    I'm fine with that if used appropriately.

Astonishing Member

Wonder Woman 3’ in the Works With Director Patty Jenkins

After 1984, I don’t find myself terribly excited about a third movie with Jenkins. More power to people who liked this movie & thought it was good, but it was a terrible slog all the way through for me, and I won’t be revisiting it anytime soon. I admire that Patty did a complete 180 and tried to do something different from the previous movie but it just didn’t come together for me. Which is a shame since I really dug the first film even if it was rather formulaic.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 12-27-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.