Page 692 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1925926426826886896906916926936946956967027427921192 ... LastLast
Results 10,366 to 10,380 of 20948

Yeah if WB hadn’t already extended Hamada I’d be worried. Birds of Prey flopped and WW1984 hasn’t been received very well critically. The Snyder Cut will also probably be another Rotten. If they hadn’t extended him, I wouldn’t have ruled out Hamada being let go. Least there’s The Suicide Squad coming, that should review well.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah if WB hadn’t already extended Hamada I’d be worried. Birds of Prey flopped and WW1984 hasn’t been received very well critically. The Snyder Cut will also probably be another Rotten. If they hadn’t extended him, I wouldn’t have ruled out Hamada being let go. Least there’s The Suicide Squad coming, that should review well.
    BoP did not flop, WW84 is doing fine commercially, and the Snyder Cut will be a hit for HBOMax. Hopefully these execs take more of a backseat and let actual filmmakers do their thing.

Let's just get rolling on the AQUAMAN sequels! SHAZAM! too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Peter David did the bearded shirtless bad ass version of Aquaman in the comics way before Geoff Johns touched the character. PAD is more responsible for turning the character from the Superfriend who talks to fish into the undersea warrior king than anyone else.
    Peter David's AQUAMAN has nothing to do with the movie. The movie is totally from Geoff Johns Aquaman, with a good mixture of classic Aquaman. James Wan really worked a lot of great stuff into it, I can't wait to see where he goes with sequels- the dude rocks.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-09-2021 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    BoP did not flop, WW84 is doing fine commercially, and the Snyder Cut will be a hit for HBOMax. Hopefully these execs take more of a backseat and let actual filmmakers do their thing.

Let's just get rolling on the AQUAMAN sequels! SHAZAM! too.
    BoP absolutely flopped, it just barely broke even last I checked. WB wants the critical reception of their stuff to equal the critical reception of Marvel’s stuff, because getting a Rotten score impacts long term profits and brand power. SC will probably perform like most Snyder movies: Terrible critical reception, strong debut, catastrophic legs. If it reviews poorly we’ll see just how many hardcore Snyder fanboys there are out there, because I doubt the average person has any interest in a 4 hour Snyder movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    BoP absolutely flopped, it just barely broke even last I checked. WB wants the critical reception of their stuff to equal the critical reception of Marvel’s stuff, because getting a Rotten score impacts long term profits and brand power. SC will probably perform like most Snyder movies: Terrible critical reception, strong debut, catastrophic legs. If it reviews poorly we’ll see just how many hardcore Snyder fanboys there are out there, because I doubt the average person has any interest in a 4 hour Snyder movie.
    Meh, Harley Quinn moves lots of merchandise and anything that furthers that is a good thing for brand. The BoP movie broke more than even if you look at the numbers. I personally thought the movie was terrible, but people liked it. I get if these movies aren't for you personally, but to suggest they're for no one is really stretching.

A 4 hour movie will do fine with viewers. It's streaming, so you can watch at your leisure away from a dirty megaplex. Lots of people watch series with multiple episodes.

The Marvel/DC rivalry is entirely a fanboy thing. They're not in competition, these movies coexist.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-09-2021 at 07:58 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    And made it popular. Like it or not, it was Johns who made Aquaman a character that WB wasn't very afraid of making a movie based on him.
    Only because WB execs don't usually read comic books, or they'd know about PAD's rendition. Unfortunately PAD isn't a high rank WB exec like Johns is. Johns' Aquaman isn't even that originally, it's building on what PAD created before him.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Why do you always sound angry? Calm the heck down and stop bringing Marvel every single time someone dare to talk about DC movies or their "minority". I wonder why you even bother with DC because you always seem unhappy about them.

And yes, WB does care about comics sales and reception. Why the heck do you think GL got a movie and animated show suddenly? Because of the huge success of Hal's return in comics. It doesn't mean that it's the only factor for WB to consider whether to do a movie or series about a character nor I claim that it's.
    You mean, besides the fact Johns himself was directly involved with that movie? The animated show was a Bruce Timm production, he didn't help from a comic book to get Hal Jordan as the protagonist. He's a straight white man, execs are ok with that for leading characters in any tv show. But where are you getting the idea that comic sales matter that much to execs? Which execs are going around telling the media the main reason they chose this production was because of comic sales? Comic sales are great but they're not the final arbiter of characters getting movies or tv shows, otherwise Wanda Maximoff wouldn't be getting one right now.

Meh, Harley Quinn moves lots of merchandise and anything that furthers that is a good thing for brand. The BoP movie broke more than even if you look at the numbers. I personally thought the movie was terrible, but people liked it. I get if these movies aren't for you personally, but to suggest they're for no one is really stretching.

A 4 hour movie will do fine with viewers. It's streaming, so you can watch at your leisure away from a dirty megaplex. Lots of people watch series with multiple episodes.

The Marvel/DC rivalry is entirely a fanboy thing. They're not in competition, these movies coexist.
    Didn’t say that, I said I doubt that they appeal to the average person which they historically have gotten mixed to negative reception. Snyder has a loud hardcore fanbase, but the general audience doesn’t really click with him. It’s why the legs for Snyder’s movies are so terrible and why BvS is I believe the movie with the worst second weekend box office drop off ever. But we’ll see how big his fanbase is soon enough I suppose.

Birds of Prey does not have a sequel planned which tells us WB doesn’t view it as a success. WW is getting another movie despite the poor critical reception so WB seems to be satisfied with how it’s doing. Suicide Squad got a reboot despite the terrible critical reception because it sold so much commercially. Shazam is getting a sequel AND has a spin-off in Black Adam. BoP however is joining Superman and Cyborg in the “no planned follow up” category because it didn’t meet WB’s expectations. Harley sells merch, totally agree, but her appeal only goes so far. Her fanbase did not show up for BoP despite favorable critical reception. We can debate the whys but BoP was not a success, just like how Man of Steel was not a success.
    Last edited by Vordan; 01-10-2021 at 12:10 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Not the way he frames it in the movie.

Batman's career isn't about taking down powered people, it's about protecting the innocent and enacting justice. Sometimes that belief leads him to be too paranoid and distrusting, but at the end of the day he isn't out to harm people who don't deserve it.
    Yeah!beating up some thugs is well and good.But,his motive being "protecting the innocent" first and foremost is exaggerated.Especially,in the modern times.Hell yeah!his entire career is about taking down powered individuals.Otherwise,he wouldn't be carrying a kryptonite ring or yellow batarangs or whatever when he can build a robot/armor that can fight gods.People build protective measures for protecting the innocent.Not when they have made themselves better.Not when there is no need.Bruce is more than enough powerful.Bruce's whole thought process is "This guy could be threat.I need a way to beat him by cheating".(Yeah! goku would not approve).Otherwise,people wouldn't be so enthralled by batman having fights and beating up these guys.These fights matter.Everyone loves it.I don't blame them.But,he ain't about a fair fight and it's absolutly the mentality of a hunter.But the problem is,these guys make it feel like it's some grand strategy.When the whole thing is poultry."Look, i beat up darkseid with radon knuckles cause i am the god damn batman".Atleast attempt to sell the strategy in a good way or don't call it strategy.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-10-2021 at 07:05 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Their issue is the studio is largely reactionary, and every time there's a setback it causes them to shift plans and reevaluate things. Green Lantern is gonna be the start of our Marvel-style shared universe! Oh wait, nobody cares about Green Lantern, so now that's gonna be Man of Steel! Batman v Superman is gonna launch an entire series of spin-offs and a two-part Justice League movie! Whoops, that got terrible reviews and even worse box office legs, so now Justice League is just one movie, and we're gonna totally rewrite and reshoot it in the middle of filming with a new director! Oops, nobody liked that either? Uh, well cancel some of those spin-offs! Uh, Ben Affleck doesn't wanna be Batman anymore? Multiverse! Just say Multiverse! It never stops. Flash is at least a partial victim of that, as part of the holdup was them parting ways with Rick Famuyiwa when they suddenly no longer wanted his more serious take after BVS underpeformed.
    That's it right there. All of their creative decisions are either based on what their competition does or on course correcting due to their inability to be a competent competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Only because WB execs don't usually read comic books, or they'd know about PAD's rendition. Unfortunately PAD isn't a high rank WB exec like Johns is. Johns' Aquaman isn't even that originally, it's building on what PAD created before him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    You mean, besides the fact Johns himself was directly involved with that movie? The animated show was a Bruce Timm production, he didn't help from a comic book to get Hal Jordan as the protagonist. He's a straight white man, execs are ok with that for leading characters in any tv show. But where are you getting the idea that comic sales matter that much to execs? Which execs are going around telling the media the main reason they chose this production was because of comic sales? Comic sales are great but they're not the final arbiter of characters getting movies or tv shows, otherwise Wanda Maximoff wouldn't be getting one right now.
    English isn't my first, but I'm pretty sure my posts are not unreadable that you people have hard time getting my point.

Nowhere did I claim that comics sales and reception are the most important and the only thing WB consider because of course they don't and of course they don't bother reading comics, but claiming that WB doesn't care at all is pretty delusional. There's a reason why they keep them around and there are people who it's their job to see what sells and report it to the exec.

And saying that GL got a movie and animated show after the successful run in comics is coincidence and happened only because Johns and Timm "asked" is just reaching. Why WB did not care about PAD's rendition? Because it was Johns' rendition that sold and was popular because again, WB exec don't read comics and only care about the results and what sells.
    Last edited by Rise; 01-10-2021 at 07:27 AM.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Extraordinary Member

They, and their studios, are absolutely in competition. I don't know where you'd get the idea otherwise. And WB/DC is losing, badly.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    They, and their studios, are absolutely in competition. I don't know where you'd get the idea otherwise. And WB/DC is losing, badly.
    Nah, they're not. Movie studios are in competition with each other, sure- but the Marvel/DC rivalry is a relic from when they were both competing for marketshare in the superhero comic book market. Now it's purely a fanboy thing. A Spider-Man movie can do well and a Flash movie can also do well, they're not coming out on the same day. Most fans of superhero media will see both, the general audience will too.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-10-2021 at 08:21 AM.

MSN has a list of the top 20 worst critic reviewed dc movies. Shocked batman and robin is not in first place!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...lp?ocid=msnews

20. Wonder woman 84
    19. birds of prey
    18. Joker
    17. Watchman
    16. Man of steel
    15. Aquaman
    14. Batman forever
    13. Sawmp thing 80s movie
    12. Constintine
    11. Justice league
    10. Superman 3
    9. The losers
    8. Batman v superman
    7. Suicide squad
    6. Return of swamp thing
    5. Green lantern
    4. Jonah hex
    3. Batman and robin
    2. Catwoman
    1. Superman 4

Surprised by some of the placements on the list. Surprised batman and robin was not first then again superman 4 was pretty bad. Looks like the 80s supergirl avoided the list.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Yeah!beating up some thugs is well and good.But,his motive being "protecting the innocent" first and foremost is exaggerated.Especially,in the modern times.Hell yeah!his entire career is about taking down powered individuals.Otherwise,he wouldn't be carrying a kryptonite ring or yellow batarangs or whatever when he can build a robot/armor that can fight gods.People build protective measures for protecting the innocent.Not when they have made themselves better.Not when there is no need.Bruce is more than enough powerful.Bruce's whole thought process is "This guy could be threat.I need a way to beat him by cheating".(Yeah! goku would not approve).Otherwise,people wouldn't be so enthralled by batman having fights and beating up these guys.These fights matter.Everyone loves it.I don't blame them.But,he ain't about a fair fight and it's absolutly the mentality of a hunter.But the problem is,these guys make it feel like it's some grand strategy.When the whole thing is poultry."Look, i beat up darkseid with radon knuckles cause i am the god damn batman".Atleast attempt to sell the strategy in a good way or don't call it strategy.
    His whole motivation was inspired by his parents being murdered by a criminal with a gun. The only "people in power" he cares about are criminals and mob bosses, people with superpowers only concern him if he feels they're casually endangering people.

He only needs to "cheat" because he has no powers and he doesn't care about a fair fight when it comes to stopping someone who needs to be stopped. This is why he's able to beat Shiva or anyone who is a better fighter than he is.