Page 700 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2006006506906966976986997007017027037047107508001200 ... LastLast
Results 10,486 to 10,500 of 20948
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    People expect dark stuff from Joker and Logan. People want sunshine and rainbows from Superman.
    People want a good story and a charismatic performance from the actor playing Superman, which they didn't get. When Antony Starr is giving a much more charismatic performance as an evil piece of **** like Homelander than the actor playing actual Superman we have a problem.

So tone being the main issue continues to be a lame deflection. General audiences and fans can accept Superman in a darker story if the execution is done well, it simply wasn't here. If you're going against the grain of the "rules" of Superman (or any established character), you need to make damn sure you replace it with something fresh and interesting, then people will be won over. "Subverting expectations" or "trying something new" doesn't automatically get a free pass for intent if the execution is sloppy or wooden.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 01-27-2021 at 10:22 AM.

> The article literally says HBO Max subscriptions are exceeding the companies expectations
    > "Nope, HBO MAX doesn't have more subscribers than Disney+, therefore its a flop!"
    Last edited by Pinsir; 01-27-2021 at 01:43 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    They talked about this elsewhere from people with inside friends and said the numbers were not good and wb is really let down by ww84 hbo max numbers and hbo max subs in general!

They are getting cbs all access numbers and want disney plus numbers and are not happy.

This is the real reason they pushed up kong vs godzilla and paid those millions to legendery to put it on max!
    That's legitimately the exact opposite from what the article says. HBOMax is doing fine.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-27-2021 at 12:44 PM.

And other insiders are saying they are not happy with it no matter how wb spins it. They expected much bigger numbers. I never said they bombed just at&t wanted higher numbers. Yes they think max should be disney plus numbers and not cbs all access numbers! They really can't be upset as it took a year to get it on roku so that was a big hurdle to climb.

It didn't help hbo lost half of it's viewers after game of thrones ended and never got them back!

Last edited by Gaastra; 01-27-2021 at 08:17 PM.

^ I love to dunk of WB/DC as much as anyone else but can you provide a source for those claims?

Only movie news videos like campeas above. If they are saying false info i don't know. They have said they knew people inside wb who said they expected more subs. So not bombed just let down if they are right.

Also note this---

It’s worth noting that “activations” is the key word here. Unlike its major competitors Netflix and Disney+, which users can only access via a paying subscription, HBO Max is available a number of ways, including automatic access through an existing HBO subscription with their cable provider. The boost here refers to the number of folks who finally decided to dust off the app and create an account, but the data doesn’t differentiate between those who chose to shell out the extra bucks for HBO Max directly and those who always had access and finally succumbed to the siren’s call of “MORE CONTENT!” Simply put: WW84 clearly boosted interest in the streamer, but it’s not clear if that jump in accounts included an increase in revenue.
    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/wond...185700780.html

So many may not be new subs but older hbo ones who have not logged on yet.

The big thing with HBO MAX is “are people staying signed up or are they just using a free month promo watching what they want and then leaving?”

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The big thing with HBO MAX is “are people staying signed up or are they just using a free month promo watching what they want and then leaving?”
    Isn't that true for every streaming service?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't that true for every streaming service?
    Yep it’s the big major problem they all face.

Extraordinary Member

Yep it’s the big major problem they all face.
    That was why getting The Mandalorian out was such a big deal for Disney+, and why something like Young Justice Season 3 was being trotted out as a big plus for the DC version.

In the streaming game, you need to be able to offer people not just immediate, known and desired content... but content that will be new, exclusive, and a reason to want the service not just now, but months later.

Netflix started adapting to people taking away its stuff with more original content (Stranger Things), comedy specials, and by looking for any other shows that they can guarantee people buying year long subscriptions for (Cobra Kai.)

I think HBO Max be screwed a little bit by how they need even more fresh stuff; even as limited a demographic appeal as YJ would be useful if paired with other new content.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    People expect dark stuff from Joker and Logan. People want sunshine and rainbows from Superman.
    Not sunshine and rainbows, just not grim dark edge lord nihilistic stories - that's Batman's domain. They can introduce dark elements to a Superman story and make him shine. Him being the lightness in the dark is where he can really be relevant, Morrison did this in his JLA run. Just don't make it like a sequel to Se7en.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    And other insiders are saying they are not happy with it no matter how wb spins it. They expected much bigger numbers. I never said they bombed just at&t wanted higher numbers. Yes they think max should be disney plus numbers and not cbs all access numbers! They really can't be upset as it took a year to get it on roku so that was a big hurdle to climb.

It didn't help hbo lost half of it's viewers after game of thrones ended and never got them back!

Oh, "Other Insiders"!
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-28-2021 at 06:50 AM.

Considering HBOMax has HBO and its catalog of the best television ever made, I'd say they're doing fine. THE SOPRANOS has had a massive resurgence in viewership and popularity this past year. I'd imagine a lot of subscriptions are for that alone.

Plus just having HBO in general. Lots of reasons outside of superheroes. Once productions can resume on the reg, that'll be an uptick too.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-28-2021 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    That's not a good number
    HBO Max would be getting slaughtered if it was released globally and didn't cost double what most other streaming services cost
    How is that not a good number? They’re not even a year as a service, they’re only in the USA... I think it’s decent to expected numbers. Luckily they have Latin America coming up because that’s a huge DC fan base waiting to be tapped into! They need that Harry Potter and Game of Thrones show too
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

I love to dunk of WB/DC as much as anyone else
    Funny thing is i do like hbo max! I grew up on wb movies and cartoons! I do get on to them when they do things like have big ads saying "watch all dc movies from 1970 to today on hbo max" then remove half of the dc films after two weeks and have ads that you can watch all harry potter films (it was a huge part of the ads) them remove them a month later!

But no i don't hate max. They do need more hanna-barbera and ruby spears cartoons however.