Page 71 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2161676869707172737475811211715711071 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 20948

Besides the Zeus baby daddy thing (the movie would have been exactly the same without that reveal) did DCEU Wonder Woman really take much from the new 52?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Besides the Zeus baby daddy thing (the movie would have been exactly the same without that reveal) did DCEU Wonder Woman really take much from the new 52?
    Other than the fact that Diana didn't have flight as an innate power. That's pretty much it.

Wonder Woman definitely borrowed more from the Perez run. Minus the whole bit where Steve was old and more of a father figure for her, of course.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    I would love a Plas movie...but also wish DCEU would quit announcing these movies "in the works" when they are years away from going before the camera. There are over 15 in development at this point, yet only 1 - 2 are being released a year.

To be fair Disney would do the same thing. We know about the Little Mermaid in 1985-4 years before the film came out. We got Spiderverse 2 already announced and the first one is not out yet.
    Some of that stuff gets announced ahead of time to give folks an idea of what to expect and to work on casting and writing and budgets.

And to see what the competition does. Look at Black Panther-who knows what that film derailed at DC. He embarrassed DCU movie verse.

And to look at what your company does. If Aquaman is going to do that well in China. Does it push back Batman and push up Plastic Man.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    You know what I find hilarious! Borrowing from the New 52 is leading to huge success for DC at the box office (Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman and now Aquaman). That bodes really well for Shazam, and honestly shows how irrelevant the comic reading audience is xD

Maybe they should look into making New 52 inspired Superman/Flash/Batman films.
    Because only those 3 properties were the main ones that benefited from the New 52. Wonder Woman is arguable among her fans but New 52 did wonders for Aquaman and popularized the SS with the addition of Harley even when it had terrible writing.

Plus Geoff Johns is helping with the movies so he's gonna push the stuff he wants which is the New 52 material.

Other than that I don't think so for the rest. Birds of Prey is definitely going to borrow things from Simone's Pre-52 run and Flash will most likely use Flash Rebirth material or anything from Johns. Cyborg will sadly use New 52 material though.
    Last edited by HandofPrometheus; 12-08-2018 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    You know what I find hilarious! Borrowing from the New 52 is leading to huge success for DC at the box office (Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman and now Aquaman). That bodes really well for Shazam, and honestly shows how irrelevant the comic reading audience is xD

Maybe they should look into making New 52 inspired Superman/Flash/Batman films.
    I always thought of the DCEU as a live-action New 52, I thought that was the reason the vast majority didn't like it.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Because only those 3 properties were the main ones that benefited from the New 52. Wonder Woman is arguable among her fans but New 52 did wonders for Aquaman and popularized the SS with the addition of Harley even when it had terrible writing.

Plus Geoff Johns is helping with the movies so he's gonna push the stuff he wants which is the New 52 material.

Other than that I don't think so for the rest. Birds of Prey is definitely going to borrow things from Simone's Pre-52 run and Flash will most likely use Flash Rebirth material or anything from Johns. Cyborg will sadly use New 52 material though.
    Wasn't Johns never onboard with the New 52? I thought that was Didio and Lee's baby? Johns wanted Rebirth and was talking about a DC "Rebirth" as far back as Brightest Day?

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Wasn't Johns never onboard with the New 52? I thought that was Didio and Lee's baby? Johns wanted Rebirth and was talking about a DC "Rebirth" as far back as Brightest Day?
    Was he? I have no idea. I only assumed because he was the main focus on Aquaman and the overall JL during the New 52 since he wrote them.

Wonder Woman definitely borrowed more from the Perez run. Minus the whole bit where Steve was old and more of a father figure for her, of course.
    I think of Perez when I think of Ares but the plot of the movie, with Wonder Woman involved in the War effort and with relatively Golden Age accurate Steve and Etta ,was more Marston.
    Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I always thought of the DCEU as a live-action New 52, I thought that was the reason the vast majority didn't like it.
    The only real prevalent New 52 element I can think of that they've incorporated (other then Wonder Woman as the daughter of Zeuss) is Harley on the Suicide Squad and in a fanservicey costume and Batman and Superman with trunkless costumes (but Batman's had those before).
    Johns pretty much just did his own thing, reboot or no reboot, but I don't think he was on-board with all the major changes of the reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Was he? I have no idea. I only assumed because he was the main focus on Aquaman and the overall JL during the New 52 since he wrote them.
    My Search Fu isn't the best, but I could've sworn there were discussions about a difference of opinion between Johns and Didio/Lee. I'm certain Johns was throwing around the word "Rebirth" back around the time Brightest Day was underway.

Aquaman's story was completely unchanged from Brightest Day onward, so his Johns' involvement in it doesn't really speak of his support for the New 52.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Astonishing Member

In fact we know he probably he wasn't a fan given his ideas and creative teams for Hawkman and Firestorm were replaced by editorial and all the stuff he built up in Brightest Day being thrown out.

Anyone see this? With all the “evil Superman” stories and knockoffs in comics I’m surprised it took Hollywood to make one of their own. Plus James Gunn is producing.

It looks interesting but Superman’s reputation is so tarnished already, I worry this will just make it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Anyone see this? With all the “evil Superman” stories and knockoffs in comics I’m surprised it took Hollywood to make one of their own. Plus James Gunn is producing.

It looks interesting but Superman’s reputation is so tarnished already, I worry this will just make it worse.
    I'm pretty hyped. Love Gunn and Elizabeth Banks. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if this was an invitation to DC from Gunn. Especially the start of the trailer, shots pretty much straight from MoS with Gunn's name and credits on full display. That's totally intensional, DC would be dumber than Disney to not pick him up.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I'm gonna bat for Zack Snyder here and say that casting a Pacific Islander actor with a "Surfer Bro meets Huge Teddy" persona like Jason Momoa as Aquaman is what's paying off the most.

Even tho as Frontier said, Snyder must have had a totally different vision in mind for the character while casting Momoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

Evil Superman is the last thing we need during these times of rampant xenophobia and anti-immigrant sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Evil Superman is the last thing we need during these times of rampant xenophobia and anti-immigrant sentiments
    Art reflects the times it was made in, mostly in terms of perception from the audience. But I don't think this is supposed to be a pro anti-immigrant story, I can see why you think that but I don't agree. Comics are our modern myths, everyone knows the story of Superman. This is just a flip of expectations that most people haven't seen before or have thought about. There are tons of other stories and movies out there like this.