Page 73 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2363697071727374757677831231735731073 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    I'm curious, can anyone explain why Aquaman is doing so well in China compared to DC's other heroes? Is Momoa a big star there, does the story reflect something in Chinese culture, or is it because the tone looks a lot more fun? Usually, studios cast a prominent Chinese actor in a supporting role to appeal to Chinese audiences, but I don't recall there being one in this film.
    China seems to like action packed, colorful and high fantasy films. Just look at the biggest franchises over there, Fast and Furious, Transformers, Warcraft... All of them have a lot of action and offer alot of spectacle (ie fun time).

They don't seem to like space movies though, unless it takes place on one planet. Star Wars is a dead franchise there and GotG is one of the lower grossing MCU films over there. Doesn't bode too well for a potential Green Lantern film though and Batman might have trouble over there (too dark)... But we'll see
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Anyone see this? With all the “evil Superman” stories and knockoffs in comics I’m surprised it took Hollywood to make one of their own. Plus James Gunn is producing.

Yeah that's hands down a evil superman/ superboy film!
    Last edited by Gaastra; 12-09-2018 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Even the New 52 didn't come up with that one. It was first used in Phil Jiminez's run in the 2000s.
    Sure but I would say most people would associate it with the New 52 version or the New 52 inspired animated movies.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member

I'm curious, can anyone explain why Aquaman is doing so well in China compared to DC's other heroes? Is Momoa a big star there, does the story reflect something in Chinese culture, or is it because the tone looks a lot more fun? Usually, studios cast a prominent Chinese actor in a supporting role to appeal to Chinese audiences, but I don't recall there being one in this film.
    I suspect it's a combination of superheroes and featuring an underwater civilization.

Look at the #1 film in 2016 for the China boxoffice.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/c...yr=2016&p=.htm

So that might have helped expand the film's viewerbase with the younger female audience.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 12-09-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Ultimate Member

I guess you forget his last two shows- Stargate Atlantis and BAYWATCH.

A lot of the Baywatch cast is way more popular overseas than they are here.

So that helps you have someone the public knows about and have seen. Remember Black Panther's actor was popular in China too.

Astonishing Member

No Snyder? That's my biggest guess and yes I'm one of the few who liked JL. I even prefer MOS over WW. But the GA does not like Snyder's work and it left a bad taste in a lot of the GA.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

If Aquaman does as well as it's shaping up to and joins Wonder Woman in popularity, I hope this finally sends the message to WB that they can rely on more than one IP to make a profit. Shazam will hopefully do the same.

And that they don't need to f***ing deconstruct or change the characters to get people to love them. Embrace them for who they are. Get someone like Jenkins, Wan, and Sandberg for the likes of Green Lantern, the Flash, J'onn, the Titans, etc, and for Superman and even Batman again.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Speaking of, with Aquaman looking to overtake Batman v Superman and possibly be the DCEU's first billion dollar grosser, I wonder how WB and DC feel about freaking Aquaman and Wonder Woman being their biggest successes right now. I don't think they ever expected that 10, 5 or even 2 years back.
    I guess DC is learning the lesson Marvel Studios did by finding success in moving away from the usual headliners, although they also kind of bungled things with them to begin with so...

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess DC is learning the lesson Marvel Studios did by finding success in moving away from the usual headliners, although they also kind of bungled things with them to begin with so...
    DC should've learned this when Marvel was finding success. DC needs to spread their content with all their characters and not the usual's. I'm so glad for Aquaman right now.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    DC should've learned this when Marvel was finding success. DC needs to spread their content with all their characters and not the usual's. I'm so glad for Aquaman right now.
    Just, y'know, within reason and not "let's announce a bunch of movies that may or may not get made" .

Just, y'know, within reason and not "let's announce a bunch of movies that may or may not get made" .
    Studios announce movies that may or may not get made all the time. It's just no one pays any attention to those other movies on the comic book oriented sites.
    Like what became of all those Universal monster movies that were planned before The Mummy flopped?

Disney does the same thing WB does, hire screenwriters for projects they have in mind or are interested in eventually developing. The difference is Disney seems to be better at keeping things secret or are very strict with that kind of information, whereas over at WB everything gets leaked out because it seems the studio is very lenient. That plus DC articles get clicks like no other...
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I think they do his to see discussion on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    If Aquaman does as well as it's shaping up to and joins Wonder Woman in popularity, I hope this finally sends the message to WB that they can rely on more than one IP to make a profit. Shazam will hopefully do the same.

And that they don't need to f***ing deconstruct or change the characters to get people to love them. Embrace them for who they are. Get someone like Jenkins, Wan, and Sandberg for the likes of Green Lantern, the Flash, J'onn, the Titans, etc, and for Superman and even Batman again.
    Hmm, well..who exactly are they, lol? I haven't seen the movie, but Wan's take seems to be going for New 52 Aquaman - which I might add came out a few years ago (kind of a revamp for Aquaman). Also, took notes out of Peter David's 90s Aquaman I suppose..but other than that, it doesn't mirror/reflect popular depictions of AM before.

Characters need to change, and should change..otherwise they just end up being stale and boring..especially in mainstream comics where things just sort of stay the same for the most part (what with the reboots and such).

Almost all of the characters have changed (for the better in my opinion)..and that's also the reason why we have so many different stories - the campy silver age one to 80s dark brooding stories to ridiculous 90s with electric superman. So the who they are is just kind of moot...depends on the person and their favorite run I suppose.

I liked Snyder's Superman because it combined a bunch of elements that I liked - and prefer that to the campy 80s Superman (which was a product of its time...). Honestly I attribute that being part of the reason..where people had entirely different expectations of Superman and what he should be (compared to say comic readers who were used to more modern interpretations of Supes).
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

‘It: Chapter 2′, ‘Wonder Woman 1984′, ‘Shazam!’ New ‘Godzilla 2′ Trailer, and More Revealed at CCXP: http://collider.com/it-chapter-2-won...cription-ccxp/

Wonder Woman 1984:

spoilers:
    "As the Wonder Woman 1984 logo came on the screens on the side of the stage, a video message started to play on the main screen which featured director Patty Jenkins, Gal Gadot and Chris Pine saying how much they wanted to attend CCXP but since they couldn’t be there, they wanted to offer the attendees a look at some footage from the sequel. In addition, Pine said that Steve Trevor would definitely be returning in the sequel, but we’d have to wait till the summer of 2020 to find out how.

We did get to see some brief footage that ran under a minute. The scene starts in a mall food court in the 1980’s, where two men with guns stand near the railing on the top floor of the mall. Wonder Woman jumps into the frame to save a very young girl. To get her out of harm’s way, Woman Woman pushes the girl so she slides along the ground and ends up in the middle of a giant teddy bear.

The next shot features Wonder Woman using her magic lasso to rope the two people with guns and prevent them from harming anyone in the crowd. After using the lasso, she runs towards the railing and jumps off, using the two people she lassoed as a weight to prevent her from falling. In midair, she uses the lasso again to grab hold of something on the other side so she can use that as leverage to get to the other side of the mall.

The next shot features Wonder Woman running incredibly fast down a street packed with cars, trying to get somewhere in a hurry. Unfortunately, neither scene provided any context about what is happening, so it’s impossible to know if Kristen Wiig’s Cheetah was involved in any of the mayhem.

With Wonder Woman 1984 not arriving in theaters until June 5, 2020, Warner Bros. didn’t have to reveal any footage today since they will have another convention next year to really push the film. While I would have loved to have seen more now, getting even this brief taste of footage from the much-anticipated sequel was very cool, especially for all the fans who had to camp out to get into the panel today."
    end of spoilers

Shazam!:

spoilers:
    "Unlike some of the previous DC films, Shazam! looks like it’s going to be a lot of fun and in the vein of Big except with superpowers.

The panel began with Zachary Levi coming out on stage and talking about what the film is about, how lucky he is to have landed this role, and why everyone should be excited about the upcoming DC movie. I wish I could have filmed what he said, because his energy was infectious and he looks like he was perfectly cast.

However, the highlight of the Shazam! portion of the panel was the very end, when Levi revealed he was going to let us see some brand new footage that had never been seen by anyone outside the studio.

Levi prefaced everything by saying the VFX weren’t done (they still looked great) and how the scene we were about to see was shortly after Billy had gotten his powers, but he didn’t yet know what they were or how to control them.

In the scene, Shazam is on a street with some people near him. Pretty soon Mark Strong’s character, Dr. Thaddeus Sivana, shows up and tells Shazam he wants his powers. Shazam doesn’t realize Sivana is someone also gifted with superpowers and treats him like he’s no big deal. So when Sivana punches Shazam, he’s not ready for it and is knocked back onto a police car. As they continue trading punches, it’s clear Shazam is outmatched, and Sivana grabs Shazam by the throat and they take off into the sky. From a very high altitude, Sivana drops Shazam. As he fails like a brick, he’s desperately trying to stop his descent. When it looks like he’s about to crash, he somehow stops himself about an inch from the ground. From there the fight continues.

Afterward, we got a montage of footage (maybe part of the same scene) where the two of them are fighting in a toy store in a mall. Part of the scene features Shazam trying to stop Sivana by throwing a Batman toy at him, then he’s on a piano like Big and he gets excited. Unfortunately, Sivana is continuing to come at him and the two of them fly through the back wall into the mall.

Some other shots featured the younger Billy Batson in an amusement park walking intently towards something and calling out “Shazam!” and we see Zachary Levi appear. The transformation was very cool.

However, the highlight of the footage was an awesome shot of the younger Billy Batson running towards the ledge at the top of a building and then jumping off. As he jumps, before gravity pulls him down, he says “Shazam!” and a lightning bolt appears and hits him, quickly transforming him into the mighty hero and he flies off. Trust me, the shot is very cool."
    end of spoilers