Page 733 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2336336837237297307317327337347357367377437838331233 ... LastLast
Results 10,981 to 10,995 of 20948
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triple J View Post
    Hmm, I mean, is that an issue? It's the story he wanted to tell (well, initial draft of it I guess....). Problem is only when we think of definitive version of a character (or when we say a character can do only this or that. After all, isn't the point for creatives to reinterpret them as they want to? Granted, we don't have to like those interpretations of course).

I do think though - if they were gonna go in such a direction, it would have been better down the road once a main universe/continuity has been established (kinda like what Marvel is at this point).
    By that logic, why did people throw a shitfit when Star Wars Episode 8 came out?

Why did people get so mad when Superman snapped the neck of one the last survivors or Krypton.

Why did people get mad when Batman had machine guns on his batmobile and had total disregard for human life

I can go on and on.

But in fiction a character gets solidified in the cultural zeitgeist and it becomes the character.

For Snyder to even imagine doing this shows either hubris or a total lack of understanding.

I think it was a lot of both.

Hmm, I mean, is that an issue? It's the story he wanted to tell (well, initial draft of it I guess....). Problem is only when we think of definitive version of a character (or when we say a character can do only this or that. After all, isn't the point for creatives to reinterpret them as they want to? Granted, we don't have to like those interpretations of course).

I do think though - if they were gonna go in such a direction, it would have been better down the road once a main universe/continuity has been established (kinda like what Marvel is at this point).
    I mean, I think even people with a general idea of the character would still have taken issue, but maybe I'm giving it too much credit.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Keep in mind this was an initial draft, and scripts do change a lot after initial drafts.

Anyways - I have always viewed Snyderverse as an Elseworlds (as with any other DC adaptation tbh), so it doesn't bother me too much. I don't necessarily want the same things as in comics, but I do get why it might have been a bad idea for a "main" timeline (if they were going with the initial drafts, it would have been far better off in the future once main timeline was established).
    This mainline and elseworld distinction is used to shut up fans and nothing more.what happens in an elseworld impacts mainline and the perception of it.The distinction is there just to give more room and if successful be implemented in the main one.dark knight returns that tore apart superman and put batman as the gritty one.People view superman through the lense of injustice as well.For general audience,a story is a story.
    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    By that logic, why did people throw a shitfit when Star Wars Episode 8 came out?

Why did people get so mad when Superman snapped the neck of one the last survivors or Krypton.

Why did people get mad when Batman had machine guns on his batmobile and had total disregard for human life

I can go on and on.

But in fiction a character gets solidified in the cultural zeitgeist and it becomes the character.

For Snyder to even imagine doing this shows either hubris or a total lack of understanding.

like any writer is supposed to live by some stupid cultural zeitgeist.It's not hubris and it's mere creative liberty.As if superman is supposed act like your dad.As if batman is nietzschean nightmare.These characters should have been in public domain by now.Not only where these characters taken from the creator exploiting their situation.They took it and changed core beats about the character to fit some selling point.They effing used superman as a dictator many times.A character that was a metaphorical gladiator.The character that wanted freedom is either loving his chains or putting others in them.That's biggest **** characterisation.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-06-2021 at 01:04 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

BANNED

I think the main story didn't change that much, apart from the Lois/Bruce thing getting shut down by WB.
    Snyder has pretty much revealed his story to his fans on Vero over the years.
    As far as I remember, most of the elements are still there.
    Superman's dying cry triggered Darkseid to invade the earth.
    Superman seeing Lois dying at the hand of Darkseid would make him vulnerable to the equation.
    And Flash came back again because the first time they did it in BvS, it didn't work,
    so they went into a different time portal.
    And in the new timeline Bruce sacrifices himself to stop Lois being killed by Darkseid.
    So yeah, most of it is in line with what he planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    His work that he’s already been paid for? Doubtful.
    I'm not saying that they'd have some legal troubles, but that it would create new problems. Look at Moore's situation, they are technically not doing anything wrong with Watchmen. They keep it in print so it is their property and they can expand and adapt it however they want. Yet they have been receiving negative attention due to it for decades now. And Snyder fans showed to be rather well organized with their SnyderCut campaign so it likely would be even worse.

Now, in the end Watchmen proved to be a mega hit so all the negative PR that DC/WB got due to it was worth it. Someone doing a comic book about Snyder's JL ideas won't result in a mega hit, or even a hit so DC/WB will just get negative PR without any benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I would NOT put that beneath them.

And you know what... I probably would have done the same thing. However I would have take all that mess Snyder offered and put it in comic book form.

Why NOT release that in comic book form in time for the Cut to come out?

I mean what harm would do? It would probably sell (mainly to Snyder fans).
    Why would anyone want to read this when JLA: Rock of Ages is in print?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    But I imagine Snyder would still have to be compensated.
    I imagine all that would be nailed down in his contract. If WB was dumb enough to agree to compensate him for other uses of his work product, which AFAIK they don't have to be, then yes, they would pay him for that. Otherwise, I'm thinking no, WB wouldn't owe him a thing unless they felt like paying him.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post

I can go on and on.

General audience didn't care in any of these cases, fans did.

There's no written rule that these characters have to be portrayed that way. I do get what you mean though - imo that's to the detriment of comics or fiction in general; always returning to status quo, and being stuck with reboots and shitty events.

Anyways, as long as DC allows it, creatives can reinterpret them however they want (doesn't mean we have to like them of course) - that doesn't mean that creatives are arrogant to do so. By that logic, Superman should still be the champion of oppressed - as Siegel and Shuster had written. Or maybe Bats should still be using guns. Even with the status quo, these characters changed (for the better or worse) because creators reinterpreted them.

Timmverse added Harley, Batman Beyond etc to DC Universe. Or when Johns reimagined GL to have the light spectrum and various lantern corps.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, I think even people with a general idea of the character would still have taken issue, but maybe I'm giving it too much credit.
    I don't know...I mean, look at MOS. It wasn't a financial disaster, WB expected 1 bn (which was kinda ridiculous for the time, esp given the previous Supes film), and I don't think GA cared as much about the kill.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    This mainline and elseworld distinction is used to shut up fans and nothing more.what happens in an elseworld impacts mainline and the perception of it.The distinction is there just to give more room and if successful be implemented in the main one.dark knight returns that tore apart superman and put batman as the gritty one.People view superman through the lense of injustice as well.For general audience,a story is a story.

like any writer is supposed to live by some stupid cultural zeitgeist.It's not hubris and it's mere creative liberty.As if superman is supposed act like your dad.As if batman is nietzschean nightmare.These characters should have been in public domain by now.Not only where these characters taken from the creator exploiting their situation.They took it and changed core beats about the character to fit some selling point.They effing used superman as a dictator many times.A character that was a metaphorical gladiator.The character that wanted freedom is either loving his chains or putting others in them.That's biggest **** characterisation.
    Haha, maybe that's the point I guess - to shut fans up (well, to allow more creative freedom).

Yea, many of these characters, DC and Marvel, should be in public domain. Would have been all the better for it, imo. Unfortunately, Disney and other corporations are not gonna let that happen.

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

Extraordinary Member

They took the Omega letter a bit far....by carving away about half his chest; meaning he's now got half as much power in his punches....didn't know Darkseid went in for fashion over function so much. Shame there aren't any more flying space sex toys to detract from this scene, like he went with on MoS, there to ruin another dramatic moment.

Darkseid shouldn't be punching things in the first place.

I’m looking forward to Marvel’s inevitable Squadron Supreme movie. Then we can finally get a well made version of JLA-like characters on the big screen.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

After sitting through the Hobbit movies (as an adaption they suck imho but I love many of the designs and action sequences while the JRRT fan in me screams bloody murder) I wish Peter Jackson or someone like him would adapt Kirby's Fourth World.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Darkseid shouldn't be punching things in the first place.
    With a chest like that the only thing he should be knocking out are some push-ups.