Page 751 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2516517017417477487497507517527537547557618018511251 ... LastLast
Results 11,251 to 11,265 of 20948
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Seems kind of dumb of Sarnoff at this date to throw cold water on the prospect of more Snyderverse stuff. Isn't she supposed to promote the business? JUSTICE LEAGUE hasn't even been streaming for a week and she's already snuffing out hopes and dreams. Why not let people fantasize for a little longer and drive up viewership? It's not like there's anything coming out in the next month that they have to bring the hammer down and make the W.B. a Snyder-free zone. Even if it isn't going to happen, there was no gun to her head compelling her to give the game away at this juncture.
    I think it was the best way to handle it. Why leave Snyder hanging? Let him move on to other projects rather than leave open the possibility that he'll be directing a massive blockbuster that would no doubt require him to devote years of his life to. As for his fans, it's best to rip that bandaid off quickly, otherwise people would feel like they were being strung along.

Honesty is always the best policy here. What she said was smart and well-intentioned. We're happy that Snyder got to deliver his version of Justice League to his fans, but we're moving on to a Multiverse of diverse takes on these characters that can interact or stand-alone depending upon the needs of each project.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I'm hoping for a HBO Max Hawkman tv show spin-off from Black Adam and a gritty R-rated Vic Sage's Question movie.
    I don't know if they're willing to do R-rated for their more heroic characters. Made sense for Joker, but I don't know how far they're willing to go with the more traditional superhero route.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't know if they're willing to do R-rated for their more heroic characters. Made sense for Joker, but I don't know how far they're willing to go with the more traditional superhero route.
    I mean, they went R-rated with Birds of Prey, and honestly, The Question begs to be a r-rated movie. Make it a mistery crime thriller, something like Se7en or, if they go with a show instead, True Detectives.

Ah. In that case I hope it's a theatrical - I really want Static to become big.
    HBO series might be better though (HBO is still pretty big, and series gives enough time to flesh out the characters, more so than movies). Take a look at Doom Patrol...something on that vein for other DC shows would be amazing.

I mean, they went R-rated with Birds of Prey, and honestly, The Question begs to be a r-rated movie. Make it a mistery crime thriller, something like Se7en or, if they go with a show instead, True Detectives.
    Yeah, and Question doesn't have to be super high budget either, without having to compromise production quality
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Harley Quinn like the Joker is traditionally more a villain role (although here more anti-villain/hero), and also this felt very much like their try at a Deadpool type film (and the fact BoP flopped doesn't help the R-rated superhero movie case). Still not the more traditional superhero route that The Question falls in. But then, who knows? While doubtful, an R-rated film of a more traditionally heroic character is at least possible with DC, unlike over at Marvel right now. I'd definitely wait until they announce something R-rated that fits more in with the usual superhero type rather than supervillain before I start making a list, but that's just me. Who knows?

If you're right, then I wouldn't mind an R Spectre movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple J View Post
    HBO series might be better though (HBO is still pretty big, and series gives enough time to flesh out the characters, more so than movies). Take a look at Doom Patrol...something on that vein for other DC shows would be amazing.
    Quality is subjective. A movie might be better than an HBO series too. Truth is I still love movies, I still love seeing my favorite characters up on the big screen. I don't get this urge that everyone must get or is better served with a series. I'm not hitting against series, but I feel like people are all pushing for everything to go in that direction all the time now. There's not one single superhero film project announcement these days it seems like where people don't go "It'd be better as a series". Maybe, maybe not - but there's a point where it just feels like the question should be "Dear god, who even thinks films are good anymore?" when it becomes so much like that.

Maybe an exaggeration, but the "it should be a series" point comes up so often it's become an annoyance for me. Is it so wrong to get excited for a character having a film?

Edit: Besides, there's plenty of series already. A series is a larger time investment. At some point movies are just better because I can watch one and be done. If every hero gets a series, then some heroes need to go unwatched if only cause there's just 24 hours in a day.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 03-22-2021 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Not entirely true. Static was one of the DC projects highlighted during the AT&T conference call:
    No, I mean some people think WB stated that the Static movie would be HBO Max when they never said which medium they were looking into. The website reporting just assumed that Static would be lower budget cause it was"risky"

That because it was always a Harley Quinn movie. Trying to sell it as a Birds of prey was dishonest advertising. In Spain for example they got the balls of being honest and translated the movie title to Harley Quinn. Harley Quinn is a character that works for a R-rated, not the Birds of Prey.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

So ZS said he did a lot of groundwork to get WW & AM solo's off the ground and regretted not doing the same for Cyborg. That should not rely on him at all... that is all on WB. This makes the whole 2017 JL debacle seem even worse in retrospect too since it seems ZS was doing a lot more behind the scenes not just his movies.

As for the topic of "Restore the Synderverse" I am perfectly content with it ending at ZSJL, although it promises more things I think it kinda works as a bookend (I like open endings) to his trilogy.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Extraordinary Member

Quality is subjective. A movie might be better than an HBO series too. Truth is I still love movies, I still love seeing my favorite characters up on the big screen. I don't get this urge that everyone must get or is better served with a series. I'm not hitting against series, but I feel like people are all pushing for everything to go in that direction all the time now. There's not one single superhero film project announcement these days it seems like where people don't go "It'd be better as a series". Maybe, maybe not - but there's a point where it just feels like the question should be "Dear god, who even thinks films are good anymore?" when it becomes so much like that.

Maybe an exaggeration, but the "it should be a series" point comes up so often it's become an annoyance for me. Is it so wrong to get excited for a character having a film?

Edit: Besides, there's plenty of series already. A series is a larger time investment. At some point movies are just better because I can watch one and be done. If every hero gets a series, then some heroes need to go unwatched if only cause there's just 24 hours in a day.
    Series are probably more valuable to HBO Max in most cases, simply because they're what keeps people coming back to the service, rather than cancelling say after signing up just to see WW or JL and then cancelling after seeing it. Build enough series with content people want, and you're gold.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Series are probably more valuable to HBO Max in most cases, simply because they're what keeps people coming back to the service, rather than cancelling say after signing up just to see WW or JL and then cancelling after seeing it. Build enough series with content people want, and you're gold.
    Actually no, that's not true - people cancel just as easily after watching one series as they do one movie. Heck, most people binge a whole series in a night or two so they don't even return for that. Content, content is what brings people back. Doesn't matter if it's a series or a movie, just matters that there's enough content to keep them busy.

-I'm excited for the Zatanna movie. She has the potential to be the next big heroine next to Wonder Woman and DC's answer to Dr Strange. It's a movie but they are looking for spin off possibilities with all of them.

-It looks like they are going to do smaller budget films along with bigger, more expensive ones like Black Adam and hoping to spin them off to HBO Max shows. This is promising and looks like a good game plan and with four projects a year that gives them a ton of options.

-I think it's best if Snyder's movies are considered it's own universe. Question: would it be bad if they do a Justice League movie but it's Gal Gadot and Jason Mamoa standing opposite Robert Pattinson's Batman and Tyler Hoechlin's Superman? This is after they do the Flashpoint movie of course. You could swap out Battinson with Michael Keaton's Batman if that's where they are going. Or maybe it will be the new black Superman they are working on?

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    So ZS said he did a lot of groundwork to get WW & AM solo's off the ground and regretted not doing the same for Cyborg. That should not rely on him at all... that is all on WB. This makes the whole 2017 JL debacle seem even worse in retrospect too since it seems ZS was doing a lot more behind the scenes not just his movies.

As for the topic of "Restore the Synderverse" I am perfectly content with it ending at ZSJL, although it promises more things I think it kinda works as a bookend (I like open endings) to his trilogy.
    If it was his idea to adapt Zeus as Diana's father, have Zeus create the Amazons and have Ares kill all the gods then good riddance.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think it was the best way to handle it. Why leave Snyder hanging? Let him move on to other projects rather than leave open the possibility that he'll be directing a massive blockbuster that would no doubt require him to devote years of his life to. As for his fans, it's best to rip that bandaid off quickly, otherwise people would feel like they were being strung along.

Honesty is always the best policy here. What she said was smart and well-intentioned. We're happy that Snyder got to deliver his version of Justice League to his fans, but we're moving on to a Multiverse of diverse takes on these characters that can interact or stand-alone depending upon the needs of each project.
    I'm not talking about what goes on behind closed doors and what agreements they have with Snyder. I'm just talking about the P.R. They don't need to communicate with Snyder through public statements (I hope). From the perspective of what's good for the streaming service--it's better not to say anything to the press about what happens next for Snyder--and let the reaction to the Snyder Cut be the headline for the week. Why kill that buzz? Nobody was getting hurt by fans feeling good about the Snyder Cut for a week.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm not talking about what goes on behind closed doors and what agreements they have with Snyder. I'm just talking about the P.R. They don't need to communicate with Snyder through public statements (I hope). From the perspective of what's good for the streaming service--it's better not to say anything to the press about what happens next for Snyder--and let the reaction to the Snyder Cut be the headline for the week. Why kill that buzz? Nobody was getting hurt by fans feeling good about the Snyder Cut for a week.
    I dunno. I suspect the PR bean counters wanted her to pivot the attention towards their current projects rather than let Snyder's fandom gain any more momentum. Given the harassment and abuse some of these folks have received from the more rabid fans, I can understand her desire to let them know that this was a one-off right away.