Page 767 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2676677177577637647657667677687697707717778178671267 ... LastLast
Results 11,491 to 11,505 of 20948
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    I can't say I'm surprised, both of these ideas sounded too niche to really succeed. New Gods probably had more potential but was still too comicbooky I thought
    Marvel is literally doing a movie about the niche as heck Eternals, which, like New Gods is a Jack Kirby creation and Marvel made bank off a movie with a talking raccoon and a walking tree.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    You know Johns is still EP on Stargirl, S&L, and the HBO MAX GL show right?
    Yes. 1) on the TV end rather than the film end and 2) on stuff they had committed to, started or finished production on before COVID, let alone the Snydercut saga or Fisher letting rip

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    And it is ridiculous excuse. We saw Darkseid for few minutes, there is no fatigue, if anything there are now more people who want to see him.

And I'm sure that some smart individuals are now going to blame Snyder for New Gods getting cancelled
    Agreed. One would think people would actually want to know more about the New Gods after watching the Snyder Cut.
    I'm not sad about the Trench, but New Gods seems like a huge missed opportunity to have a cosmic saga that's full of heart.
    I wonder if the real reason is they want to avoid comparisons with Marvel's Eternals? Which would be ironic as hell.

It's getting pretty hard to have faith in WB's management of DC characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Marvel is literally doing a movie about the niche as heck Eternals, which, like New Gods is a Jack Kirby creation and Marvel made bank off a movie with a talking raccoon and a walking tree.
    Eternals isn't filling me with a whole lot of confidence either. And both Rocket and Groot played second fiddle to an earth man in their inaugural debut.

But either way, Marvel waited to establish their name/brand as a draw before making films off of them.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Why does James Gunn get to come into The Suicide Squad and automatically gets his own show with Pacemaker? TSS hasnt proven to be another hit like SS was, Pacemaker hasnt proven to be the breakout character, John Cena hasnt done anything to prove he's a series lead kind of guy.

I'm surprised they havent outright cancelled Amazons.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    This. I was just about to say, that I can't believe somebody would say something is 'too comic booky' in an era where Rocket Raccoon is a household name.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Why does James Gunn get to come into The Suicide Squad and automatically gets his own show with Pacemaker? TSS hasnt proven to be another hit like SS was, Pacemaker hasnt proven to be the breakout character, John Cena hasnt done anything to prove he's a series lead kind of guy.

I'm surprised they havent outright cancelled Amazons.
    Gunn delivered two hits with GotG Vol 1 and Vol2 and was an EP on IW and EG; two of the biggest movies ever. He has clout. This is all part of WB's effort to make their various departments inter connected so that the movies can flow into shows and vice versa. They probably saw something in Cena's Peacemaker to give him a spin off (and maybe Gunn even pushed for it). They are now making movies with the intent of them having spin offs.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    This. I was just about to say, that I can't believe somebody would say something is 'too comic booky' in an era where Rocket Raccoon is a household name.

Gunn delivered two hits with GotG Vol 1 and Vol2 and was an EP on IW and EG; two of the biggest movies ever. He has clout. This is all part of WB's effort to make their various departments inter connected so that the movies can flow into shows and vice versa. They probably saw something in Cena's Peacemaker to give him a spin off (and maybe Gunn even pushed for it). They are now making movies with the intent of them having spin offs.
    Wann isn't a lay up either. He gave WB a billion dollar BO on a character that wasn't Batman or Superman along with the hugely successful 'The Conjuring' universe that has made over a billion (for films that cost about $30mill each)

Makes sense they would pass on New Gods if they want to focus on more single focused or stand alone movies going forward. New Gods isn't really the kind of franchise where it fits into just being a one off movie. It is kind of messy. I'm sure they will circle back to it in some form as most of these movies or TV shows constantly get recycled and redone as new pitches all the time.

It’s crazy/sad that WB has the New Gods, a property that could potentially be a Lord of the Rings style franchise, and they just pass on it. They just find new ways the break the hearts of DC fans every month.

I’m curious if this is a sign that they may go ahead with Snyder’s Justice League sequel. Either that or they are just going to let Darkseid and co languish.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Eternals isn't filling me with a whole lot of confidence either. And both Rocket and Groot played second fiddle to an earth man in their inaugural debut.

But either way, Marvel waited to establish their name/brand as a draw before making films off of them.
    It doesn’t matter much. Guardians as a property would’ve been a tough sell for most studios, certainly if you were convincing a studio to pour a hundred million dollar budget into a quirky sci-if movie with such out there stuff like a talking raccoon and a tree but Marvel pulled it off.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think putting the breaks on New Gods might be a good decision considering how messy her last big budget blockbuster was. It might be a good idea to see how Naomi works out first. If that's well done, then Warners might have more confidence in her ability to tackle a project this ambitious.

I think the WB has to keep a lid on announcing films in development. It's clear they don't have a multi-year plan like Marvel does, and that's fine since they're not as interested in a shared universe. However, it's just bad publicity to hear things constantly get indefinitely postponed or cancelled. It implies a lack of faith in their properties/talent and cultivates mistrust amongst the fans.
    Last edited by nightw1ng; 04-01-2021 at 06:00 PM.

poor new gods, beaten to the punch by Thanos, left on a cliffhanger in the Snyder cut, now this. Dc cosmic can't catch a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It’s crazy/sad that WB has the New Gods, a property that could potentially be a Lord of the Rings style franchise, and they just pass on it. They just find new ways the break the hearts of DC fans every month.

I’m curious if this is a sign that they may go ahead with Snyder’s Justice League sequel. Either that or they are just going to let Darkseid and co languish.
    It’s this. They have no plans for the New Gods at this time. Besides WB repeated statements that Snyder’s time is over, there is the feud between Fisher and WB to prevent any follow ups, and there are the issues with Cavill.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Ava DuVernay's 'New Gods,' James Wan's 'The Trench' DC Movies Not Moving Forward at Warner Bros. (Exclusive)
    Update.
    DC Extended Universe

Future films
    The Suicide Squad
    Black Adam
    The Flash
    Aquaman 2
    Shazam! Fury of the Gods

Other films in development
    The Amazons
    Batgirl
    Blackhawk
    Blue Beetle
    Booster Gold
    Deadshot
    Gotham City Sirens
    Green Lantern Corps
    Harley Quinn vs. the Joker
    Hourman
    Untitled The Joker film
    Lobo
    Nightwing

Plastic Man
    In December 2020, Cat Vasko was hired to do a rewrite of Idoko's screenplay, with the project reworked to be a female-centered movie.

Static Shock
    Supergirl
    Untitled Superman film
    Wonder Woman 3
    Zatanna

Television series
    Peacemaker
    Other series in development
    Justice League Dark
    Constantine

In addition, Walter Hamada said in December 2020 that DC Films was interested in producing spin-off series for every film in the DCEU slate.

Canceled and reworked projects
    The Batman
    Cyborg
    Deathstroke
    Justice League sequels
    New Gods
    The Trench
    In addition, the 2011 film Green Lantern was originally meant to be the first film in what would become the DCEU. However, its planned sequels were canceled and the film was retconned due to the film's poor critical and financial performance. Despite this, Sinestro actor Mark Strong still referred to it as "part of the DCEU" in February 2019.The television series Krypton was also connected to Man of Steel by October 2015, but these connections were dropped by the series' release. Executive Producer Cameron Welsh would later describe the series as "adjacent" to both the DCEU and the Arrowverse.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-01-2021 at 07:42 PM.