Page 793 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2936937437837897907917927937947957967978038438931293 ... LastLast
Results 11,881 to 11,895 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Am I reading it right? They are really going to make Clark black instead of using Calvin or Val?
    Not necessarily, it just says it would use the basic backstory of Kal-El being sent from Krypton to Earth. Which is the case with Cal Ellis too. Doesn't say anything about Clark Kent, only that it could be inspired by the Golden Age Superman or possibly be a 20th century period piece.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    So you liked that movie with black Superman? Here, go read some comics with white Superman in it. Yeah, that is going to work well.
    DC has rarely been as ardent about mass media synergy as Marvel has, so I don't think that'd be a big concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    So far, every movie and TV show, with the exception of Matt Reeves’ The Batman, starring Robert Pattinson and set for release in March, HBO Max’s spinoff Gotham PD, and Joker and its planned sequel, will take place in the same universe.[/I]
    Woah woah woah woah, hold the presses - did they bury the lead here? Has the Joker sequel been confirmed?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought they did a good job of getting the core story of each of the Supermen in there and bringing it all to a resolution while carrying on the storylines and emotional beats of the prior film.

I mean, the pacing was a little hectic from combining two storylines, but not to the point where I think the core story suffered. And I thought it was a very powerful and beautiful Superman story.
    To each their own - to me, it was just a fun bit of popcorn fluff to kill an hour with a pretty good Superboy, and that was about it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Not necessarily, it just says it would use the basic backstory of Kal-El being sent from Krypton to Earth. Which is the case with Cal Ellis too. Doesn't say anything about Clark Kent, only that it could be inspired by the Golden Age Superman or possibly be a 20th century period piece.
    Nah it will be Clark. I’d love to see Ellis but a black Kent is still immersed in traditional Superman iconography in the way the others aren’t.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Woah woah woah woah, hold the presses - did they bury the lead here? Has the Joker sequel been confirmed?
    Looks like it, although it’s been rumored for a while. If THR is reporting it though then that means progress is definitely being made on it.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Honestly there really wasn’t a chance of it being anything else. Clark is the one with all the iconic stories, and lore, and supporting characters. Calvin is awesome but he’s extremely political in a way I don’t think WB would want to touch, and Val is basically a non-entity, he doesn’t even have a civilian identity or a normal human upbringing. No it has to be Clark, and I’m betting the main villain will be Lex. It’s far better than what Snyder had planned for the character, but it’s still not something that is really getting me interested. Long as I have a good TV show though they can do what they want, I’ve given up on ever getting a good Superman film.

With this they’re just chasing Marvel with BP and SamCap yet again, time will tell if this attempt ends any better. I doubt it’s going to do BP numbers though.
    Lucky. I have to grit my teeth a lot during that show because I don't care for the family drama and teen angst and failing small town drama angle they've decided to go with. The actual Superman scenes are a delight, but the rest of the show is a dull chore for me to get through.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Or seemingly not consider a Vixen movie any time soon.

They want that Black Panther money first and foremost.
    No they don't.

A black Superman written by the guy who HATED the concept Wakanda and Black Panther. With many JEDI handwaving any criticism as hating or attacks on black folks.

WB thinks that is going to work. They are hoping everyone is like Issa Rae-support whatever is black. You are BEGGING for a bigger box office bomb.

Nobody wants a black Superman named Clark Kent. NOBODY has been asking for that. NOBODY.
    They have screamed for Static, Icon, Vixen and every other black hero around.

Clark is the one with all the iconic stories, and lore, and supporting characters.
    What has Marvel taught us the past 21 years? Iconic stories mean NOTHING to the general public. NOTHING.

What iconic stuff does Blade have? Yet unlike Hal Jordan-he got 3 movies and 2 tv shows.

What about Static? Yet he still boasted a tv show. What about Antman and his 3 movies? Or GOTG and their 3 movies?

If you have to use a black version of Clark Kent, you should NOT be writing. Why tick off Clark Kent fans?

If Val is a blank slate-like Blade was almost 20+ years ago or even John Stewart was going into Justice League cartoon-you can do what you WANT.

Val crashes in Iowa and get taken in by say a Preacher. He grows up in McGregor Iowa. .3 black population and birthplace of Frank Lloyd Wright. There he develops his pacifist lifestyle.

Goes to the University of Iowa lets say he on the school debate team. He does not play sports because he knows about his powers. Lets say school shooting happens. One of his friends gets kill that he could have saved. It bothers him even after he graduates.

As long as you don't do black misery trope-you can make up what you want.

Astonishing Member

Nah it will be Clark. I’d love to see Ellis but a black Kent is still immersed in traditional Superman iconography in the way the others aren’t.
    I don’t want black Clark Kent, but at the same time I have a difficult time seeing how Coates wouldn’t use Clark, especially since Clark has the vast array of stories to draw upon while Val or Cal have comparatively little, and given how the stated intention is to redefine this icon I don’t it’s likely they would want to do that with a non-Clark Kent Superman.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Looks like it, although it’s been rumored for a while. If THR is reporting it though then that means progress is definitely being made on it.
    You know, there was a time where if you'd told me I'd be this hyped for a grounded, bleak, Joker movie with a strong indie arthouse flair to it (never mind a sequel to such film), while also feeling absolutely nothing at all over big Superman blockbuster movie news, I'd have called you crazy! But here we are. WB, fumbling the ball on Superman since 1983, but holy hell can they make some great Joker content. Just, wow...

I'm hoping they release more Joker movie news soon. Maybe during Fandome?

Incredible Member

Also it's concerning that Superman would have his story told in the past, the 20th century. I'm not sure how culturally relevant that's going to be for the African American/Black/African community in the present. Coincidently I just wrote a Cyborg fanfic based on his story developing in the 1900s when football first became a team sport in America. Football is kind of one of the many things that defines the Black experience in America. It's part of the culture. If Cyborg was a Marvel property an all ages Cyborg movie center on Football in the 1900s would have been a Disney classic movie. I'm not a big Marvel fan and still haven't bought a Black Panther comic but I have to give them their props because they give D list characters chances to shine multiple times while fans of DC's c and D list characters have to be happy with the crumbs that they give us. But hopefully this new Superman project will be full of soul and allows the character to really breathe and come to life.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    What iconic stuff does Blade have? Yet unlike Hal Jordan-he got 3 movies and 2 tv shows.
    There's another Blade tv show? I only know of the 2006 series (which btw was criminally underrated).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    There's another Blade tv show? I only know of the 2006 series (which btw was criminally underrated).
    There was an anime series that ran for about 12 episodes or so.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 05-05-2021 at 11:52 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    Also it's concerning that Superman would have his story told in the past, the 20th century. I'm not sure how culturally relevant that's going to be for the African American/Black/African community in the present. Coincidently I just wrote a Cyborg fanfic based on his story developing in the 1900s when football first became a team sport in America. Football is kind of one of the many things that defines the Black experience in America. It's part of the culture. If Cyborg was a Marvel property an all ages Cyborg movie center on Football in the 1900s would have been a Disney classic movie. I'm not a big Marvel fan and still haven't bought a Black Panther comic but I have to give them their props because they give D list characters chances to shine multiple times while fans of DC's c and D list characters have to be happy with the crumbs that they give us. But hopefully this new Superman project will be full of soul and allows the character to really breathe and come to life.
    I mean, X-Men First Class, Wonder Woman, and Joker were all period pieces and they turned out big. Maybe they think making it too current would make it impossible to avoid the Black Lives Matter protests, which sadly is still a hot button controversial issue here?

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    There was an anime inspired one that was ran for about 12 episodes or so.
    Heck, I totally forgot about that and I own it on DVD!XD

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    No they don't.

A black Superman written by the guy who HATED the concept Wakanda and Black Panther. With many JEDI handwaving any criticism as hating or attacks on black folks.
    Hey I said they wanted it, not that they were thinking things through on how to get it