Page 800 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 3007007507907967977987998008018028038048108509001300 ... LastLast
Results 11,986 to 12,000 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Renee montoya in the dceu was raceswapped too.
    She is black latino in the dceu but a brown latino in comics,animation other live action tv like gotham.
    Dceu Pedro Peña of the shazam family is a white latino but brown in comics.

Note-
    The older Pedro was played by a white actor as well in dceu.
    The actor is italian.
    To be fair, most non-latino Americans have no clue that there's more than one race of latino.

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Cry me a river. All those POC characters are amazing when the threat of a Black Superman emerges.
    But when Supes is a corn-fed white guy, we go back to ignoring characters of color heading up comics and TV shows.
    Spare me the faux indignation.
    The fact that the usual suspects are triggered about this doesn't surprise at all.
    Maybe WB is on to something. Maybe it's time to do something different with Superman after stumbling again and again with the character cinematically.
    It's not like you can't find Clark Kent on TV. Let's change it up on the big screen.
    Go with Calvin Ellis.
    It's not faux indignation - we're not the ones ignoring the characters by and large. WB doesn't give them tv and movies, so we can't watch them. And frankly, the comics isn't the end all be all here - honestly, it shouldn't be brought up at all. Not when the MCU can make films about characters who haven't lead their own solos in years or isn't selling many books at all.

Edit - Also, Calvin Ellis? You know they're giving us a black Clark Kent, not Calvin Ellis. Frankly, we wouldn't be moaning and groaning if we thought it'd be Calvin Ellis. I'd love a Calvin Ellis movie.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 05-06-2021 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Nah sorry don't agree with this
    You can see all these characters in tv or streaming or animated movies
    What you are complaining about is Latina supergirl or black superman simply for the sake of upholding the virtue of other characters that are already being featured in other media
    Its ridiculous and a weak argument
    Black Lightning has a TV show a very good one
    Jessica Cruz is going to star in the green lanterns show

A movie featuring a black superman is only controversial because you are trying to create a situation where other characters are not pushed by this decision which is false

This racswapping has been going on since the 60s and 70s and suddenly its a big issue because of superman???
    Disagree - a CW show doesn't equal a big budget movie or even a better produced streaming/HBO/cable/anything-not-on-the-goddamned-CW show. Not even close.
    And the animated movies, really?
    You're pointing at the worst superhero media and saying that's as good as a movie in theaters? Or that it's on the level of Netflix's Marvel shows or Disney+'s MCU shows?

You can't really point to that and then tell me WB is seriously pushing their POC properties just as well as their white ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    And I wouldn't say that's the case for DC either. Michael B. Jordan is producing a Static Shock movie, a Blue Beetle movie is in development, the Green Lantern show will feature Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz, Black Adam is currently shooting and had it not been for that huge blow-up, Cyborg would've been back for the Flash movie. The problem with this argument is that it's presuming that race swapping a white character would mean DC wouldn't also use actual non-white heroes and villains from the comics, when thus far that has not been shown to be the case.
    I'm not giving WB credit on those until they come out. Right now I'm in a cautious wait and see mode...

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Rosie the actor and in dceu is a black latino.
    Renee is so far as been only shown as black latino in the dceu.
    The character renee in comics,cartoons and other places has been shown to not be a black latino,but a brown one.
    Plenty of people here in New York would not call Rosie Perez black. Afro-Latin@s vary in shade and features, I don't see Perez as a vast departure, certainly not from any inconsistency in skin color.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    It's not faux indignation - we're not the ones ignoring the characters by and large. WB doesn't give them tv and movies, so we can't watch them. And frankly, the comics isn't the end all be all here - honestly, it shouldn't be brought up at all. Not when the MCU can make films about characters who haven't lead their own solos in years or isn't selling many books at all.

Edit - Also, Calvin Ellis? You know they're giving us a black Clark Kent, not Calvin Ellis. Frankly, we wouldn't be moaning and groaning if we thought it'd be Calvin Ellis. I'd love a Calvin Ellis movie.
    A Calvin Ellis movie would be great but there may be way too much story to cover with him being President of his earth. A Val Zod story on the other hand could be streamlined (plus that costume is ridiculously awesome!).

I think enough of the mainstream audience is familiar with the multiverse and the character Zod. It would be a different take on the Superman mythos from a lot of different angles. Not only is the Superman of this earth black but he’s trying to be a pacifist when his father was a wanna be dictator. It sucks that WB has squandered so much story potential.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Plenty of people here in New York would not call Rosie Perez black. Afro-Latin@s vary in shade and features, I don't see Perez as a vast departure, certainly not from any inconsistency in skin color.
    Rosie Perez looks clearly black and my point is that renee in the dceu is race swap but still latino.

Extraordinary Member

Disagree - a CW show doesn't equal a big budget movie or even a better produced streaming/HBO/cable/anything-not-on-the-goddamned-CW show. Not even close.
    And the animated movies, really?
    You're pointing at the worst superhero media and saying that's as good as a movie in theaters? Or that it's on the level of Netflix's Marvel shows or Disney+'s MCU shows?
    What you do think of superman and lois a cw show(that is really/looks like a hbo max dc show on the cw) that look like movie each week and upcoming stargirl on the cw?

We're pretty much at the point were we are getting 2-3 DC films per year, its inevitable that your favourite character is going to get a movie.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Black clark kent is alright with me.As long as the concepts itself changed.We been using the shell of older concepts without the bite for 60 and 70 years.On top of that,they have actually given messianic "dad" like rule book clinging "Boyscout" paint to the character.That's kinda dumb for me.The whole "Superman is soooo good and soooo nice" reverence.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

What you do think of superman and lois a cw show(that is really/looks like a hbo max dc show on the cw) that look like movie each week and upcoming stargirl on the cw?
    Well, first I'd disagree that it looks like a movie each week - don't get me wrong the cinematography is fantastic, and a lot of it does look like it's out of a movie. But a lot of it also doesn't.

Sadly, cinematography is this show's best feature. The writing is...it bores me. The family drama, while a bit better than CW's usual family drama, isn't much better. The small town falling apart stuff is cliche. The teenage angst crap is very much the CW. The evil Superman bits from the other earth is just frustrating Snyder phooey again. Basically, the only things I like is the cinematography and the once or twice an episode Clark just gets to be Superman. I see why people starved for good Superman content after 20+ years are flocking to it, but it's just not of interest to me outside of the 5-10 minutes I get to see Superman being Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    A Calvin Ellis movie would be great but there may be way too much story to cover with him being President of his earth. A Val Zod story on the other hand could be streamlined (plus that costume is ridiculously awesome!).

I think enough of the mainstream audience is familiar with the multiverse and the character Zod. It would be a different take on the Superman mythos from a lot of different angles. Not only is the Superman of this earth black but he’s trying to be a pacifist when his father was a wanna be dictator. It sucks that WB has squandered so much story potential.
    I don't know much of Val-Zod, but I'd definitely give it a shot.
    While I'm not supportive of race bending, I do have to say my favorite Zod is black - from the Syfy TV show Krypton. If they could get him to play daddy Zod for Val-Zod's origin that'd be cool.

Accidentally skipped over Stargirl - it's oddly the opposite of Superman and Lois - I think the show looks kind of cheap, but I love the writing and acting so much better on this show compared to Superman and Lois!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I don't know much of Val-Zod, but I'd definitely give it a shot.
    While I'm not supportive of race bending, I do have to say my favorite Zod is black - from the Syfy TV show Krypton. If they could get him to play daddy Zod for Val-Zod's origin that'd be cool.
    Val-zod can be clark kent.It's just a name give to a child that crash landed.I mean lor-zod is The Superman of a verse.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    We're pretty much at the point were we are getting 2-3 DC films per year, its inevitable that your favourite character is going to get a movie.
    My favorite characters are Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman - they've already gotten movies, and good ones! But Superman's last good movie was decades ago with Superman II...