Page 845 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 3457457958358418428438448458468478488498558959451345 ... LastLast
Results 12,661 to 12,675 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Black Adam will most likely never share screentime with Affleck's Batman, so it's entirely possible that he's being accurate within the context of the film. The JSA guys most likely don't kill, and thus far they're the only superheroes confirmed to appear in the movie.

Now, you can argue about whether or not that's sincere in a universe where Superman annihilated a city and Batman branded people knowing they'd get murdered in prison, but those creative choices really aren't on this team.
    You spelled Zod wrong.

Black Adam will most likely never share screentime with Affleck's Batman, so it's entirely possible that he's being accurate within the context of the film. The JSA guys most likely don't kill, and thus far they're the only superheroes confirmed to appear in the movie.

Now, you can argue about whether or not that's sincere in a universe where Superman annihilated a city and Batman branded people knowing they'd get murdered in prison, but those creative choices really aren't on this team.
    Of course Flashpoint might end up deleting those two incarnations in which case it’s all a moot point since they’re the big source of all the Snyderisms. But the JSA as the clean cut retro heroes who have the classic rules against killing and care about civilian casualties would still make for a good contrast with the rest of the Snyder characters.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

We all know the real reason superheroes don't kill often in the comics and it isn't about some higher moral standard. Why superhero fans continue to treat a hero killing a bad guy like something scandalous I'll never understand. Especially given the other illegal and unethical actions superheroes committ that are far less forgivable than shooting up sex traffickers or people who slaughter entire villages for fun and profit.

I look forward to seeing Hawkman braining people with a mace as fans perform award-winning mental gymnastics to argue he isn't killing people.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 07-12-2021 at 11:30 AM.

I just hope, if they do portray the JSA as the "classic" good guys, they don't make them come off as dumb or ineffectual just to make Black Adam look better. Although considering he's the lead, that will probably happen .
    Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Honestly, how many recent movie superheroes...don't kill? So it's not really like Black Adam plans to go somewhere new...
    Even MCU Spider-Man murked a bunch of aliens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    We all know the real reason superheroes don't kill often in the comics and it isn't about some higher moral standard. Why superhero fans continue to treat a hero killing a bad guy like something scandalous I'll never understand. Especially given the other illegal and unethical actions superheroes committ that are far less forgivable than shooting up sex traffickers or people who slaughter entire villages for fun and profit.

I look forward to seeing Hawkman braining people with amace as fans perform award-winning mental gymnastics to argue he isn't killing people.
    I mean, it started as a marketing thing but has also become a part of the general narrative of Superheroes. I don't think enforcing justice necessarily requires lethal force for people with powers beyond mortal men, but that's just my takeaway.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I look forward to seeing Hawkman braining people with amace as fans perform award-winning mental gymnastics to argue he isn't killing people.
    Lol, I know right.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just hope, if they do portray the JSA as the "classic" good guys, they don't make them come off as dumb or ineffectual just to make Black Adam look better. Although considering he's the lead, that will probably happen .

Even MCU Spider-Man murked a bunch of aliens.

I mean, it started as a marketing thing but has also become a part of the general narrative of Superheroes. I don't think enforcing justice necessarily requires lethal force for people with powers beyond mortal men, but that's just my takeaway.
    And yet this narrative has been thrown out time and time again at the whims of the writers. Even the current movie version of Spider-Man doesn't follow this rule.

I am perfectly capable of enjoying superhero stories where the heroes don't kill. I just don't see the need to cry foul if Superman puts down a genocidal loon who wants to slaughter an entire planet for his own amusement.

You spelled Zod wrong.
    Nah, I spelled Superman correctly. You don't need to aggressively leap to the defense of the film anytime someone here makes a joke about it.

Nah, I spelled Superman correctly. You don't need to aggressively leap to the defense of the film anytime someone here makes a joke about it.
    Pointing out inaccuracy =/= being aggressive. You wanna see aggression, try seeing the reactions of purists when MoS was released.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 07-12-2021 at 11:57 AM.

Pointing out inaccuracy =/= being aggressive. You wanna see aggression, try seeing the reactions of purists when MoS was released.
    Case in point...it's not a big deal, guy. There's no need for the persecution complex.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Oh no I agree that this team is free to do whatever they want and the JSA likely won't kill to provide a contrast.

Just commenting that Batfleck was very much killing people with the ****-off guns mounted on his car.

I look forward to seeing Hawkman braining people with a mace as fans perform award-winning mental gymnastics to argue he isn't killing people.
    People may not necessarily want Hawkman to dish out severe beatings with his mace that look lethal either.

Would it be much different from the mental gymnastics of Snyder saying Batman's actions in BvS were "manslaughter instead of murder" or that Superman didn't kill anybody in Africa despite obliterating a guy through a wall on screen?

Case in point...it's not a big deal, guy.
    Kind of the pot calling the kettle black here.

There's no need for the persecution complex.
    I'm not the one with the persecution complex.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 07-12-2021 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Oh no I agree that this team is free to do whatever they want and the JSA likely won't kill to provide a contrast.

Just commenting that Batfleck was very much killing people with the ****-off guns mounted on his car.

People may not necessarily want Hawkman to dish out severe beatings with his mace that look lethal either.

Would it be much different from the mental gymnastics of Snyder saying Batman's actions in BvS were "manslaughter instead of murder" or that Superman didn't kill anybody in Africa despite obliterating a guy through a wall on screen?
    It's Hawkman. Hitting people with a spiky, heavy chunk of metal is what he's known for. There are only so many ways you can make that look non-lethal.

Well, murder has a specific definition that online fans ignore when talking about Snyder's DCEU films (namely the part about needing to be premeditated).

And I've seen fans defend far less ambiguous instances of heroes killing than the guy through the wall.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 07-12-2021 at 12:13 PM.

Kind of the pot calling the kettle black here.
    I'm not the one who got upset about an innocuous joke and who has a history of doing so at the slightest criticism of MOS on here.

I'm not the one with the persecution complex.
    Then bringing up the hatred from Superman "purists" was an odd move, to say the least.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Perhaps not. Still wouldn't surprise me if it did happen anyway.

Well, murder has a specific definition that online fans ignore when talking about Snyder's DCEU films (namely the part about needing to be premeditated).
    Murder or manslaughter, the definition isn't going to be satisfying after how tiresome it is to see Batman keep killing in the movies, with this take being cranked up to 11. I also don't think the branding and knowing criminals will be killed because of it qualifies as manslaughter.

Premeditated murder or no, Superman felt anguished about having to kill Zod but apparently DGAF in the sequels. There are a lot of mental gymnastics performed for something that was done more for shock value than consistent characterization.

I'm not the one who got upset about an innocuous joke and who has a history of doing so at the slightest criticism of MOS on here.

Then bringing up the hatred from Superman "purists" was an odd move, to say the least.
    Again, pointing out something inaccurate is not me being upset. How you jumped to that conclusion over one single line is beyond me. Your lame joke isn't as hard hitting as you think it is.

It was to provide an actual example of people being upset or aggressive. You apparently seem to remember only that I like MoS and nothing else of the nature of those conversations, let alone what the other comments were like.