Page 86 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 3676828384858687888990961361865861086 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 20948

Saw Aquaman, probably my favorite DCEU movie yet. Yeah the 3rd act in WW brings it down a bit. I wasn’t sold on Momoa in Justice League, but he was a great Arthur Curry in this one.
    Anyway Superman wasn’t in much of Justice League, if they promoted him as much as much as the others, it would have created dishonest expectations. Like what they did with Joker in Suicide Squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    ...I liked Wonder Woman's third act .

The general public seem so indifferent to Cavill's Superman that I'm not sure if that would have helped the marketing any.
    Hmm...okay. Thanks for sharing it with us. I really appreciate that!
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Honestly, Wonder Woman didn't help JL either. That movie basically became a hugely expensive disaster that WB wanted to be over and done with ASAP.

Eh, while an extra 100M from China would be welcome, if something like Suicide Squad can do so well without China, then I'm not sure if a sequel to one of the best received cbm of the current era really needs it.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Eh, while an extra 100M from China would be welcome, if something like Suicide Squad can do so well without China, then I'm not sure if a sequel to one of the best received cbm of the current era really needs it.
    Wonder Woman didn't even make 100 million in China (it was close though). It would help to stay in China but like you said it might be fine without.

I just got out of Aquaman, and honestly, I'm pretty disappointed. It just felt very hokey to me overall; like a SyFy movie with a bigger budget. To put it another way, I was getting Power Rangers vibes throughout, particularly when Black Manta was revealed. Acting was pretty subpar, too, in my opinion. And there were so many shots that were supposed to be epic that I just thought looked goofy. I know Wan gets a lot of praise, but I thought his cinematography here left a lot to be desired.

But then, I'm one of those weirdos who puts Batman v. Superman and Man of Steel at the top of my superhero movie list. Not just DCEU movie list, either; superhero movie list, period.

Anyhoo, I'll have to see this again, but right now, as far as DCEU films are concerned, Aquaman's resting very comfortably at the bottom of my list. Perhaps I was just expecting too much, though. I only ever watched the first trailer, because I didn't want to spoil myself like I accidentally did with BvS. Maybe if I had, though, I would've enjoyed it more.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Retired

Saw AQUAMAN for the second time and I actually enjoyed it a lot more the second time than the first. The first time, I was fighting off a migraine headache and I had a hard time seeing the screen. Plus I was trying to keep up with all that was happening on screen. This time I was feeling better and I knew the story already, so I could relax. I had a lot more emotions watching it the second time. That's what put WONDER WOMAN above it--because WW is a powerful emotional trip every time I watch it. AQUAMAN was nearly as good on the emotional level, but I care much more for Wonder Woman as a character.

My favourite part of AQUAMAN both times was everything set in Sicily. I just love all that. But the whole movie is so beautifully made. It's the best comic book movie I've seen. By which I mean it brings to life everything from a comic book--what I never thought I would ever see in a live action comic book movie. I am just astounded by the visuals. I'm surprised that some people are so churlish that they don't appreciate all that this movie offers. It's a marvel of movie magic.

I still felt exhausted sometimes in the middle of the movie, because there's just so much to take in. I wish I had a pause button. I look forward to getting the DVD so I don't have to get through the movie all in one sitting and I can replay scenes over and over again.

They should really make a movie where Mera and Wonder Woman team up.

I LOVED Aquaman! That third act is the best one I've seen in quite some time. 8/10.

midnight edge looks at the dc films that never got made over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    I LOVED Aquaman! That third act is the best one I've seen in quite some time. 8/10.
    That third act is just on another level! I feel like it's my favorite closing for a CBM ever! It's so beautiful, well choreographed and so grand. It's as if Lord of the Rings and Star Wars had a baby! That's how I'd describe Aquaman
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Can you imagine if we had Man of Steel in 2013, then WW in 2015, Aquaman in 2016, then introduce a new Batman in The Batman in 2017, what Justice League would have been like in 2018? It would have been so much better. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Honestly, Wonder Woman didn't help JL either. That movie basically became a hugely expensive disaster that WB wanted to be over and done with ASAP.
    JL was basically dead on arrival because of the negative reception to BVS. A lot of people simply had no interest in watching a sequel. A lot of people disliked these versions of Batman and Superman or were indifferent to them at best, and also had no investment in Aquaman, the Flash or Cyborg (brief cameos in a computer file don't build attachment, WB). That meant for a lot of people, pretty much the sole reason to see Justice League was Wonder Woman, and that simply wasn't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah, Snyder just shouldn't have been put in charge. That's on WB for giving him the power and demanding a lot of him when he wasn't qualified. I don't think it was his idea to squeeze in the Death of Superman, establish Wonder Woman and set up JL in BvS, was it? Those orders came from on high. And then they made him butcher the final film in the editing room. It was an already flawed film made considerably worse.

After MOS, they really should have slowed down and maybe even had Snyder step aside and do another franchise and leave another director to build off of MOS in a Superman solo, establish the rest of the Trinity, and go from there instead of rushing it all in one film. I know there would be an even worse deluge of "DC is just copying Marvel" comments if they just did individual solo films, but the good turn outs for Wonder Woman and Aquaman prove that that wasn't much of a big deal in the end.
    I think the big takeaway in hindsight is that it was an awful idea to try and use BVS as a launchpad for the Justice League and the DCEU. That was the exact wrong kind of movie to try and get people excited and hooked to see more of this universe. When people in our theater left Aquaman, they were hooting, cheering, and looking generally energized. They loved what they saw and had a lot of fun. By contrast, I recall the crowds letting out of BVS and looking like a funeral procession. Aside from some of the hardcore Snyder and DC fanboys, the audience with me by and large did not enjoy it.

There's a world where after Man of Steel they did Wonder Woman, Aquaman and maybe a few other successful solos before jumping into the crossover nonsense, and as a result, the narrative surrounding the franchise was much different.
    Last edited by Holt; 12-25-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I just got out of Aquaman, and honestly, I'm pretty disappointed. It just felt very hokey to me overall; like a SyFy movie with a bigger budget. To put it another way, I was getting Power Rangers vibes throughout, particularly when Black Manta was revealed. Acting was pretty subpar, too, in my opinion. And there were so many shots that were supposed to be epic that I just thought looked goofy. I know Wan gets a lot of praise, but I thought his cinematography here left a lot to be desired.

But then, I'm one of those weirdos who puts Batman v. Superman and Man of Steel at the top of my superhero movie list. Not just DCEU movie list, either; superhero movie list, period.

Anyhoo, I'll have to see this again, but right now, as far as DCEU films are concerned, Aquaman's resting very comfortably at the bottom of my list. Perhaps I was just expecting too much, though. I only ever watched the first trailer, because I didn't want to spoil myself like I accidentally did with BvS. Maybe if I had, though, I would've enjoyed it more.
    I think we have a similar perspective on the DCEU, Hawkman. I recognize that I'm in the minority putting BvS and MoS at the top (WW floating somewhere in between them), but Aquaman is probably at the bottom for me too for the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    Can you imagine if we had Man of Steel in 2013, then WW in 2015, Aquaman in 2016, then introduce a new Batman in The Batman in 2017, what Justice League would have been like in 2018? It would have been so much better. Sigh.
    Justice League would have been a failure no matter what the lead up to it was. You can't change a bad movie by just making sub par to good movies before it.

A creative failure, definitely. I think by this point we've seen enough of Zack Snyder's body of work that it shouldn't be surprising when he puts out a new movie and it isn't very good. But I definitely think there'd have been more hype leading into it if people actually gave a crap about more than a single character going into it. It still would've sucked, but it might not have been the box office flop it ended up being.