Page 860 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 3607608108508568578588598608618628638648709109601360 ... LastLast
Results 12,886 to 12,900 of 20948

Kirsten Dunst looked close enough to comic book Mary Jane but her MJ acted nothing like her comic book counterpart. None of that energetic, spitfire, devil-may-care attitude was present in her MJ. So as far as I'm concerned, nailing down the characters personality and what makes them, them, is more important than whether they have red hair or blonde hair and to be fixated on details like that feels superficial from my pov.

Kirsten Dunst's MJ was purposely written not to resemble the original MJ's personality since Raimi for some reason believed the audience would find her to be unlikable. It's not like Dunst wasn't capable of pulling off the original character, she just wasn't given the chance to. Hence I don't understand why both the attitude and physical appearance can't be faithfully translated, or where the assumption is coming from that just because I referenced Hollywood's often lazy practices when it comes to diversity means I'm somehow not interested in how the character's actual personality is translated to screen.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-30-2021 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Kirsten Dunst's MJ was purposely written not to resemble the original MJ's personality since Raimi for some reason believed the audience would find her to be unlikable. It's not like Dunst wasn't capable of pulling off the original character, she just wasn't given the chance to. Hence I don't understand why both the attitude and physical appearance can't be faithfully translated, or where the assumption is coming from that just because I referenced Hollywood's often lazy practices when it comes to diversity means I'm somehow not interested in how the character's actual personality is translated to screen.
    More like I think people in general are more fixated on how the actor looks like over, well, literally everything else that matters more.

'iS sHE gOIng To dYE HER haIR?', idk, how about is she going to be a libranian? A martial artist? Friendship with Supergirl and Black Canary? Is she going to be light and funny or overly grim and serious in this movie? Will she be a teenager or a college student in this? Who from her supporting cast is going to be in this? Is her costume going to be some ugly segmented armor or the Burnside look? Is her Batman going to be Affleck or Keaton? That stuff is higher on my list of priorities than whether she will be a red head or not.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    More like I think people in general are more fixated on how the actor looks like over, well, literally everything else that matters more.

'iS sHE gOIng To dYE HER haIR?', idk, how about is she going to be a libranian? A martial artist? Friendship with Supergirl and Black Canary? Is she going to be light and funny or overly grim and serious in this movie? Will she be a teenager or a college student in this? Who from her supporting cast is going to be in this? Is her costume going to be some ugly segmented armor or the Burnside look? Is her Batman going to be Affleck or Keaton? That stuff is higher on my list of priorities than whether she will be a red head or not.
    I can see that, but it doesn't mean the iconography of these characters should always be of secondary importance. There are many people who don't sound as superficial as this makes them out to be when it comes translating the characters faithfully to screen, and they're still being mocked and ridiculed for it anyway. Maybe for some of them the looks can indeed be of equal importance to the personality or the costume and they want to see the whole package so to speak. When Hollywood purposely keeps making sure that doesn't happen, people could naturally make their voices heard about it. As long as they don't tweet dumb **** to the actors about it or aren't being constantly lumped in with the vocal minority of fools by the Hollywood media, they should have the right to do that.
    Last edited by Johnny; 07-30-2021 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

Couldn't have put it better. I always look at it like this. Batman v Superman had, bar none, the most comic-accurate Batman costume seen on film. Straight off the page stuff. That did not magically solve the film's many, many problems. So how much the actor resembles the drawing is not high on my list of priorities. Is it cool when they can pull off that straight off the page look? Yeah, I like it. But it's by no means a necessity and I feel like too much weight gets put on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Couldn't have put it better. I always look at it like this. Batman v Superman had, bar none, the most comic-accurate Batman costume seen on film. Straight off the page stuff. That did not magically solve the film's many, many problems. So how much the actor resembles the drawing is not high on my list of priorities. Is it cool when they can pull off that straight off the page look? Yeah, I like it. But it's by no means a necessity and I feel like too much weight gets put on it.
    Ideally you can get both.

I don't see them changing the traditional Batgirl look as much as they seem to be doing with Sasha Calle's Supergirl.

Ideally, sure. But to me personally the former not necessarily being there isn't a death sentence or something I automatically get angry over. There are plenty of non-traditional casting choices I wound up enjoying quite a bit.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I can't wait for black adam to kickass.I hope they solve the mid-air combat problem and audiences not being able to understand the physics. i hope they spread the sequences out and not overwhelm people.Have them tune out.Black adam seems to be the movie for me.Genuinly love the characterisation of black adam in those teasers..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Extraordinary Member

So...the producer basically confirmed that the movie Black Adam will in fact use special effects...okay.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I can't wait for black adam to kickass.I hope they solve the mid-air combat problem and audiences not being able to understand the physics. i hope they spread the sequences out and not overwhelm people.Have them tune out.Black adam seems to be the movie for me.Genuinly love the characterisation of black adam in those teasers..
    What mid-air combat problem? They solved that in MoS and onward. Actually, that sort of thing's been done wellish to varying degrees for years.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    What mid-air combat problem? They solved that in MoS and onward. Actually, that sort of thing's been done wellish to varying degrees for years.
    MoS isn't the worst offender of the mid-air combat problem but I don't think they fixed it with that movie.

Shazam had it pretty bad in the 3rd act IMO.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Ideally, sure. But to me personally the former not necessarily being there isn't a death sentence or something I automatically get angry over. There are plenty of non-traditional casting choices I wound up enjoying quite a bit.
    I guess the closest we've gotten to an accurate live-action Batgirl was the Birds of Prey show, of all things.

Kind of wondering if they can pull off the hair coming out of the cowl now and keep her hair safe.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post

No they didn't..people tuned out.people couldn't understand the physics.The complaints with the movie is precisely because the audiences weren't entertained.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess the closest we've gotten to an accurate live-action Batgirl was the Birds of Prey show, of all things.
    Another example of why I don't put too much stock into that argument, funny enough.