Page 874 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 3747748248648708718728738748758768778788849249741374 ... LastLast
Results 13,096 to 13,110 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    In Europe people loved it. People were discussing /analysing the movie in schools and universities here. We are more likely to watch R-rated movies than most Americans.
    Really? Why?

I didn’t hate it. I just thought it was too predictable, especially for a Joker film. Not that superhero films aren't predictable but I was just expecting more surprises I guess.

At least the acting was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Villain-verse sounds like a Geoff Johns idea .

Next we'll see The Rogues get their own movie instead of a Flash sequel...a Luthor film...Cheetah spinoff...Harley Quinn/Amanda Waller is the new Nick Fury...
    Don’t say that like it’s a bad thing, lol.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Don’t say that like it’s a bad thing, lol.
    Well, I would prefer it if after we've gotten a few good Flash movies .

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Really? Why?

I didn’t hate it. I just thought it was too predictable, especially for a Joker film. Not that superhero films aren't predictable but I was just expecting more surprises I guess.

At least the acting was good.
    A study case to see how much one riff on Taxi Driver and still be called "bold and original".

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    A study case to see how much one riff on Taxi Driver and still be called "bold and original".
    Taxi Driver and King of Comedy. I swear that I could cut out the scenes from those two movies along with Fight Club and I could tell someone it was Joker, they wouldn't know the difference. That movie was so lazy, and so much less thought provoking or captivating or socially relevant than any of the other 3 movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    In Europe people loved it. People were discussing /analysing the movie in schools and universities here. We are more likely to watch R-rated movies than most Americans.
    Now that's the real Joke. Someone thinking that there's anything to learn from that movie. I was at a film school in Europe when the movie came out and most people actually knew the movies it was stealing from and knew why those other movies were so much better.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Now that's the real Joke. Someone thinking that there's anything to learn from that movie. I was at a film school in Europe when the movie came out and most people actually knew the movies it was stealing from and knew why those other movies were so much better.
    This is true. They compared it to Taxi Driver and other 70s movies (at universities, not schools). My generation knows about those 70s films but Joker basically helped younger generations discover those films and let them see something different rather than just popcorn flicks.
    Last edited by Veni; 08-08-2021 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, I would prefer it if after we've gotten a few good Flash movies .
    "If we put multiple versions of Flash in one movie, that is equivalent to a sequel right?" - DC probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    We all know what was really studied at University was Joaquin Phoenix's sweat dancing.

Last edited by I'm a Fish; 08-08-2021 at 12:22 PM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Box Office: ‘The Suicide Squad’ Opens to Lowly $26.5M as Moviegoers Stay Home Amid Delta Variant

James Gunn's antihero pic came in behind expectations as COVID-19 cases once again rise in the U.S. The film also debuted on HBO Max so that fans could watch it in the comfort of their own homes.

The box office recovery took another hit as Warner Bros. and DC’s critical darling The Suicide Squad opened to a less-than-expected $26.5 million from 4,002 North American theaters amid challenges posed by the Delta variant and a hybrid theatrical-home launch.

The movie could claim one victory: it scored the top North American opening of the pandemic-era for an R-rated title.

Overseas — where COVID-19 is likewise on the rise in a number of territories — The Suicide Squad collected a muted $35 million from 71 markets for a foreign tally of $45.7 million and global take of $72.2 million.

Heading into the weekend, Warners was predicting a $30 million start in North American theaters. The film was made available simultaneously on HBO Max, a practice that many box office pundits say hurts theatrical releases.

The studio so far has not disclosed streaming viewership numbers for its 2021 slate of films, including the DC Cinematic Universe tentpole. However, HBO Max chief Andy Forssell revealed Sunday that Suicide Squad boasted the second-most viewed opening of any film premiering day-and-date on HBO Max. Sources say Mortal Kombat is No. 1, although no one is certain of the viewership tally.

“As the country faces new challenges due to the COVID variant, we’re happy to continue to offer fans the option of viewing movies in their homes,” the executive said. “Many chose to do just that as Suicide Squad emerged as the second most viewed film over an opening weekend on HBO Max since we began day-and-date releases with theaters.”

A month ago, Disney and Marvel’s Black Widow opened to a pandemic-era best $80 million on the big screen. F9, which debuted in late June, is runner-up at $70 million.

However, as concerns over the Delta variant made headlines throughout August, the impact was felt at the box office as moviegoing comfort level fell. Over the July 30-August 2 weekend, Disney’s tentpole Jungle Cruise opened to $35 million domestically, a poor number in normal times (it did, however, outperform expectations).

“This weekend’s performance of The Suicide Squad shows yet again the unpredictability of a theatrical marketplace whose success rises and falls based on an ever-evolving set of disparate factors including not only the usual film-centric metrics, but also the impact of concerning pandemic news on consumer behavior,” says Comscore’s Paul Dergarabedian. “Of course, the day-and_date release of any film has implications, but in today’s environment it’s too simplistic to analyze a movie’s performance based on that variable alone since there are so many moving parts.”

A home release on HBO Max certainly complicates matters for Suicide Squad‘s theatrical potential, as does a Disney+ Premier Access option for Jungle Cruise. The latter, however, cost an extra $30 to watch on Premier Access, while Suicide Squad is offered at no extra charge to all HBO Max subscribers.

Both Warner Bros. and Disney maintain that they need to hedge their bets during the pandemic (they also want to grow their streaming services).

Critics adored Gunn’s Suicide Squad, which sports an impressive 92 percent “Fresh” rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Audiences were slightly less enthused, giving it a B+.

Males fueled the film, while also flocking to watch it in Imax and other premium large format screens. Combined, those screens turned more than 30 percent of the gross.

The movie hopes to reinvigorate the franchise following 2016’s Suicide Squad, which was directed by David Ayer and debuted to $175 million domestically. It is the 16th title in the DC Cinematic Universe and opened even lower than Birds of Prey, which also stars Robbie ($33 million) and launched in early 2020.

The Suicide Squad follows a group of convicts as they demolish a Nazi-era laboratory. Along the way, they encounter a giant alien named Starro.

Jungle Cruise earned $15.7 million in its second weekend, a relatively low drop of 54 percent (most even pics have fallen off steeply during the pandemic in their sophomore outings.) The live-action tentpole stars Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt.

Disney did not update Premier Access numbers for Jungle Cruise, which collected $30 million from Disney+ on its opening weekend.

Jungle Cruise has now earned $65.3 million domestically. At the overseas box office, it grossed another $15.1 million for a foreign tally of $56.5 million and $121.8 million globally.

Universal and M. Night Shyamalan’s Old placed No. 3 domestically in its third weekend with $4.1 million for a North American total of $38.5 million and $65.2 million domestically.

Black Widow held in at No. 4 in its fifth weekend with $4 million for a domestic cume of $174.4 million and $185.4 million overseas. Globally, its box office cume is $359.8 million.

Focus Features and Tom McCarthy’s Stillwater, starring Matt Damon, rounded out the top five in North America with $2.9 million for a 10-day total of $10 million.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...se-1234994557/
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-08-2021 at 12:49 PM.

Always amusing when studio executives try to paint a commercial disappointment in a positive light.

I can’t believe people are giving a shit about the box office with the pandemic still raging and case numbers higher than they’ve been in months. So basically we’re judging a movie by saying “is it so good you’d risk your life to watch it.”

If the Snyder bros are rejoicing that it’s not meeting box office expectations, all I’ll say is that I would MUCH rather have a movie that is loved by fans and critics than something that makes a lot of money but basically destroys a franchise for years to come.

I personally loved the Snyder Cut but I think it’s ridiculous how his cult is celebrating right now because The Suicide Squad had a “disappointing” opening weekend.

They’re pinning their hopes on Zaslov clearing house and firing Emmerich and Hamada because they haven’t been bringing in lots of hits. They don’t seem to realize that still wouldn’t mean Snyder gets to come back lmao, Zaslov would likely want to start over with a clean slate.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

A bit weird that Mortal Kombat is their biggest streaming hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I can’t believe people are giving a shit about the box office with the pandemic still raging and case numbers higher than they’ve been in months. So basically we’re judging a movie by saying “is it so good you’d risk your life to watch it.”

If the Snyder bros are rejoicing that it’s not meeting box office expectations, all I’ll say is that I would MUCH rather have a movie that is loved by fans and critics than something that makes a lot of money but basically destroys a franchise for years to come.

I personally loved the Snyder Cut but I think it’s ridiculous how his cult is celebrating right now because The Suicide Squad had a “disappointing” opening weekend.
    Zack executives produced The Suicide Squad...

Pretty stupid to celebrate his failure

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Some recent news about its HBO Max performance.

https://twitter.com/Luiz_Fernando_J/...920871940?s=20

https://twitter.com/Luiz_Fernando_J/...546116611?s=20

https://twitter.com/Luiz_Fernando_J/...198973958?s=20

"As the country faces new challenges due to the COVID variant, we’re happy to continue to offer fans the option of viewing movies in their homes. Many chose to do just that as #TheSuicideSquad emerged as 2nd most viewed film over an opening weekend on HBO Max......

.....also had biggest opening for #DCFilms, beating #WW84 & #ZackSnydersJusticeLeague."

Ooooh, certain aren't going to like that statement.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Incredible Member

I am not a Suicide Squad fan. I hold a very contemptuous view of virtually all of the DC films that have come out.

But the reality is people are not going to movies in-theater right now. That is the reality. Where I live the
    virus is out of control. Now after it is available on pay per view the numbers are low then you have something.

I wish we actually had more innovative movies, than regurgitated MCU films.