Page 875 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 3757758258658718728738748758768778788798859259751375 ... LastLast
Results 13,111 to 13,125 of 20948
    Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I thought TSS proved how you don’t need long origin stories or successful solo movies to make a good superhero movie. For me, especially because of Starro, this is how a Justice League movie could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I thought TSS proved how you don’t need long origin stories or successful solo movies to make a good superhero movie. For me, especially because of Starro, this is how a Justice League movie could work.
    I agree. Personally I cant stand origin stories. Always feels like a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    I agree. Personally I cant stand origin stories. Always feels like a waste of time.
    Depends on the character. Superman hadn't had an origin movie since 1978. I think starting over and giving him a modern origin movie to then build a foundation of other movies on was the right choice, but then that MoS movie turned out to be horribly divisive and so much went downhill from there. A Batman doesn't need a new origin movie. Everyone knows his origin and the Nolan movies aren't that old and still fairly modern, but then other characters that had never appeared in a live action movie before like a Wonder Woman probably needed an origin movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Always amusing when studio executives try to paint a commercial disappointment in a positive light.
    There's no separating these numbers from the pandemic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They’re pinning their hopes on Zaslov clearing house and firing Emmerich and Hamada because they haven’t been bringing in lots of hits. They don’t seem to realize that still wouldn’t mean Snyder gets to come back lmao, Zaslov would likely want to start over with a clean slate.
    I would argue that most DC fans want zaslov to fire everyone simply because they want a hard reboot that starts from scratch rather than this zombie franchise

A reboot from scratch simply seems to be the ONLY option that will work long term

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Depends on the character. Superman hadn't had an origin movie since 1978. I think starting over and giving him a modern origin movie to then build a foundation of other movies on was the right choice, but then that MoS movie turned out to be horribly divisive and so much went downhill from there. A Batman doesn't need a new origin movie. Everyone knows his origin and the Nolan movies aren't that old and still fairly modern, but then other characters that had never appeared in a live action movie before like a Wonder Woman probably needed an origin movie.
    Yeah I think only Batman and Spider-Man are the two where you can just skip over the origins. Aquaman, WW, GL, the rest all need them. Which makes me curious if they’ll be showing DCEU Barry’s origin in the Flash or if they’ll simply count on the TV show having filled that gap.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I feel like we are just swimming in Superhero stories so we can just dive in to the stories that are out there and waiting. I loved how TSS leaned into the silliness of it all. The big bad was ridiculous and terrifying. I know the box office is light but they should stick with the vision. I’m not saying make James Gunn Kevin Feige but definitely let him have access to the other characters.

It depends on the character. Some might just need a couple of lines to establish who they are so you can just get rolling with the story. Otherwise might need a little more room to be established.

Well, people do like origin stories, “What If?” For Marvel will probably be a new origin story every week or so?

Wouldnt matter what character. How famous or abscure.

Personally would rather just start with the middle. The more compelling spectacular stories.

If an origin story is really needed (and it never really is) a prequel movie could be made.

I just find that whole origin part generally boring... unnecessary... mayne a few lines of dialog or a quick clip... or during the opening credits.

Not a whole movie needs to be wasted on an origin tale.

Its just my opinion though. If u love origins all the power to you.

Wouldnt matter what character. How famous or abscure.

Personally would rather just start with the middle. The more compelling spectacular stories.

If an origin story is really needed (and it never really is) a prequel movie could be made.

I just find that whole origin part generally boring... unnecessary... mayne a few lines of dialog or a quick clip... or during the opening credits.

Not a whole movie needs to be wasted on an origin tale.

Its just my opinion though. If u love origins all the power to you.
    I think you need to introduce the general audience to these characters when their background isn't super well known. So you can then build more complex stories on top of what you started with. If you start with something deep in the lore you are going to possibly confuse the average person probably. It is basic storytelling. I can't think of many superhero movies that didn't start with some kind of origin. Even this Suicide Squad movie had the previous movie to act as an origin of the Suicide Squad team for the general public. It is fine if you don't like origin stories, but I can't think of many movies that didn't begin with an origin of some sort.

Also you have the issue of actors aging. So it is difficult to work backwards with prequel movies if you start in the middle instead of starting with an origin. Like a live action Teen Titans movie would need to start at the beginning of the team probably because with young actors you have a small window of them being young.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah I think only Batman and Spider-Man are the two where you can just skip over the origins. Aquaman, WW, GL, the rest all need them. Which makes me curious if they’ll be showing DCEU Barry’s origin in the Flash or if they’ll simply count on the TV show having filled that gap.
    I mean, Barry's origin is so simple that you just need to show him in his lab getting hit by a lightning bolt which would take all of five seconds.

I think you need to introduce the general audience to these characters when their background isn't super well known. So you can then build more complex stories on top of what you started with. If you start with something deep in the lore you are going to possibly confuse the average person probably. It is basic storytelling. I can't think of many superhero movies that didn't start with some kind of origin. Even this Suicide Squad movie had the previous movie to act as an origin of the Suicide Squad team for the general public. It is fine if you don't like origin stories, but I can't think of many movies that didn't begin with an origin of some sort.

Also you have the issue of actors aging. So it is difficult to work backwards with prequel movies if you start in the middle instead of starting with an origin. Like a live action Teen Titans movie would need to start at the beginning of the team probably because with young actors you have a small window of them being young.
    Im not suggest no mention of there origin. Just not a film dedicated to it.

B89 is definitely not an origin film but they do reference the murder scene at the vary least... if anything it's an origin story for the joker, but again this doesnt feel like an origin film.

Most important origin info can be quickly glazed over.

Peacemaker origin is referenced

Bloodsport is referenced

Ratcatcher 2 gets a short clip

And no one has to have seen Suicide Squad 1 for gunns movie to make sense or be emotionally compelling

Again each to there own but a genuine origin film is a waste for me and generally the audience doesn't need more then a few minutes of info about there origin

I was recommending The Suicide Squad to my coworkers, who are just casual fans (they love the Marvel films and tv shows though). It’s a surprisingly hard sell because the stink of the first movie is still lingering. Suicide Squad 2016, BvS, and Josstice League have done a huge amount of damage.
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-09-2021 at 12:19 AM.

Im not suggest no mention of there origin. Just not a film dedicated to it.

B89 is definitely not an origin film but they do reference the murder scene at the vary least... if anything it's an origin story for the joker, but again this doesnt feel like an origin film.

Most important origin info can be quickly glazed over.

Peacemaker origin is referenced

Bloodsport is referenced

Ratcatcher 2 gets a short clip

And no one has to have seen Suicide Squad 1 for gunns movie to make sense or be emotionally compelling

Again each to there own but a genuine origin film is a waste for me and generally the audience doesn't need more then a few minutes of info about there origin
    There are different kinds of origin movies. The normal solo movie origin like Batman Begins or Man of Steel that focus on a single character, but then you also have team origin movies. Like Guardians of the Galaxy or the previous Suicide Squad movie. Where it is about the origin of the team coming together for the first time where you get some background origins of some of the team members (the most popular ones/leads of the movie) to let the audience know where these characters came from, but it is still a team origin movie. Even this new Suicide Squad movie was kind of an origin movie for the new team, but the concept of the team was at least introduced in the previous SS movie. Every Suicide Squad movie is basically going to be an origin movie for the new team given the concept of the team I guess, lol.