Page 911 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 4118118619019079089099109119129139149159219611011 ... LastLast
Results 13,651 to 13,665 of 20948

I think the reverence hurts Superman, too.
    It's why now whenever they make a movie (or try to), they feel this need to justify him with some deeper meaning or thesis statement. Which is how we wound up with the sourpuss objectivist Jesus in Snyder's movies. Even before Man of Steel, Superman Returns had this overly reverent tone with it's own share of Jesus imagery. They spent years trying to make Superman Lives, which would've been all about how he carries the weight of the world on his shoulders and what a terrible and lonely burden it is for him and blah-blah-blah.

And it all results in this dour, joyless vision of Superman that drains the life out of him.

Stop making him Jesus and just throw him in some pulpy sci-fi adventure. Send him off into space. Let him punch robots. Two or three of his rogues are talking apes. Stop lecturing me about how Superman is this great inspiration and symbol of hope and all that crap and just let him be Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    I suspect rather than fixing the DCEU what we will get is them restarting
    projects, with new actors. Reimagining that kind of thing.
    What we have now is probably what we will have in the future.

If they have a real reboot that would work it has to start with Superman.
    But the Superman projects are in tatters. Until at least Coates find a way to save it.
    But everything flows from Superman, for the obvious reason that he sets the
    template. That was the way it worked in the Golden Age, he has a reverence
    beyond simply his powers. If Superman is screwed up, nothing else will work.
    As a Superman fan I don’t agree. The Nolan Batman films worked just fine without Supes. The first WW movie, Aquaman, and Shazam would’ve been good even if they weren’t connected to him. The Suicide Squad was great despite Superman being a complete mess right now. Getting him right isn’t a requirement to do well with others. That the DCU revolves around Batman and Superman hasn’t been healthy for the universe in the long term.

Also I don’t see Coates “saving” the franchise lmao. His BP and Cap runs were terrible. His only evidence of being a good fit for Supes is he liked the DCAU take (which I do not). I’m expecting something on the level of Superman Returns a pretentious project that’s all about what Superman “means (as a black man this time)” that gets ok reviews but meh reception from the public at best. Which is fine, that’s not evil Superman or Supercuck like Snyder wanted so I have no real objection, but I don’t see the upcoming film project getting a lot of interest or excitement. Could be wrong but I don’t think I am. I expect the Krypto movie and MAWS will do more to reignite interest.

We’re heading into an era where Black Adam will be one of the bigger characters in the DCU, and Batman and Superman won’t be the focus of the shared universe. Time will tell how successful their attempt to move on is.
    Last edited by Vordan; 10-09-2021 at 12:46 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Oh that DC’s continuity mess has jumped to their movies is hilarious to me. That’s what happens when you just keep letting Snyder dig deeper and deeper because you want that Avengers movie so badly. If WW hadn’t been a success they probably would’ve killed the whole universe and rebooted but now they can’t or won’t.
    I think Wonder Woman and Aquaman will be standalone trilogies. Gal Gadot and Jason Momoa will not remain Wonder Woman and Aquaman forever. They have other upcoming projects coming up. After that, they will reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    I think Wonder Woman and Aquaman will be standalone trilogies. Gal Gadot and Jason Momoa will not remain Wonder Woman and Aquaman forever. They have other upcoming projects coming up. After that, they will reboot.
    If Flash flops I agree, but they’re still planning projects set in the DCEU as of right now. Supergirl is getting a movie or at least has one in preproduction. Batgirl is in the DCEU.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I think the reverence hurts Superman, too.
    It's why now whenever they make a movie (or try to), they feel this need to justify him with some deeper meaning or thesis statement. Which is how we wound up with the sourpuss objectivist Jesus in Snyder's movies. Even before Man of Steel, Superman Returns had this overly reverent tone with it's own share of Jesus imagery. They spent years trying to make Superman Lives, which would've been all about how he carries the weight of the world on his shoulders and what a terrible and lonely burden it is for him and blah-blah-blah.

And it all results in this dour, joyless vision of Superman that drains the life out of him.

Stop making him Jesus and just throw him in some pulpy sci-fi adventure. Send him off into space. Let him punch robots. Two or three of his rogues are talking apes. Stop lecturing me about how Superman is this great inspiration and symbol of hope and all that crap and just let him be Superman.
    He ends up inspirational just by being who he is.

Films are "show, don't tell." just show him being awesome and likeable and it will do the job. Like you say, going so hard on the reverence without any character work to back it up just makes it feel hollow.

Incredible Member

Most new projects are being developed for HBO Max. I suspect that they are waiting until the merger with the Discovery channel to go through before they announce the movies going directly to theatres. Even then what's going to be announced will be mid budget since China is tightening the restrictions even more than before. So movie budgets will be a big priority. I suspect that Cyborg will still be part of the group in some way, maybe without all of the bulky cybernetics. Jovian Wade's Cyborg in Doom Patrol mentioned briefly how it could have been possible that he could have been saved with synthetic skin instead of all of the bulky cybernetics. So it seems atleast the writers of Doom Patrol are aware of the storyline that ended the New Teen Titans first run with Cyborg trying to look more human with synthetic skin. That last storyline before New Teen Titans baxter edition # 1 also introduced the villain Jinx and was the second appearance of Sarah Charles. I suspect that Green Arrow will get a big ticket movie along with Green lantern (Jo or john). And then probably the Martian Manhunter and then a Cyborg movie without the heavy cgi appearance.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I think Cyborgs time on the big screen is done for the next decade. WB will want to distance themselves from Ray as much as possible and recasting the character anytime soon looks bad on their part

Incredible Member

i think there's still a chance since Warner Bros recently called Zach Snyder's Justice League a global phenomenon. Cyborg might be the only hero who's still green that can give them a bit of traction world wide but like I said, Cyborg would probably have to be less cgi for it to be within a mid-tier budget.

It's sad that some fans (not all) and also all the media are portraying Fisher as the aggressor. Fisher complaint against Harmada is that Harmada stopped the complaints of abuse on set from going up the chain of command. This is big from my pov because if he did it once he can do it again and probably get away with it because nothing was done in the first instance.

cyborgcomplaint.jpg

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I think Cyborgs time on the big screen is done for the next decade. WB will want to distance themselves from Ray as much as possible and recasting the character anytime soon looks bad on their part
    He did say he was gonn troll them forever so kinda

They didn’t even have Cyborg as an option for fanart submission on the Fandome site. Don’t know how anyone can think there’s a chance of Cyborg continuing to get a chance on the film side. Doom Patrol will be where Vic gets appearances in live action but I don’t see any chance of Fisher coming back as long as Hamada and Emmerich are in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They didn’t even have Cyborg as an option for fanart submission on the Fandome site. Don’t know how anyone can think there’s a chance of Cyborg continuing to get a chance on the film side. Doom Patrol will be where Vic gets appearances in live action but I don’t see any chance of Fisher coming back as long as Hamada and Emmerich are in charge.
    I am in agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    They don't seem to be working on it "immediately" if MOS2 being in development hell for so long before ultimately shitting the bed is any indication (if it was ever going to exist).

I don't think it's that detrimental to the JSA because IMO they should be on their own Earth anyway. It's really only detrimental to Wonder Woman in the way they weirdly decided to go with it in the DCEU.
    That's the movie side. We are still getting tv shows and animated movies with the 'classic' Superman like Superman & Lois and Man of Tomorrow. The movie side may not care but the latter two did a good job in rehabilitating the brand. The near universal positive reaction to Routh's return to the role in COIE just shows how badly WB fumbled the ball by not doing any follow up to Superman Returns.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I am perfectly fine with whatever they decide to do with superman.Cause i am getting black adam.I hope the character is kickass..I mean,even if they did something with superman it might have been not for me.So it's cool.I like supes with some fire...I don't think i will be getting that.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-10-2021 at 06:16 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Incredible Member

Just saw Birds of Prey/Harley Quinn movie for the first time on cable and I thought it was pretty good. The art direction was amazing. I think the director was probably going for an impressionist painting vibe visually, especially with the cameo of 'Frida' in the movie. Visually speaking I love the art direction in the scene with Harley Quinn and Casandra eating cereal and watching cartoons reminded me of Lucille Ball. But the actor's Harley voice is kind of annoying. My other favorite part visually is in the end at the Fun House with the Huntress fighting scenes. the director definitely do have a great visual mind to come up with those set pieces. The huntress deviated greatly from the comics but I thought her performance was kind of ground breaking. I don't think I have ever seen a female character portrayed in that way. She kind of had a psychotic tick similar to Dexter. Huntress started off kind of shaky but she was my favorite but I thought the scene hack/origin of the tragedy in Russia with the last Czar was kind of disrespecful. the Black Canary had a decent performance. I never expected that she would be the second Black Canary. One of my favorite Justice League stories is when the two Black Canaries switched bodies, exchanged souls but that story is still kind of confusing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    i think there's still a chance since Warner Bros recently called Zach Snyder's Justice League a global phenomenon.
    HBO Max representatives called it global phenomenon, and only because there have been many accusations that they are silent about the success of the Snyder Cut. It doesn't mean they're going to continue his vision, it's done. Especially if Batman, Flash and Black Adam will be a success, and they will, most likely.