Page 913 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 4138138639039099109119129139149159169179239631013 ... LastLast
Results 13,681 to 13,695 of 20948

Phillip Kennedy Johnson is getting lots of hate from snyder fans for expressing an opinion that he prefers a different take from the one in the movies of snyder.
    Seems any writer or whatever, that has a different opinion, he is not entitled to that and he is an enemy that has to be insulted.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goldrake View Post
    Phillip Kennedy Johnson is getting lots of hate from snyder fans for expressing an opinion that he prefers a different take from the one in the movies of snyder.
    Seems any writer or whatever, that has a different opinion, he is not entitled to that and he is an enemy that has to be insulted.
    What did he say?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Source? Last we heard from him was “the cape is still in my closet”.
    "Along with my Witcher swords...by the way."

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    What did he say?
    Basically said he’s not a fan of Man of Steel. That’s it. Doesn’t take much to set off that lot.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Basically said he’s not a fan of Man of Steel. That’s it. Doesn’t take much to set off that lot.
    That's it? Plenty of people say that

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    What did he say?
    https://twitter.com/PhillipKJohnson/...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    He seems to have not expressed his opinion clearly previously. At this point in time, I think it's clear that Man of Steel was a decent film, only warped in perception because people didn't want to see Superman struggle and instead just view him as an invulnerable protective dad.

Which is fine as the character was co-created by a teenager who just lost his real-life dad and needed that reassuring and powerful male figure in his life. Man of Steel wasn't really interested in THAT though.

"Don't want to see Superman struggle?"

Are we forgetting ten seasons of Tom Welling dropping to the floor because the bad guy had kryptonite infused loose change in their pocket yet people were still hyped to see him come back in COIE?

It's not that people didn't want to see Superman struggle, it's just that Snyder's version just isn't what people wanted at the time. The movie came out in a time when people wanted more true blue superheroics and not quasi deconstructionist take on the character. WB learned all the wrong lessons from Superman Returns failure and thought what the audience wanted was a darker story not a better one.

Also, I think that story about Superman's creators being inspired by the RL murder of their Dad has been debunked.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    "Don't want to see Superman struggle?"

Are we forgetting ten seasons of Tom Welling dropping to the floor because the bad guy had kryptonite infused loose change in their pocket yet people were still hyped to see him come back in COIE?

It's not that people didn't want to see Superman struggle, it's just that Snyder's version just isn't what people wanted at the time. The movie came out in a time when people wanted more true blue superheroics and not quasi deconstructionist take on the character. WB learned all the wrong lessons from Superman Returns failure and thought what the audience wanted was a darker story not a better one.

Also, I think that story about Superman's creators being inspired by the RL murder of their Dad has been debunked.
    People complained viciously about Welling's Superman as well. I've followed discussion of Smallville for years and a lot of it is very similar to the complaints about the DCEU version. Both Welling and Cavill were "true blue heroes" they just weren't in very ideal situations (Cavill's version even stands up for a woman who was being sexually harassed and Welling repeatedly showed that he cared about doing the right thing even when he also noticed it tended to cost him a lot). Chris Sims even went as far as calling Smallville Clark the true villain of the show.

There is a large or at least very vocal segment of the Superman fandom that does hate it when he struggles at all or expresses anything resembling a flaw. Just look at the comments about how he was "nerfed" in the DCAU or post crisis. Or look at how YJ Superman was viewed by fans because of his initial discomfort around Superboy. Johnson in that very tweet stated he prefers Superman to be flawless or as close to it as possible though he's nowhere near as obnoxious about it as those other fans can get.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-14-2021 at 12:42 AM.

I'm more offended that he likes Clark in Kingdom Come than whatever he said about MoS.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    People complained viciously about Welling's Superman as well. I've followed discussion of Smallville for years and a lot of it is very similar to the complaints about the DCEU version. Both Welling and Cavill were "true blue heroes" they just weren't in very ideal situations (Cavill's version even stands up for a woman who was being sexually harassed and Welling repeatedly showed that he cared about doing the right thing even when he also noticed it tended to cost him a lot). Chris Sims even went as far as calling Smallville Clark the true villain of the show.

There is a large or at least very vocal segment of the Superman fandom that does hate it when he struggles at all or expresses anything resembling a flaw. Just look at the comments about how he was "nerfed" in the DCAU or post crisis. Or look at how YJ Superman was viewed by fans because of his initial discomfort around Superboy. Johnson in that very tweet stated he prefers Superman to be flawless or as close to it as possible though he's nowhere near as obnoxious about it as those other fans can get.
    The point is, the reason why people didn't like MoS Superman isn't because he 'struggled' or wasn't powerful enough (although I imagine there are people like that) but due to the tone and execution of the themes and how Zack chose to depict characters. If anybody was watching MoS for power levels, they definitely wouldn't be disappointed given that the movie is best depiction of how two super powered characters can total an entirely city with fists and laser vision.

I was part of the SV fandom too. We could barely get a real Doomsday fight. SV's problem was largely due to how they kept dragging out Clark's journey for 10 seasons, the inconsistency in how they depict his powers, kryptonite being every where and the soap opera aspects of the show. Not at all the same problems as DCEU Superman. My point is that even though Welling's Clark was under powered, that didn't stop people from being hyped when he came back and some of those same people were the ones complaining when the show was coming out.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

The Batman screened last night (minor spoilers):

spoilers:
    "It seems word is out that THE BATMAN screened again. I’ve spent some time tracking down info from the last screening a few weeks ago and have confirmed details with someone who saw it last night. It’s a nearly three hour long detective story. Full blown noir film.

Story starts on Halloween and runs for about a week. Batman keeps a journal which is read to the audience in voiceover. Most of Pattinson’s dialogue is spoken this way and he wears the suit for the majority of his screentime. He’s just Batman with little interest in being Bruce

The Riddler is sort of a Jigsaw figure. As an example, a character is locked in an explosive collar and has to solve three riddles in order to get the combination.

Most importantly, everyone I know who’s seen it has really liked it. I heard it got a great response last night with a lot of suits in the room to witness it.

Selina is friends with a missing woman tied to Riddler’s 1st victim. Her primary goal is to find her friend but she has deeper connections to the mob storyline.

Penguin runs the Iceberg Lounge and is Falcone’s right-hand man. I’ve heard Farrell is, and I quote, “delightful”.
    end of spoilers

Source: https://twitter.com/ViewerAnon/statu...94033492758533
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 10-14-2021 at 07:37 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    He seems to have not expressed his opinion clearly previously. At this point in time, I think it's clear that Man of Steel was a decent film, only warped in perception because people didn't want to see Superman struggle and instead just view him as an invulnerable protective dad.

Which is fine as the character was co-created by a teenager who just lost his real-life dad and needed that reassuring and powerful male figure in his life. Man of Steel wasn't really interested in THAT though.
    This is still a gross oversimplification of the issues people have with DCEU Supes. Not everyone who criticizes is saying they want him to be perfect and not struggle.

it's the defenders of the film who are quick to downplay any flaws the other versions have.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    This is still a gross oversimplification of the issues people have with DCEU Supes. Not everyone who criticizes is saying they want him to be perfect and not struggle.

it's the defenders of the film who are quick to downplay any flaws the other versions have.
    Oversimplification seems to be an issue in general when it comes to discussing DCEU Superman, whether from his defenders or detractors. Downplaying Superman's flaws or even saying he shouldn't have any (see again Johnson's tweet) is pretty common among the ones who don't like the DCEU version while you will see plenty who do like that version site precedent for what Snyder did.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Oversimplification seems to be an issue in general when it comes to discussing DCEU Superman, whether from his defenders or detractors. Downplaying Superman's flaws or even saying he shouldn't have any (see again Johnson's tweet) is pretty common among the ones who don't like the DCEU version while you will see plenty who do like that version site precedent for what Snyder did.
    Johnson says he'd write a Superman in an origin story with relatable flaws. It isn't where Clark is in his life where Johnson is writing him now and he may not execute it in the way MOS did, but he didn't say Clark never has any flaws anywhere in his life.

IDK, the DCEU defenders say any detractors just want a "boring, perfect Silver Age Superman", pretty much revealing they've never read that era of the character. Siting precedent for Snyder's decisions doesn't mean much either when taken on its own. It doesn't automatically lead to things being executed in a different story/medium well.