Page 929 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 4298298799199259269279289299309319329339399791029 ... LastLast
Results 13,921 to 13,935 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Yeah. Why exactly does Snyder's vision mean the New Gods can't be made?
    WB was probably scared that people would get confused about Darkseid in Ava’s movie and Darkseid in the SC not lining up and people getting confused. But they also will have at least two Batmen running around post Flash, multiple Supermen, and all other kinds of Multiversial bs so their attitude doesn’t seem consistent.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Eh they probably lied to her because they didn't actually realize just HOW EXPENSIVE a New Gods movie would be when they greenlit it. Look at how cheap their features starring women characters are, from Birds of Prey to Batgirl. Even the first Wonder Woman was way below the average superhero blockbuster budget.
    The Suicide Squad definitely doesn't look cheap. I think it also broke records for the massive sets they constructed for it. Neither Aquaman nor Shazam look like they're on a tv budget either.

Even if budget was an issue, why not just do Scott and Barda hiding out on earth, living in sub urban domestic bliss before they're found by Granny Goodness and the Female Furies?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    WB was probably scared that people would get confused about Darkseid in Ava’s movie and Darkseid in the SC not lining up and people getting confused. But they also will have at least two Batmen running around post Flash, multiple Supermen, and all other kinds of Multiversial bs so their attitude doesn’t seem consistent.
    Or renewed calls for restoring the SnyderCut. Can you imagine if they did a version of Darkseid that was clearly different from Snyder?

I think it's more of an issue of them not understanding the properties they have.

AT&T has apparently told WB to be tighter with the budget, so it’s not possible they got cold feet at the prospect of a minor return given the niche status of the property.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The Suicide Squad definitely doesn't look cheap. I think it also broke records for the massive sets they constructed for it. Neither Aquaman nor Shazam look like they're on a tv budget either.

Even if budget was an issue, why not just do Scott and Barda hiding out on earth, living in sub urban domestic bliss before they're found by Granny Goodness and the Female Furies?
    The Suicide Squad was a sequel. Also the reason I didn't include WW84.

DuVernay and King were going all out exploring both Apokolips AND New Genesis if the hints they were dropping were anything to go by. Your idea of basing the majority of the action on Earth sounds too much like Dolph Lundgren's He-Man movie that might have led to a backlash during marketing.

Also, Darkseid was barely present in the Snyder Cut. I don't see how any interpretation could have been incredibly different unless they planned to portray him like this but in grey:

I still think it was a combo of budget and the execs bailing after realizing how dense the Fourth World mythology really is. It's like Dune meets Mad Max meets Clash of the Titans. I can see suits getting cold feet.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 10-30-2021 at 11:20 AM.

Yeah, I don't think there was enough Darkseid in the Snyder cut that it would've mattered if they used him in something else unless they wanted to change his design.

What's likely is that it was a project the current people in charge weren't interested in pursuing any longer. Walter Hamada had a lot of inherited projects in some stage of pre-production made before the big shakeup that occurred after Justice League bombed, and given that New Gods was announced a very short time after he signed on, it was probably yet another movie that's genesis (no pun intended) began before he was hired. In fact I'm pretty sure that was the official response when the cancellation was announced. It being blamed on the Snyder Cut doesn't really make sense since the studio has stated several times now that they don't plan on making any sequels to it, so it's not like there'd be two dueling depictions of Darkseid out at the same time.

The budget stuff also probably factored into it. One of the key reasons Hamada was hired was to cut down the spending that had gotten out of control during the previous regime (Batman v Superman cost 250 million and the reshoots pushed Justice League into 300 million). Since he primarily worked on low budget horror movies prior to this, he was seen as someone who could get projects done on a tighter dime.

Man, that sucks.

Given that Marvel is currently in a tight spot with Eternals, a New Gods movie could have potentially stolen the show since the NG are far more accessible characters than the Eternals.

If the point was to get away from the Snyder stuff then why not give us a new version of Darkseid or Steppenwolf? We already have 3 Batmen running around. Or better yet, just side step and not have Darkseid and Steppenwolf be the main villains of the first movie and then build up some of the side characters first.

Anyway, forget it. Everybody knows that WB is a poor custodian of DC characters.
    If the Eternals is as big of a disaster as some critics are making it out to be, I think it would decrease the chance of WB taking a risk with the New Gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    If the Eternals is as big of a disaster as some critics are making it out to be, I think it would decrease the chance of WB taking a risk with the New Gods.
    TBF Eternals is bargain basement Justice League with a basic ass angels and demons theme. New Gods is Dante's Inferno by way of Mad Max (the Apokolips side) AND Masters of the Universe by way of Dune (the New Genesis side). In short, it's *chef's kiss*. Incredible but also incredibly complex.

The funny thing is I'm pretty sure Eternals was only greenlit because New Gods was in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    TBF Eternals is bargain basement Justice League with a basic ass angels and demons theme. New Gods is Dante's Inferno by way of Mad Max (the Apokolips side) AND Masters of the Universe by way of Dune (the New Genesis side). In short, it's *chef's kiss*. Incredible but also incredibly complex.

The funny thing is I'm pretty sure Eternals was only greenlit because New Gods was in the works.
    All the DC movie comparisons I'm hearing makes this even more hilarious .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    All the DC movie comparisons I'm hearing makes this even more hilarious .
    Two minor spoilers (one of which has already been shown in a promo)
    spoilers:
    Apparently they refer to Ikarus as "Superman" and one of the other dudes as "Batman" in the film. It's like Feige got super cheeky thinking he'd get reviews saying 'Eternals is a better Justice League film than Justice League' but that seems to have spectacularly backfired on him.

...also yes, I know Kevin Feige doesn't WRITE the films but the fact that he even let those mentions stay in the final film
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 10-31-2021 at 01:02 PM.

At least Marvel can follow through with announced projects. The New Gods movie only exists in our imagination.

Marvel has rolled out 22 movies, meanwhile DC can't give us a follow up to MoS and we can't get more than one Justice League movie. Only 4 movies in and DC is already talking about rebooting their Superman and Batman. Yet, I'm supposed to believe that Fiege was so spooked by the announcement of a New Gods movie that he hastily green lit an Eternals movie? Nah, Marvel miscalculated for once and after 22 movies, odds are some of them are going to duds. Also, technically the movie hasn't 'bombed' yet nor is it getting 'trashed' by critics. We'll know for sure in the coming the weeks.

The Superman references with Ikaris makes me believe that this is them testing the waters for Sentry and Hyperion since Marvel Comics loves their evil Supermen too.

At least Marvel can follow through with announced projects. The New Gods movie only exists in our imagination.

Marvel has rolled out 22 movies, meanwhile DC can't give us a follow up to MoS and we can't get more than one Justice League movie. Only 4 movies in and DC is already talking about rebooting their Superman and Batman. Yet, I'm supposed to believe that Fiege was so spooked by the announcement of a New Gods movie that he hastily green lit an Eternals movie? Nah, Marvel miscalculated for once and after 22 movies, odds are some of them are going to duds. Also, technically the movie hasn't 'bombed' yet nor is it getting 'trashed' by critics. We'll know for sure in the coming the weeks.

The Superman references with Ikaris makes me believe that this is them testing the waters for Sentry and Hyperion since Marvel Comics loves their evil Supermen too.
    Well, maybe if DC could get more stability critical reception and box office-wise they wouldn't need to keep shooting themselves in the foot. But unfortunately we're not at that point yet.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Yeah, it's sitting at a 60% right now, which isn't great but is still just average.

I wouldn't really be interested in this movie regardless, but if it stays there or goes down, I can't imagine it will cause a big dent in the Marvel brand.

And yeah, I'm doubtful Fiege gave much thought to JL (either cut) when producing Eternals.

Eternals is just a Hulk/Thor 2 misfire but it’s not a major one. They had Shang-Chi come out a little while ago and more people are excited for Spider-Man anyway. Eternals being a dud just means they’ll probably focus on their F4/X-Men reboots coming up. It’s not the same as BvS and SS tanking.

Yet, I'm supposed to believe that Fiege was so spooked by the announcement of a New Gods movie that he hastily green lit an Eternals movie?
    Well, there's precedent for his behavior like announcing Captain Marvel close on the heels of the Wonder Woman movie announcement, greenlighting Civil War when BvS was announced and now exploring the Multiverse after the success of Into the Spider-Verse.