Page 930 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 4308308809209269279289299309319329339349409801030 ... LastLast
Results 13,936 to 13,950 of 20948
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Well, there's precedent for his behavior like announcing Captain Marvel close on the heels of the Wonder Woman movie announcement, greenlighting Civil War when BvS was announced and now exploring the Multiverse after the success of Into the Spider-Verse.
    Is there any proof that he did these things in reaction to the announcements of those films, or is it just speculation?

Because WW and BvS (at least before it came out and people witnessed it lol) would be believable things he'd want to compete with, especially at the time, but by the time New Gods was announced I can't imagine DC/WB was establishing any trends he'd want to rush to compete with anymore. Even their successes are too sporadic.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 11-01-2021 at 04:33 PM.

In the case of Captain Marvel, I believe there is email evidence of Disney activity turning down female led superhero movies due to them being “unsuccessful” until Wonder Woman made bank and then they green lit it. So I think that actually wasn’t Fiege or Marvel trying to catch a trend and instead being blocked by a sexist Disney executive.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Well, there's precedent for his behavior like announcing Captain Marvel close on the heels of the Wonder Woman movie announcement, greenlighting Civil War when BvS was announced and now exploring the Multiverse after the success of Into the Spider-Verse.
    Feige has openly admitted he wished he'd gotten Captain Marvel out before Wonder Woman. The Russos noted that Civil War happened because WB announced BvS. Now Marvel is pushing villains to the forefront and playing with the multiverse after DC took the first steps.
    So, I'm not surprised by the notion that Feige is reacting to some DC announcements. When I read that Sersi/Ikaris would drive the plot in Eternals, I suddenly remembered that Duvernay had previously said something similar about Scott and Barda. Feige wants to beat DC to the cultural zeitgeist almost as much as he wants some of their Oscar, film festival, and Emmy gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Feige has openly admitted he wished he'd gotten Captain Marvel out before Wonder Woman. The Russos noted that Civil War happened because WB announced BvS. Now Marvel is pushing villains to the forefront and playing with the multiverse after DC took the first steps.
    So, I'm not surprised by the notion that Feige is reacting to some DC announcements. When I read that Sersi/Ikaris would drive the plot in Eternals, I suddenly remembered that Duvernay had previously said something similar about Scott and Barda. Feige wants to beat DC to the cultural zeitgeist almost as much as he wants some of their Oscar, film festival, and Emmy gold.
    Which villains? You mean Loki? (Marvel killed, like, every other villain)

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    He's not even an in-universe villain anymore. He's barely capable even as a hero .

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    To an extent, yeah I see this. They're even doing the multiverse heavy after that was a big part of DC media for the last few years and getting the multiverse stuff to the big screen before WB was able to with Flash. I think they def see what WB is planning and occaisionally tinker their plans to match it. IMO that's fine, competition should breeds better quality from both companies

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He's not even an in-universe villain anymore. He's barely capable even as a hero .
    "You either die a villain, or you live long enough to see yourself become an anti-hero."

"You either die a villain, or you live long enough to see yourself become an anti-hero."
    "And as an anti-hero, they will constantly forget how powerful you're supposed to be for the sake of the plot ."

"And as an anti-hero, they will constantly forget how powerful you're supposed to be for the sake of the plot ."
    "And if you get a sequel, you'll have to suffer the same superhero sequel trend of loosing your powers as part of the plot." XD

They have a Thunderbolts project in the works. So Marvel’s Suicide Squad will soon add to their villains movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    They have a Thunderbolts project in the works. So Marvel’s Suicide Squad will soon add to their villains movement.
    Is that why the purple haired lady is going around grabbing "dark counterparts" of Avengers like Captain America and Black Widow? That makes more sense now.

Is that why the purple haired lady is going around grabbing "dark counterparts" of Avengers like Captain America and Black Widow? That makes more sense now.
    You mean the Contessa ?

You mean the Contessa ?
    Yeah! The one from Seinfeld!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Thunderbolts isn't quite the same, though. Wasn't Suicide Squad originally a mix of villains and heroes? Whereas T-Bolts was villains uniting of their own will to pretend to be heroes.

Thunderbolts started as a bunch of D-list villains led by Baron Zemo pretending to be heroes so they could earn public trust and take over the world.
    But the D-listers realized they actually liked being heroes, so they turned good and became the sort-of outlaw hero team.

Then they became essentially Marvel's Suicide Squad with a team of villains sent on missions by the government with Songbird as the one genuine hero stuck with them.

What the MCU seems to be doing, however, looks more like the Dark Avengers, when Norman Osborn was put in charge of SHIELD and made his own Avengers consisting of bad guys taking the heroes' roles...except with Contessa instead of Norman acting as the "dark" Nick Fury assembling the team. They'll probably wind up calling them Thunderbolts if/when it becomes a movie.

I wonder if they'll include Songbird, seeing as she became pretty much the face of the Thunderbolts in the comics. I always hoped if she ever made it to the MCU they'd keep her arc from D-list henchwoman to genuine hero and leader.

But that's a question for the Marvel forums.