Page 937 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 4378378879279339349359369379389399409419479871037 ... LastLast
Results 14,041 to 14,055 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    appeals to me far more than any of the Wonder Girls, a part from Yara Flor, she’s interesting!
    Why is Yara more interesting than Cassie or Troy? I get how in the comics Yara has all this potential but for live screen they all are starting on a clean slate. With Batman they always begin with Dick so if the same formula is used then Troy would be the Wonder Girl to appear.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Angel View Post
    Why is Yara more interesting than Cassie or Troy? I get how in the comics Yara has all this potential but for live screen they all are starting on a clean slate. With Batman they always start with Dick so if the same formula is used then Troy would be the Wonder Girl to appear.
    Donna has too much baggage in the comics, but that's not remotely a problem for a movie Donna who would be a blank slate.

They could somehow establish that she was an orphaned girl who ended up on the island in the between years since Diana left and Hippolyta adopted her. Bam, done.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Diana was really bad in that show, but I think Hawkman may take the cake for worst treatment. Man, who did he piss off on the production staff?
    Gave his soulmate to another character and then turned him into a creepy stalker. You can't get much lower than that. Bruce Timm is an interesting fellow.

Astonishing Member

Donna has too much baggage in the comics, but that's not remotely a problem for a movie Donna who would be a blank slate.

They could somehow establish that she was an orphaned girl who ended up on the island in the between years since Diana left and Hippolyta adopted her. Bam, done.
    I could see them skipping Donna because I don't think WB wants to A. Give people hope we're getting a DCEU Titans and B. Make Diana a mentor figure. Doesn't help that Donna's white, so it's not like she can ride the diversity wave we're seeing right now in superhero films (unless they racebend). If they try to expand the role of the Amazons I suspect they'll go the Nubia and Artemis route in a parallel to the MCU's The Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I could see them skipping Donna because I don't think WB wants to A. Give people hope we're getting a DCEU Titans and B. Make Diana a mentor figure. Doesn't help that Donna's white, so it's not like she can ride the diversity wave we're seeing right now in superhero films (unless they racebend). If they try to expand the role of the Amazons I suspect they'll go the Nubia and Artemis route in a parallel to the MCU's The Marvels.
    Considering the shared location all the Amazons are in, I feel like they could have Donna along with Artemis and Nubia fairly easily even if she's white. Plus ideally others like Philippus and maybe a race bent Mala. They unfortunately already killed Euboea (ugh).

Due to the likely cast of characters and plot we will be seeing in this, and carrying over things from the last films, I think main focus should be narrowed down to four leads: Diana, Hippolyta, Circe and Cheetah. Which unfortunately means the major focus will be on four white women which admittedly isn't great lol. But even if they would be secondary characters, it'd be very easy to have some important "face" characters among the Amazons that were participating in whatever epic final battle they have. If directed and acted properly, their distinct personalities could be established very quickly and they could be given many moments to shine in fight scenes. And of course, they should be set up or spin-off potential.

Extraordinary Member

Diana saving a girl from a fire and bringing her home, seems really easy and leaves simple Amazon sequel bait for the future, she doesnt have to be a large part of the movie. That's a 15 minute opening scene

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Diana saving a girl from a fire and bringing her home, seems really easy and leaves simple Amazon sequel bait for the future, she doesnt have to be a large part of the movie. That's a 15 minute opening scene
    Yeah, that would actually be a cool way to give a nod to Donna. Maybe at the end of the film while Diana has gained re-entry to Themyscira and she continues her adventures in our world as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I honestly don't get the point of people always trying to make it more legit-sounding by using words such as "inclusion" and "diversity" when it's so transparent what they are actually saying. We're fans, not politicians. lol
    It's relevant in the context of discussing who could/will be showing up in these films and in what capacity because, as much as I disagree with the specifics of Gato's argument, they're essentially correct about that likely factoring into future productions. If/when the Green Lantern reboot movie ever happens I guarantee it's not gonna be another attempt at a Hal Jordan solo film partially because of that and partially because of John's notoriety, for instance. And of course we got the JL movie using the New 52's attempt at pushing Cyborg into a member of the Big 7 as well.

The Wonder Woman 3 argument is odd though. If Hawkgirl shows up that's great, but the continued bashing of Wonder Woman's own supporting cast is unnecessary. I recall someone doing the same thing about Batgirl a few years back, claiming Hawkgirl is more popular and deserving of a movie than here. Thankfully WB disagreed lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I recall someone doing the same thing about Batgirl a few years back, claiming Hawkgirl is more popular and deserving of a movie than here. Thankfully WB disagreed lol.
    Yes, Hawkgirl is defiantly not more popular (because she is a gender swap of a significantly less relevant character) but I would have preferred to see a movie about her because so many have taken place in the dark city known as Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    It's relevant in the context of discussing who could/will be showing up in these films and in what capacity because, as much as I disagree with the specifics of Gato's argument, they're essentially correct about that likely factoring into future productions. If/when the Green Lantern reboot movie ever happens I guarantee it's not gonna be another attempt at a Hal Jordan solo film partially because of that and partially because of John's notoriety, for instance. And of course we got the JL movie using the New 52's attempt at pushing Cyborg into a member of the Big 7 as well.

The Wonder Woman 3 argument is odd though. If Hawkgirl shows up that's great, but the continued bashing of Wonder Woman's own supporting cast is unnecessary. I recall someone doing the same thing about Batgirl a few years back, claiming Hawkgirl is more popular and deserving of a movie than here. Thankfully WB disagreed lol.
    Yeah, although just being the star of a popular cartoon also doesn't guarantee John cinematic success but the diversity factor probably helps more.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Lmao hate on that cartoon all you want! A generation still grew up with it and an entire generation still holds that as the definitive JL! It’s also one of the most watched things on HBO Max, not bad for some “cartoon”. You’re only saying Nubia is more attention grabbing because you’re a comic book Wonder Woman fan!
    Nubia- Nubia Real One is currently a top 50 seller on Amazon for young adults, It's top 100 for teens. Top 20 on Kindle. Hawkgirl NEVER did that.
    Nubia who almost starred on Wonder Woman show if they had NOT move to another network. She did have a doll at the time.

It is NOT her fault attempts to expand WW kept getting derailed.

In no reality is Artemis or Nubia more attention grabbing or popular than Hawkgirl! Just look at the buzz on social media that was created when Alicia Vikander and Eiza Gonzalez were rumored for those roles… Nubia who? Artemis who?

Characters that DC forgot about in the 70’s and 90’s or one that’s been in outside media constantly… kind of a no brainer!
    Oh REALLLLLLY You know that comment can be applied to the following.....

Squirrel Girl. The young lady who boasts a New York Time best seller and a 50 issue solo run. Not bad for someone with created in the 90s with only 2 appearances before 2004.

Rocket Raccoon. Rocket Raccoon had 10 appearances in 31 years. He will be in 6 movies.

And finally lets bring up someone you mentioned that you want to see in movies.

STATIC. Static the low seller at Milestone. Who got a tv show that was a HIT.
    Who did that without Superman, Batman & Justice League popping up in season 1 or constantly.
    When announced for Young Justice-I saw kids (some who were NOT born when his show was on) doing the dances and celebrating.

Nubia has already done more than Hawkgirl. She did not have to take WW's book or Ted Kord's name to do it.

I think putting John on the team was a good call and worked out
    I sometimes wonder if it was a good call. Sure, it worked out great for John, but it did create another split in GL fandom and I wonder if long term that doesn't out weight any positives related to John's higher profile.

Popular shows create awareness with the general audience which is obviously the only audience these companies care about. That's why Iris West is a black woman in the DCEU because they're concerned that people who have no knowledge of these characters beyond what they've seen on the CW shows would think Iris is whitewashed if she resembled her comic counterpart.

With characters like Green Lantern it can be more tricky since it's a more high-profile IP but at the same time it's always been a legacy mantle and it's not like the argument about who should be the coveted "main" GL originated from the DCAU. The Green Lantern fandom will never get along no matter what and these companies could not care less, they just look at these characters and think about which one could prove to be more bankable for them, they don't care about their importance to the DCU or who was an original founding Justice League member or anything of sorts. When you think about it, it's kind of shitty how the fate of most of these characters is solely dependent on whether they fit the corporate interests of the companies that own them but that's always been the case and always to be expected. If the outside media products they're featured in end up being successful, they'll be in a good place going forward, if not they'll eventually get kicked to the curb and GL who's never been about just one guy anyway is always easy to replace in that sense.
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-09-2021 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I sometimes wonder if it was a good call.
    It was a much better call for John than the live action movie was for Hal. The existence of the 2011 film would have done a number on the public perception of the GL IP no matter who featured in the 90's animated series. At least now they have a popular backup with John.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Nubia actually would be more attention grabbing if they went with her original origin and made her Diana’s twin sister.
    Or generally being thought of as the black Wonder Woman. News outlets would be more interested in that concept than a character from a 90's/early 00's animated show.