Page 938 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 4388388889289349359369379389399409419429489881038 ... LastLast
Results 14,056 to 14,070 of 20948
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I sometimes wonder if it was a good call. Sure, it worked out great for John, but it did create another split in GL fandom and I wonder if long term that doesn't out weight any positives related to John's higher profile.
    I think it's an overall situation that has a lot of positive and negatives. I think raising his profile and giving black kids a cool main character they could see themselves in standing shoulder to shoulder with Superman and Batman is more important than Hal fans being annoyed that he isn't always the main guy. Even though yes, I am in that group myself.

Really as far as other media is concerned, the 2011 film failure making Hal toxic for live action films is some serious bullshit. But John would be a big asset in that area that they should be using anyway. GL is a property with a built in reason to have two leads, so while John should be featured so should Hal and it wouldn't feel forced.

In an ideal world where DC/WB had their **** together for a shared cinematic universe, I'd have the GL film be a buddy cop film starring Hal and John, with maybe a bit more focus on the former if Sinestro is involved. Then Hal appears in the first JL as a founding member while John is the solo human lead of GL2. and have them swtich places as it goes along: John in JL2, Hal in GL3 and maybe making a guest appearance in a Flash movie, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Angel View Post
    Why is Yara more interesting than Cassie or Troy? I get how in the comics Yara has all this potential but for live screen they all are starting on a clean slate. With Batman they always begin with Dick so if the same formula is used then Troy would be the Wonder Girl to appear.
    Coz Filmation didn't have the exclusive rights to Dick, locking him up for decades on end. That deal messed up Donna's chance to feature in the Teen Titans animated series and kept her from being a known entity in larger pop culture like Dick. Now she's pretty much on the same footing as Yara and Cassie. Yara is the most appealing option for WB because they want to cater to Latin regions like Brazil where superheroes including Wonder Woman are very popular.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 11-09-2021 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Really as far as other media is concerned, the 2011 film failure making Hal toxic for live action films is some serious bullshit.
    Um okay, care to tell that to Ryan Reynolds then who has actively been milking Hal/GL's toxic perception for a decade now, with Deadpool 2 end credits being the biggest example? Frankly, Hal would be more interesting now if Reynolds revamped the character himself to play him in the DC movies. A new actor would have to fight to get out of Reynolds' impression. With Deadpool now entering the MCU, I don't think Reynolds has the time for Hal though, seeing as how he couldn't even appear in a cameo for the Snyder cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Um okay, care to tell that to Ryan Reynolds then who has actively been milking Hal/GL's toxic perception for a decade now, with Deadpool 2 end credits being the biggest example? Frankly, Hal would be more interesting now if Reynolds revamped the character himself to play him in the DC movies. A new actor would have to fight to get out of Reynolds' impression. With Deadpool now entering the MCU, I don't think Reynolds has the time for Hal, seeing as how he couldn't even appear in a cameo for the Snyder cut.
    Nah the last thing we need is Reynolds, he was a bad casting to begin with and his milking of the situation just makes this worse.

He needs to shut the **** up and stick with Deadpool.

I think it's an overall situation that has a lot of positive and negatives. I think raising his profile and giving black kids a cool main character they could see themselves in standing shoulder to shoulder with Superman and Batman is more important than Hal fans being annoyed that he isn't always the main guy. Even though yes, I am in that group myself.

Really as far as other media is concerned, the 2011 film failure making Hal toxic for live action films is some serious bullshit. But John would be a big asset in that area that they should be using anyway. GL is a property with a built in reason to have two leads, so while John should be featured so should Hal and it wouldn't feel forced.

In an ideal world where DC/WB had their **** together for a shared cinematic universe, I'd have the GL film be a buddy cop film starring Hal and John, with maybe a bit more focus on the former if Sinestro is involved. Then Hal appears in the first JL as a founding member while John is the solo human lead of GL2. and have them swtich places as it goes along: John in JL2, Hal in GL3 and maybe making a guest appearance in a Flash movie, etc.
    In an ideal world the GL film would've done well and actually built up a proper DC Cinematic Universe. Or Snyder and MoS didn't end up being as contentious as they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    In an ideal world the GL film would've done well and actually built up a proper DC Cinematic Universe. Or Snyder and MoS didn't end up being as contentious as they did.
    If GL hadn’t flopped then the DCEU would have actually followed the trajectory of the MCU where you have a lesser known character who achieves great success (Iron Man/GL) followed by a disappointment with one of the A-Listers (Hulk/Superman). There was never any chance of Snyder not making a mess of Superman given his tastes as a director, but he probably would’ve been dropped after MoS and the DCEU would be in a better place.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Nubia- Nubia Real One is currently a top 50 seller on Amazon for young adults, It's top 100 for teens. Top 20 on Kindle. Hawkgirl NEVER did that.
    Nubia who almost starred on Wonder Woman show if they had NOT move to another network. She did have a doll at the time.

It is NOT her fault attempts to expand WW kept getting derailed.

Oh REALLLLLLY You know that comment can be applied to the following.....

Squirrel Girl. The young lady who boasts a New York Time best seller and a 50 issue solo run. Not bad for someone with created in the 90s with only 2 appearances before 2004.

Rocket Raccoon. Rocket Raccoon had 10 appearances in 31 years. He will be in 6 movies.

And finally lets bring up someone you mentioned that you want to see in movies.

STATIC. Static the low seller at Milestone. Who got a tv show that was a HIT.
    Who did that without Superman, Batman & Justice League popping up in season 1 or constantly.
    When announced for Young Justice-I saw kids (some who were NOT born when his show was on) doing the dances and celebrating.

Nubia has already done more than Hawkgirl. She did not have to take WW's book or Ted Kord's name to do it.
    Nubia literally has Wonder Woman’s name and symbol plus imagery. Let’s not try and claim that she’s an OG creation, like Vixen, Bumblebee or Rocket are.

Also Ted stole the name from Dan first btw, and Jaime has nothing in common with Kord beyond the name.

In what way has Nubia done more than Hawkgirl? Was she playable in Injustice? Has she been in almost every mobile DC game like Hawkgirl? Did she get merchandise from Bombshells and Superhero Girls like Hawkgirl did? Ha she been in love action like Hawkgirl?

Nubia and Artemis can go lead the Amazon’s movie on HBO while Diana teams with Kara, Shayera and other DC women (Mary, Darla, Mera, Black Canary). That’s a good hook WW3, and it’ll need that thanks to the second film being garbage, making Diana a rapist, what was Patty thinking!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

I'd rather we get an all DC Hero movie than hijack a WW solo film for that.

Unless they adapt that Phil Jiminez story where all the DC Female Heroes go up against all the DC Female Villains. I'm not sure that would work in movie form though.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Nubia and Artemis can go lead the Amazon’s movie on HBO while Diana teams with Kara, Shayera and other DC women (Mary, Darla, Mera, Black Canary). That’s a good hook WW3, and it’ll need that thanks to the second film being garbage, making Diana a rapist, what was Patty thinking!
    So Patty's decisions in the second film lead to it being bad, but you think forcing her to add all these unrelated heroines into a narrative will be an automatic win.

Fat load of good the hook will do if she can't make it work. The second film was already considered too unfocused with just four characters, unrelated guest stars would just make it even more chaotic.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Lot of effort just to say: "I don't care about Wonder Woman or anything about her, but I will watch a half-assed team-up movie that she happens to be a small part of."

Which...fine. You don't care about Wonder Woman, you don't have to. Let the fans who do want to see a proper Wonder Woman sequel and not some lame "mini-Justice League" have their movie.

By the way, the failure of Birds of Prey at the box office is proof these forced team-ups don't bring in audiences. That was supposed to be a Harley Quinn movie, but Margot Robbie wanted more female characters, so they picked the Birds and Cassandra Cain out of a hat and crowbarred them into the movie.

And, shock of shocks, it didn't work. The movie bombed.
    Harley fans didn't know or care who the Birds were. And I won't speak for all Birds of Prey fans, but as someone who likes Huntress and Cassie, I didn't go see it because I can't stand Harley Quinn and have no interest seeing them as her glorified side-kicks.

So no, piling random characters that have nothing to do with each other doesn't excite "general audiences."
    Throwing in Hawkgirl and Supergirl--who have absolutely nothing to do with Wonder Woman and have no established dynamic with her--won't generate any more excitement than introducing Nubia, who's basically "Black Wonder Woman," which absolutely would garner attention, or Artemis, who does have a fun dynamic with her.

EDIT:
    For what it's worth though, taking that scene from Avengers: Endgame where all the female characters conveniently gather around Captain Marvel even though almost none of them knew who the hell she was for a big 'girl power' screenshot and making an entire movie out of it with their lady cast would be something Warner Bros would do.
    Last edited by Guy_McNichts; 11-09-2021 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    And, shock of shocks, it didn't work. The movie bombed.
    Harley fans didn't know or care who the Birds were. And I won't speak for all Birds of Prey fans, but as someone who likes Huntress and Cassie, I didn't go see it because I can't stand Harley Quinn and have no interest seeing them as her glorified side-kicks.
    Did you see it eventually?

Because as a representation of the BOP property it is bad, but as a Harley lead ensemble movie that happens to have some BOP characters in it it's really good. Canary and Huntress are very well done for the movie as it is I felt, though the depiction of Cass still misses the mark completely. Including Renee, I thought 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

Still agree with your point that it's an indicator that this "Female Expendables-type team lead by Wonder Woman" wouldn't be an automatic draw though. Wonder Woman and Supergirl have more star power than Huntress and Canary, but even so Jenkins has already been criticized as not being entirely suited for doing action scenes for a character of Diana's level. I don't see adding Supergirl to the equation helping that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd rather we get an all DC Hero movie than hijack a WW solo film for that.

Unless they adapt that Phil Jiminez story where all the DC Female Heroes go up against all the DC Female Villains. I'm not sure that would work in movie form though.
    Amusing also we're playing to DCAU nostalgia to make a supposedly WW movie. The same DCAU where it' biggest lasting legacy on Diana was making her a cheerleader for Bruce Timm's self-insert.

Maybe the Black Adam movie will make Hawkman a fascist ex-boyfriend or Batman date college-aged girls like the DCAU if that's the model we should follow.

Did you see it eventually?

Because as a representation of the BOP property it is bad, but as a Harley lead ensemble movie that happens to have some BOP characters in it it's really good. Canary and Huntress are very well done for the movie as it is I felt, though the depiction of Cass still misses the mark completely. Including Renee, I thought 3 out of 4 ain't bad.
    I did finally watch it when it came on HBO. I wasn't expecting much because, despite the title, I knew Harley was the star.

Huntress was easily the best part. I thought she was great. Problem was she only in it for ten minutes tops. I liked Black Canary and Montoya. They were fine. What they did with Cassie was inexcusable. I found the character obnoxious as she was, but that this was what they turned Cassandra freakin' Cain into made an annoying character infuriating.

The actual Birds of Prey were fine, but I still didn't care much for the movie overall. I like Margot Robbie, and I appreciate she clearly loves playing the character & is having a good time, but...I can't stand Harley. Insufferable character. Thus far, of her three movies, James Gunn's Suicide Squad is the least annoying she's been. But I tend to mentally check out when she's on screen.

I wouldn't call the movie bad. It strikes me as unfair to bad-mouth the Harley Quinn movie for being about Harley Quinn. But even though I like the Birds and thought they came across well--though Cassie was awful--it wasn't enough to make me enjoy the film. Still, I liked it more than the first Suicide Squad or any of Snyder's movies.
    Last edited by Guy_McNichts; 11-09-2021 at 05:19 PM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I think Birds of Prey was quite bad on its own merits irrespective of accuracy to the comics. The teamup doesn't even happen until the third act, and there's barely anything to tie the characters together or make them likeable. Black mask was barely developed, the tone was uneven. Just not a very good movie IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I think Birds of Prey was quite bad on its own merits irrespective of accuracy to the comics. The teamup doesn't even happen until the third act, and there's barely anything to tie the characters together or make them likeable. Black mask was barely developed, the tone was uneven. Just not a very good movie IMO.
    Unfortunately yes. Wasn't even close to the magic the comic could capture.
    Last edited by Fire Angel; 11-09-2021 at 06:03 PM.