Page 951 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 45185190194194794894995095195295395495596110011051 ... LastLast
Results 14,251 to 14,265 of 20948
    Mighty Member

Cool, that's great news.

Cool. I mean, I was hoping to watch it on HBOMax but this might give it bigger buzz...

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

It definitely deserves a big picture release. Good news.

Man after watching No Way Home, I don't know Flash can even come close to being as satisfying when it comes to multiverse. Basically a love letter to Spider-Man in film compared to... a love letter to Batman in a Flash movie? The comparisons will be there when Flash releases so might as well rip the band aid off and discuss it now

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Man after watching No Way Home, I don't know Flash can even come close to being as satisfying when it comes to multiverse. Basically a love letter to Spider-Man in film compared to... a love letter to Batman in a Flash movie? The comparisons will be there when Flash releases so might as well rip the band aid off and discuss it now
    Well, if it's similar in the respect of course correcting the lead character into being more of what fans actually expect, that might be a silver lining.

But I'm not really expecting that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, if it's similar in the respect of course correcting the lead character into being more of what fans actually expect, that might be a silver lining.

But I'm not really expecting that.
    I don't think multiverse stuff really is responsible for any course correcting and I honestly think this was honestly always the plan the way the whole MCU story up to now feels like one long reinterpreted origin story now.

Also, fans don't really have any expectation of Flash. He basically had an appearance in JL and could easily be soft rebooted any way they possibly wanted. This feels more like them trying to reboot the DCEU and using Flash's solo film as a sacrificial lamb. Hell, maybe I'm wrong and Ezra Flash will become the definitive live action version of the character the way I believe Tom became in NWH but it's not really the same since the multiverse is used differently. In NWH, it was using the history of Spider-Man cinema to teach Tom a lesson about what it means to be Spider-Man. What lesson is Barry getting from the multiverse? That there are a lot of Batmans out there? Seriously, I don't get it.

I think the movie could still be good if it's thrilling and wrote well but I can't deny that it feels so random and haphazard to rush into a multiverse movie that doesn't have much meaning to the character (seriously it's his first movie, are we really starting with Flashpoint?) compared to the MCU that took their sweet time building up to multiverse shenanigans
    Last edited by The Kid; 12-17-2021 at 08:38 AM.

I think it all boils down to WB once again trying to hop on the MCU bandwagon without putting in the work. Feels very BvS-like to me since BvS tried to force a shared universe on the audience without building it up first and here since their prior attempts to compete failed, they're going for the Multiverse concept too but without taking their time to build it up again. This is why they keep failing, they want instant gratification, they want to hop on the Marvel money train with another half-assed attempt when it doesn't work like that. There's a reason it took years for the MCU to turn into the juggernaut it is today. The ultimate irony being that a lot of those concepts(alternate realities, all powerful alien war lord, etc) originated from DC, but the people in charge of their movie division have no idea how to build that universe coherently so they keep observing the competition and trying to replicate their success in attempt to make easy money, and instead of being actual competition they come off as second-rate competition instead.

I will always love the DCU no matter what, but WB has overall done a disgraceful job in trying to adapt it to screen. I still hope for The Flash and I think Black Adam will be fun, but the DCU deserves so much better than this.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-19-2021 at 10:17 AM.

I don't think multiverse stuff really is responsible for any course correcting and I honestly think this was honestly always the plan the way the whole MCU story up to now feels like one long reinterpreted origin story now.

Also, fans don't really have any expectation of Flash. He basically had an appearance in JL and could easily be soft rebooted any way they possibly wanted. This feels more like them trying to reboot the DCEU and using Flash's solo film as a sacrificial lamb. Hell, maybe I'm wrong and Ezra Flash will become the definitive live action version of the character the way I believe Tom became in NWH but it's not really the same since the multiverse is used differently. In NWH, it was using the history of Spider-Man cinema to teach Tom a lesson about what it means to be Spider-Man. What lesson is Barry getting from the multiverse? That there are a lot of Batmans out there? Seriously, I don't get it.

I think the movie could still be good if it's thrilling and wrote well but I can't deny that it feels so random and haphazard to rush into a multiverse movie that doesn't have much meaning to the character (seriously it's his first movie, are we really starting with Flashpoint?) compared to the MCU that took their sweet time building up to multiverse shenanigans
    I'm not sure if it Holland getting a 3-year origin story was the plan the whole time (anymore than Stephen Amell getting a 3-season Green Arrow origin story) but it certainly wasn't what people were expecting so maybe Flash's solo will surprise people as well.

Plus NWH basically sets up Holland to be the “classic” Spidey going forward. Goal there is to make the character be more aligned with the comics after the whole “Iron Boy” take previously. Flash is the exact opposite, it’s going to get rid of the “classic” Batman and Superman so WB can have Old Man Bruce cameo in Batgirl and have Supergirl replace Superman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not sure if it Holland getting a 3-year origin story was the plan the whole time (anymore than Stephen Amell getting a 3-season Green Arrow origin story) but it certainly wasn't what people were expecting so maybe Flash's solo will surprise people as well.
    It was not, he was supposed to fight Kraven in SM3.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Tbh, the Multiverse stuff likely has way less to do with chasing Marvel than it does the fact that the rollout of the initial DCEU movies was fraught with so many problems that it’s led to a weird situation. In a world where Aquaman and Wonder Woman were as poorly received as Batman v Superman and Justice League, I honestly think WB would’ve just said fuck it and done a complete reboot of the series. But audiences actually liked those two, so the studio now had to contend with the weirdness of its Batman being gone (I’m betting Affleck only returned for Flash as a sendoff given recent comments) and another, completely unrelated series of Batman films and tie-in TV shows running alongside stuff from the initial DCEU.

Had the earlier DC films been better received and resultantly Affleck and Cavill were still concretely involved with the franchise, I have no doubt the Multiverse stuff wouldn’t be the route they’re going.

Whilst I'm not the biggest fan of Snyder's take on the DCEU, I don't see the point in rebooting or resetting the universe. If Cavill wants dump trucks full of cash to play Superman again then do so. Put a different director on the MoS2 and just continue the story. If Affleck cannot play Batman anymore due to the mess of his personal life then just recast the role. Just say Pattinson is playing a younger version of Affleck's Batman. Also there have been Justice League rosters that didn't include Superman and Batman. So why not do just that? I would love to see a Justice League lead by Aquaman and Wonder Woman.

Hmm, how're you coming on that shared universe?

Got a big stack of movies and shows?

You've been on that for 6 years.

Got a... got a...compelling series of movies and shows that exist in one universe? Hmm?

Got a....got a...nice little solo movie that makes people like each character individually? Hmm?

Y'know before they all come together for the big cross over event?

Got an overarching story that connects all your movies and shows together? Hmmm

A nice little narrative with a beginning, middle and ending. Hmm? Some enemies that become friends and friends that become enemies? Yeah? And everybody is richer for having gone through it? Hmm?

No, no you deserve some time off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie-9Z5aN4Og

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Hmm, how're you coming on that shared universe?

Got a big stack of movies and shows?

You've been on that for 6 years.

Got a... got a...compelling series of movies and shows that exist in one universe? Hmm?

Got a....got a...nice little solo movie that makes people like each character individually? Hmm?

Y'know before they all come together for the big cross over event?

Got an overarching story that connects all your movies and shows together? Hmmm

A nice little narrative with a beginning, middle and ending. Hmm? Some enemies that become friends and friends that become enemies? Yeah? And everybody is richer for having gone through it? Hmm?

No, no you deserve some time off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie-9Z5aN4Og
    Don't think DC needs to lean on that. They've shown that single takes outside of the DCEU can be just as popular, i.e. Joker.
    And besides Spider-man, there isn't a CBM that has more heat behind it than The Batman, also outside the DCEU.
    Interestingly, when the MCU tries to do this, it doesn't work out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Whilst I'm not the biggest fan of Snyder's take on the DCEU, I don't see the point in rebooting or resetting the universe. If Cavill wants dump trucks full of cash to play Superman again then do so. Put a different director on the MoS2 and just continue the story. If Affleck cannot play Batman anymore due to the mess of his personal life then just recast the role. Just say Pattinson is playing a younger version of Affleck's Batman. Also there have been Justice League rosters that didn't include Superman and Batman. So why not do just that? I would love to see a Justice League lead by Aquaman and Wonder Woman.
    The ship’s already sailed on Battinson being a younger Batfleck since there are camera phones in the trailer. Reeves seemingly did not want to be tied down by the stuff established in BVS.

Extraordinary Member

Update on dceu films

DC Extended Universe

Future films

Black Adam
    July 29, 2022
    Post-production

The Flash
    November 4, 2022
    Post-production

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom
    December 16, 2022
    Post-production

Batgirl
    Filming
    In March 2017, Joss Whedon was hired to write, direct and produce a film centered around Batgirl. Whedon was to begin production on the film in 2018, but stepped down in February.In April, after impressing Warner Bros. with her work on Birds of Prey, Christina Hodson was hired as screenwriter for Batgirl. By November 2019, Hodson was expected to write the script once she had completed work on The Flash. In May 2021, Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah were announced as the film's co-directors, with Kristin Burr serving as producer. In July, Leslie Grace was cast as Barbara Gordon / Batgirl; she was chosen from a short-list of actresses that included Isabela Merced, Zoey Deutch and Haley Lu Richardson.In October, J. K. Simmons was confirmed to be reprising his role as Comissioner James Gordon, Jacob Scipio joined the cast in an undisclosed role, and Brendan Fraser was cast as Firefly.Principal photography began in Glasgow on November 30, 2021.The film is scheduled to be released sometime in 2022 on HBO Max.

Shazam! Fury of the Gods
    June 2, 2023
    Post-production

Blue Beetle
    August 18, 2023
    Pre-production
    In November 2018, a film centered around the Jaime Reyes incarnation of Blue Beetle was in development, with a script written by Gareth Dunnet-Alcocer. By February 2021, Angel Manuel Soto signed on as director, and Xolo Maridueña was officially cast as the titular character in August. Principal photography is expected to begin in early 2022. Initially developed as an HBO Max exclusive film, Blue Beetle was later changed to a theatrical release, scheduled for August 18, 2023.