Page 954 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 45485490494495095195295395495595695795896410041054 ... LastLast
Results 14,296 to 14,310 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I'd rather care about the director, writer and others who actually have an intimate role in the creation of the film. DC films doesn't need a Kevin Feige. Also, normies don't know who the heck Kevin Feige is, he's just a figure the die hard community latched onto as comic book Elon Musk.
    Well, I wouldn't go that far as Feige actually does play a huge part in crafting his final products unlike Musk who is technology Bob Kane, but even more useless.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning63 View Post
    Can we get rid of Ezra Miller while we're at it?
    God I hope so, he was so horribly miscast.

Can we get a Barry Allen that is not a mix of Barry, Wally, & Bart.

I feel like peeps forget that Barry was NEVER the funny one

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Between Spider-Man No Way Home taking advantage of the Multiverse so well and Hawkeye making CW's Arrow look like the bargain basement Dark Knight knock-off it remained stuck as, Marvel Studios continues to make DC Films look like RC Cola.

And I say this as a DCU Uber-Fan.
    Seems pretty unfair to compare a CW show to an MCU one and NWH is the 1st superhero movie to use the multiverse concept as far as I know so we don't know if Flash or any other DC movie could do it as well until it comes out.

I really hate how a Marvel movie doing well brings out the pessimistic DC sucks, Marvel is perfect attitude in DC fans.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Seems pretty unfair to compare a CW show to an MCU one and NWH is the 1st superhero movie to use the multiverse concept as far as I know so we don't know if Flash or any other DC movie could do it as well until it comes out.

I really hate how a Marvel movie doing well brings out the pessimistic DC sucks, Marvel is perfect attitude in DC fans.
    Audiences don't care about what's fair or not. They care about the movies and TV that are being delivered to them. DC delivered audiences Arrow. Marvel delivered Hawkeye. DC delivered Batman vs Superman. Marvel delivered Captain America Civil War.

Yes, Disney has more money than God, and Warner Bros. was kneecapped by AT&T. But the average person doesn't care about any of the corporate or financial wrangling that's been going on behind the scenes. They care about being entertained. And, on that front, DC has been getting curb-stomped repeatedly over and over and over again.

And it's very frustrating.

And Spiderverse was a straight up Multiverse film.

When has DC ever been able to compete with Marvel? Like anywhere? Genuinely asking… because as far I can remember DC has always been a distant 2nd in every medium, with the exception of animation. Think DC fans just need to admit that DC can’t compete with Marvel and just enjoy the quality DC content.

PS: WB can’t compete with Disney either btw, no studio can.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    When has DC ever been able to compete with Marvel? Like anywhere? Genuinely asking… because as far I can remember DC has always been a distant 2nd in every medium, with the exception of animation. Think DC fans just need to admit that DC can’t compete with Marvel and just enjoy the quality DC content.

It’s not even DC

The film industry really is in trouble since the only film people will
    Show out for us a big budget roller coaster of a superhero flick. Nostalgia and branding is vital, and truly new ideas are going to struggle.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Between Spider-Man No Way Home taking advantage of the Multiverse so well and Hawkeye making CW's Arrow look like the bargain basement Dark Knight knock-off it remained stuck as, Marvel Studios continues to make DC Films look like RC Cola.

And I say this as a DCU Uber-Fan.
    Lmao that is a gross exaggeration. The writing around that whole thing was incredibly weak and didn't even make sense and the film didn't even bother to explain it properly before moving on.

Just because it was the first film to dabble in the multiverse doesn't mean they did it well. DC can absolutely outshine NWH when it comes to the multiverse concept.

Also are you really comparing a limited streaming series with a movie budget to a network tv series that had to run for seasons?
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

When has DC ever been able to compete with Marvel? Like anywhere? Genuinely askingÂ… because as far I can remember DC has always been a distant 2nd in every medium, with the exception of animation. Think DC fans just need to admit that DC canÂ’t compete with Marvel and just enjoy the quality DC content.

PS: WB canÂ’t compete with Disney either btw, no studio can.
    It's only very recently that it's starting to feel like DC's being left behind in the dust.

The competition used to be much closer, on the comic side if one side got ahead, the other side usually had an answer for it. COIE/Secret Wars, Infinity Gauntlet/Cosmic Odyssey, House of M/Disassembled, New 52/All New All Different, etc. Also DC had their Vertigo titles and I can't recall Marvel ever pumping out books on the same level of quality as O'Neill's Question, Ostrander's Spectre, Robinson's Starman, Gaiman's Sandman, Goyer/Johns/Robinson's JSA, Perez's WW reboot or Morrison/Waid/Kelly JLA. Those days are long gone though.

'89 Batman was a pop culture phenomenon. Batman: TAS, Superman: TAS, Batman Beyond, Justice League Unlimited and Static Shock were way better and stood the test of time better than any cartoon show Marvel every put out in the 90's and the early 00's. Before the MCU came along, the DCAU existed and it was exciting to grow up seeing the animation improve from show to show, getting A-list talent to voice characters, the excitement of seeing all the different DC characters on JLU and not knowing which hero was going to be the focus of the episode and much of the writing still holds up today. Yes, it wasn't perfect but it was the best we got at the time.

Even after Marvel released Blade, X-Men and Spider-Man, DC seemed to crush the competition when TDK made a billion. The real problem is that during the 00's they never bothered investing in anybody but Superman and Batman.

I actually think their problems go back further than AT&T, there was another company that WB merged with around the early 00's that resulted in the CW's creation. Although that's just speculation based on internet chatter I've heard.

The 2009 WW animated movie did well but it didn't 'sell fast enough' for WB/DC's liking so they decided that NO female character will be the lead. They even scrubbed Supergirl off the DVD cover and main title of 2010's 'Superman/Batman: Apocalypse' since it was basically a stealth Supergirl movie. The animated GL movie didn't do well enough for their liking either but they gave it a quasi sequel and then after 2011 Ryan Reynolds GL movie bombed they didn't bother again. Instead they just focused on pumping out endless amount Superman, Batman and Justice League movies and not building up their roster. Due to that every other character just languished over time. It didn't help that the comic side was micromanaging and retconning the hell out of the universe with endless Crisis events until the universe was left in a barely recognizable state.

YJ came out at a time when CN was actively phasing out action shows so they can make way for more kiddie stuff, the shows toyline being tied to the terrible 2011 GL movie didn't help. Ultimately the show wasn't selling toys as much to WB's liking so they kept delaying and moving it's time slot and it was cancelled. The show seemed to have found a new life on HBO Max but who knows for how long.

Once the Avengers proved to be a success, everybody rushed to make their own cinematic universe. I'm not a Snyder fan but even I know it was unfair for WB to only give him SupvsBatman and Justice League and somehow expect him to achieve Avengers level success. Look how well WW and Aquaman movies did and these are characters that WB/DC didn't even believe in.

At the end of the day, DC/WB has no one to blame but themselves for falling behind. They are doing well on the tv side (Smallvile, Arrow, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, Black Lightning, Superman & Lois, Naomi) but it's not as huge a success as the MCU is though.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Lmao that is a gross exaggeration. The writing around that whole thing was incredibly weak and didn't even make sense and the film didn't even bother to explain it properly before moving on.

Just because it was the first film to dabble in the multiverse doesn't mean they did it well. DC can absolutely outshine NWH when it comes to the multiverse concept.

Also are you really comparing a limited streaming series with a movie budget to a network tv series that had to run for seasons?
    Yes. Again, it's not about fair. It's about what is being delivered to audiences. And Marvel is doing almost everything that's great about the DCU better than they are currently.

Now, when Marvel's TV offerings were limited to the dreary slogs that were the Netflix shows, the dull Agents of SHIELD and Runaways, I much prefered the wiz-bang energy CW shows were delivering, but that was years ago.

This isn't to say that DC is incapable of putting out good stuff. I enjoy Superman & Lois and Doom Patrol, and I've got high hopes for Peacemaker.

Titans, on the other hand, is so shockingly bad that I continue to be surprised by its continued existence.

Eh I don't think it was this much of a cultural blowout until the last decade. Before 2000, Marvel basically only had Blade but since then had X-Men and Spider-Man movies to match with Batman and Superman but the MCU has taken them to another level

Fwiw I agree with what people are saying. Marvel is continuing to lap around DC on the big screen. I don't see anyway Flash compares to NWH when it comes to delivering a good story with a nostalgic crowd pleasing appeal. Maybe I'm missing the zeitgeist but I don't think Keaton's Batman has the same hype or appeal that Raimi's film has. And this is just the first multiverse MCU movie. Doctor Strange is coming in a couple months to really establish it

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning63 View Post
    Can we get rid of Ezra Miller while we're at it?
    Can he take the costume with him?

Astonishing Member

Both Marvel and DC started out in the late 1930's. DC was far more successful for decades.

Comics: DC dominated from the 30s-50s. Marvel gained in the 60s and took the lead in the 70s for sales. DC had bumps in the Post Crisis era, Death of Superman, and beginning of New 52. It wasn't until New 52 cooled that DC began to truly fall behind in the publishing sales

TV: DC had TV shows based on Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman in the 50s-70s. There were various DC series through the 80s-00s. And now they have the CW shows and HBO Max shows. Marvel had some shows in the 80s with Bixby/Ferrigno Hulk being the most successful. It wasn't until the '10s that Marvel live action TV series began to compete.

Animation: DC has dominated this for decades. While Marvel has had successes like X-Men: The Animated Series, at the same time DC had Batman: The Animated Series which which had better production values, better critical response, and led to the DCAU. We'll see if the Disney + shows can let Marvel compete with DC on this front.

Movies: DC had the Christopher Reeve Superman in the 70s/80s and Batman movies in the 80s/90s. DC dominated up to 2008 with The Dark Knight by Nolan. Marvel had Blade and the early X-Men movies, but it wasn't until the Raimi Spider-Man movies that Marvel had a success comparable to DC. Once the MCU started, Marvel began their domination.

Video Games: DC has dominated this area for years, with the Arkham Asylum games being the high point. Marvel has also had games, but never had the critical/commercial success until the recent Spider-Man games by Insomniac.

It's really been in the last 10 years that Marvel began to truly dominate the pop culture over DC. The rise of the MCU movies, plus the acquisition by Disney seems to the biggest drivers on this.

They had Marvel beat in animation, and they beat Marvel to the punch with movies and TV shows. The Arkham games revolutionized superhero games. Unfortunately they took far too long to capitalize on any of their victories and were mainly content to just fall back on Batman again and again rather than branch out. Now they’re stuck with a dumpsterfire mess of a cinematic universe and Marvel has them lapped everywhere. Their upcoming plans are bizarre and unlikely to result in the huge success that Marvel is seeing.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They had Marvel beat in animation, and they beat Marvel to the punch with movies and TV shows. The Arkham games revolutionized superhero games. Unfortunately they took far too long to capitalize on any of their victories and were mainly content to just fall back on Batman again and again rather than branch out. Now they’re stuck with a dumpsterfire mess of a cinematic universe and Marvel has them lapped everywhere. Their upcoming plans are bizarre and unlikely to result in the huge success that Marvel is seeing.
    Well, we've been complaining about DC and video games and we're finally getting a Wonder Woman game so people's complaints about Marvel delivering more on the video game front (aside from Avengers) might not be true in the long run.

And, like, What If being well-received doesn't automatically make for a win on an animation front. I don't think What If even holds up as well as some of the best Marvel cartoons, let alone DC's.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, we've been complaining about DC and video games and we're finally getting a Wonder Woman game so people's complaints about Marvel delivering more on the video game front (aside from Avengers) might not be true in the long run.

And, like, What If being well-received doesn't automatically make for a win on an animation front. I don't think What If even holds up as well as some of the best Marvel cartoons, let alone DC's.
    Yeah I think they still have an edge animation wise especially with the Batman and Superman shows coming up. WW getting a game is an encouraging sign, but Marvel did already achieve a success besides Spider-Man with Guardians. I’d say video games wise they’re fairly evenly matched. Films though? I look at the future lineup and I don’t see a single film that could possibly equal Endgame or NWH, nor do what we know about their future plans makes me think they ever will. We’re likely getting a JL movie with a lineup of:

Wonder Woman
    Supergirl
    Batgirl
    Flash
    Aquaman
    Shazam
    And maybe Black Adam?

That’s such a huge divergence from what people expect from JL that I don’t think it’s going to perform well, assuming of course they can even get Gal back for it.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/