Page 956 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 45685690694695295395495595695795895996096610061056 ... LastLast
Results 14,326 to 14,340 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Lmao that is a gross exaggeration. The writing around that whole thing was incredibly weak and didn't even make sense and the film didn't even bother to explain it properly before moving on.

Just because it was the first film to dabble in the multiverse doesn't mean they did it well. DC can absolutely outshine NWH when it comes to the multiverse concept.

Also are you really comparing a limited streaming series with a movie budget to a network tv series that had to run for seasons?
    No to mention NWH is breaking records first and foremost because of the nostalgia with the Raimi and Webb characters being in it. Take them out and is it doing the crazy numbers it is now? I HIGHLY doubt it would. People are using NWH's success as a sign that DC could NEVER do similar numbers when no one thought a solo Spider-Man movie could ever do these numbers either just a month ago.

For perspective in 2019 Spider-Man: Far From Home made over $1.1b worldwide with $741m of it coming from outside North America. Joker that same year made $1.07b worldwide and $738m overseas. That's despite everyone swearing Spider-Man is by far the most popular comic book character in the world especially outside the US. A dark, R rated, supervillain movie with no big action set pieces, no higher priced 3D tickets and no Chinese release only made under $100m less globally and only $3m less overseas than the previous Spider-Man movie with the MCU branding.

If DC were so bad at making movies people liked a non traditional CBM like Joker wouldn't have sold more tickets than Spider-Man in the same year. It's laughable how people think a future Batman movie couldn't possibly do NWH numbers when it clearly could.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    If DC were so bad at making movies people liked a non traditional CBM like Joker wouldn't have sold more tickets than Spider-Man in the same year. It's laughable how people think a future Batman movie couldn't possibly do NWH numbers when it clearly could.
    Difference is Sony is firing on all cylinders with the Spider-Verse characters, whereas WB is too afraid to even touch Dick Grayson after Batman and Robin. But I'm sure the Batfamily alone have potential to rival the Avengers by themselves if tapped into properly.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Don't really care about dcu anymore.All i need is the black adam,coates superman(if it's a proper goldenage superman) and aquaman franchise.Maybe the batman would peak my interest if it's great.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

No to mention NWH is breaking records first and foremost because of the nostalgia with the Raimi and Webb characters being in it. Take them out and is it doing the crazy numbers it is now? I HIGHLY doubt it would. People are using NWH's success as a sign that DC could NEVER do similar numbers when no one thought a solo Spider-Man movie could ever do these numbers either just a month ago.

For perspective in 2019 Spider-Man: Far From Home made over $1.1b worldwide with $741m of it coming from outside North America. Joker that same year made $1.07b worldwide and $738m overseas. That's despite everyone swearing Spider-Man is by far the most popular comic book character in the world especially outside the US. A dark, R rated, supervillain movie with no big action set pieces, no higher priced 3D tickets and no Chinese release only made under $100m less globally and only $3m less overseas than the previous Spider-Man movie with the MCU branding.

IMO Joker just became a cultural phenomenon like many MCU movies. I expect it to gross more than even The Batman movie coming out in a few months

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

No other superhero has made more money in real dollars than Batman in the Nolan trilogy did. Critically, they're at the top, too. That's not even talking about the highly acclaimed and popular Burtonverse movies, also. Now that doesn't mean he will stay at the top forever, but I wouldn't bet against him.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    IMO Joker just became a cultural phenomenon like many MCU movies. I expect it to gross more than even The Batman movie coming out in a few months
    I'm not sure about that, but I certainly won't be surprised if it nets more money.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    No other superhero has made more money in real dollars than Batman in the Nolan trilogy did. Critically, they're at the top, too. That's not even talking about the highly acclaimed and popular Burtonverse movies, also. Now that doesn't mean he will stay at the top forever, but I wouldn't bet against him.
    Nolan's Batman was indeed liked by audiences. We'll see the appeal Reeve's Batman has. Snyder's Batman was in a movie with Superman and still got outgrossed by plenty of superheroes like Wonder Woman and Aquaman. That said, I do expect NWH to blow past every previous solo superhero domestically and internationally and it won't be particularly close either
    t

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Nolan's Batman was indeed liked by audiences. We'll see the appeal Reeve's Batman has. Snyder's Batman was in a movie with Superman and still got outgrossed by plenty of superheroes like Wonder Woman and Aquaman.
    Only if you don't factor in inflation, which you usually don't, IIRC.

That said, I do expect NWH to blow past every previous solo superhero domestically and internationally and it won't be particularly close either
    t
    That might be true using unadjusted numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Only if you don't factor in inflation, which you usually don't, IIRC.

That might be true using unadjusted numbers.
    Inflation? BvS came out a year and two years before WW and Aquaman respectively. No inflation is causing it's box office numbers to be lower than those lol. That's not how inflation works

Nah, NWH minimum domestic box office projections around 720 million with a range of possibly going up to 900 million. Adjusted for inflation, The Dark Knight did around 670 million domestically and way less than that internationally.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    It's only very recently that it's starting to feel like DC's being left behind in the dust.

I can't recall Marvel ever pumping out books on the same level of quality as O'Neill's Question, Ostrander's Spectre, Robinson's Starman, Gaiman's Sandman, Goyer/Johns/Robinson's JSA, Perez's WW reboot or Morrison/Waid/Kelly JLA. Those days are long gone though.
    Yep, that's my overall stance on the whole Marvel vs. DC thing.

Marvel has better plateaus and higher peaks (Dark Pheonix Saga, Infinity Gauntlet, Born Again, Kraven's Last Hunt), but their work can be insanely inconsistent, but people eat it up regardless.

DC doesn't have output that's nearly as high, but I find their overall output is way more consistent. For example, Jonah Hex and Doom Patrol is just overall better written than the Punisher, Wolverine stuff....but more people will read the latter no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Yep, that's my overall stance on the whole Marvel vs. DC thing.

Marvel has better plateaus and higher peaks (Dark Pheonix Saga, Infinity Gauntlet, Born Again, Kraven's Last Hunt), but their work can be insanely inconsistent, but people eat it up regardless.

DC doesn't have output that's nearly as high, but I find their overall output is way more consistent. For example, Jonah Hex and Doom Patrol is just overall better written than the Punisher, Wolverine stuff....but more people will read the latter no matter what.
    DC has tons of famous, iconic, storylines though...many of which have been adapted in animated movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Difference is Sony is firing on all cylinders with the Spider-Verse characters,
    Are they though? Venom 2 was garbage, Morbius doesn't look much better, and now they're talking about a freakin Electro movie starring Jamie Foxx.
    Sony, learned all the wrong lessons.

Sometimes the execution in other media can be better than what's on the printed page.
    We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    DC has tons of famous, iconic, storylines though...many of which have been adapted in animated movies.
    It's mostly just Batman, Elseworlds or Justice League stuff.

Once in a while you'll get something like Blackest Night, which I didn't even like that much....so it's whatever to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    It's mostly just Batman, Elseworlds or Justice League stuff.

Once in a while you'll get something like Blackest Night, which I didn't even like that much....so it's whatever to me.
    I think Elseworlds should count, but there's Sinestro Corps. War, Hiketeia, Death/Reign, Flashpoint (or Johns' entire Flash run), Thrones of Atlantis (which is as much an Aquaman event as it is a Justice League event), etc.