Page 965 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 46586591595596196296396496596696796896997510151065 ... LastLast
Results 14,461 to 14,475 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Thephantasm View Post
    It's wild to me that so many people here aren't interested in the batman. It looks like it was actually made with love and care, the cinematography is sublime (leagues above other superhero movies), matt reeves seems to give a **** and it seems reverent of the mythos that inspired it, unlike whatever the fk the flash and batgirl have become.

If only rob was beefier, it could have easily been the most modern-era comics accurate batman to date.
    It feels as much Batman as the Nolan trilogy did : it's basically a standard Noir-actioner-thriller flick with Batman's dresses. Add to that more boring Catwoman romance we've already seen and what is it exactly offering we haven't already seen in other movies ?

Sure, technically speaking it seems leagues ahead of the MCU and most of the DCEU movies (I'd argue Snyder's stylized touch was its equal). But so what ? Does it make it special in any way ? Not really.

Why couldn't this movie be about, I don't know, Freeze or Clayface or another of those larger than life vilains which helps make Batman iconic? You CAN have a very tragic movie with both of them if that's what Reeves wanted; you could even end it eithr on a sad note or a happier one if Batman somehow manages to help his villain in the end - now that would be something new. Or if you uses Riddler, why not adapt Zero Year, but toning down the Mad-Max, post apocaliptic stuff a little ?

Plus, I'm sorry, but Battinson stll doesn't look as impressive or interesting as Batlfeck was. And I'm not talking about the costume. I'm meaning that when I see him outside and in the cape, I see neither a convincing Bruce, nor a convincing Batman, when Affleck's was perfect.

Make no mistake, I'll go see it in theatres (I went to see No Way home despite my misgivings and enjoyed it a lot - even if it benefited greatly from Nostalia - I just cant pass up The Batman now). But so far, the movie hasn't grabbed my attention like Flashpoint, Shazam 2, Aquaman 2 and Black Adam (in spite of the very dumb idea of introducing the JSA which will **** up the whole timeline of the DCEU and gobble up screen time Adam would need more than those characters a very little demographic cares about).

I just don't see it breaking a billion by the sher virtue of it being Batman with a competent director.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Alpha's logic is being backed up by their gut feeling, not any facts or evidence. I've used facts such as the overwhelmingly positive reception the trailer has gotten, in both the comments and reaction videos. I've also pointed out how other major blockbusters have been accused of doing the same thing as previous entries in their franchises yet have made money in spite of that.

What's the difference between Batman and Spider-Man, Star Wars or Jurassic World? If the general consensus among people who have watched The Batman trailer is "this looks really good" that bodes well for it's hopes of $1b.

You act like the trailers have gotten a meh response when it's been the exact opposite.
    Jurassic World 2 brought less than the first - it still broke the billion because it's freaking Jurassic Park and as that sweet Nostalgia going for it, even if it has become a standard action movie series by now.

Spiderman also banked heavily on Nostalgia an dit paid off - I doubted youngsters who never saw the previous trilogies are behind it's success. And also, it's from the MCU. Both are tremendous boosters for it.

Finally, Star Wars. The Franchise in cinematic universe. The One which started it all, really. It lost more than 300 millions dollars between Star Wars 8 and 9 in box office and, again, broke the billion because of force of habit, Disney attracting peoples and it being FREAKING Star Wars. And even THEN it has killed all the other movies which were supposed to follow suit. We were meant to eat one Star Wars a year for the foreseeable future, between our generous fill of MCU movies. Where are those? Dead in the water because Disney knows the brand isn't in shape for peoples to go in drove watch those, like Solo proved.

Rightly or wrongly (for me it's the latter) the DCEU got a very bad image from the get go, and unlike a movie like the Joker, who had an extremely powerful social message (which almost seemed to have escaped its creators from the way they advertized it) it has no Nostalgia to make it up : it's not tied to the Burtonverse. It's not tied to the Nolan-verse. It's not even tied to the DCEU ! It's doing its own thing in its corner saying "I'm not one of THOSE superheroes movies! i'm all serious and dark and brooding, rawr!"

Perhaps it'll prove me wrong and reach a billion, and I'd be glad.

But I don't buy it, because it isn't shaping up to be better than good.
    Last edited by Korath; 12-27-2021 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    It feels as much Batman as the Nolan trilogy did : it's basically a standard Noir-actioner-thriller flick with Batman's dresses. Add to that more boring Catwoman romance we've already seen and what is it exactly offering we haven't already seen in other movies ?

Sure, technically speaking it seems leagues ahead of the MCU and most of the DCEU movies (I'd argue Snyder's stylized touch was its equal). But so what ? Does it make it special in any way ? Not really.

Why couldn't this movie be about, I don't know, Freeze or Clayface or another of those larger than life vilains which helps make Batman iconic? You CAN have a very tragic movie with both of them if that's what Reeves wanted; you could even end it eithr on a sad note or a happier one if Batman somehow manages to help his villain in the end - now that would be something new. Or if you uses Riddler, why not adapt Zero Year, but toning down the Mad-Max, post apocaliptic stuff a little ?

Plus, I'm sorry, but Battinson stll doesn't look as impressive or interesting as Batlfeck was. And I'm not talking about the costume. I'm meaning that when I see him outside and in the cape, I see neither a convincing Bruce, nor a convincing Batman, when Affleck's was perfect.

Make no mistake, I'll go see it in theatres (I went to see No Way home despite my misgivings and enjoyed it a lot - even if it benefited greatly from Nostalia - I just cant pass up The Batman now). But so far, the movie hasn't grabbed my attention like Flashpoint, Shazam 2, Aquaman 2 and Black Adam (in spite of the very dumb idea of introducing the JSA which will **** up the whole timeline of the DCEU and gobble up screen time Adam would need more than those characters a very little demographic cares about).

I just don't see it breaking a billion by the sher virtue of it being Batman with a competent director.

Jurassic World 2 brought less than the first - it still broke the billion because it's freaking Jurassic Park and as that sweet Nostalgia going for it, even if it has become a standard action movie series by now.

Spiderman also banked heavily on Nostalgia an dit paid off - I doubted youngsters who never saw the previous trilogies are behind it's success. And also, it's from the MCU. Both are tremendous boosters for it.

Finally, Star Wars. The Franchise in cinematic universe. The One which started it all, really. It lost more than 300 millions dollars between Star Wars 8 and 9 in box office and, again, broke the billion because of force of habit, Disney attracting peoples and it being FREAKING Star Wars. And even THEN it has killed all the other movies which were supposed to follow suit. We were meant to eat one Star Wars a year for the foreseeable future, between our generous fill of MCU movies. Where are those? Dead in the water because Disney knows the brand isn't in shape for peoples to go in drove watch those, like Solo proved.

Rightly or wrongly (for me it's the latter) the DCEU got a very bad image from the get go, and unlike a movie like the Joker, who had an extremely powerful social message (which almost seemed to have escaped its creators from the way they advertized it) it has no Nostalgia to make it up : it's not tied to the Burtonverse. It's not tied to the Nolan-verse. It's not even tied to the DCEU ! It's doing its own thing in its corner saying "I'm not one of THOSE superheroes movies! i'm all serious and dark and brooding, rawr!"

Perhaps it'll prove me wrong and reach a billion, and I'd be glad.

But I don't buy it, because it isn't shaping up to be better than good.
    So you have no proof of any casual fans feeling this way, awesome. So far none of the posters saying this is the same old Batman movie have provided any evidence of fans feeling that way. Guys, it's ok to admit YOU personally feel that way and are letting it blind your "unbiased" view of the movie. You say "it's freaking Jurassic Park" As if Batman isn't a way bigger franchise, it's also the 1st solo Batman movie in a decade that will also help things.

"It isn't shaping up to be better than good" what gives you that thought? And was Aquaman even a good movie? Didn't stop it from being huge at the box office. If a bang average Aquaman movie can do $1.1b a merely good Batman movie can't do $1b because why exactly? Because you personally don't think it can?

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    So you have no proof of any casual fans feeling this way, awesome. So far none of the posters saying this is the same old Batman movie have provided any evidence of fans feeling that way. Guys, it's ok to admit YOU personally feel that way and are letting it blind your "unbiased" view of the movie. You say "it's freaking Jurassic Park" As if Batman isn't a way bigger franchise, it's also the 1st solo Batman movie in a decade that will also help things.

"It isn't shaping up to be better than good" what gives you that thought? And was Aquaman even a good movie? Didn't stop it from being huge at the box office. If a bang average Aquaman movie can do $1.1b a merely good Batman movie can't do $1b because why exactly? Because you personally don't think it can?
    Because Aquaman was bombastic, larger than life and had engaging characters - both protagonists and antagonists. They weren't the deepest (eh) sure, but it worked because it was what was the zeitgeist of the time. I'm not even sure Aquaman 2 will manage the same success honestly.

Finally, I fail to see how "some smucks on YT comments'" are an argument. i'm pretty sure if you found out the MoS or BvS youtube trailer and looked at the comments at the time of reelase, you'd mostly see positive reviews.

And i'd argue that, yes, in movie terms, Jurassic Parc is a larger franchise than Batman. Bat's has obviously a far larger overreach in general pop-culture, but JP's dinos are up here with Star Wars in term of cinematic iconography.

Also, I love how you've entirely sidestepped my whole arguments about your examples all being bad.

Ps : if anybody nows how to compare how fast two videos on YT got views, i'd love to compared the BvS and The Batman trailer, just to see if there is indeed more hype or less about the latter.
    Last edited by Korath; 12-27-2021 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post

The change in cinematography may be a small change for you but it really is a big difference to me. And I think it's unfair to say that it feels as much as batman as nolan did. Gotham city already looks more mystical than what was seen in Nolan's trilogy. The vibes I'm getting from this, feels straight out of year one and time sale's batman.

But I'm optimistic about Reeve's writing quality. That's one of the biggest things. Unlike the other upcoming dceu films, this feels like it's shaping up to be much more than another jokey popcorn flick.

Now I hope no one quotes me again because I understand the opposing view that we've seen batman's story many times. Perhaps as hardcore fans some of us, (like me actually, for comics at least) are sick to death of batman stories. And in my opinion, it really doesn't matter what villains are used, the same criticisms can be raised. Because the story revolves around the same character, with the same values (when done right), the same origins, the same relationships. You can change a few of these things but the basic tenets are the same. It's what makes batman, batman.

I think your excitement for this movie really hinges on how ready you are to be told more batman stories again. and for me this really feels like a special love letter. The world, how reeves is leaning into the world's greatest detective aspect.

Again, I hope no one quotes me because IMO this discussion is quite mundane. Let's just enjoy what we enjoy and be happy. As for the people who are invested in the box office performance, why don't you guys just wait and see?

but ps: idk how anyone can be excited for Christina hodson's butched up version of flashpoint which messes up one of the most legendary and tragic stories in comics. And introduces random ocs and makes 70 year old batman, main batman.

BANNED

Batman is the most popular character in DC, yes.
    Batman is a guaranteed success in the cinema, no.
    the reality is that half of the batman movies have been a success, but the other half have not been anything special, you could even say that failures.
    In this century we have the great Batman trilogy that is not Batman, it is James Bond but disguised as Batman, BvS was a Batman movie because the supposed co-star has 5 sentences, which was the box office of that movie, the JL Batman was also the leader, what was the box office. Batman in the comics is god and sells everything, but in the cinema he is far from that level, he needs quality movies and leave behind part of his universe (the Nolan trilogy) to make a big box office. I just hope that whatever the box office, it receives the same treatment as the rest of the Dc characters, if it is a success they will give it another movie, if it fails they will forget about it in the style of GL or make a black Batman 10 years later .
    Last edited by NaVi; 12-27-2021 at 06:19 AM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

New trailer for The Batman:

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    New trailer for The Batman:

It's not that I'm against this new movie, and everything seems on-point, but...it really feels like I've seen this all before, multiple times .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's not that I'm against this new movie, and everything seems on-point, but...it really feels like I've seen this all before, multiple times .
    We have lol. Reeves isn’t reinventing the wheel here, after the failure of Batffleck this is very much meant to rehabilitate Batman on screen. But just because the hardcore comics fans are jaded doesn’t mean the general public is.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Blame the numerous Bat-centric DTV animated movies As Vordan said though, it doesn't seem to be a problem for general audiences. Also great to have a theatrical live action Batman film with 3 of the Big 4 Rogues.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 12-27-2021 at 12:32 PM.

Tbh it has been a decade since the last solo Batman film so it would feel fresh but I feel like there was still so much Batman in between with Snyder's take. If this was Batman's first cinematic appearance since TDKR, I actually think it would feel fresh. Well, at least the movie looks good so that'll at least be exciting

I'm still not hyped at all sadly. I'll go see it, I hope it'll succeed and perhaps get sequels and all in the future but I can't help but feel sad we probably won't have a Batman in the main DCEU Universe, I guess (if it still even exists, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Tbh it has been a decade since the last solo Batman film
    5 years from the last solo Batman film that also featured Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman actually

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    We have lol. Reeves isn’t reinventing the wheel here, after the failure of Batffleck this is very much meant to rehabilitate Batman on screen. But just because the hardcore comics fans are jaded doesn’t mean the general public is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Blame the numerous Bat-centric DTV animated movies As Vordan said though, it doesn't seem to be a problem for general audiences. Also great to have a theatrical live action Batman film with 3 of the Big 4 Rogues.
    Yeah, like, coming off of Long Halloween and the Telltale games I keep seeing stuff that I feel like has already been done in recent memory (and the Nolan movies don't feel as long ago as they have been, partially because of Batfleck).

Like, I'm usually up for "standard Superhero content" but I feel like I've seen so much Batman that this just doesn't jump out at me. Especially when they talk it up as being a new take but every scene I'm like "I've already seen this before."

But for newer audiences who aren't as into Batman or Superheroes as I am, or newer fans (not that I think this is being aimed at all for the younger crowd, at least in the vein of the MCU movies) this will probably hit a sweet spot for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Tbh it has been a decade since the last solo Batman film so it would feel fresh but I feel like there was still so much Batman in between with Snyder's take. If this was Batman's first cinematic appearance since TDKR, I actually think it would feel fresh. Well, at least the movie looks good so that'll at least be exciting
    Yeah, I feel like if we had longer before Batman's last cinematic appearance or, like, more of a need for such a back-to-basics standard version (when back-to-basics standard seems to always be the go-to) this would hit better than it is for me.

Yeah it just feels like a slightly different version of the Nolan films if I'm honest
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah it just feels like a slightly different version of the Nolan films if I'm honest
    I see Nolan, Earth One, Telltale, etc.