Page 969 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 46986991995996596696796896997097197297397910191069 ... LastLast
Results 14,521 to 14,535 of 20948
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The Nolan movies were great for what they were. Personally I would have preferred something that went in a different direction for a cinematic Batman but I'm not surprised they're going for a tried and true take on adapting the character.
    Aside from it being dark and grounded which a lot of the best Bat comics are I really don’t see too much similarity to Nolan. This seems much more like a comic book Batman brought to life than Nolan’s ever did, imo.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Aside from it being dark and grounded which a lot of the best Bat comics are I really don’t see too much similarity to Nolan. This seems much more like a comic book Batman brought to life than Nolan’s ever did, imo.
    I dunno, the aesthetic seems similar in some respects even if there's more of an edge than Nolan did in my opinion, but I guess they're going for kind of a Miller vibe with a dash of other takes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno, the aesthetic seems similar in some respects even if there's more of an edge than Nolan did in my opinion, but I guess they're going for kind of a Miller vibe with a dash of other takes.
    I can definitely see where you’re coming from but that’s very much going to be case when you’re drawing upon the same source material. A lot of Reeves cited comic influences on this film are already stories that have influenced Nolan for his take like Year One and Long Halloween(which are basically crime dramas told with comic book characters) but the difference here is that I think Reeves is taking a slightly more stylized and atmospheric approach to his version. His Gotham for example seems to be taking the approach that the Arkham games did by blending the otherworldly gothic architecture of Burton’s with the more real world approach of Nolan’s and I really dig it so far. It looks really good, imo.

And I’m just stoked we’ll finally doing a murder mystery detective story with Batman on film. That’s something Nolan never explored, and there’s certainly untapped potential for something really great with that.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    I can definitely see where you’re coming from but that’s very much going to be case when you’re drawing upon the same source material. A lot of Reeves cited comic influences on this film are already stories that have influenced Nolan for his take like Year One and Long Halloween(which are basically crime dramas told with comic book characters) but the difference here is that I think Reeves is taking a slightly more stylized and atmospheric approach to his version. His Gotham for example seems to be taking the approach that the Arkham games did by blending the otherworldly gothic architecture of Burton’s with the more real world approach of Nolan’s and I really dig it so far. It looks really good, imo.

And I’m just stoked we’ll finally doing a murder mystery detective story with Batman on film. That’s something Nolan never explored, and there’s certainly untapped potential for something really great with that.
    I definitely appreciate getting a detective story in a Batman movie (and hopefully Batman is more on the ball here than he was in the Long Halloween).

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Honest answer ? Without changing the characters played by the actors you listed (so Batman, Pinguin and Riddler) :

Affleck as the main actor, because he nailed both Bruce and Batman perfectly in BvS and Snyder's take on the JL while I remain utterly unconvinced by Pattinson's acting in either role in all the trailers - he just doesn't do it for me, he's too small, too lithe and just doesn't play like I envision Bruce Wayne/Batman doing (very much like Bale, whom i really didn't like in the role either).
    I don't mean this to be a jerk, but between this and some other recent comments in this thread, it really just seems like you're upset that this is getting made instead of Affleck's Batman movie. Which is honestly fine if you preferred Snyder's take, but a lot of the criticism against this comes off as kind of bad faith in light of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I don't mean this to be a jerk, but between this and some other recent comments in this thread, it really just seems like you're upset that this is getting made instead of Affleck's Batman movie. Which is honestly fine if you preferred Snyder's take, but a lot of the criticism against this comes off as kind of bad faith in light of that.
    Well, yeah. I'd rather we got a good super-hero movie set in the DCEU with a tried and true Batman than another "it's not a comic-book movie I swear!" flick with actors I don't give a shit about, whose murder mystery seems utterly uninterested and whose scenario is really uninspired, even by Hollywood's standard ("Relatives of the hero did something to the villain who is now an anarchist who wants to destroy the city because reasons" is, sadly, a cliché at this point in time and it's what Reeves is going for, with - as far as I can tell from the trailer)
    Last edited by Korath; 12-29-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Well, yeah. I'd rather we got a good super-hero movie set in the DCEU with a tried and true Batman than another "it's not a comic-book movie I swear!" flick with actors I don't give a shit about, whose murder mystery seems utterly uninterested and whose scenario is really uninspired, even by Hollywood's standard ("Relatives of the hero did something to the villain who is now an anarchist who wants to destroy the city because reasons" is, sadly, a cliché at this point in time and it's what Reeves is going for, with - as far as I can tell from the trailer)
    The problem here is you're presenting your take on things as objectively superior/correct. As I said it's fine if you preferred Snyder's take on Batman, but the continued accusations you keep making of this one being inherently inferior seemingly for the crime of not being Snyder's version is kind of funny, especially when a major reason it exists in the first place is because of the fallout from the early DCEU due to how divisively received those flicks were. One is not an automatically more "correct" take on Batman just because you personally liked it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

Anyway, with DC making spin offs to every new film (Peacemaker, GCPD) how long do you think it will take until they announce a spin off from Aquaman and Black Adam?
    They're absolutely going to be looking into the prospect of a JSA movie or series if Black Adam is a hit. Some of the word coming out of test screenings seems to point to the film making it kind of obvious this is a team we'll be seeing more of.

They're absolutely going to be looking into the prospect of a JSA movie or series if Black Adam is a hit. Some of the word coming out of test screenings seems to point to the film making it kind of obvious this is a team we'll be seeing more of.
    Hawkman please! Do it like Indiana Jones meets Assassins Creed and we have a great story.

Aldis Hodge is a good actor, have the charisma to carry a show, they can use the reincarnation to great effect in a tv show and just imagine the action sequences a character like Hawkman can offer, hand-to-hand, sword fights, gunfights, dogfights in the sky, medieval war scenes, gladiator combats, everything would be possible.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Hawkman please! Do it like Indiana Jones meets Assassins Creed and we have a great story.

Aldis Hodge is a good actor, have the charisma to carry a show, they can use the reincarnation to great effect in a tv show and just imagine the action sequences a character like Hawkman can offer, hand-to-hand, sword fights, gunfights, dogfights in the sky, medieval war scenes, gladiator combats, everything would be possible.
    A no-brainer, isn't it?

The problem here is you're presenting your take on things as objectively superior/correct. As I said it's fine if you preferred Snyder's take on Batman, but the continued accusations you keep making of this one being inherently inferior seemingly for the crime of not being Snyder's version is kind of funny, especially when a major reason it exists in the first place is because of the fallout from the early DCEU due to how divisively received those flicks were. One is not an automatically more "correct" take on Batman just because you personally liked it better.
    I'd probably be less inclined to feel like Reeves' trying to scam me if he didn't made all those comments a while ago about his Batman "not being a superhero movie" and what not, to be honest.

And if he had chosen actors more fitting for the role. Baring Kravitz, the others just don't do it at all. Say what you will about Snyder, he had a clear vision for the DCEU and he picked the perfect actors to fulfill it. So far, Reeves doesn't seem to have that.

And I'm not saying that Farrel or Pattinson are bad actors. They are great actors. But if you take Colin Farrel and put him in a fat-suit to make a generic godfather and call it The Penguin, yeah, I'm having doubt on your interest in the Batman mythos and its characters. Pattinson would also make a great Nightwing - at least I think, when I see him in his "Bruce Wayne" scenes I can't help but feel that he'd work better as an agile, funnier, crimefighter than Batman's darker, far more brutal brand of justice.

I'd probably be less inclined to feel like Reeves' trying to scam me if he didn't made all those comments a while ago about his Batman "not being a superhero movie" and what not, to be honest.
    That just makes even less sense to me. If he was upfront with the idea it wasn't going to be like Snyder's Batman from the beginning, I'm not sure how that constitutes a "scam" on his part.

And if he had chosen actors more fitting for the role. Baring Kravitz, the others just don't do it at all. Say what you will about Snyder, he had a clear vision for the DCEU and he picked the perfect actors to fulfill it. So far, Reeves doesn't seem to have that.
    This goes back to the thing I said about you presenting your preferences and opinions as objective fact. The movie isn't even out yet, so claiming the entire cast except for Kravitz is miscast is a major stretch, especially when so far nothing I've seen in the trailers has indicated bad performances.

Imagine a world where a JSA movie out earns the JL movie because it was better. Wonder how DC would react to that?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Imagine a world where a JSA movie out earns the JL movie because it was better. Wonder how DC would react to that?
    Hopefully with a big JSA push lol

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Shoehorning Harley into the JSA, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Shoehorning Harley into the JSA, probably.