Page 98 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 48889495969798991001011021081481985981098 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    You misunderstood what I stated. I think the movie was great and I couldn't have been more enthusiastic for its success. I was specifically referring to the usual anti-DC crowd who would have been much tougher on it had it been a male-led film for the reason I outlined.
    So who would be the anti-DC crowd who also happens to have a feminist bias, slant, or focus?

I have no doubt that there is a set of vocal anti-DC people. Likewise I have no trouble finding people calling for more female representation in superhero movies. But I think any actual overlap between those two groups is near zero. On the contrary, I have found that the anti-fans I've encountered predominantly are steeped in male or white privilege.

Yeah, I think some fans see the successes of films like Wonder Woman, Aquaman and on the Marvel side, Black Panther, threatening to the usual status quo. DCEU gets the brunt of the attacks because for a time there, other than Batman and Superman, all the major heroes and Harley were either women or minorities.

Then there is the usual franchise fanboyism, of which now some critics are also guilty of unfortunately (like that NY Post guy).

But as long as DC keeps putting out good films and they keep being successful, the negativity should eventually go away. It started to reduce after Wonder Woman's success, increased after Justice League's disappointment, but has begun to reduce again after Aquaman's success.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 01-06-2019 at 06:28 AM.

All DC needs to make sure is to produce crowd pleasers. As long as the paying audience, who are the only people that matter in this equation, are entertained by them, it doesn't matter at all what RT scores they end up getting. If Shazam is a crowd pleaser too, the DCEU would only keep earning more of that lost audience trust that WW and Aquaman started regaining.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    So who would be the anti-DC crowd who also happens to have a feminist bias, slant, or focus?
    Just extremely partisan people who don't like DC and/or prefer Marvel. It has nothing to do with any other type of bias. I would add those who hated Snyder's vision, but that before his removal.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Just extremely partisan people who don't like DC and/or prefer Marvel. It has nothing to do with any other type of bias. I would add those who hated Snyder's vision, but that before his removal.
    That's not an answer to my question. Who were the anti-DC people who went easy on Wonder Woman because it was female-led? Because I don't think you can find any, and the idea that such people existed can be used to nibble at the reception and thinking around the quality of Wonder Woman.

(Granted, the meme that some people went easy on Wonder Woman because it was female-led is bad enough, and one I think doesn't hold any water either.)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    All talk now about Aquaman is about whether or not it will cross a billion and what that means for WB/DC going forward.
    And even with that talk it’s still meant with passive-aggressive, cynical bs. Critics won’t let this be a win. Now when it does reach a billion. I can’t wait to see the excuses. I can’t wait to see how people justify those lame excuses as well.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Don't know about you folks but I was laughing my ass off here.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

That's not an answer to my question. Who were the anti-DC people who went easy on Wonder Woman because it was female-led? Because I don't think you can find any, and the idea that such people existed can be used to nibble at the reception and thinking around the quality of Wonder Woman.
    I didn't say that, though. I said they specifically didn't attack the movie because they didn't want it to hurt any other films featuring women as the leads. I think any criticisms, if any, then made were based on the merits of the film and not because of any personal bias against WB/DC or possibly Snyder. IOW, they were not giving it a pass, but not attacking it unfairly.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I didn't say that, though. I said they specifically didn't attack the movie because they didn't want it to hurt any other films featuring women as the leads. I think any criticisms, if any, then made were based on the merits of the film and not because of any personal bias against WB/DC or possibly Snyder. IOW, they were not giving it a pass, but not attacking it unfairly.
    And who were "they"? Because I think that group would be near-zero, or otherwise so small it might just as well not exist.

Retired

Worldwide: $940,720,880

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Worldwide: $940,720,880

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Who’da thought that Aquaman of all characters would be the first DC character (not named Batman) to join the billionaire club.

Weekend report. First dcu film to get first place in three weeks.

It's a third straight weekend atop the weekend box office for Warner Bros.'s Aquaman as the film pushed over $940 million worldwide, becoming the highest grossing worldwide release in the DC Extended Universe. However, Sony's release of Escape Room made sure this weekend wasn't all about holdovers. The PG-13 horror/thriller made some some noise of its own, delivering a surprise runner-up finish, helping prove once again that the beginning of the year is fertile ground for horror film debuts.

With an estimated $30.7 million, WB and DC Comics's Aquaman is the #1 film at the domestic weekend box office for the third straight weekend. The film's domestic cume now totals nearly $260 million and has now pulled even with Wonder Woman's performance after 16 days in release while still pacing behind Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, a film Wonder Woman quickly left behind after 23 days in release. Aquaman will most likely follow suit and, once again, finish #1 at the box office next weekend, becoming the first film in the DCEU to secure the top spot four weekends in a row.

Internationally, Aquaman added another $56.2 million this weekend from 79 markets for a running overseas cume totaling $681 million and a global tally surpassing $940 million. The film's international cume is the largest among DC Comic adaptations, surpassing The Dark Knight Rises ($636.8m) while the worldwide cume ranks third behind The Dark Knight Rises ($1.084 billion) and The Dark Knight ($1 billion). Aquaman's leading overseas market is China with $282.8 million, nearly $250 million more than South Korea with $35.3 million. The February 8 release in Japan serves as the film's last key market yet to see release.

Sony's Escape Room debuted in second place with an estimated $18 million, well ahead of industry expectations and doubling its reported, $9 million budget. Opening weekend audiences gave the film a "B" CinemaScore, which is a decent score given the genre, while demographics saw audiences split 50/50 male-to-female with 53% of the overall crowd coming in aged 25 years or older for the PG-13 thriller. Looking ahead, we expect the film to top $40-45 million for its domestic run with Universal's Breaking In starting to look like a solid comp after it debuted with $17.6 million back in May 2018 and went on to deliver $46.5 million domestically.
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4473&p=.htm

I have no doubt that there is a set of vocal anti-DC people. Likewise I have no trouble finding people calling for more female representation in superhero movies. But I think any actual overlap between those two groups is near zero. On the contrary, I have found that the anti-fans I've encountered predominantly are steeped in male or white privilege.
    When you operate in progressive circles, it becomes clear most SJWish types to tend to favour Marvel over DC, in both comics and in film. A lot of this stems from the progressive branding the company has adopted though, and not the the application of feminist theory itself though. You do get some people that try to apply an SJW lens to demonstrate BvS and Zach Snyder is fascist (MovieBob), but, these are rare and are usually grasping. You also obviously do have people that dislike the MCU and like elements of the DCEU (hbomberguy), though, again, this has nothing to do with feminism and more or less because (in his opinion) the MCU are just bad films.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    When you operate in progressive circles, it becomes clear most SJWish types to tend to favour Marvel over DC, in both comics and in film. A lot of this stems from the progressive branding the company has adopted though, and not the the application of feminist theory itself though. You do get some people that try to apply an SJW lens to demonstrate BvS and Zach Snyder is fascist (MovieBob), but, these are rare and are usually grasping. You also obviously do have people that dislike the MCU and like elements of the DCEU (hbomberguy), though, again, this has nothing to do with feminism and more or less because (in his opinion) the MCU are just bad films.
    When did moviebob call DC and Synder fascist? He made really that bad for BVS but I have seen him go after Disney and Marvel hard as well.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics