Page 99 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 498995969798991001011021031091491995991099 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Who’da thought that Aquaman of all characters would be the first DC character (not named Batman) to join the billionaire club.
    A very exclusive club at that. Only Batman, Iron-Man and Black Panther have joined it. Now Aquaman. Funny enough Spider-Man and Superman have never reached that mark and Captain America needed the Avengers plus Spider-Man/Black Panther's MCU debut to reach it. I think Wonder Woman stands a good chance at joining that club too.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    A very exclusive club at that. Only Batman, Iron-Man and Black Panther have joined it. Now Aquaman. Funny enough Spider-Man and Superman have never reached that mark and Captain America needed the Avengers plus Spider-Man/Black Panther's MCU debut to reach it. I think Wonder Woman stands a good chance at joining that club too.
    Adjusted for inflation, Superman made 500 plus domestic. The markets weren't as expanded upon as they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by golgi View Post
    Adjusted for inflation, Superman made 500 plus domestic. The markets weren't as expanded upon as they are now.
    Nobody goes by adjusted grosses. In modern times Superman has missed that mark.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Mighty Member

Nobody goes by adjusted grosses. In modern times Superman has missed that mark.
    Well, yeah, but it's pretty impressive how many tickets Superman sold. Adjusted, it would have done much more than any DCEU film to date. That's why BO Mojo has another list for adjusted.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I suspect we’ll see a couple new names added to that list within the next few years.

Retired

Probably what big movie studios will do is alternate--make one for the domestic market, make one for the world. They can do these social progress movies like BLACK PANTHER and WONDER WOMAN, where domestic is about 50% of the gross, but then they can do big visual spectacle movies like AVENGERS 3 and AQUAMAN, where foreign is 75% of the gross (more or less).

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I think the only way Spidey or Superman make a billion dollar movie is if someone makes a amazing movie that is hyped to the hills be audiences and critics like The Dark Knight.

I feel bad for Cavill because he never really got to do a version of Superman that wasn't tied to Snyders vision of the character in some way. With the right director and take on the character I think a Cavill Superman solo flick could of been as successful as Aquaman and Wonder woman's solo films have been.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    I think the only way Spidey or Superman make a billion dollar movie is if someone makes a amazing movie that is hyped to the hills be audiences and critics like The Dark Knight.

I feel bad for Cavill because he never really got to do a version of Superman that wasn't tied to Snyders vision of the character in some way. With the right director and take on the character I think a Cavill Superman solo flick could of been as successful as Aquaman and Wonder woman's solo films have been.
    I can see SM: Far From Home cracking a billion or atleast come close to it since modern Marvel sequels tend to make more than their predecessors.

Not sure about Superman though. Hard to say the next time we’ll even get to see him on the big screen.

Not sure about Superman though. Hard to say the next time we’ll even get to see him on the big screen.

Next month.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/...double-feature

Then again in lego movie 2 with the justice league.

Saw Aquaman again last night, and I have to say I liked it a lot more the second time. Whereas before I would've given it a solid 6/10, I'd rate it at a 7 or even a 7.5 now. I also saw it with a friend who doesn't read comics but loves the film genre, and he enjoyed it more than I did. Said he'd give it an 8, easily, so that's good news for the DCEU. This guy also likes all of the other DCEU movies, too, though, so keep that in mind.

For myself, I think the difference was I was more prepared for the cheese this time, and more or less just shut my brain off before it started. Not trying to knock it; I like fun, popcorn movies, but I guess I've just come to expect more from the DCEU at this point. I wasn't prepared for what it was the first go around, in other words. Viewed in the light of just an entertaining, summer-season style of action film, though, I had a lot of fun.

That said, I still have issues with some of the acting and lines, and Black Manta still feels totally unnecessary and shoehorned-in to me (Arthur's character arc would've worked fine without him, in my opinion), but overall I enjoyed it. I would recommend other folks who were let down the first go around to give it another go, if not at the theatre, then definitely when it hits the home market.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Retired

My second experience was also better than my first. The first time, if I had to rate it, I'd probably have given it a 8 or 8.5. After the second, I'd give it a 9.5. For comparison I would give a 10 to WONDER WOMAN, THE DARK KNIGHT and SUPERMAN (1978).

Black Manta's purpose always made sense to me (all three times I've seen it so far): 1. he establishes certain things necessary for Arthur's growth as a hero 2. he fills the land-based villain role, since Orm can't face Arthur on land or else the last battle would have no weight 3. he shows that Orm is secretly working with surface people 4. he provides a land based action sequence which is arguably the best in the whole movie 5. he needs to be established for future movies 6. comic book fans would revolt if he wasn't in the movie.

John talks about aquaman and future of dcu.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    John talks about aquaman and future of dcu.

Aquaman and Wonder Woman need to be thrown on a higher pedestal now from the people at DC. What they both accomplished is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Aquaman and Wonder Woman need to be thrown on a higher pedestal now from the people at DC. What they both accomplished is crazy.
    Sadly I don't think this will change anything comic-wise.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics