Page 193 of 214 FirstFirst ... 93143183189190191192193194195196197203 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,895 of 3203
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

Master Hero Vladimir

I can't help but wonder how would they react to a mid-life crisis.

BANNED

Spectacular Member

Ageing up isn't necessarily a death sentence.
    How much can you change a character until they no longer are the same person?

et's avoid the negativity in here please.
    I would say I am appreciating a favourite character that got lost in time and might never return

But I guess mourning a character is too illogical for this comic book forum

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    How much can you change a character until they no longer are the same person?

I would say I am appreciating a favourite character that got lost in time and might never return

But I guess mourning a character is too illogical for this comic book forum
    That's your opinion and I respect it, but maybe you could keep an open mind about Jon's future in the Superman stories. To keep readers emotionally invested, Bendis had to something dramatic to Jon. That's what dramatic tension is about. If you know the character is gonna be fine, then what's the point of reading? Yes, Jon can have adventures in his own books but he is first and foremost a Superman character and what happens to Clark will affect Jon in some manner.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    That's your opinion and I respect it, but maybe you could keep an open mind about Jon's future in the Superman stories. To keep readers emotionally invested, Bendis had to something dramatic to Jon. That's what dramatic tension is about. If you know the character is gonna be fine, then what's the point of reading? Yes, Jon can have adventures in his own books but he is first and foremost a Superman character and what happens to Clark will affect Jon in some manner.
    But the thing is, they are doing the reverse. They are tampering with Jon(that may cause irreparable damage ) for the sake of Clark. They did something similar in the Truth arc, it did not end well.
    I find this tactic of risking the side characters greatness for the sake of protagonist, extremely cheap.what if they decide to make Lois into cheat or something, so that Clark can have an arc. That would be perfectly within the right of the author . Since, after all Lois is superman side character. But that does not mean, people(especially Lois fans) will like it.And the arc will be accepted.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    But the thing is, they are doing the reverse. They are tampering with Jon(that may cause irreparable damage ) for the sake of Clark. They did something similar in the Truth arc, it did not end well.
    I find this tactic of risking the side characters greatness for the sake of protagonist, extremely cheap.what if they decide to make Lois into cheat or something, so that Clark can have an arc. That would be perfectly within the right of the author . Since, after all Lois is superman side character. But that does not mean, people(especially Lois fans) will like it.And the arc will be accepted.
    That's the beauty of evolution and change. The higher-ups at DC can respond to fan demands and ultimately make the necessary changes to make the story acceptable to fans again. DC had to take risks and change the status quo to get Superman and his supporting cast to where they are right now. Ultimately, the Superman comics have to evolve, because the times change, people change and what people demand from comic books changes as well. The Superman comics cannot rely on nostalgia-driven storytelling forever, or that too will become boring and predictable.

BANNED

That's the beauty of evolution and change. The higher-ups at DC can respond to fan demands and ultimately make the necessary changes to make the story acceptable to fans again. DC had to take risks and change the status quo to get Superman and his supporting cast to where they are right now. Ultimately, the Superman comics have to evolve, because the times change, people change and what people demand from comic books changes as well. The Superman comics cannot rely on nostalgia-driven storytelling forever, or that too will become boring and predictable.
    Not all change is for the better, and there was nothing "nostalgic" about the Super-Family concept as it was a breath of fresh air and something rarely tried long-term in comics. Only the Fantastic Four have ever truly mastered it.

Bendis has said he will not break Lois and Clark up, and he's apparently going to be on the book for a number of years, he's eager to get back to showing how committed and loyal they are to one another. I'm worried about Lois a bit in Doomsday Clock (especially after reading issue 8), but Geoff has also said she will be key to solving the greater mystery, so I doubt spoilers:
    she'll be turning on Clark like the rest of the media. Hell, Perry's paper is the only one giving him the benefit of the doubt and he and Ron wrote pieces deconstructing the incident in Moscow.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 12-01-2018 at 02:47 AM.

Master Hero Vladimir

Not all change is for the better, and there was nothing "nostalgic" about the Super-Family concept as it was a breath of fresh air and something rarely tried long-term in comics. Only the Fantastic Four have ever truly mastered it.

Bendis has said he will not break Lois and Clark up, and he's apparently going to be on the book for a number of years, he's eager to get back to showing how committed and loyal they are to one another. I'm worried about Lois a bit in Doomsday Clock (especially after reading issue 8), but Geoff has also said she will be key to solving the greater mystery, so I doubt spoilers:
    she'll be turning on Clark like the rest of the media. Hell, Perry's paper is the only one giving him the benefit of the doubt and he and Ron wrote pieces deconstructing the incident in Moscow.
    end of spoilers
    Obviously, not all changes in the Superman universe will be positive and what I mean with nostalgia is that Jurgens and Tomasi reintroduced a few old concepts with a fresh coat of paint within the Rebirth era (Doomsday, Mr. Mxyzptlk, Superman Revenge Squad). Bendis' job as a writer is to offer audiences a new angle to look at these very old characters and keep things fresh and interesting. Hopefully, Bendis' work in the Superman universe will help maintain fan interest, and to his credit, Bendis has shown he has a noticeable love and respect for Superman and his community. Still, I don't know what kind of impact Doomsday Clock will have on the Superman mythos and if Bendis will either accept it or work around it. So far, Bendis has avoided references to Heroes in Crisis, which is also an ongoing story with a much steadier pace than Doomsday Clock, but that story's original concept first appeared in the Batman books, so you can make an argument that Batman's role will outweigh Superman's, at least to some extent.

What part of Jon is nostalgia? The characters introduction was completely new. He is fresh. What he needed was more exposure. His direction had enough drama, in it.He was going to a new school. He was beginning to have relationship with the alien kid next door.
    Drama in a book should naturally evolve not forcefully injected. And the drama itself in the books till now feel cheap, forced and unearned.
    The drama regarding Lois and Clark fell flat, I hope this doesn't as well.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    What part of Jon is nostalgia? The characters introduction was completely new. He is fresh. What he needed was more exposure. His direction had enough drama, in it.He was going to a new school. He was beginning to have relationship with the alien kid next door.
    Drama in a book should naturally evolve not forcefully injected. And the drama itself in the books till now feel cheap, forced and unearned.
    The drama regarding Lois and Clark fell flat, I hope this doesn't as well.
    I've never said that Jon was originated by nostalgia. He is an entirely new character whose introduction put the Superman comics in an exciting new direction. On the other hand, Jurgens and Tomasi did indulge in a bit of nostalgia during the Rebirth era. If you dislike what's happening in the books, that's fine; you don't have to like every little thing Bendis does with Superman. What I'm trying to say is that Bendis is injecting new ideas and concepts to the Superman books; what with turning Jon into a teenager, introducing Rogol Zaar and making Jor-El a supporting character. Fans are not obligated to like every single one of those ideas and concepts, and DC is free to reverse those changes if they fail to maintain interest, but ultimately, the Superman comics have to evolve. What I'm doing right now is trying to keep an open mind.

I've never said that Jon was originated by nostalgia. He is an entirely new character whose introduction put the Superman comics in an exciting new direction. On the other hand, Jurgens and Tomasi did indulge in a bit of nostalgia during the Rebirth era. If you dislike what's happening in the books, that's fine; you don't have to like every little thing Bendis does with Superman. What I'm trying to say is that Bendis is injecting new ideas and concepts to the Superman books; what with turning Jon into a teenager, introducing Rogol Zaar and making Jor-El a supporting character. Fans are not obligated to like every single one of those ideas and concepts, and DC is free to reverse those changes if they fail to maintain interest, but ultimately, the Superman comics have to evolve. What I'm doing right now is trying to keep an open mind.
    Dude, and bendis doesn't indulge in any nostalgia?
    None of what u said are new concepts
    turning a kid into teenager-done that before with fantastic results. So check
    Rogol zarr - a completely generic villain who destroyed krypton(can be replaced by anyone like mongol, brainiac who has done it many continuities) . Done that. So check(even if rogol turned out to be half kryptonion)
    Jor el as supporting character was more John's and Jurgens not Bendis.

If you had said the Metropolis underground, world building with the circle, daily planet.. Etc I would have agreed.

BANNED

Jeff Loveness talks about his story (Lois' take on Clark' secret identity) for DC's Mysteries of Love in Space (around 8:30):

"Keep flying; keep fighting; keep loving; keep smiling. You won’t always be right, but you don’t have to be. Be just. Be fair. Be good. Be brave. Be Superman." - Bryan Q. Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon11 View Post
    Jeff Loveness talks about his story (Lois' take on Clark' secret identity) for DC's Mysteries of Love in Space (around 8:30):

That sounds great. Just added it to my pull for January. Really like the take on the three sides of his identity. The Superman mask, the "Metropolis Clark Kent" mask, and then the real guy is the Clark that's with Lois.