Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Magnus Family Appreciation 2018

Starting the new thread, as per Matt's suggestion. Sorry to see the old one locked. But it's still there for reading.

One of the amazing images posted by JMC! For the first time in years, an X-MEN calendar! And Magneto is featured as one of the month images!

Marvel Legends 2019 preview.

Women of Marvel and X-Men 2019 wall calendars.

Last edited by jmc247; Yesterday at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Her Gifted season 2 promo, which premieres Sept. 25th on Fox at 8pm, and the new trailer:

Thanks Heroine.

In terms of the 2019 X-Men calendar it looks good, though it was this year that had the first calendar since the X-Men ban went into effect. Interestingly deals like over The Gifted softened the ban at least for X-Men live action characters appearing in the movies. For X-Men even increasingly popular ones on TV though they are treating them very differently in terms of merchandising and Lorna is actually more blackballed from Marvel games and merchandise then she was in 2014 when she was much less prominent to the public. Not the best time for a hard ban to go into effect for her given its her 50th anniversary in October.

The hard ban has softened significantly for Magneto, Wanda and Pietro over the past year though not Lorna where its up as hard as ever.

The current years calendar.

Last edited by jmc247; 08-05-2018 at 08:38 AM.

Emma Dumont talks family related issues and Lorna’s background and religious identity in season 2.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Still no real sense about the retcon getting undone in the near future although there have been some recent AU explorations re: this family

And on The Gifted they continue to (very strongly) hint but only re: Lorna and Mags not the others

I like the dignity of the Magneto pics on the calendar although hate his retro original costume usually

The good thing about The Gifted is all the explosion of fan interest it has sparked or regenerated in this family, with a LOT of fan-made art fan-edited videos/pictures and so on, depicting the family
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Thanks Heroine. ...
    You're welcome, JMC, ANYthing for the fam.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    ... The good thing about The Gifted is all the explosion of fan interest it has sparked or regenerated in this family, with a LOT of... fan-edited videos... depicting the family
    Agreed, and this is probably my favorite one, so far:

Emma Dumont talks family related issues and Lorna’s background and religious identity in season 2.

Oh my gosh, did Emma Dumont just confirm that "The Gifted" Polaris is Jewish? This is amazing! I kinda like everything she said. I know this is the Magnus Family thread, and I want a father-daughter relationship between Magneto and Lorna, but what Emma said; that Lorna is the "outcast" daughter, and her father abandoned her while she was growing up, makes sense. Of course she would resent Magneto (and secretly long for some acknowledgement from him too, if he's still alive in this modern X-Men story-but I fear Magneto might be gone by this time). (In LOGAN, Xavier is alive in the future, so he's probably still around in the GIFTED time line.) But yeah, I like how she expressed that--she's the "outcast" daughter of an "outcast" himself, who couldn't bring himself to acknowledge her, knowing how it feels to lose a family, knowing how it feels to be an outcast. Emma Dumont is one of the most intelligent, articulate actresses I've ever seen--we're so lucky she's playing Polaris. And I hope (and pray--because maybe we need divine intervention to save the FOX X-Men tv shows) that Disney/Marvel lets both LEGION and THE GIFTED continue.

Thanks again to JMC for bringing that interview to our attention!

Thanks Heroine.

In terms of the 2019 X-Men calendar it looks good, though it was this year that had the first calendar since the X-Men ban went into effect. Interestingly deals like over The Gifted softened the ban at least for X-Men live action characters appearing in the movies. For X-Men even increasingly popular ones on TV though they are treating them very differently in terms of merchandising and Lorna is actually more blackballed from Marvel games and merchandise then she was in 2014 when she was much less prominent to the public. Not the best time for a hard ban to go into effect for her given its her 50th anniversary in October.

The hard ban has softened significantly for Magneto, Wanda and Pietro over the past year though not Lorna where its up as hard as ever.

The current years calendar.

I didn't know there was a 2018 X-MEN calendar! I didn't expect there to be one, and I didn't search for it like I usually do. Marvel didn't do much promotion for it.

I've tried to see what the art represents in the 2019 X-Men calendar Magneto (February) Picture. I tried to magnify it, zoom in, but I can't tell what the heck the bottom part of the picture represents. It looks like Magneto in plain brown fatigues, with a military helmet on, but his regular belt and gloves. I tried to find any reference to a previous outfit he wore, but can't match it up. These calendars are commissioned probably a year in advance, so I don't think that art is necessarily indicative of future Marvel plans for Magneto in the comics. Does anyone have any ideas about what it might mean?

And yes, we can already see Polaris being pushed aside in the comics. No news as to where she will be among the new X-Men books. Which is infuriating because Emma Dumont's Polaris on THE GIFTED is very popular, and I think she brings hundreds of new readers to these message boards as well as to the comic shops. Why in the world would Marvel try to shelve Polaris in the comics? (Some editors--they want any family relationship to Magneto to be stripped from all Marvel/X-Men characters.) Well, some editors are wrong--it's bad business. The comics don't need to be pushing away readers that this successful tv show (GIFTED) brings in.

Best case scenario; given the MCU timeline, I'd expect to see Polaris appear in Marvel films as soon as the Disney/Fox deal is finalized. If Marvel TV and Marvel Studios don't want to use Magneto, his daughter is clearly a perfect substitute. She'd be perfect as one of the first X-Men characters to appear in an AVENGERS or other current MCU franchise movie!
    Last edited by Rivka; 08-05-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    Oh my gosh, did Emma Dumont just confirm that "The Gifted" Polaris is Jewish? This is amazing! I kinda like everything she said. I know this is the Magnus Family thread, and I want a father-daughter relationship between Magneto and Lorna, but what Emma said; that Lorna is the "outcast" daughter, and her father abandoned her while she was growing up, makes sense. Of course she would resent Magneto (and secretly long for some acknowledgement from him too, if he's still alive in this modern X-Men story-but I fear Magneto might be gone by this time). (In LOGAN, Xavier is alive in the future, so he's probably still around in the GIFTED time line.) But yeah, I like how she expressed that--she's the "outcast" daughter of an "outcast" himself, who couldn't bring himself to acknowledge her, knowing how it feels to lose a family, knowing how it feels to be an outcast. Emma Dumont is one of the most intelligent, articulate actresses I've ever seen--we're so lucky she's playing Polaris. And I hope (and pray--because maybe we need divine intervention to save the FOX X-Men tv shows) that Disney/Marvel lets both LEGION and THE GIFTED continue.

Thanks again to JMC for bringing that interview to our attention!
    Yes, they will delve into her religious background and upbringing. They are building a fulling formed and multifaceted depiction of Lorna and it looks like the character will take several steps forward in her development in the coming season.

I think The Gifted as long as it does ratings wise strongly this season is good through season three, but after that it might be sketchy in a number of ways depending on what certain forces want. But, yes in terms of merchandising and promotion its clearly being blackballed compared to the Inhumans show which failed and the merchandise coming out for them even now and whatever deal exists between Marvel and Fox in terms of merchandising for x-films characters.

And yes, we can already see Polaris being pushed aside in the comics. No news as to where she will be among the new X-Men books. Which is infuriating because Emma Dumont's Polaris on THE GIFTED is very popular, and I think she brings hundreds of new readers to these message boards as well as to the comic shops. Why in the world would Marvel try to shelve Polaris in the comics? (Some editors--they want any family relationship to Magneto to be stripped from all Marvel/X-Men characters.) Well, some editors are wrong--it's bad business. The comics don't need to be pushing away readers that this successful tv show (GIFTED) brings in.

Best case scenario; given the MCU timeline, I'd expect to see Polaris appear in Marvel films as soon as the Disney/Fox deal is finalized. If Marvel TV and Marvel Studios don't want to use Magneto, his daughter is clearly a perfect substitute. She'd be perfect as one of the first X-Men characters to appear in an AVENGERS or other current MCU franchise movie!
    Right now Marvel Entertainment is seemingly trying a back to basics approach centered around what the MCU will do or what they think/want/expect the MCU to do. Magneto is being licensed again and promoted as one of their top 10 'big bads' in merchandise and video games and the assumption is Magneto is going to be out there trying to fix the world and butting heads with the MCU X-Men and Avengers.

Their expectation so far based on their actions clearly Lorna has no future on the film side in the next five or ten years and they are going so far as to not cashing in on her popularity says a fair bit. That assumption and the reality can change though if the TV version becomes popular enough.

The logistical problems with including a prime of his life Magneto into the MCU at this point time wise are obvious. It can be finagled and keep him still born in the 1920s, but they are going to have to twist things and use some plot devises to make it happen. I think they want it to happen, but if they have it in them to delay his entrance a couple years after the entrance into the MCU I don't know. They would have to have a great idea on how to delay it and then introduce him with the age issue resolved and you speak to one possibility certainty.

There are Polaris fans I am sure that hope Lorna would be included beside Storm and Rogue and Jean from early on, but realistically that isn't going to happen, but the character can still make a big splash and yes eventually ally with the MCU X-Men against a big bad, but starting out that way isn't going to happen. The Gifted is in many ways doing the MCU's work for them in developing a character in audiences minds that they can use to ration Magneto's own appearances.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-05-2018 at 01:20 PM.

BANNED

Yes, they will delve into her religious background and upbringing. They are building a fulling formed and multifaceted depiction of Lorna and it looks like the character will take several steps forward in her development in the coming season.

I think The Gifted as long as it does ratings wise strongly this season is good through season three, but after that it might be sketchy in a number of ways depending on what certain forces want. But, yes in terms of merchandising and promotion its clearly being blackballed compared to the Inhumans show which failed and the merchandise coming out for them even now and whatever deal exists between Marvel and Fox in terms of merchandising for x-films characters.

Right now Marvel Entertainment is seemingly trying a back to basics approach centered around what the MCU will do or what they think/want/expect the MCU to do. Magneto is being licensed again and promoted as one of their top 10 'big bads' in merchandise and video games and the assumption is Magneto is going to be out there trying to fix the world and butting heads with the MCU X-Men and Avengers.

Their expectation so far based on their actions clearly Lorna has no future on the film side in the next five or ten years and they are going so far as to not cashing in on her popularity says a fair bit. That assumption and the reality can change though if the TV version becomes popular enough.

The logistical problems with including a prime of his life Magneto into the MCU at this point time wise are obvious. It can be finagled and keep him still born in the 1920s, but they are going to have to twist things and use some plot devises to make it happen. I think they want it to happen, but if they have it in them to delay his entrance a couple years after the entrance into the MCU I don't know. They would have to have a great idea on how to delay it and then introduce him with the age issue resolved and you speak to one possibility certainty.

There are Polaris fans I am sure that hope Lorna would be included beside Storm and Rogue and Jean from early on, but realistically that isn't going to happen, but the character can still make a big splash and yes eventually ally with the MCU X-Men against a big bad, but starting out that way isn't going to happen. The Gifted is in many ways doing the MCU's work for them in developing a character in audiences minds that they can use to ration Magneto's own appearances.
    Keep in mind the merger still is official, and it's just now that people at Disney can make plans concerning these types of things. Before, I would say that Fox's delay of Dark Phoenix and New Mutants is that those films have to be spectacular or else those people will be fired when the merger closes. I'm sure Disney execs were in the screening audiences.

As soon as overseas regulators finish their review, the merger will completely close. That's by next year. Polaris fans shouldn't worry, Lorna has the biggest promotional tool possible. She's a member of a popular TV soon. This will effect the comics soon enough, and other media and she'll make it to MCU. I think even when Marvel retconned Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch into not being Magneto's children, they decided to leave things open in the film universe. MCU Quicksilver was killed off, Fox just had Polaris and Fox did not have a Scarlet Witch. Which makes it easy to constitute things.

Avengers Infinity 4 could be used to incorporate the mutants and FF into MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Keep in mind the merger still is official, and it's just now that people at Disney can make plans concerning these types of things. Before, I would say that Fox's delay of Dark Phoenix and New Mutants is that those films have to be spectacular or else those people will be fired when the merger closes. I'm sure Disney execs were in the screening audiences.

As soon as overseas regulators finish their review, the merger will completely close. That's by next year. Polaris fans shouldn't worry, Lorna has the biggest promotional tool possible. She's a member of a popular TV soon. This will effect the comics soon enough, and other media and she'll make it to MCU. I think even when Marvel retconned Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch into not being Magneto's children, they decided to leave things open in the film universe. MCU Quicksilver was killed off, Fox just had Polaris and Fox did not have a Scarlet Witch. Which makes it easy to constitute things.

Avengers Infinity 4 could be used to incorporate the mutants and FF into MCU.
    I have been watching the merchandising ban closely and Wanda and Pietro were greenlite in the past 9 months. Pretty soon Wanda will be in just about every game out there and almost all of it is ignoring the Axis retcon... but also ignoring Lorna as seen below.

Magneto was also greenlite more recently as in the start of the year and will be in everything and everywhere quite soon.

X-Men Villain Magneto And Dormammu Appear In Marvel Powers United VR

Magneto! Welcome to die!

X-Men supervillain Magneto is set to appear in Oculus Rift exclusive, Marvel Powers United VR, it’s been announced today. The mutant menace will give players grief (and hopefully hilariously bad dialogue clips) as they battle it out in four-player co-op levels as some of Marvel’s most beloved superheroes. His mastery of metal is sure to give you a hard time.

Magneto is arguably one of the most famous villains that Marvel has ever produced, though his inclusion here is still surprising. For starters, there haven’t been any other X-Men characters confirmed for the game yet, so this gives us hope that the likes of Wolverine and Cyclops will be playable. It’s also generally thought that Marvel’s merry mutants take a backseat in the videogame department whilst Fox holds the movie rights to the characters; there were no X-Men to speak of in last year’s Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, for example. Could Magneto’s inclusion here signal the end of those times?

https://uploadvr.com/x-men-magneto-m...ers-united-vr/
    In SDCC the merchandisers laid out their plans well into next year and they are very good for Magneto and Wanda.... Pietro will be around as well, though Lorna is looking to be AWOL.

Emma Dumont and Matt Nix are going to have to kick serious ass and bring their A games next year to convince Marvel cutting Lorna out as they are doing isn't worth their while and I do think Lorna next year is going to blow away what came before and one can only hope that helps to move the needle and helps to convince them that there is enough profit to be made to change course.

The retcon will come down, heck its already coming down in AU comics, but it’s going to be a fight for Lorna to keep from being the odd woman out in this process.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-05-2018 at 02:58 PM.

BANNED

I have been watching the merchandising ban closely and Wanda and Pietro were greenlite in the past 9 months. Pretty soon Wanda will be in just about every game out there and almost all of it is ignoring the Axis retcon... but also ignoring Lorna as seen below.

Magneto was also greenlite more recently as in the start of the year and will be in everything and everywhere quite soon.

In SDCC the merchandisers laid out their plans well into next year and they are very good for Magneto and Wanda.... Pietro will be around as well, though Lorna is looking to be AWOL.

Emma Dumont and Matt Nix are going to have to kick serious ass and bring their A games next year to convince Marvel cutting Lorna out as they are doing isn't worth their while and I do think Lorna next year is going to blow away what came before and one can only hope that helps to move the needle and helps to convince them that there is enough profit to be made to change course.

The retcon will come down, heck its already coming down in AU comics, but it’s going to be a fight for Lorna to keep from being the odd woman out in this process.
    the Gifted was very slow when the show first came out, and there was too much emphasis on the Strucker as a family unit. To me the show stepped up the game with the introduction of the Stepford Cuckoos and the Hellfire Club. That split the ranks of the Underground, but that was good as it allowed Polaris to completely step up and show what she was capable of, power wise and leadership wise. Now even the trailers for Season 2 look a lot better as the Strucker's are no longer the main focus and as the show isn't just introducing the world to audience. Btw, I do like the Struckers but there was just a little bit too much of an introduction.

As Polaris has stepped up (the show in general) and as the show gets more into family relations (Lorna is Magneto's daughter, the Stepford sisters are Emma Frost clone daughters).

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    the Gifted was very slow when the show first came out, and there was too much emphasis on the Strucker as a family unit. To me the show stepped up the game with the introduction of the Stepford Cuckoos and the Hellfire Club. That split the ranks of the Underground, but that was good as it allowed Polaris to completely step up and show what she was capable of, power wise and leadership wise. Now even the trailers for Season 2 look a lot better as the Strucker's are no longer the main focus and as the show isn't just introducing the world to audience. Btw, I do like the Struckers but there was just a little bit too much of an introduction.

As Polaris has stepped up (the show in general) and as the show gets more into family relations (Lorna is Magneto's daughter, the Stepford sisters are Emma Frost clone daughters).
    I know the issues with the shows first season in that it saw the Strucker family as key to winning over middle America when all was said and done Lorna turned out the break out star and it has adjusted as such as was the message to the masses going to SDCC and certainty the businesses including those working for Marvel Entertainment and the companies they license saw and understood as well.

Mind you if the show did everything right and was twice as popular (and the show is the most popular super hero show) Lorna still would have been blackballed given the politics at play at play at the time. But, the politics at play could be changing which is why its possible though not a given that they will realize there is money to be made there for all and past disputes don't matter if the second season kicks as much ass for the character that I believe it will.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-06-2018 at 07:23 AM.

BANNED

Hopefully, there's things in store and plans in place, for Polaris. And they're just waiting 'til S2 actually gets going, so they can take advantage of the hype and promote her then, in a more closely timed, coordinated fashion.

Also, Salarta, I have things I'd like to post in her new appreciation thread. But am waiting per your request, so as to not use the last available space left on the first page, please hurry. ... Edit: Thank you!
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 08-05-2018 at 05:10 PM.

today