Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 404647484950515253 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Oh, I agree. I think (assuming the info is legit) what they are concerned about is some activist group (with to much free time) latching onto MJ being a model, or less likely, an actress and using it to cause bad press for the company (reinforcing negative gender stereotypes about women and all that jazz).
    I don't want people to get the wrong idea. The way MJ, and female characters in general, were portrayed was certainly problematic. (I'm talking about the pin-up model shots. Not MJ's career in-universe.)

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know the modeling thing and MJ being so good looking (and proud of it) was one of the criticisms of the marriage and her relationship with Peter and why they weren't a "good fit."

I mean, working under the assumption she's a Mary Jane stand-in I think it's telling that they cast Zendaya as Michelle but actively went against portraying Michelle as the vivacious bombshell Zendaya is in real life (even though that's more in-line with Mary Jane Watson).
    Everything Homecoming did with Zendaya's character was disappointing to me.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

That's probably why they keep re-using the reporter job, even if it's kind of also generic.

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say it's antithetical to the core themes of Spider-Man. I think it fits with MJ's character and she's as likely to struggle in as cutthroat an industry as modeling as she is in action, but she could probably be both.

I know the modeling thing and MJ being so good looking (and proud of it) was one of the criticisms of the marriage and her relationship with Peter and why they weren't a "good fit."

I mean, working under the assumption she's a Mary Jane stand-in I think it's telling that they cast Zendaya as Michelle but actively went against portraying Michelle as the vivacious bombshell Zendaya is in real life (even though that's more in-line with Mary Jane Watson).
    Yeah, nowadays we'd call that kind of attitude slut-shaming, and really, women shouldn't be shamed for being physically attractive. Women shouldn't be shamed for dressing in ways that better or best display that attractiveness. Women shouldn't be shamed for being confident enough in themselves to say yes or no to whomever they desire, or to even make the first move on or flirt with someone they do desire. None of that should be an excuse to treat women who do exhibit those qualities or behaviors as somehow less worthy of respect than other women, or less worthy of respect as human beings, period. The fact that people use this as a justification for not wanting Mary Jane and Peter to be together, or to even bash MJ as a character . . . really.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

With how much that has gone on with her over the years, I do think going back to modelling may feel like a step backwards for the character. The acting thing however, I think could still be utilized, since it has so many possibilities of opportunities, like one of the other posters mentioned, like what she did during JMS' run, or even during the second half of BND when she was a TV host. One of MJ's greatest strengths is her theatrics, and you can make great use out of them without having to resort to her just showing off her body.

I also don't mind her as a reporter as long as it fits in context with the universe. Like I couldn't see main comic MJ as a reporter as its never been something she's interested in, but new MJ's where it is established she's good at that sort of thing, I'm all for, plus sometimes like with the PS4 game, the character portrayals are still incredibly solid. Also like others said, it is a much easier way of getting her in on the Spider-Man action.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    With how much that has gone on with her over the years, I do think going back to modelling may feel like a step backwards for the character. The acting thing however, I think could still be utilized, since it has so many possibilities of opportunities, like one of the other posters mentioned, like what she did during JMS' run, or even during the second half of BND when she was a TV host. One of MJ's greatest strengths is her theatrics, and you can make great use out of them without having to resort to her just showing off her body.
    I don't think it would ever be her main career again but I like to think she keeps modeling as a side-gig when she needs it, though I think acting fits her best.
    I also don't mind her as a reporter as long as it fits in context with the universe. Like I couldn't see main comic MJ as a reporter as its never been something she's interested in, but new MJ's where it is established she's good at that sort of thing, I'm all for, plus sometimes like with the PS4 game, the character portrayals are still incredibly solid. Also like others said, it is a much easier way of getting her in on the Spider-Man action.
    I just feel like it runs the risk of turning her into a Lois Lane stand-in.

Like, the main adaptions where it was utilized (USM, the PS4 game) she just came off like a redheaded Lois Lane to me (or a teen Lois in the case of USM), downplaying the traits that are more unique to Mary Jane Watson, with the only differentiating factor being the relationship with Peter in the PS4 game, which was the most uniquely MJ thing about her in my opinion.

Although maybe not Lois Lane, but Iris West...or do I mean Vicki Vale? There sure are quite a few redhead reporters in comics .

I get where Insomniac was coming from with it, and Mary Jane was well-written in that game, but I just don't want it to become a trend for the character. Like, I will really groan if she turns out to be a budding reporter in the Marvel's Spider-Man cartoon, assuming she ever actually appears on that show.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    perhaps it is unrealistic for MJ to be a model or actress in spinoff media given the social/political climate of today.
    Well, the strip version of MJ has recently dialled back on her having a celebrity status because her film turned out to be a critical disaster. I don't see an issue with here remaining an actress due to her play though.

MJ should've turned into a stand-up comedian in the 80's, doggone diggity dang damn it.

BANNED

So in the final Insomniac add-on

spoilers:
    MJ is now an overseas correspondent and has been shipped off to cover a war some place

I wonder if that means they'll pick up from there in a sequel game mission? Perhaps she finds something that she follows back to New York
    end of spoilers

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

spoilers:
    MJ is now an overseas correspondent and has been shipped off to cover a war some place

I wonder if that means they'll pick up from there in a sequel game mission? Perhaps she finds something that she follows back to New York
    end of spoilers
    Good for her career, but
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I can respect MJ's professional and personal wishes as a reporter to do some good in a warzone but it felt kind of like she threw all of that on Peter too quickly. Like, they've only been back together for a little bit and then she springs on him that she's going to be leaving to cover a warzone in all of one day while he's busy with a bunch of other stuff.

Frankly, I don't think she'll ever get to complain about him ditching her for Spidey stuff after this.

I do wonder what's the point of it, narratively. It almost feels like they're writing MJ out, which is kind of weird for a DLC story unless they don't plan to have her immediately as an active character in the sequel immediately.

Maybe this is so Peter has more time to focus on training Miles?
    end of spoilers

BANNED

spoilers:
    I can respect MJ's professional and personal wishes as a reporter to do some good in a warzone but it felt kind of like she threw all of that on Peter too quickly. Like, they've only been back together for a little bit and then she springs on him that she's going to be leaving to cover a warzone in all of one day while he's busy with a bunch of other stuff.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Well, it's not like Peter hasn't headed off into a war zone himself...MJ probably was inspired by him going to fight the Inheritors in Spider-Geddon. It's part of her gaining the kind of experience her boyfriend deals with daily. It'll be good for their relationship.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I do wonder what's the point of it, narratively. It almost feels like they're writing MJ out, which is kind of weird for a DLC story unless they don't plan to have her immediately as an active character in the sequel immediately.

Maybe this is so Peter has more time to focus on training Miles?
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Like I said, it's probably been done as a sequel hook, I reckon you will play as MJ over in that war zone and trace a mystery back to New York. Whatever happens where MJ is will bound to impact Spidey
    end of spoilers

How often do story points from a game's DLC campaign impact the sequel?

[QUOTE=Miles To Go;4093135]spoilers:
    Well, it's not like Peter hasn't headed off into a war zone himself...MJ probably was inspired by him going to fight the Inheritors in Spider-Geddon. It's part of her gaining the kind of experience her boyfriend deals with daily. It'll be good for their relationship.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Was she even really aware of that conflict? And it's not like Peter was gone as long as she is likely to be in Symkaria.

But I guess this kind of "fair" for her to do after all the times Peter has had to leave for important stuff.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Like I said, it's probably been done as a sequel hook, I reckon you will play as MJ over in that war zone and trace a mystery back to New York. Whatever happens where MJ is will bound to impact Spidey
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I dunno, I don't see Insomniac jumping that far geographically.

Although I guess it would be a means of bringing Silver Sable back.
    end of spoilers
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    How often do story points from a game's DLC campaign impact the sequel?
    Depends on the DLC.

I mean, just from this DLC alone:

spoilers:
    Yuri as Wraith will probably be an antagonist in the sequel.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

spoilers:
    I dunno, I don't see Insomniac jumping that far geographically..
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I think it could work just for one level, not the whole thing
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    How much of MJ's decision impacts the sequel will probably depend on how much time passes in-between games. I would say most likely answer may be just a few months, since they may still want to work with an inexperienced Miles, rather than a more fully-fledged Miles that perhaps a year later would bring.

If anything, I could still easily see MJ being Peter's "guy in the chair" giving him information while she's in Symkara. Getting her involved in more dangerous situations could also allow for greater gameplay in the sequel, so for that I'm excited to see where that would go.

Also their last little conversation where they said "I love you" to each other was too adorable.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    spoilers:
    How much of MJ's decision impacts the sequel will probably depend on how much time passes in-between games. I would say most likely answer may be just a few months, since they may still want to work with an inexperienced Miles, rather than a more fully-fledged Miles that perhaps a year later would bring.

If anything, I could still easily see MJ being Peter's "guy in the chair" giving him information while she's in Symkara. Getting her involved in more dangerous situations could also allow for greater gameplay in the sequel, so for that I'm excited to see where that would go.

Also their last little conversation where they said "I love you" to each other was too adorable.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I hate the "guy in the chair trope" .

But it would probably be like how they handle it in the game where she gives background and sources for new missions like she already did in the base game.

I did like them saying "I love you" to each other, since I think that's the only time they do it in the entire game.
    end of spoilers