Page 36 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Instagram modelling is where MJ should currently be at.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Not me, I detest MJ as a Lois Lane Clone. MJ has her own well-established character she does not need to ape Lois'.
    MJ as a reporter for the Bugle was a necessary alteration needed for a video game. Little way to involve her in the main plot if she's completely disconnected from the Spider-Man stuff. There's no real room for the B-plot stuff that makes up half of a Spider-Man story.

It did get a bit far with her having an editor position at age 23. And my favorite is her calling and starting a conversation with, "I just finished hacking . . ."

Oh, you did ****ing not!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    MJ as a reporter for the Bugle was a necessary alteration needed for a video game. Little way to involve her in the main plot if she's completely disconnected from the Spider-Man stuff. There's no real room for the B-plot stuff that makes up half of a Spider-Man story.
    Roderick Kingsley, Mysterio, Chameleon etc. Multiple villains can be and have been tied to the entertainment/fashion business where MJ's traditional interests lie.

Also, when it comes to the Osborns, it doesn't even need to be profession related. MJ can be involved if she is Harry's friend or in some instances, dating him.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Roderick Kingsley, Mysterio, Chameleon etc. Multiple villains can be and have been tied to the entertainment/fashion business where MJ's traditional interests lie.

Also, when it comes to the Osborns, it doesn't even need to be profession related. MJ can be involved if she is Harry's friend or in some instances, dating him.
    but for the game it makes sense in that if you're going to make MJ a playable character.. its hard to fit in her modeling and having her snoop around for Peter. Only so many areas that can go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    It did get a bit far with her having an editor position at age 23. And my favorite is her calling and starting a conversation with, "I just finished hacking . . ."

Oh, you did ****ing not!
    Every Superhero needs a supporting character who can just casually hack into things these days .
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    but for the game it makes sense in that if you're going to make MJ a playable character.. its hard to fit in her modeling and having her snoop around for Peter. Only so many areas that can go to.
    Yeah, in terms of the game it made sense to have her involved a profession that would lead to her forcing herself into dangerous situations and give players the opportunity to guide her through them, but that's why I'm a little more forgivable of Insomniac going in that direction with the character.

But I will really roll my eyes if she pops up in the Marvel's Spider-Man cartoon as an aspiring reporter.

I think the issue is that certain professions are more accepted as taking place in a superhero story than others. There's a reason why so many superhero supporting cast members are either reporters, law enforcement or military in adaptations. MJ being a model would be seen as random.

BANNED

I'd like to see MJ go undercover as a model or actress in the next game

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think the issue is that certain professions are more accepted as taking place in a superhero story than others. There's a reason why so many superhero supporting cast members are either reporters, law enforcement or military in adaptations. MJ being a model would be seen as random.
    Or get turned into basically the Superhero's support staff (AKA every Arrowverse supporting cast, ever).

It's less and less common for characters to have outside interests or professions that don't involve Superheroics or crime-fighting. Or a hero having a life outside being a Superhero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I'd like to see MJ go undercover as a model or actress in the next game
    I was actually wondering during the game if they might mention that she dabbled in those careers during college before she decided to become a reporter, like how they mention so much Spider-History with the Backpacks, but alas...

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Hmm, how about Mary Jane as a fashion and style reporter, or going into costume or fashion design for movies and television, or even as a business for herself? Maybe she could try starting up a nightclub again, which could not only bring in revenue, but also be a kind of second home (base) for Spider-Man to operate from as well as a source of intel on more criminal or otherwise shadier members of the rich, famous, powerful, and connected who could use the club as a backdrop for their plotting and scheming.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Hmm, how about Mary Jane as a fashion and style reporter, or going into costume or fashion design for movies and television, or even as a business for herself? Maybe she could try starting up a nightclub again, which could not only bring in revenue, but also be a kind of second home (base) for Spider-Man to operate from as well as a source of intel on more criminal or otherwise shadier members of the rich, famous, powerful, and connected who could use the club as a backdrop for their plotting and scheming.
    I think the nightclub is dead-in-the-water after how many times her attempts at one crashed and burned.

I think it was an interesting idea that didn't get as much play as it could have, but I don't see them bringing it back.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the nightclub is dead-in-the-water after how many times her attempts at one crashed and burned.

I think it was an interesting idea that didn't get as much play as it could have, but I don't see them bringing it back.
    Probably, though it would be interesting given how often nightclubs are connected to crime and vice in superhero fiction, which would also give more reason for MJ's life to intersect with Peter's costumed crime-fighting activities without making her, as some would put it, "a Lois Lane clone." Then again, she could take some inspiration from her Renew Your Vows self and start her own fashion boutique, eventually building it up to the point she rivals Janet Van Dyne . . . and she could specialize in superhero(-inspired) fashion. Come to think of it, why has Mary Jane not met Janet by now, given that she was a fashion model and Janet was (and maybe still is) a fashion designer?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    But MJ has always been depicted as being adventurous right from her debut story. I usually like it when she wants to be a little competitive with Peter when it comes to heroing (provided writers don't make her downright nasty and incredibly insecure about it). The motivation would still be there for her to go snooping around, and since she is a part of Harry's friends circle too, if the location is Osborn related, she has the opportunity too.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    But if decorated superheroes did exist in real life, they would probably marry supermodels and actors. That aspect of celebrity culture was explored in Grace Randolph's Supurbia, a Boom! Studios comic focusing on the lives of superhero love interests. The MJ analog was one of the lead characters.

The Lois Lanes, Steve Trevors and Peggy Carters are awesome, but they already exist. Trying to make MJ a clone of them and in the process, sacrificing everything that made her unique and stand apart is a major disservice to the character IMO.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 11-03-2018 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Come to think of it, why has Mary Jane not met Janet by now, given that she was a fashion model and Janet was (and maybe still is) a fashion designer?
    That would require (male) writers to actually think of things for MJ to do. But back in the 90's/00's, it was just simpler to blame the lazy writing on the marriage or MJ herself.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Who's ready for MJ to become a reporter for the Daily Bugle?
    Although I won't get to play the game until Christmas, I do know about her being a reporter in it and because of that I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it happened in the comics

But MJ has always been depicted as being adventurous right from her debut story. I usually like it when she wants to be a little competitive with Peter when it comes to heroing (provided writers don't make her downright nasty and incredibly insecure about it). The motivation would still be there for her to go snooping around, and since she is a part of Harry's friends circle too, if the location is Osborn related, she has the opportunity too.

But if decorated superheroes did exist in real life, they would probably marry supermodels and actors. That aspect of celebrity culture was explored in Grace Randolph's Supurbia, a Boom! Studios comic focusing on the lives of superhero love interests. The MJ analog was one of the lead characters.

The Lois Lanes, Steve Trevors and Peggy Carters are awesome, but they already exist. Trying to make MJ a clone of them and in the process, sacrificing everything that made her unique and stand apart is a major disservice to the character IMO.

I hate to parrot the logic of the marriage detractors, but Spider-Man isn't supposed to be a celebrity.