Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    There are a couple of 'What If's' I would like to see. Many times when I'm bored or working on one small idea growing larger my imagination and elements of creativity, experiences, hopes, and logic will go off and my mind would make 100 What If ideas and such.

That is another interesting What If.

One thing I didn't like about some 'What If's' is when they are not written seriously with a idea with possible merit or that the writers will try to say the '616 characters and directions were the right ones' only due to whatever reasoning thrown in.

I HATED the cover on the 'What If' Spider-Man saved Gwen Stacy as it says "Whatever you do don't save her!"
    Who would tell Peter that?! If you told Peter of the consequences outside of other's deaths that so happens to follow somehow because he save a life he will go..."I save a life right?" That matter it's 'Gwen Stacy' makes that statement to Peter more dumbfounded as he would do anything for the people he cares about greatly SAVE A LIFE if he had the choice to do so correctly in the moment.

Also as a Gwen and MJ fan I never liked when MJ or Gwen gotten praised by characters when I didn't feel it was earned or shown why (and even if it was shown the right amount of praise or such not overblown). Many times for me it just feels ill gained and such. I like see things worked for from a uphill battle that makes such a comment worthy and justice to state. To be earned. Don't tell me somebody is awesome. Show me and also do it fairly that if another character did the same action they would get the same treatment.

In this case Jessica's words just made me roll my eyes. Also MJ wasn't totally non rattled by being dead. I prefer that as DEATH should not be a hand wave thing. Psychologically consoling plus how Peter acts and MJ acts from that moment would follow BUT since this didn't happen in Amazing or even Spectacular this will be forgotten trivia.
    Jessica knows MJ a little bit.

(Also, this annual gave us these lines after Luke proposes...)

(Ha ha ha. *Sigh.*)
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 08-30-2018 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    There are a couple of 'What If's' I would like to see. Many times when I'm bored or working on one small idea growing larger my imagination and elements of creativity, experiences, hopes, and logic will go off and my mind would make 100 What If ideas and such.

That is another interesting What If.

One thing I didn't like about some 'What If's' is when they are not written seriously with a idea with possible merit or that the writers will try to say the '616 characters and directions were the right ones' only due to whatever reasoning thrown in.

I HATED the cover on the 'What If' Spider-Man saved Gwen Stacy as it says "Whatever you do don't save her!"
    Who would tell Peter that?! If you told Peter of the consequences outside of other's deaths that so happens to follow somehow because he save a life he will go..."I save a life right?" That matter it's 'Gwen Stacy' makes that statement to Peter more dumbfounded as he would do anything for the people he cares about greatly SAVE A LIFE if he had the choice to do so correctly in the moment.

Also as a Gwen and MJ fan I never liked when MJ or Gwen gotten praised by characters when I didn't feel it was earned or shown why (and even if it was shown the right amount of praise or such not overblown). Many times for me it just feels ill gained and such. I like see things worked for from a uphill battle that makes such a comment worthy and justice to state. To be earned. Don't tell me somebody is awesome. Show me and also do it fairly that if another character did the same action they would get the same treatment.

In this case Jessica's words just made me roll my eyes. Also MJ wasn't totally non rattled by being dead. I prefer that as DEATH should not be a hand wave thing. Psychologically consoling plus how Peter acts and MJ acts from that moment would follow BUT since this didn't happen in Amazing or even Spectacular this will be forgotten trivia.
    Yeah Jessica and Peter I think would have been very interesting. To be honest a lot of outcomes could have come from it. Surprised I haven't actually seen more of a following for it. Spider-Man and Jewel together as Superheroes in high school and Peter and Jessica also trying to balance their high school life AND their relationship as Superheroes would be an interesting dynamic.

It definitely wouldn't have been "superpowers gets in the way of events" but more like they'd both have 'superhero-ing' to do in those events. But Jessica did tell Peter that Spider-Man was whom inspired her to be a superhero and make a costume in the first place. And she believed in "Great Power and Great Responsibility" in theory but she never had the words for it. When Peter said those words to her, she said that was good, and she would teach her child it.

Amazing Really, Peter himself and his mantra would have essentially completed her puzzle at that stage in her life. It's absolutely insane to think about

I personally would have loved to have seen this happen or have seen it explored.

But yes, to keep this subject on MJ. Jessica's words about her in this issue made me roll my eyes too, and honestly Jessica being in the comic makes me think of that what if now lol

particularly as she was DEFINITELY SMITTEN

But this really was always what makes me think of their what if, and what the dynamic could have been

Peter as she admits, as Spider-Man was one of the most defining people in her life, him also being Peter Parker makes that kind of double, and the fact his mantra was something she had believed in but never found the words for, means that it could have kept her from another path. It IS absolutely crazy to think about when you consider how the puzzle pieces would have fit.

But again to keep the subject on Mary Jane :P I will just say that's okay cause...

Um....

red hair and stuff.

BANNED

Yeah, back to MJ here, you want to 'ship Jess and Peter, make a new thread for it.

BANNED

Check this fan art piece of MJ and Gwen (credit to the Gwen Stacy Appreciation thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Check this fan art piece of MJ and Gwen (credit to the Gwen Stacy Appreciation thread)

Great artwork!! I wonder what she's saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Jessica knows MJ a little bit.

You have to laugh at Spider-Woman at the end there. At first glance it looks like she's done a total 180, going from hating kids to getting one by sperm donation. But of course this isn't Jessica Drew at all, she's a Skrull here!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Yeah, back to MJ here, you want to 'ship Jess and Peter, make a new thread for it.
    With the way Jess was talking about MJ, I'm surprised more people aren't shipping the two of them together.

With the way Jess was talking about MJ, I'm surprised more people aren't shipping the two of them together.
    That probably has to do with the fact that for the last what..30 years? Whenever Peter and Mary Jane aren't together, Mary Jane is pretty much kept on the side single, while Peter does what Peter does, till a writer comes along and puts them back together.

So it's hard to ship Mary Jane with anyone as they never even attempt to write her in terms of a relationship, separate from Peter for about the last 30+ years or so, and whenever they aren't together she isn't written even floating in any other direction, she's essentially just kept standby on the relationship front till a writer comes along and goes 'hmm I want to do Peter and Mary Jane again'. At least not that I can remember. Even Lois Lane got to extend herself beyond Clark occasionally and they firmly established that Mary Jane is hit on by pretty much everyone, much to her annoyance. But she is kept single while Peter is out there shipping away, and no writer has ever taken the plunge to go "hmm how would Mary Jane work with someone not Peter?" nor even attempted it. 30+ years is a long time.

So for these reasons..

You likely won't see anyone shipping Mary Jane with say..Luke Cage, anytime soon. As hilarious that would be just based upon the anticipation of Peter's reaction. Even funnier would be the likely firestorm and internet explosion that would come of it.

And now I really want to see it. xD! :P
    Last edited by Majesty; 08-31-2018 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    That probably has to do with the fact that for the last what..30 years? Whenever Peter and Mary Jane aren't together, Mary Jane is pretty much kept on the side single, while Peter does what Peter does, till a writer comes along and puts them back together.

So it's hard to ship Mary Jane with anyone as they never even attempt to write her in terms of a relationship, separate from Peter for about the last 30+ years or so, and whenever they aren't together she isn't written even floating in any other direction, she's essentially just kept standby on the relationship front till a writer comes along and goes 'hmm I want to do Peter and Mary Jane again'. At least not that I can remember. Even Lois Lane got to extend herself beyond Clark occasionally and they firmly established that Mary Jane is hit on by pretty much everyone, much to her annoyance. But she is kept single while Peter is out there shipping away, and no writer has ever taken the plunge to go "hmm how would Mary Jane work with someone not Peter?" nor even attempted it. 30+ years is a long time.

So for these reasons..

You likely won't see anyone shipping Mary Jane with say..Luke Cage, anytime soon. As hilarious that would be just based upon the anticipation of Peter's reaction.
    The funnier one would be MJ/Johnny Storm, if we just wanted to see Peter's reaction.

The funnier one would be MJ/Johnny Storm, if we just wanted to see Peter's reaction.
    Very true. The opportunity for her to branch out beyond Peter romantically would have been while she worked for Tony Stark, and not with Tony obviously.

But there was a lot of people that could appear from the Marvel world, that she could have branched out to. But pretty much she's kept single while Peter is not, or Peter has multiple flings/kisses/romances/semi-romances while MJ sits stagnant on that front.

Personally while she worked for Tony Stark I'd have loved to at least seen Mary Jane even out on a date, talking about things with someone, superhero or no (but preferably superhero lol) and one that had known Stark or had worked together, such as Luke Cage, or as you said, Johnny Storm, though I think Johnny Storm would probably appeal to the 'old party animal' Mary Jane as opposed to who she is now. Luke's more down to earth in ways she'd probably appreciate.

But yeah, these are likely the reasons you don't see Mary Jane shipped with people outside of Peter, cause the comics go out of their way for the last 30 years to keep her away from anyone that isn't Peter despite Peter's many flings/romances/make-out sessions since that point that he's had whenever they were separated.

Is it fair? No. But it would take a writer to come along and go "Hey, instead of keeping Mary Jane on the sideline while we wait another 3-4 years to do Peter/Mary Jane again.. how about we actually branch out and pair her with someone else? Or at least build to that to show she can have a romantic life outside of Peter, like we obviously have no issue doing with him." Aside from the broken windows, and "status quo is God" painted all over your desk and stamped on your idea... it would take a writer to actually have the guts to do such a thing, or it would take the higher ups to actually okay it. As I'm sure it's come up and a writer has come along with it, but the higher ups went "Status Quo is God" and like many ideas that have come and gone through comic offices it was left on the cutting room floor.

Very true. The opportunity for her to branch out beyond Peter romantically would have been while she worked for Tony Stark, and not with Tony obviously.

But there was a lot of people that could appear from the Marvel world, that she could have branched out to. But pretty much she's kept single while Peter is not, or Peter has multiple flings/kisses/romances/semi-romances while MJ sits stagnant on that front.

Personally while she worked for Tony Stark I'd have loved to at least seen Mary Jane even out on a date, talking about things with someone, superhero or no (but preferably superhero lol) and one that had known Stark or had worked together, such as Luke Cage, or as you said, Johnny Storm, though I think Johnny Storm would probably appeal to the 'old party animal' Mary Jane as opposed to who she is now. Luke's more down to earth in ways she'd probably appreciate.

But yeah, these are likely the reasons you don't see Mary Jane shipped with people outside of Peter, cause the comics go out of their way for the last 30 years to keep her away from anyone that isn't Peter despite Peter's many flings/romances/make-out sessions since that point that he's had whenever they were separated.

Is it fair? No. But it would take a writer to come along and go "Hey, instead of keeping Mary Jane on the sideline while we wait another 3-4 years to do Peter/Mary Jane again.. how about we actually branch out and pair her with someone else? Or at least build to that to show she can have a romantic life outside of Peter, like we obviously have no issue doing with him." Aside from the broken windows, and "status quo is God" painted all over your desk and stamped on your idea... it would take a writer to actually have the guts to do such a thing, or it would take the higher ups to actually okay it. As I'm sure it's come up and a writer has come along with it, but the higher ups went "Status Quo is God" and like many ideas that have come and gone through comic offices it was left on the cutting room floor.
    Back when Marvel announced MJ was going to appear in Bendis' Iron Man run, I made references that it was time to ship MJ/Rhodey. (Back before they temporarily killed Rhodey off in Civil War II.)

I agree with pretty much everything you say, of course. I think this has a lot to do with comics relying on "Status Quo is God," so they can't break things off too much. We saw this when MJ was paired off with that actor after OMD or with that Firefighter during Superior Spider-Man. But it isn't just that writers don't seem to care, it's also that fans (speaking very generally here) don't seem to care either.

Back when Marvel announced MJ was going to appear in Bendis' Iron Man run, I made references that it was time to ship MJ/Rhodey. (Back before they temporarily killed Rhodey off in Civil War II.)

I agree with pretty much everything you say, of course. I think this has a lot to do with comics relying on "Status Quo is God," so they can't break things off too much. We saw this when MJ was paired off with that actor after OMD or with that Firefighter during Superior Spider-Man. But it isn't just that writers don't seem to care, it's also that fans (speaking very generally here) don't seem to care either.
    Unfortunately.

But watch the comics hint at a romance starting between Mary Jane and Luke Cage, watch the articles that get written and the internet explode and how many people suddenly come out of the woodworks "caring" for better and for worse :P

BANNED

That, and he was dating Danvers

That, and he was dating Danvers
    That was really so there would be this tension between Danvers and Stark over Rhodey in Civil War II. (They definitely weren't very subtle about it either.)

So for these reasons..

You likely won't see anyone shipping Mary Jane with say..Luke Cage, anytime soon. As hilarious that would be just based upon the anticipation of Peter's reaction. Even funnier would be the likely firestorm and internet explosion that would come of it.

And now I really want to see it. xD! :P
    I would be all for this, like another poster mentioned, the only other relationships we got for her is Bobby Carr, which was a thing for one arc and then they're broken up the next time we see her, and Pedro, who completely disappears after his like 2nd or 3rd appearance.

I also really want to see her interact with more of the super-powered characters. As the time living with the New Avengers shows, she bounces off them really well and it leads to tons of great interactions. I think the most we've ever gotten post-OMD is a story where she teams up with the Black Cat, she fights alongside Venom in Go Down Swinging, and just now very briefly Jessica Jones. Even when she worked for Stark, her interactions never really went beyond Tony and Riri. There is still loads of potential for her.

Funnily enough, there was an issue of Hickman's FF where Peter gets annoyed at how bad a roommate Johnny is, and one of the last straws is when he has a big party where he's also flirting with MJ.

That was really so there would be this tension between Danvers and Stark over Rhodey in Civil War II. (They definitely weren't very subtle about it either.)
    To be fair, she was already dating Rhodey for like 2 years before Civil War II started.