Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I would be all for this, like another poster mentioned, the only other relationships we got for her is Bobby Carr, which was a thing for one arc and then they're broken up the next time we see her, and Pedro, who completely disappears after his like 2nd or 3rd appearance.

I also really want to see her interact with more of the super-powered characters. As the time living with the New Avengers shows, she bounces off them really well and it leads to tons of great interactions. I think the most we've ever gotten post-OMD is a story where she teams up with the Black Cat, she fights alongside Venom in Go Down Swinging, and just now very briefly Jessica Jones. Even when she worked for Stark, her interactions never really went beyond Tony and Riri. There is still loads of potential for her.
    "Wasted potential" sums up a lot about MJ in the last few years to be honest.
    Funnily enough, there was an issue of Hickman's FF where Peter gets annoyed at how bad a roommate Johnny is, and one of the last straws is when he has a big party where he's also flirting with MJ.
    Pretty big violation of the bro code .

BANNED

To be fair, she was already dating Rhodey for like 2 years before Civil War II started.
    Yeah, and it was depicted as a pretty serious relationship. Neither of them have given it another chance since he came back..is it because he remains loyal to Tony?

Funnily enough, there was an issue of Hickman's FF where Peter gets annoyed at how bad a roommate Johnny is, and one of the last straws is when he has a big party where he's also flirting with MJ.
    I know.

To be fair, she was already dating Rhodey for like 2 years before Civil War II started.
    Meh. We saw someone in this very thread shipping MJ with Luke Cage. And Luke has been married to Jessica Jones for over 10 years now (they even have a child together!)

I would be all for this, like another poster mentioned, the only other relationships we got for her is Bobby Carr, which was a thing for one arc and then they're broken up the next time we see her, and Pedro, who completely disappears after his like 2nd or 3rd appearance.

I also really want to see her interact with more of the super-powered characters. As the time living with the New Avengers shows, she bounces off them really well and it leads to tons of great interactions. I think the most we've ever gotten post-OMD is a story where she teams up with the Black Cat, she fights alongside Venom in Go Down Swinging, and just now very briefly Jessica Jones. Even when she worked for Stark, her interactions never really went beyond Tony and Riri. There is still loads of potential for her.

Essentially, Mary Jane's arc with Stark Industries when it came to other supers and actually pairing her with someone beyond Peter, or another hero no less was essentially wasted potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I know.

Meh. We saw someone in this very thread shipping MJ with Luke Cage. And Luke has been married to Jessica Jones for over 10 years now (they even have a child together!)

lol you know, the one thing I really hated about that (I loved her and Peter's reunion and the subsequent stuff they told one another). But what I hated about that entire arc with Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, is essentially after that fact she pretty much for many years there, got frozen out of any bigger storyarcs and essentially just became a stay at home mom.

Not that I mind a hero becoming a stay at home mom, but it felt to me like it was used to freeze her out of any future stories once her and Luke became officially official. Once that happened we rarely saw Jessica again. Compare that to how often The Fantastic Four and Sue Storm and such were still in action far after they had children, or when their children were still young, heck one of my favorite X-23 stories involves her trying to babysit them.

Jessica on the other hand was pretty much however kept on the sidelines primarily till she got the TV show and they gave her a solo comic series. But even still she was on the sidelines for quite some time before the show got her a Defenders run and Solo series in the comics. So it's good to see her back in action tbh.

But back to Mary Jane. The saddest thing is that many people feel that she should only exist as to be Spider-Man's girlfriend, and that's it. I am glad the development they'd been giving her, but it goes down to wasted potential, and as much as people say that it shouldn't be about her dating life, in the medium of comicbooks, people still see her as just the vehicle to being Spider-Man's girlfriend, or eventual girlfriend, and it's the "Status Quo is God" situation. I think her time with Tony Stark had they had her branch out, and actually get in a serious relationship, even with another hero, it would have done more in separating herself as a character outside of someone that will eventually always find her way back to Peter Parker cause that's what the Status Quo has to be.

As has been said, even Lois Lane has been able to stretch herself farther than that beyond Clark eventhough they're one of the most famous characters in comic book history. But Mary Jane is literally always on the sideline single, waiting for Peter to come back till a writer decides that's what they want to do, but in the meantime Peter can go every other which-way.

But I guarantee if during her time working for Tony she started legitimately seeing someone else, a hero or such and it lasted longer than one issue, suddenly Mary Jane becomes more than "Peter Parker's girlfriend/eventual girlfriend." and it strikes her more as an individual that can exist without the stigma of "when are her and Peter getting back together again?" attached to it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    But I guarantee if during her time working for Tony she started legitimately seeing someone else, a hero or such and it lasted longer than one issue, suddenly Mary Jane becomes more than "Peter Parker's girlfriend/eventual girlfriend." and it strikes her more as an individual that can exist without the stigma of "when are her and Peter getting back together again?" attached to it.
    Nobody wants to see MJ with anyone else but Peter though, same with not wanting Peter to date anyone but MJ. The two, when written properly, would never leave either's side after everything they went through. Any person MJ gets with people will just excuse it as "the devil magic is making her do it".

Why is that you may ask? Because MJ already told Peter in OMD that no matter what Mephisto does to them, no matter what happens to them, they will always find each other and be together again. Essentially, in the very story that tried to break the status quo, the writers inadvertently enforced it.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    As has been said, even Lois Lane has been able to stretch herself farther than that beyond Clark eventhough they're one of the most famous characters in comic book history..
    That only lasted five years and not much was made to develop it. Now she's his wife again and the mother of his son. Status quo and something more.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 09-01-2018 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Pretty big violation of the bro code .
    Peter's one to talk.

(The musical chairs romance of ensemble fiction will always puzzle me a bit.)

So what does MJ have to defend herself against villain attacks? I'd of thought Peter (being a genius and all) would have come up with a super weapon or knock off IM suit for her when some dumbass decides kidnapping her is a great move.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    So what does MJ have to defend herself against villain attacks?
    Baseball bats, web shooters, and guns.

They're super effective.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    So what does MJ have to defend herself against villain attacks? I'd of thought Peter (being a genius and all) would have come up with a super weapon or knock off IM suit for her when some dumbass decides kidnapping her is a great move.
    Knockoff IM suit? She actually had the opportunity to become Iron Spider back in ANAD. Wore it once to fight Regent then just unmasked and put it back in Avengers storage (where Miles's Uncle Aaron apparently later stole it).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

She has a web shooter Peter gave her during (I think) the time they lived in Avengers Tower.

She's used it post-OMD, when she and Pedro were attacked . . . I forget by whom.

MJ's attacker (it's weird to say "killer" because she was brought back within a few pages) also got Jessica Jones and Elsa Bloodstone. And nobody would say Elsa isn't a total badass.

New PeterxMJ fanfic.

Title

Adventures of Spider-Man and Spinneret

Summary

Set in Universe 7531 (mix of Marvel & DC with a few other things such as some stuff from Ninja Turtles thrown it). Sequel to "West Coast Spider-Man/Irresistible Arachnia" follows the continuing misadventures of Peter and Mary Jane as they juggle their personal lives with crimefighting and being part of the wider superhero community. Co-starring Wolverine, as their surly roommate, and a plethora of villains from Sinister Six, Venom, the Foot Clan, Kingpin & Mr. Negative.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1305316...-and-Spinneret

If so inclined, enjoy.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    She has a web shooter Peter gave her during (I think) the time they lived in Avengers Tower.

She's used it post-OMD, when she and Pedro were attacked . . . I forget by whom.
    The Goblin King's minions in the Superior Spider-Man finale.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    MJ's attacker (it's weird to say "killer" because she was brought back within a few pages) also got Jessica Jones and Elsa Bloodstone. And nobody would say Elsa isn't a total badass.
    Out of curiosity. Besides talking about being dead at some point did any of them mention the afterlife? I read the issue involving MJ due to being a fan (and rolling my eyes and not feeling it was worth it but I like the art and that at least Peter was going into shock now losing two gals he loved dearly though this time not by a reacting by panicking mistake of his doing but mostly I don't like death being hand waved and the gals mostly hand waved it while it hit Peter instead).

But something accorded to me about how strange many characters that die DON'T speak about the afterlife unless it's hell. In the Visions the series wrote that the afterlife exists and was proven (but synthroids like Viv and Vision don't have souls so don't have a afterlife when they die unlike others...yet maybe). Again since MJ 'died' in a non Spider-man book this won't have any impact on the characters (even though such things should). But still no mention of a afterlife?

Part of me was thinking maybe the 'good' afterlife(s) purposely either take away any memories of staying or interacting with others in the afterlife or the afterlife knows when 'truly' your time is permanently up and instead of putting the souls in a sort of status chamber asleep they instead then get to enter the good afterlife. Either way a case to ensure those that come back don't get distracted or try to kill themselves wanting to go back to the afterlife.
    Hell on the other hand wants you to remember the horrors and don't care for your well being.

Part of me wonders if that deal MJ and Peter made only affected the 'living' but the afterlife and the souls there knows full well everything. That for the seconds MJ was dead somebody close to both Peter and MJ tried to warn or tell them about the deal they don't recall.
    Doing so then MJ's temporary death would of been a catalyst and have a impact but not of the tragedy kind.

Matters of afterlife and souls remains hidden outside of hell it seems.