Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I don't know if anyone else finds this (maybe it's my screen) but I find all the red text makes this thread harder to read.
    It's just a bit of fun, but even I admit sometimes it can be hard to read

Extraordinary Member

The Russo brothers on Vision and Wanda:

Anthony Russo: Vision, of course, plays a very special role in Infinity War. He is the only character who has a Infinity Stone built into his body. We knew that put him into a very special place in our storytelling because of that. His well-being and safety was at stake if Thanos was going after the Stone. His relationship with Wanda was very important to us in this film because as their romantic relationship continues to develop the stakes of that character and his life become so important to her.

One of the most tragic moments of the movie–and one of our most favorite moments of the movie of course–is when she has to take his life in order to stop Thanos from getting the Stone by destroying the Stone that is in his head. And to watch those two characters approach that moment in the way they did is really one of the most inspiring parts of the story for us. Paul Bettany has always said he thinks about Vision as his primary motivation as someone who is seeking to understand humanity. And I think with that final gesture, Vision finally achieved full humanity.

Joe Russo: Scarlet Witch, like Black Widow, had a complicated history. If you start off as a villain it’s usually you’re motivated by self interest. What’s so compelling about her, is she has become of the characters who most readily displays empathy and love towards someone else. Her love story with Vision was really the most essential core of the film. And the real tragedy of IW is as they were cementing their relationship with one another, this external force injected itself. Forced her to make an incredibly difficult decision as a hero: Could you kill someone you love in order to save the universe?

Anthony Russo: And it was doubly tragic, too, because of her character history, as having lost her brother. Certainly one of the more tragic, and in some ways inspiring parts of the story for us.
    They'd better give us a good resolution to this story in 2019 or I'm going to... well, I'll probably keep seeing their movies anyway but I'll be sad.

BANNED

Agreed 100%

Quicksilver: No Surrender Is Giving the Maximoff Twins Some Much-Needed Depth
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/quicksilver-...ins-1828340195

Before they were Avengers, members of Magneto’s evil mutant Brotherhood, or the subjects of the High Evolutionary’s twisted experiments, Pietro and Wanda Maximoff were family—twins—and the only people in the world looking out for one another. The currently running Marvel Comic series Quicksilver: No Surrender is adding depth to their characters in the best way.

The Maximoffs have lived many different lives in the almost 55 years since they first appeared in X-Men #4. Gradually, they evolved from campy villains befitting the ‘60s into complicated, nuanced antiheroes whose personal lives have transformed the landscape of Marvel’s comics in different ways. Wanda, most often depicted as having a tenuous grasp on reality and her abilities to manipulate it with chaos magic, has been the driving force behind some of the most monumental events in the universe.

The sheer magnitude of Wanda’s power alone is what often makes her the target of villains, like Magneto, seeking to use her power for their own motives. While Pietro’s abilities are nothing like sister’s, their connection has always made him a power player in his own right, because he’s one of the few people in the world who understands and can emotionally connect with Wanda, something rooted deeply in their childhoods.

Because Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch only tend to have meaningful interactions during major comic book events, it’s rare that we actually get a chance to see them spending time together as siblings away from the theatrics of their superhero lives. But their bond has (refreshingly) been a major component of Marvel’s Quicksilver: No Surrender series from writer Saladin Ahmed and illustrators Eric Nguyen and Rico Renzi.

As tends to be the case with the silver-haired speedster, No Surrender finds Pietro alone, frustrated, and in trouble. Unlike in past rough spots where Pietro’s troubles tie back to his criminal past and continued flirtations with villainy, the enemies he finds himself faced with in No Surrender are demons of his own making.

Trapped in a world seemingly out of space and time where everything and everyone is frozen, Pietro’s been racing around the globe in search of a way out—a search that’s been repeatedly interrupted by strange apparitions resembling himself. When the false Quicksilvers aren’t attacking Pietro directly, they go after those who mean something to him, forcing Pietro to focus on keeping them safe, all while knowing that he simply can’t keep running forever.

In his solitude, Pietro’s had time to reflect back on the events in his life leading up to the present, and No Surrender really digs into the loneliness that exists at the core of his character. For Pietro, it isn’t just that he’s stuck in a world full of frozen people—being super fast makes it that, in a way, that particular kind of isolation almost feels familiar for him. Rather, No Surrender zeroes in on that important part of Pietro’s (and by extension, Wanda’s) identity by using Pietro’s literal race around the world as kind of metaphor for his being a person without a home.

Though their origins seldom feature prominently in stories about them, the Maximoff twins were born to Romani people living near Wundagore mountain before the High Evolutionary temporarily whisked them away as infants. Perhaps even more than their vigilante careers, it’s the time they spent together as children that taught them the importance of relying on one another for protection, because being Roma meant being born into a life of persecution.

When the apparitions set their sights on a frozen Wanda, Pietro races to save her, and in a series of flashbacks we see that Pietro’s lasting need to protect his sister is also the source of a deep-seated guilt and frustration. For all of Pietro’s lifelong attempts at keeping Wanda safe for harm, it’s undeniable that he’s just as often caused her pain. Almost every time Pietro’s attempted to save her, he’s ended up hurting Wanda in the process before she ultimately makes clear that she’s perfectly fine taking the world on alone. Understandably, this reality hurts Pietro, because, to him, it’s proof that she doesn’t necessarily “need” him in the same way that he needs her—she doesn’t wholly define herself by her relationship with her brother.

For Pietro, saving Wanda here is a solemn attempt to make right all of the wrongs he’s caused her over the course of their countless fallings out and reunions, but it’s also an important learning experience for him.

Frozen though she may be, Wanda’s still one of the most formidable witches of her era and, in fits and starts, she breaks through whatever barrier that’s separating Pietro from the rest of the world to remind him of something worth bearing in mind. As lonely and forsaken as Pietro might feel, especially when faced with another instance of his putting Wanda in danger, their relationship is a two-way street.

Wanda may drift away from Pietro, but she’s every bit as invested in protecting him as he is her. They’re one another’s people, and nothing short of one of Wanda’s more powerful hexes can change that.

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    I would prefer a list, just to make it easier, but if you want to include images you can.
    Sure Thing, will get to putting that list together soon, will take some time!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Sure Thing, will get to putting that list together soon, will take some time!
    Same, I trying to compile mine as well

Spectacular Member maximoffimpact's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Quicksilver: No Surrender Is Giving the Maximoff Twins Some Much-Needed Depth
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/quicksilver-...ins-1828340195

Before they were Avengers, members of Magneto’s evil mutant Brotherhood, or the subjects of the High Evolutionary’s twisted experiments, Pietro and Wanda Maximoff were family—twins—and the only people in the world looking out for one another. The currently running Marvel Comic series Quicksilver: No Surrender is adding depth to their characters in the best way.

The Maximoffs have lived many different lives in the almost 55 years since they first appeared in X-Men #4. Gradually, they evolved from campy villains befitting the ‘60s into complicated, nuanced antiheroes whose personal lives have transformed the landscape of Marvel’s comics in different ways. Wanda, most often depicted as having a tenuous grasp on reality and her abilities to manipulate it with chaos magic, has been the driving force behind some of the most monumental events in the universe.

The sheer magnitude of Wanda’s power alone is what often makes her the target of villains, like Magneto, seeking to use her power for their own motives. While Pietro’s abilities are nothing like sister’s, their connection has always made him a power player in his own right, because he’s one of the few people in the world who understands and can emotionally connect with Wanda, something rooted deeply in their childhoods.

Because Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch only tend to have meaningful interactions during major comic book events, it’s rare that we actually get a chance to see them spending time together as siblings away from the theatrics of their superhero lives. But their bond has (refreshingly) been a major component of Marvel’s Quicksilver: No Surrender series from writer Saladin Ahmed and illustrators Eric Nguyen and Rico Renzi.

As tends to be the case with the silver-haired speedster, No Surrender finds Pietro alone, frustrated, and in trouble. Unlike in past rough spots where Pietro’s troubles tie back to his criminal past and continued flirtations with villainy, the enemies he finds himself faced with in No Surrender are demons of his own making.

Trapped in a world seemingly out of space and time where everything and everyone is frozen, Pietro’s been racing around the globe in search of a way out—a search that’s been repeatedly interrupted by strange apparitions resembling himself. When the false Quicksilvers aren’t attacking Pietro directly, they go after those who mean something to him, forcing Pietro to focus on keeping them safe, all while knowing that he simply can’t keep running forever.

In his solitude, Pietro’s had time to reflect back on the events in his life leading up to the present, and No Surrender really digs into the loneliness that exists at the core of his character. For Pietro, it isn’t just that he’s stuck in a world full of frozen people—being super fast makes it that, in a way, that particular kind of isolation almost feels familiar for him. Rather, No Surrender zeroes in on that important part of Pietro’s (and by extension, Wanda’s) identity by using Pietro’s literal race around the world as kind of metaphor for his being a person without a home.

Though their origins seldom feature prominently in stories about them, the Maximoff twins were born to Romani people living near Wundagore mountain before the High Evolutionary temporarily whisked them away as infants. Perhaps even more than their vigilante careers, it’s the time they spent together as children that taught them the importance of relying on one another for protection, because being Roma meant being born into a life of persecution.

When the apparitions set their sights on a frozen Wanda, Pietro races to save her, and in a series of flashbacks we see that Pietro’s lasting need to protect his sister is also the source of a deep-seated guilt and frustration. For all of Pietro’s lifelong attempts at keeping Wanda safe for harm, it’s undeniable that he’s just as often caused her pain. Almost every time Pietro’s attempted to save her, he’s ended up hurting Wanda in the process before she ultimately makes clear that she’s perfectly fine taking the world on alone. Understandably, this reality hurts Pietro, because, to him, it’s proof that she doesn’t necessarily “need” him in the same way that he needs her—she doesn’t wholly define herself by her relationship with her brother.

For Pietro, saving Wanda here is a solemn attempt to make right all of the wrongs he’s caused her over the course of their countless fallings out and reunions, but it’s also an important learning experience for him.

Frozen though she may be, Wanda’s still one of the most formidable witches of her era and, in fits and starts, she breaks through whatever barrier that’s separating Pietro from the rest of the world to remind him of something worth bearing in mind. As lonely and forsaken as Pietro might feel, especially when faced with another instance of his putting Wanda in danger, their relationship is a two-way street.

Wanda may drift away from Pietro, but she’s every bit as invested in protecting him as he is her. They’re one another’s people, and nothing short of one of Wanda’s more powerful hexes can change that.
    What a great article to read on Wanda and Pietro! Thank you so much!
    Last edited by maximoffimpact; 08-16-2018 at 05:19 AM.

After reading No Surrender and seeing the nice nod to the Morgana Quest, it made me wonder. What do you think are Wanda's best moments? Simply list your favourite top 5 Wanda moments, please include Issue number so I can check them out and in about a week I'll create a Wanda's greatest moments list
    Well my top 5 Wanda monets> Still time to list yours

1. Avenger A (Avengers Vol 3 #3)
    2. Taking out Ultron (Avengers vol 1 # 171)
    3. Marrying the Vision (Giant Sized Avengers #4)
    4. Phoenix No More (AvsX #12)
    5. Defeating the Challenger (Avengers #689)

Talking

Wanda Maximoff Nouveau!
    by steevinlove!

https://www.deviantart.com/steevinlo...veau-599647948

Elizabeth Olsen's show Sorry For Your Loss debuts on Facebook on September 18. Here is a preview of that:
    https://ew.com/tv/sorry-for-your-los...ly-marie-tran/

After reading No Surrender and seeing the nice nod to the Morgana Quest, it made me wonder. What do you think are Wanda's best moments? Simply list your favourite top 5 Wanda moments, please include Issue number so I can check them out and in about a week I'll create a Wanda's greatest moments list
    I'll close this next week, to give people more time

Extraordinary Member

Not much activity here, but then there's not much to talk about. It's another very frustrating time to be a Scarlet Witch fan. No comic appearances outside of occasionally popping up in that Quicksilver mini, no settled future in the MCU and nowhere she can clearly go after next year... it's just waiting, waiting, waiting.

I even got into an argument with someone who claims the MCU versions of Wanda and Pietro are "whitewashed," which I almost never do (she's not whitewashed but if people would prefer her to be Roma I shouldn't tell them not to want what they want), so I think I'm just letting my concern over her future get to me. I would like to talk more about what she's doing but she isn't doing anything.

I personally don't think she'll be in the Doctor Strange sequel; if they were going to meet I feel like Infinity War would have had a line where Strange is aware of her existence (since she is a public figure). So I really have no idea where she can go. It would bother me less if she were doing anything in the comics though.