Page 42 of 182 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    The editors are always the ones interrupting the ongoing stories.
    Well,it's not interruption if the editor and the writer are the same person. At least Nightwing can have a long-term creative team in this way.

I don’t think we will ever get a long term creative team because if they are good they will get shifted to other series if they don’t leave themselves because editorial control. Red Hood is mostly outside the family so his stories are his own and there hardly any change caused by another book. Titans are seen as competition to the Justice League so they will suffer while the JSA gets pushed out of existence, Nightwing is competition to Batman do he will be used to show there is no competition.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    I don’t think we will ever get a long term creative team because if they are good they will get shifted to other series if they don’t leave themselves because editorial control. Red Hood is mostly outside the family so his stories are his own and there hardly any change caused by another book. Titans are seen as competition to the Justice League so they will suffer while the JSA gets pushed out of existence, Nightwing is competition to Batman do he will be used to show there is no competition.
    I would say Superman is competition to Batman,not Nightwing.

Quote Originally Posted by Onthetrapeze View Post
    I would say Superman is competition to Batman,not Nightwing.
    You didn’t understand what I meant, I am not talking about Battle Forums I am talking about DC worrying about Dicks age in relation to Batman hence why he was aged up to 16 when his parents died, Batman in most future realities outlives Dick. When they talk about Nightwing it’s done in Batman Of Bludhaven or poor Mans Batman. Superman/Batman is a different argument

I still don't think DC or WB has any intention of investing in the Nightwing brand or name. This is something I've been critical of for a long time. Until I actually see them want to push the Nightwing brand and name then we will continue to get stories like this where his narrative gets jerked around by other creators who don't care about the character beyond how he impacts a Batman, don't care about his solo book, or even how he gets crapped on in team books like Titans. Same with how they don't put the Nightwing name in titles of other media of him too. I feel like it is all related. People at DC don't view him as a brand worth promoting like that and is why his solo book will mainly be used as a stepping stone for creators and don't look at it as a long term project.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    To me, looks like Lobdell is buying time for the writers to pitch ideas to DC.
    All of this actually reminds me of the Forever Evil situation, maybe something good will happen out of this.

Also, he got amnesia, the easiest thing to resolve in the book of cliches.
    But with Forever Evil DC decided to put his book on hiatus for a few months and cancel the Tynion Nightwing book that they were planning on doing, where he was going to be Nightwing in a blonde wing to disguise himself and even removed him from Batman Eternal, in order to gather ideas and pitches for the post Forever Evil set up of Dick having his identity exposed. There they came up with Grayson. Here they aren't doing any of that.

Lobdell was put on the book to deal with the Batman #55 fallout and resolution because they were on short notice after Percy left. King in Batman isn't going to deal with any of it because he isn't interested (just like Johns wasn't interested in dealing with the post Forever Evil stuff), but this time around DC is shitting out some story Lobdell is writing where Dick gets amnesia, goes to Bludhaven to live a "normal" life, problems happen and he decides to become Nightwing again and regains his memories. So the hope that DC is planning on using this dramatic moment in Batman #55 to springboard Dick's title into an exciting new direction with a different creative team isn't happening. It's by-the-numbers generic as you can get for a post #55 direction. Then by the time Lobdell's run is over (hopefully it is short) the interest/hype after Batman #55 would have died down already.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I still don't think DC or WB has any intention of investing in the Nightwing brand or name. This is something I've been critical of for a long time.
    I agree with you there Badou and they're definitely also not interested in investing in any type of interesting, new, long term direction with him either. If they were editors would stop disrupting writers directions all the damned time. Happened with Higgins during the N52. Happened with Seeley and King with Grayson. Happened with Seeley and Percy with Rebirth. (I feel that Humphies was a stop gap measure as well to be honest). The problem with the Nightwing brand is that fans are expecting certain things from it and so Dick (no way in hell I'm calling him Rick or any of that nonsense) gets continually stuck in the same box and the editors do nothing but keep him there with their mandates. Its beyond frustrating.

But with Forever Evil DC decided to put his book on hiatus for a few months and cancel the Tynion Nightwing book that they were planning on doing, where he was going to be Nightwing in a blonde wing to disguise himself and even removed him from Batman Eternal, in order to gather ideas and pitches for the post Forever Evil set up of Dick having his identity exposed. There they came up with Grayson. Here they aren't doing any of that.
    Yeah, I don't get the sense there is anything on the horizon for Nightwing except more of the same mediocre nonsense we've had for years with the character. There's certain not a NTT, an upgrade to Batman or a Grayson on the horizon at any rate. I know a lot of you are complaining about Lobdell being their choice for this but in all honest they could have hired the best writer in their stable or in comics for this and I still wouldn't care to read it because the basic problem is far more widespread than the writers.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Your right that every storyline he has had since the New 52 has been derailed with Grayson being the most egregious, I know that he is going to come back as Nightwing but like I said earlier if he doesn’t upgrade his head gear DC will get none of my money. It’s just disrespectful to the fan to use his Domino mask as a weakness and continue to use it after he is “healed”.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

You think during this power vacuum in Bludhaven they'll reintroduce Nitewing as the fanboy who takes it upon himself to protect the city since Nightwing is gone then maybe get killed or injured in the process and spur Dick's arousal?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    You think during this power vacuum in Bludhaven they'll reintroduce Nitewing as the fanboy who takes it upon himself to protect the city since Nightwing is gone then maybe get killed or injured in the process and spur Dick's arousal?
    Well the "Knight Terrors" are the new vigilantes that were inspired by Nightwing's absence to fight crime, which somehow goes badly enough that Dick's "new friend" dies, which then is what leads directly to him becoming Nightwing again. Tad could be one of the Knight Terrors for sure, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    Well the "Knight Terrors" are the new vigilantes that were inspired by Nightwing's absence to fight crime, which somehow goes badly enough that Dick's "new friend" dies, which then is what leads directly to him becoming Nightwing again. Tad could be one of the Knight Terrors for sure, but we'll see.
    So basically We are Robin.

But I would honestly like to see Nitewing again.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    No, I don’t. That would be cool though. Honestly there are a lot of cool things they could do with this, but I’m not expecting anything more then by the numbers page filler. I don’t see them going into Dicks past lore, or coming up with any real fresh ideas. They are too unprepared, and quite frankly it doesn’t seem like they actually give a crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    No, I don’t. That would be cool though. Honestly there are a lot of cool things they could do with this, but I’m not expecting anything more then by the numbers page filler. I don’t see them going into Dicks past lore, or coming up with any real fresh ideas. They are too unprepared, and quite frankly it doesn’t seem like they actually give a crap.
    I just wish DC would get a few writers together to sit down, read some of Dick's past books and spitball some ideas for for a few days. Thats more effort than it seems like they are currently putting in.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

What would people want to see from this? What would be your pitch?

An idea I'd pitch would be to use the head injury to maybe give Dick some powers. Then have fun with the idea like they did with the spy direction in Grayson. Everyone knows it isn't going to be permanent but it is a direction you can have fun with for a few arcs where creators can try out some non traditional things. Might make a dull setting like Bludhaven interesting for a bit.

I wouldn't give Dick generic powers, like super strength, but since he got a head injury maybe give him some psychic or telekinetic powers and you can write a few stories that deal with him dealing with and learning how to use his new powers until the story runs it course. I know they did a story where Damian got powers I think after he got brought back but those powers were like Superman or New Gods level of power which would be too much. I would do something smaller scale so you can explore it more.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I just wish DC would get a few writers together to sit down, read some of Dick's past books and spitball some ideas for for a few days. Thats more effort than it seems like they are currently putting in.
    what the point when at any moment DC can tell them halt Batman needs this
    even Damian has more freedom and he not even legal

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    what the point when at any moment DC can tell them halt Batman needs this
    even Damian has more freedom and he not even legal
    yeah, fans would always tell me dick was his own man. Own man my butt! Nightwing is just robin in blue.