Page 130 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140180 ... LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 2724

Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post
    I think a live action show about Nightwing is almost impossible right now and for the foreseeable future. There are already two Batman-like-guy-without-powers shows out there (Arrow and Daredevil), and even Gotham is there to check off the Batman lore nostalgia box. There's really nothing about Nightwing's world or abilities that make him distinct enough to base a TV show or movie on.
    I wouldn't say it is impossible. There is talk of making a Batgirl show for the DC streaming service and that isn't really that different from what a Nightwing show would be. So it would just be a Nightwing spinoff show from the already ongoing Titans show. They already have an actor in place and established in their DC streaming universe. So there is a path for it happening, unlike the Nightwing movie.

That said, I think Dick gets more than enough popularity from cartoons as a side character, or a main in an ensemble like TT or YG.
    Not enough where it would effect the character in the comics. That is the point. He will need an other media adaptation with his name in the title to really change how DC views the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    A show could help, but even that depends of luck. The Flash TV series is pretty popular (more than the other superhero TV shows), so it's difficult to know if a Nightwing show can get the same luck. Also, it can be other factors that help the sales of Flash comic.

Of course, it's even difficult that DC Entertainment consider a Nightwing TV series without Batman (they plan Batwoman, but that decision was influenced by other factors).

The current Titans series seems to be successful, but its broadcast is more limited due to the format.
    Yeah, that will be the big problem. The Flash TV show reaches a lot more people than probably any show on DC's streaming service would. So even if the character somehow gets a solo show the audience might not be big enough to really change much given where the show would be.

Astonishing Member

I can see a Grayson-esque spy show happening, though. To keep it from being a generic spy show where anyone could be the lead, the emphasis would have to be on the fact that he's a former superhero turned spy in a world of superheroes and villains. It helps that Spyral has a lot of interesting characters and ideas attached to it. There's already a superhero/spy thing going on in Agents of Shield, but if Grayson is thematically different enough it can work.
    I think a Grayson spy show has even less oppotunity than a Nightwing show (and I don't think a Nightwing show has much possibility).

It would be a pretty generic spy show. Dick Grayson isn't a big name for the general audience (even if he's pretty known as Robin). If DC plans a spy show, they would probably use other new characters (or superheroes with secret identity).

Honestly, the way Titans is going (and Young Justice a few years back) is probably the best road for Dick to go from Robin to Nightwing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I wouldn't say it is impossible. There is talk of making a Batgirl show for the DC streaming service and that isn't really that different from what a Nightwing show would be. So it would just be a Nightwing spinoff show from the already ongoing Titans show. They already have an actor in place and established in their DC streaming universe. So there is a path for it happening, unlike the Nightwing movie.
    I didn't know there's a talk for a Batgirl show on streaming.

So far, I see more possibilities for a spinoff of Starfire. Dick has a good reception in Titans, but I do not feel that he has charmed the audience. Although maybe I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Konja7; 11-10-2018 at 02:24 PM.

I think a Grayson spy show has even less oppotunity than a Nightwing show (and I don't think a Nightwing show has much possibility).

It would be a pretty generic spy show. Dick Grayson isn't a big name for the general audience (even if he's pretty known as Robin). If DC plans a spy show, they would probably use other new characters (or superheroes with secret identity).
    A generic spy show today is more rooted in reality, and Grayson would take a more classic Bond route with the sci fi gadgets and villains. That sort of thing isn't being done by any modern TV shows (except AoS).

Batgirl makes sense because there are so few female-led hero shows. And imo if they were to make a Titans spin-off, I feel like any of the other Titans would be a more logical choice. But DC loves the Bats, so maybe they'll make a Nightwing show for their streaming service. That's a limited audience and isn't going to help comic sales like the CW's Flash did.

Extraordinary Member

Batgirl makes sense because there are so few female-led hero shows.
    DC has Supergirl, kind off Legends of Tomorrow (haven't seen new seasons 4 sofar, but in season 3 the male characters were imo mostly sidelined) and possibly soon Batwoman, thats not so bad.

That's a limited audience and isn't going to help comic sales like the CW's Flash did.
    Did the show really increase the sales much? I mean Flash was allrady one DCs biggest charcters.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    DC has Supergirl, kind off Legends of Tomorrow (haven't seen new seasons 4 sofar, but in season 3 the male characters were imo mostly sidelined) and possibly soon Batwoman, thats not so bad.

Did the show really increase the sales much? I mean Flash was allrady one DCs biggest charcters.
    Sorry, I meant in general/in the past there hasn't been many female shows, so it makes sense for them to be thinking about Batgirl because there's been a recent push to remedy that (Supergirl, Batwoman, the DC Superhero Girls show or w/e that's called). Though tbh I'm surprised they'd be talking about Batgirl when Batwoman is already in the works.

Someone said earlier that the show increased sales, which is why a NW show would be helpful to the character. But idk really.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    If anyone has any studies or anything, it'd be interesting to see them. Perhaps there's been another exception to the "larger media uselessness" rule that I didn't know about. But I would guess the tv show really didn't make much of an impact on floppy sales, personally. I'd hazard that a consistent, quality creative team did more to benefit the title than tv synergy.

Flash is also one of DC's biggest names, and among the most recognized superheroes on earth. Much like Superman, Spider-Man, and Wonder Woman, people are naturally inclined to like him. We *want* to like Flash, we just have to be given a good product to satisfy that need (because we don't like him enough to support him when the book isn't good). So when Barry gets a solid, long-term creative team it's not a surprise that his sales reflect that.

As an aside, I think Nightwing is in that same category even though "Nightwing" doesn't have any real brand recognition outside of the hobby shops. You tell people that Robin grew up and became his own superhero, people are going to be inclined towards curiosity and they're going to want to see that. But not enough to suffer through the crap DC gives us, and since Dick doesn't benefit from a long running, quality creative team (or even direction) the sales don't reflect that potential. He doesn't have the recognition that Flash does but he's got more than enough foundation to build on.

I'm willing to bet money that if DC put a solid creative team on Nightwing and treated the character like he matters, the sales would break into higher ground. He sells well already, but he could move some serious units if consumers had some confidence in (DC's treatment of) his title. And you wouldn't even need a big name like Snyder, Johns, or Bendis. A solid B-guy would probably work just as well. Someone like an Al Ewing or a Williamson would be enough.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I didn't know there's a talk for a Batgirl show on streaming.

So far, I see more possibilities for a spinoff of Starfire. Dick has a good reception in Titans, but I do not feel that he has charmed the audience. Although maybe I'm wrong.
    I feel Starfire is one of the weaker parts of the show from what I've seen. I'm not caught up on it, but I don't really see how they would make a Starfire show. She doesn't really have many connections beyond the Titans as a setting.

Batgirl makes sense because there are so few female-led hero shows. And imo if they were to make a Titans spin-off, I feel like any of the other Titans would be a more logical choice. But DC loves the Bats, so maybe they'll make a Nightwing show for their streaming service. That's a limited audience and isn't going to help comic sales like the CW's Flash did.
    The other Titans have even fewer source material to adapt. There isn't much you can do with them beyond a team setting. Like maybe Raven would be the only one since she is young enough where they can use her in a school setting (that is what her current solo is doing) but I can't see any of the others doing much when they don't have a lot to utility outside of Dick.

Well it isn't about it helping but just that it would give it the opportunity to. It would make the Nightwing brand more relevant where DC wouldn't treat the character as poorly in the comics and maybe use him a bit better. It would mainly be about having the Nightwing name in actual titles of other media instead of him just being part of a team or making a cameo appearance.

Sorry, I meant in general/in the past there hasn't been many female shows, so it makes sense for them to be thinking about Batgirl because there's been a recent push to remedy that (Supergirl, Batwoman, the DC Superhero Girls show or w/e that's called). Though tbh I'm surprised they'd be talking about Batgirl when Batwoman is already in the works.

Someone said earlier that the show increased sales, which is why a NW show would be helpful to the character. But idk really.
    Well they are also making a Stargirl show too on their streaming service. The Batgirl one is just a rumor at the moment I believe.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    If anyone has any studies or anything, it'd be interesting to see them. Perhaps there's been another exception to the "larger media uselessness" rule that I didn't know about.
    Are there any other exceptions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    If anyone has any studies or anything, it'd be interesting to see them. Perhaps there's been another exception to the "larger media uselessness" rule that I didn't know about. But I would guess the tv show really didn't make much of an impact on floppy sales, personally. I'd hazard that a consistent, quality creative team did more to benefit the title than tv synergy.
    The rule about other media not doing a lot for comic sales is generally true, but Flash is kind of the exception. Maybe it is because Flash never really had a big other media adaptation until now outside that poor early 90s show, but the CW show was a big hit and has raised the sales of the Flash comics some. It helped its sales from falling off as much as many of the books it used to sell around in the New 52, and since Rebirth the series has been DC's second most consistent selling solo title behind only Batman I think. So there are other factors involved but the book is better off now than where it was before the show came out.

Astonishing Member

I feel Starfire is one of the weaker parts of the show from what I've seen. I'm not caught up on it, but I don't really see how they would make a Starfire show. She doesn't really have many connections beyond the Titans as a setting.
    Well, I was speaking about the reception. It seems Starfire has the best reception of the audience in general.

I just don't see a big love for Dick in Titans show from the audience, so I don't think they will make a spinoff for him.

Of course, it's possible the places where I saw this don't reflect the reality.
    Last edited by Konja7; 11-10-2018 at 04:06 PM.

The other Titans have even fewer source material to adapt. There isn't much you can do with them beyond a team setting. Like maybe Raven would be the only one since she is young enough where they can use her in a school setting (that is what her current solo is doing) but I can't see any of the others doing much when they don't have a lot to utility outside of Dick.
    It's not so much about source material as it is about the concept of the character. The point of doing a TV show or movie is to tell new stories, not just adapt the comics.
    And as a concept, the other Titans are more exciting than Dick. There's a reason nobody has ever wondered why Marvel never made a Hawkeye movie. The only thing NW has going for him as a TV pitch is that he'd be a cheaper show to make because no powers.