Page 177 of 182 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,655 of 2724

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    I hope you realize there are publishers outside of the big two and some of the best comic writers aren’t even writing at the big two these days. Hell, dozens of these “proven” writers were unproven going by your definition of it.
    Thing is, one can be a proven writer in some respect and not be proven in another.

There is a huge differences between writing your own story in your own world with your own characters to your own schedule, compared to writing for one of the big publishers, with an established world, characters who have been around for longer than you've been alive, with a fixed schedule, and where your work needs to slot into the work of other writers and creators.

Border Town was getting acclaim and great press before Eric was outed. It still would’ve if (unfortunately), he wasn’t exposed.

I hope you realize there are publishers outside of the big two and some of the best comic writers aren’t even writing at the big two these days. Hell, dozens of these “proven” writers were unproven going by your definition of it.
    Guess I see a big difference in writing just 4 issues of your own series verses writing a much bigger ongoing series with a lot more editorial and management oversight. Seeley was far more accomplished than this guy before writing Grayson because writing for these bigger publishers (I know Esquivel was writing at DC's Vertigo branch) is still very different than writing your own small ongoing series that you have much more control over and don't have to worry about management or other writers and their stories. It is much more complex. Some writers can do very well on their own projects but suck when it comes to the Big 2.

What happens when y’all get that big name on your title and it still sucks?
    What is the alternative? It sucking with crappy writers? I don't get the question. Every fan would want better talent on their book regardless of the outcome because it shows how management looks at the series and the property.

But it sounds like you don't give a **** so I don't know why you are so bothered by it, lol.
    Last edited by Badou; 12-18-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Johns has written Dick better than anyone lately (and for the TV show). But I don't know how interested he is in comics now that he's doing TV. Maybe Fabian could take up writing Nightwing, and plot as well as dialogue. He likes Nightwing--maybe if he got to choose directions for it.
    How many of those episodes did Johns write? I have enjoyed Dick's character in the Titans show but I do have some problems with some of the decisions made with him. Some of those might be from Johns. It is miles better than what we've gotten in the comics though so I don't want to complain too much. It is a good adaptation overall and much better than I would have thought.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Thing is, one can be a proven writer in some respect and not be proven in another.

There is a huge differences between writing your own story in your own world with your own characters to your own schedule, compared to writing for one of the big publishers, with an established world, characters who have been around for longer than you've been alive, with a fixed schedule, and where your work needs to slot into the work of other writers and creators.
    You’re gonna have to give examples of writers who are good at their own work but suck at big two.

I’ll take a hungry new writer who’s looking to prove himself at this point. One that’s preferablly not a scumbag though. It’s a bit of a gamble sure, but it would still be better then Lobdell and his rehash of DC You ideas that bombed.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-18-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tako View Post
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12...vel-nightwing/

Turns out Nightwing's suffering was just about to begin!
    This is exactly why I just dropped Nightwing. Current arc is over and they're STILL defining him as amnesiac Ric who doesn't go by his real name OR even sport the costume. I don't need a regular ongoing about a guy who doesn't remember being the hero I liked while a bunch of posers parade around in his costume. Literally no idea what DC's endgame is with this one....other than to kill interest in Nightwing.

Astonishing Member

Johns has written Dick better than anyone lately (and for the TV show). But I don't know how interested he is in comics now that he's doing TV. Maybe Fabian could take up writing Nightwing, and plot as well as dialogue. He likes Nightwing--maybe if he got to choose directions for it.
    Even if Johns is still interested in comics, I doubt he is interested in Dick in comics.

You have to take into account that Johns has much more freedom to write the character in Titans show.

Also, in Titans show, Dick is the hero who seeks his independence and his own place. However, this is a Dick arc that has been seen too many times in comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I’ll take a hungry new writer who’s looking to prove himself at this point. One that’s preferablly not a scumbag though. It’s a bit of a gamble sure, but it would still be better then Lobdell and his rehash of DC You ideas that bombed.
    Problem with a young unproven writer is I don't know if they will be able to handle the amount the character gets jerked around by other creators and books. They are kind of at the whims of bigger creators and editorial. Probably more so with Nightwing that most. Maybe a more established writer could push back against that some, but if we got a young writer that was allowed to do what they want again like we got with Grayson then that would be great, but I don't know if we will ever get a series with that much freedom again with how management is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    How many of those episodes did Johns write? I have enjoyed Dick's character in the Titans show but I do have some problems with some of the decisions made with him. Some of those might be from Johns. It is miles better than what we've gotten in the comics though so I don't want to complain too much. It is a good adaptation overall and much better than I would have thought.
    I've watched the ending credits every week and he has scripted several episodes solo, co-written many others. There are many decisions in it that I'm not fond of, but it's much better than I thought it would be. Since Johns has graduated from paper into celluloid, I doubt he has much--if any--interest in comics anymore. The paychecks are probably better doing movies and television.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Im so glad I dont have that mentality. I'll drop a book any time I start to dislike it. No matter who the character is, or for how long the quality keeps me away. My collection is all holes, but I wouldnt want it any other way. I'll not tell DC with my wallet that they're doing a good job when they give me mindless, half-ass crap.
    I had that phase when I was much younger and am glad to have moved away from it.

Back on topic and in general to unhappy fans still picking up the book, Nightwing is my absolute favorite DC character but I can't sign off on DC's treatment of him or his generation. Ultimately, your collection can be salvaged at a later date using shops, conventions and online retailers. Vote with your wallet. Didio's grudge against the OG sidekick generation can only be validated if you support this sort of thing. Spend your money elsewhere on books you'll enjoy and look forward to each month, or on back issues staring Nightwing.

Mighty Member

When has the writer of an acclaimed book ever been “unproven”?

And man, that’s gotta feel terrible knowing no big writer really cares about your favorite character.
    The sad truth when your favorite character is a toxic brand in comics due to DC's management. Wally West fans know this too. DC hates their legacy characters. Silver Age wanking will never end.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I had that phase when I was much younger and am glad to have moved away from it.

Back on topic and in general to unhappy fans still picking up the book, Nightwing is my absolute favorite DC character but I can't sign off on DC's treatment of him or his generation. Ultimately, your collection can be salvaged at a later date using shops, conventions and online retailers. Vote with your wallet. Didio's grudge against the OG sidekick generation can only be validated if you support this sort of thing. Spend your money elsewhere on books you'll enjoy and look forward to each month, or on back issues staring Nightwing.
    Dick Grayson will be blamed for the low sales--not the creators or editorial. The comics industry is one of the few "professional" areas where you can completely destroy an entire line of books out of sheer stupidity--then get promoted on to more high-profile projects because you are a "name."

BANNED

I think writers are more interested in their own created characters than in legacy characters.

Astonishing Member

I think writers are more interested in their own created characters than in legacy characters.
    That's true.

Many writers are more interested in the big sellers or their own creations.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    That's true.

Many writers are more interested in the big sellers or their own creations.
    I'm so tired of new characters, the old ones are all damaged or broken in their own ways. Adding more is just making things more of a mess.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics