Page 11 of 182 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Always vote with your wallet.

I doubt if this injury thing happens that it'll stick.
    Wholeheartedly agree with this. The 'injury' does not inspire a lot of faith in me. It sounds too much like DC grasping at straws to make Dick interesting.

As Nightwing fans, though, what stories are you looking for? Me, I'd like the book to try (re)building Nightwing's connections to the greater DCU as a whole through, like, 20 issues of Nightwing team-ups in the vein of those old Spider-Man team-up comics. I wouldn't mind one-and-done stories or having an overarching plot; they selling point would be team-ups.

Have Dick interact with people other than the BatFam & Titans (though they'd still have one issue, each). Have Nightwing stumble upon Ravager and the rest of Deathstroke's crew. Have Nightwing and Steve Trevor on a spy-vs-spy chase. Have an issue with Tiger and the Skull Girls. Then have Nightwing on, like, a three-issue galactic trip where he interacts with the Green and Yellow Lanterns.

I just really miss stories of Dick having fun interacting with the rest of the DC universe. I feel Dick would be able to carry a team-up book the same way Spider-Man did.
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Right now I think Dick's book has been average to enjoyable. Nothing great but above his New 52 series. It feels like we are in a transitional stage right now just waiting for some big shake up. Whether that injury thing happens or something else, some big change is probably going to come out of Heroes in Crisis even if Dick isn't a part of the story.

I just want the DCU to feel like itself again, it has slowly been getting there but every time I read Nightwing or Titans I'm reminded of all the loss and changes. People complain about Dick regressing after Grayson but the problem is he was regressed from the start of reboot and has had an uphill climb ever since, everyone has. Grayson while fun and well written just doesn't fit Dick and maybe that's why people loved it so. An honest fun loving guy working in an industry built on mistrust, secrets, and seriousness makes for a great dynamic. If it went on any longer than it did I'm sure it would've turned sour and people would turn on it once Seeley and co left and someone else continued the idea. DC is still trying to find out what is going on with this universe. A big story like Heroes in Crisis plus Doomsday Clock and whatever is happening with JL Odyssey there are big changes coming. It feels like we never get a chance to breath anymore.

For Dick I just want some adventures with his friends and other heroes and some simple detective/superhero stories. The Dark Web stuff is alright but it feels like a faux big issue that "will" affect the greater DCU but of course won't. Just work on some introspective stuff so I can learn where Dick is, how he is, and what he wants.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post
    Have Dick interact with people other than the BatFam & Titans (though they'd still have one issue, each). Have Nightwing stumble upon Ravager and the rest of Deathstroke's crew. Have Nightwing and Steve Trevor on a spy-vs-spy chase. Have an issue with Tiger and the Skull Girls. Then have Nightwing on, like, a three-issue galactic trip where he interacts with the Green and Yellow Lanterns.

I just really miss stories of Dick having fun interacting with the rest of the DC universe. I feel Dick would be able to carry a team-up book the same way Spider-Man did.
    What you suggested is the right way to make Dick interesting.
    Sadly current DC thinks interesting=edge&traumatic.

Fantastic Member

Right now I think Dick's book has been average to enjoyable. Nothing great but above his New 52 series. It feels like we are in a transitional stage right now just waiting for some big shake up. Whether that injury thing happens or something else, some big change is probably going to come out of Heroes in Crisis even if Dick isn't a part of the story.

I just want the DCU to feel like itself again, it has slowly been getting there but every time I read Nightwing or Titans I'm reminded of all the loss and changes. People complain about Dick regressing after Grayson but the problem is he was regressed from the start of reboot and has had an uphill climb ever since, everyone has. Grayson while fun and well written just doesn't fit Dick and maybe that's why people loved it so. An honest fun loving guy working in an industry built on mistrust, secrets, and seriousness makes for a great dynamic. If it went on any longer than it did I'm sure it would've turned sour and people would turn on it once Seeley and co left and someone else continued the idea. DC is still trying to find out what is going on with this universe. A big story like Heroes in Crisis plus Doomsday Clock and whatever is happening with JL Odyssey there are big changes coming. It feels like we never get a chance to breath anymore.

For Dick I just want some adventures with his friends and other heroes and some simple detective/superhero stories. The Dark Web stuff is alright but it feels like a faux big issue that "will" affect the greater DCU but of course won't. Just work on some introspective stuff so I can learn where Dick is, how he is, and what he wants.
    i disagree, dick as a spy had a lot of legs, not just in terms of growth of his character but also in terms of the new doors it was opening for dick, when seeley was announced to be writing suicide squad they were hinting at Grayson/suicide squad/midnighter or wild storm becoming a big corner in the dcu where dick could be a relevant piece and his stories wouldn't get bogged down because some bat villan started feeling itchy, i think people would not have a problem with agent 37 mixing it up with the likes of RA and league of assassins or waller/SS or really any of the big hitters on the bat side of things, when NW goes against someone relevant, people almost expect batman to get involved, it seems obligatory for bruce to get involved because really why would't he, as far as status is concerned agent 37 defiantly had a higher ceiling then NW does, not just because of the inherent limitations in the NW identity but also in terms of story telling

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by yash View Post
    i disagree, dick as a spy had a lot of legs, not just in terms of growth of his character but also in terms of the new doors it was opening for dick, when seeley was announced to be writing suicide squad they were hinting at Grayson/suicide squad/midnighter or wild storm becoming a big corner in the dcu where dick could be a relevant piece and his stories wouldn't get bogged down because some bat villan started feeling itchy, i think people would not have a problem with agent 37 mixing it up with the likes of RA and league of assassins or waller/SS or really any of the big hitters on the bat side of things, when NW goes against someone relevant, people almost expect batman to get involved, it seems obligatory for bruce to get involved because really why would't he, as far as status is concerned agent 37 defiantly had a higher ceiling then NW does, not just because of the inherent limitations in the NW identity but also in terms of story telling
    Grayson was yet another attempt at getting out of Batman's shadow. As nice as it feels to have 'Nightwing' back, he has also, in my opinion, returned to the problem of being stuck in one place. After the initial hype of his return to Bludhaven was lost, I really started to miss Grayson. Apart from the fun of the book, it also had the potential for Nightwing to interact with more superheroes. While the Dick/Babs dynamic always provides a fun romp with nostalgia, it's pretty clear the writers are not interested in committing to a pairing (neither with Starfire, for that matter), so all we're left with is a cheap will-they-won't-they when we could have had Grayson palling around with (for example) Kyle Rayner or scuba diving with Aquaman.
    Let your wallet talk.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by yash View Post
    My big issue with this is that no one cares about the Wildstorm characters and the whole spy angle was given to Dick by Bruce. It wasn't even Dick's idea to go on the mission.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

My big issue with this is that no one cares about the Wildstorm characters and the whole spy angle was given to Dick by Bruce. It wasn't even Dick's idea to go on the mission.
    People here act like he was his own man in Grayson to talk badly about the Nightwng persona because the book was really really good, but Bruce gave him the mission and he had to report to Batman every night. The only reason Dick came back to Gotham was because Bruce wasn't answering back to him anymore.

Issue #9 he asked "Bruce, please, can i come home?" Can you imagine if Percy makes him ask something like this right now? People here would freak out.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    People here act like he was his own man in Grayson to talk badly about the Nightwng persona because the book was really really good, but Bruce gave him the mission and he had to report to Batman every night. The only reason Dick came back to Gotham was because Bruce wasn't answering back to him anymore.

Issue #9 he asked "Bruce, please, can i come home?" Can you imagine if Percy makes him ask something like this right now? People here would freak out.
    I don't get it, Grayson was great don't get me wrong but it was a mission for Batman. He accomplished his mission and took down the evil head of Spyral.

Mighty Member

It's true that Grayson had to report to Batman every night, but story-wise, how many times did any of the BatFam need to appear? How many times did Grayson get sucked into another BatFam story? Operating outside of Gotham/Bludhaven had the perk of bumping into other superheroes (which never came true, unfortunately) compared to staying in one city waiting for someone to appear. I honestly just want Grayson/Nightwing to expand his connections beyond the BatFam/Titans and get him involved with the greater DCU.
    Let your wallet talk.

It's true that Grayson had to report to Batman every night, but story-wise, how many times did any of the BatFam need to appear? How many times did Grayson get sucked into another BatFam story? Operating outside of Gotham/Bludhaven had the perk of bumping into other superheroes (which never came true, unfortunately) compared to staying in one city waiting for someone to appear. I honestly just want Grayson/Nightwing to expand his connections beyond the BatFam/Titans and get him involved with the greater DCU.
    How many times has he interacted with other heroes after Grayson? A lot more than his time with Spyral.

I don't get it, Grayson was great don't get me wrong but it was a mission for Batman. He accomplished his mission and took down the evil head of Spyral.
    It only started as a mission for a set up but Batman played a really small role in the story overall. Since shortly after Grayson launched Snyder did his whole Bruce forgot who he was story line. So Dick was on his own and even went back to Spyral after meeting Bruce who did not know who he was. After Grayson's first arc or two it became its own thing where he wasn't working on some mission for Batman any longer.

After issue #11, the Batfam started to appear more and more.
    Issue #15 was part of a crossover, Robin War, which is a thing people like to complain about the Nightwing book.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    It only started as a mission for a set up but Batman played a really small role in the story overall. Since shortly after Grayson launched Snyder did his whole Bruce forgot who he was story line. So Dick was on his own and even went back to Spyral after meeting Bruce who did not know who he was. After Grayson's first arc or two it became its own thing where he wasn't working on some mission for Batman any longer.
    Well, Grayson had a total of 20 issues. Dick came back from Gotham after the Bruce memory thing in issue 13, not shortly after Grayson launched.
    And issue #16 was the last one with the original creative team.

Extraordinary Member

After issue #11, the Batfam started to appear more and more.
    Issue #15 was part of a crossover, Robin War, which is a thing people like to complain about the Nightwing book.
    I think if the series had gone on for longer, he would have crossed over with the Rest of the Batfamily as much as Nightwing does, it was just for the first year that he was completely separated.

Incredible Member

Off topic:
    When Dick ran into Gordon while filling in for Bruce recently, Gordon merely said “ you’re the other him.”
    I thought it was well established that Gordon knew their secret identities while HE was Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by bearman View Post
    Off topic:
    When Dick ran into Gordon while filling in for Bruce recently, Gordon merely said “ you’re the other him.”
    I thought it was well established that Gordon knew their secret identities while HE was Batman.
    No idea anymore.