Page 129 of 182 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139179 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 2724
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Damian is Robin now. Tim has no right to it. He's old enough to cut his umbilical cord, unless he wants to stay in the womb forever like the itty bitty baby he is. If this is what the company thinks is wonderful, then give Damian another identity; I can't imagine him sharing it with a milque-toast sissy like Tim. Nightwing symbolizes Dick Grayson's personal journey to adulthood.
    Honestly,if Dick stops being Nightwing, the next one should be Damian.It just feels right.

Tim should get the Flamebird identity. No one is using it right now.

Grayson in a nutshell.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Tim already stole half of Dick's personality.
    Which part and when?

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    King's idea is bad. Sidelining Dick for Tim is not gonna be taken well. What important thing has Dick done in Rebirth? Nothing! Then why are we sidelining him and giving his mantle to Tim, who has his own? It's a double insult. Giving Tim something to do but taking everything from Dick.

smh...
    Sidelining how? If a city of a hero is incapacitated, logically a replacement is needed. It makes much more sense than letting a brain damage patient alone in a crime-riddled city.

Everyone hated Damian's Nightwing. The same will go to Tim's Nightwing. Nightwing is deeply connected to Dick's independence. Giving it to other characters makes no sense because they can't live up to the mantle's purpose. It's not like Batman or Superman, where they are symbols of humanity. Nightwing is a symbol of one person. It's a very personal mantle which is why it works.
    Everyone hating on everyone's replacement is why I never listen to it. Even Dick Grayson Batman has his haters. That said, I can count on fan hate to make sure the replacement isn't permanent.

As for Nightwing being a personal self-growth identity, that is not more important than a city that needs to be protected, and Tim can just give it back to him once he recovers. They're not enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    Damian has been Nightwing?!

Other than that, this seems like a trick question, but sure; once upon a time Robin's creation was tied to Dick, it was his mother name for him, it was his family colors but then was given to Jason because, then to Tim, who at least had some form of conection to Dick, until Lobdell got a hold of Tim's history...these days Robin is a franchise totally unlinked to any personal element.

Guess who lost with that generalization.

It isn't comparable to Dick being Batman because DC will never allow Batman to be separated from Bruce, from Dick they can take and take to make other characters work.
    Why would it be a trick question?
    That answer makes sense if they're making Tim Nightwing permanent. I'm only interested to see it for a year while Dick recovers.

The idea of Tim as Nightwing is as boring as Tim as Red Robin is. Tim’s not distinct enough to make that prospect interesting to me, and it’s basically already what Red Robin is. And we have already seen what happen to TTs when they tried to make that his, so no thank you.

The idea Damian taking over only peaks my interest, to a degree, because at his core Damian is vastly different then Dick. And what’s more it could potentially play off how Dick was the one who saved Damian. Damian in part is a product of Dick’s work as a superhero. So it would be a testament to Dick’s own work, like it was when Dick took over for Bruce. Cause Dick is a product of Bruce’s work. Dick and Tim do not have that relationship or story. Tim taking over as Nightwing wouldn’t serve as a compliment to Dick.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-10-2018 at 02:37 AM.

Dick and Tim aren't close enough anymore where him as Nightwing would work. The two barely interact and don't really have any kind of relationship anymore. So I don't see how it could work even if it is done.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I never said anyone else has to be interested in it, just that I'm interested, and only if it's classic Tim.

Mighty Member

We live in a world where we get a badass live action Robin Dick but a comics not-Nightwing Ric. What a world!

Since the reboot has there even been an instance where it was Dick and Tim interacting with just each other? Like an instance where Jason, the Titans, or Batman aren't also there but just the two of them. I can't think of one.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post

Grayson in a nutshell.
    Now I wish we had a panel of Dick Grayson shooting at things without any pants on.

On other points being discussed.

Robin might have been passed on from person to person but there really is only one Robin important to the Batman story and that's Dick. Everyone else are replacements that the can be erased and Batman will still remain true. I feel that's the reason Dick is still pushed as Robin. His Robin tenure is the most important and the without whom the Batman story becomes lacking/suffers.

New 52 DC erased Tim's time as Robin from the batman story and they still seem reluctant to restore it fully in Rebirth despite Tim having had a long running Robin solo and being the Longest serving after Dick. Damian and Jason can be removed and the core story of batman remains the same but Dick can't be erased

So while Dick is no longer Robin he is the only Robin that matters and the most Iconic.

Interesting idea from King but glad it didn't pan out. I don't want Tim becoming Nightwing at this time. It doesn't help the character and just highlights the Issues Tim has been having since Damian. YJ is a great direction for Tim.

I don't see Dick ever needing to give Nightwing to another hero even when he was a Spy Nightwig didn't get passed .

BANNED

We live in a world where we get a badass live action Robin Dick but a comics not-Nightwing Ric. What a world!
    Yeah, it would seem like a SANE parent company would want to capitalize on that. Oh, wait--that's just if the company bigwigs are interested in making money. Since DC's purpose is to act as some sort of Welfare system for well-connected old fanboys, who needs to turn a profit? That's for those grunts living in the REAL world.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Yeah, it would seem like a SANE parent company would want to capitalize on that. Oh, wait--that's just if the company bigwigs are interested in making money. Since DC's purpose is to act as some sort of Welfare system for well-connected old fanboys, who needs to turn a profit? That's for those grunts living in the REAL world.
    To be fair, DC comics section doesn't really can capitalize this. Unfortunately, the success on other media doesn't affect much on comic sales (that's one of the problems that current comics don't allow new readers to enter).

That said, DC comics would probably push Titans comics if its team was similar to the TV series team. However, these teams are pretty different at this point.

Yeah, larger media efforts like movies and video games don't really have much of an impact on comic sales. You see a tiny spike for a month maybe, and trades see a slightly bigger bump, but 99% of the time it has no impact. Comics are too insulated and poorly advertised to pick up any of that success. Since the modern era of comic book movies started in the early 00's, we've probably seen what, two exceptions to that rule?

However, Dick *might* be in a position where he *might* be one of those rare, rare exceptions. Let's say that the Nightwing film does actually get made, and let's say it's not completely horrible. I know those are two really big "maybes" and highly unlikely because WB suck, but let's pretend for a second. Now, that larger media success is going to result in merchandise sales, and while DC doesn't chase synergy like Marvel does, they do dip their toes in it. With such a strong, deep history and such a loyal fanbase, it's *possible* that a Nightwing film (or show or game or whatever) could result in a new direction and a slightly better than usual creative team in the comics......and it *might* culminate in the fanbase (which is already one of the best, most loyal in comics) growing by a noticeable factor.

Maybe.

Not likely. But if anyone at DC was going to be an exception to the "movie success doesn't mean comic success" rule, it'd be Grayson.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

A Nightwing show would potentially have more impact I think than a Nightwing movie. Like how the Flash show gave the Flash comic a consistent sales bump from when it started to being released. Before the show the Flash comic actually used to sell near or around where the Nightwing comic sold, but after the show came out the book jumped into being DC's 2nd highest selling solo hero book.

I think a show like that, or even a cartoon, give the character a consistent other media presence that has a longer run where fans might be more inclined to check out the comic property. I feel like movies can do that too sometimes, but I think they tend to cause a bump in trade sales rather than a bump in the ongoing comic issues.
    Last edited by Badou; 11-10-2018 at 01:06 PM.

I think a live action show about Nightwing is almost impossible right now and for the foreseeable future. There are already two Batman-like-guy-without-powers shows out there (Arrow and Daredevil), and even Gotham is there to check off the Batman lore nostalgia box. There's really nothing about Nightwing's world or abilities that make him distinct enough to base a TV show or movie on.

I can see a Grayson-esque spy show happening, though. To keep it from being a generic spy show where anyone could be the lead, the emphasis would have to be on the fact that he's a former superhero turned spy in a world of superheroes and villains. It helps that Spyral has a lot of interesting characters and ideas attached to it. There's already a superhero/spy thing going on in Agents of Shield, but if Grayson is thematically different enough it can work.

I think a Nightwing cartoon is also pretty much never going to happen. His city and rouges gallery aren't interesting enough, and everyone's just going to go "Why would we make a Nightwing cartoon when we can just do Batman again? Or any of the other DC properties we've never touched because we're too busy doing Batman?" That said, I think Dick gets more than enough popularity from cartoons as a side character, or a main in an ensemble like TT or YG.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    A Nightwing show would potentially have more impact I think than a Nightwing movie. Like how the Flash show gave the Flash comic a consistent sales bump from when it started to being released. Before the show the Flash comic actually used to sell near or around where the Nightwing comic sold, but after the show came out the book jumped into being DC's 2nd highest selling solo hero book.

I think a show like that, or even a cartoon, give the character a consistent other media presence that has a longer run where fans might be more inclined to check out the comic property. I feel like movies can do that too sometimes, but I think they tend to cause a bump in trade sales rather than a bump in the ongoing comic issues.
    A show could help, but even that depends of luck. The Flash TV series is pretty popular (more than the other superhero TV shows), so it's difficult to know if a Nightwing show can get the same luck. Also, it can be other factors that help the sales of Flash comic.

Of course, it's even difficult that DC Entertainment consider a Nightwing TV series without Batman (they plan Batwoman, but that decision was influenced by other factors).

The current Titans series seems to be successful, but its broadcast is more limited due to the format.