Page 21 of 182 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171121 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Not a fan of Rick. No one has ever really called him that and it would feel too forced and awkward. I think just calling him Richard would be better if they have to stop calling him Dick, because at least with Richard he actually gets called that sometimes in comics. So it isn't as forced.

But this feels like something they would do in prep for his appearance on the Titans TV show.
    That's what I'm thinking if it happens. No one cares about this stuff in comics, it's always other media that changes things because they actually make money.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Robin Nightwing and Arsenal

Fantastic Member

why would they change his nickname that has been called for 78 years just for a TV show?Even the Lego Batman movie dealt with it better than DC. What a short-sighted decision if it is true.
    Last edited by Onthetrapeze; 09-12-2018 at 12:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Onthetrapeze View Post
    why would they change his nickname that has been called for 78 years just for a TV show?Even the Lego Batman dealt with it better than DC itself. What a short-sighted decision if it is true.
    The idea of changing it after this long with many different media interpretations keeping Dick makes no sense.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Why focus on non-issues like these and change things that don't need to change instead of working on character popularity/story telling?
    Because actually investing in the character would require money, time, and effort. And DC seems to have no interest in giving Dick any of those things. His title apparently sells solidly regardless of quality (its consistent, if nothing else), so DC can just sit back, put mediocre talent on the book and make profit for basically nothing.

I also suspect they don't want Nightwing becoming too popular for fear that it'll cut into the Bat's profit margin.....but I have no evidence to support that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Because actually investing in the character would require money, time, and effort. And DC seems to have no interest in giving Dick any of those things. His title apparently sells solidly regardless of quality (its consistent, if nothing else), so DC can just sit back, put mediocre talent on the book and make profit for basically nothing.

I also suspect they don't want Nightwing becoming too popular for fear that it'll cut into the Bat's profit margin.....but I have no evidence to support that.
    Actually, I think we have. The evidence is the popular and critically acclaimed DickBats.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    But this feels like something they would do in prep for his appearance on the Titans TV show.
    I'd be surprised if he's not called Dick on the show, otherwise they wouldn't be promoting him with that name (which I'm pretty sure they have been).

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm pretty sure the mindset isn't that a name will fix all potential problems. Its just an outdated name. Changing his shortened name accordingly within respect to his full name isn't necessarily saying "Behold! Now everything is perfect!"
    Yeah, there's a reason Marvel's Nova, who debuted in the 1970s, has always been Rich, or sometimes Richie, Rider. Never Dick. Grayson's only kept the name this long because of grandfather clause.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, there's a reason Marvel's Nova, who debuted in the 1970s, has always been Rich, or sometimes Richie, Rider. Never Dick. Grayson's only kept the name this long because of grandfather clause.
    "Dick Grayson" is almost a household term. Everyone knows who he is (or was). The name wasn't stigmatized in the 1930's.

When it comes to trying to change the name part of me gets it, but part of me also just thinks it’s the people in the office who are in charge of character just trying to make it look like they’re doing something with him. I kind of feel this is all just superficial effort. I mean they want to change his name, and start this new direction, but what then just throw it on whoever they can find. Um, ok. Good luck with that. And all these "leaks". They’re not even trying to control the narrative.

Honestly, I think Nightwing is in trouble here. This past year I was already a little taken back by their creator struggles after Seeley left, and letting Abnett just continually wipe his butt with the character, but then they put Percy on and he was trying to build some things. So I thought, ok maybe not. But now we’re getting all this. A new direction up ending what his current new creative team was doing, who now is apparently leaving a couple issues into this new direction, and all these "leaks". And, well ya. Not good. I’m having a real hard time not questioning the people in charge of the character in the office here.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-11-2018 at 07:16 PM.

https://twitter.com/Benjamin_Percy/s...97788077006848

Issue #50 is his last issue. So he is off the book and says he couldn't tell the story he wanted it seems. I think he was going to have to write a story that wasn't his and I can see him not wanting to do that given he has other opportunities to do things that interest him in terms of writing.

This feels like a really good jumping off point for me. Nothing about the upcoming rumors from King having Bane order KGBeast shoot Dick in the head and the whole amnesia stuff and Dick dealing with some trauma just is a big turnoff. Bludhaven is as dull as ever and there is really nothing that exciting on the horizon it feels like.

Dm2_Zz9U4AAu_fF.jpg

Benjamin Percy
    @Benjamin_Percy
    9m9 minutes ago

Thread: 1) Thanks for the well wishes on The Comet Cycle. I'm going to hunker down and concentrate on finishing it. And I'm afraid Nightwing #50 will be my last in the series. I'm proud to have written it and I'm lucky as hell to have partnered w/ @CTMooneyham and @TravisGMoore

2). They’re world-class artists and good people. I’m leaving Nightwing in their great hands, and in the care of my fantastic editors Jamie Rich, Katie Kubert and Dave Wielgosz. It was my longtime dream to be part of the Bat Family and they’ve made it a career highlight.

3) See you next week for Nightwing #49, and on October 3rd for Nightwing #50. I really wish I could have told the story I planned to tell...but I promise I'm leaving you on a high note.

4) And finally, a thank you to @nickfil and @socialmyth , who made us all look better.

#50 is the beginning of the amnesia arc.
    The frick?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Dm2_Zz9U4AAu_fF.jpg

Benjamin Percy
    @Benjamin_Percy
    9m9 minutes ago

Thread: 1) Thanks for the well wishes on The Comet Cycle. I'm going to hunker down and concentrate on finishing it. And I'm afraid Nightwing #50 will be my last in the series. I'm proud to have written it and I'm lucky as hell to have partnered w/ @CTMooneyham and @TravisGMoore

2). They’re world-class artists and good people. I’m leaving Nightwing in their great hands, and in the care of my fantastic editors Jamie Rich, Katie Kubert and Dave Wielgosz. It was my longtime dream to be part of the Bat Family and they’ve made it a career highlight.

3) See you next week for Nightwing #49, and on October 3rd for Nightwing #50. I really wish I could have told the story I planned to tell...but I promise I'm leaving you on a high note.

4) And finally, a thank you to @nickfil and @socialmyth , who made us all look better.

#50 is the beginning of the amnesia arc.
    The frick?
    thank god they shut that down, I did not need amnesia crap

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    The amnesia continues. The writer isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    They didn’t shut it down. Percy is just jumping ship. We’re probably very likely still getting this amnesia direction. Just who knows by who, but given they are gonna have to find someone fast, and create an even faster story for it, ya I really think were in trouble here.

Hell I’ll be interesting to see if reader start to jump ship. This is rough stuff. They want this book to be a bimonthly seller, LoL, yet can’t find someone to take over a book, and when they do they almost immediately cut their legs out from under them. So now they have this new direction, but yet again have to find new creators for the book, something they have struggled to do under less pressed circumstances. Oh, and let’s not forget this is all coinciding with the Titans show launch LoL.

Honestly, is it just me here or does this seem like incredibly poor management. I’m sorry Nightwing is being left in good hand my butt. This is a mess.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-11-2018 at 08:29 PM.